Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

Hybrid View

Default List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

What was great:

• Parking was really easy for us this year. The walk in seemed easier too. We stayed until the end on both Friday and Saturday. On Friday, we easily walked to the car and cruised right out of the parking lot. Only sat in there for maybe 10 minutes. It was a little more taxing to get out Saturday night but it wasn't as bad as I've experienced in the past.
    • I loved the named-by-color paths that told you how to get back to wherever you came from. We were on purple and thought it was funny that the "Purple Path" sign looked like the "Purple Rain" album cover, and that the words "Purple Rain" were playing on loop along the path so people would remember where to go (although we felt bad for the security people that had to listen to that for hours on end. Hope there's no Manchurian Candidate type reaction from them the next time they hear that song on the radio.)
    • Main entrance was the easiest I've ever experienced. We probably waited in line to get in for a weekend total of five minutes.
    • Seperate bathrooms for the men and women. WIN! Cleanest bathrooms I've ever experienced at that festival.
    • Yuma tent. Loved it. To fix--expand it a bit, raise the speakers, and get rid of the couches. I loved the couches, but I suspect the line outside was because too many people were inside sitting around.
    • The Terrace: the shaded area seemed to be bigger this year. Also, it seemed cleaner than in previous years.
    • The lineup: thank you for creating one for music fans rather than one that attracts the worst kinds of crowds. The lack of horrible SHM cheesedick EDM really helped, IMO. I know there were douchebags, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as it's been in the last few years, and I think it's because of the lineup.

To Fix:

• Seriously, enough with the Heiny/New Castle beer options. California is practically the craft beer capital of the country. Bring in some crafts for us beer snobs.
    • A dedicated bike path/bike lot would be much appreciated and used. I'd bike in every day if I could bike in on pavement or at least solid sand rather than that thin beachy sand and not have to dodge walking pedestrians.
    • Some shade over by the Outdoor would be nice.
    • Do Lab: Either get rid of it or move it so the wub wub doesn't bleed into the Gobi. It was really bad this year. I really didn't care to hear the shit that was bleeding into the HTDA set. I think it's time to put it to bed.
    • "Here I Am" sticks: there were just too many. Security gave me shit about my contact lens rewetting drops (unopened) but they let people bring in giant sticks with Nicholas Cage heads glued onto them?
    Last edited by captncrzy; 04-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Default Re: List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

My only genuine frustration was not being able to get into the beer gardens for the Descendents.

Default Re: List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

I understand why they seperated the mens and womens restrooms this year, after the assault at stagecoach it's to be expected. But women ALWAYS use toilet paper, every time we walk in there we use some. So please leave extra toilet paper in the womens port o johns, or at least with the security lady standing there. I can't remember a single time I went into a bathroom where there was toilet paper. Luckily I carry wipes, but not everyone does.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I understand why they seperated the mens and womens restrooms this year, after the assault at stagecoach it's to be expected. But women ALWAYS use toilet paper, every time we walk in there we use some. So please leave extra toilet paper in the womens port o johns, or at least with the security lady standing there. I can't remember a single time I went into a bathroom where there was toilet paper. Luckily I carry wipes, but not everyone does.
    The separate bathroom areas were awesome, definitely cleaner portos and trailer bathrooms. I actually had the opposite re:tp though, I think I went into one bathroom the whole weekend that didnt have tp... those bathroom atendants were keeping stuff stocked. I kept wanting to tip them.... they have a less pleasant job than the bitches at the food stalls and they get tips. One girl had to bring what they called "the stick" into one of the trailer bathrooms to push some excess stuff down the toilet and she came in rammed that thing clean and we all went about our business. Awesome!
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

The clusterf*ck that happened at the entrance on 1PM Friday, wtf was that all about?? Waiting over an hour in 90+ degree heat with no water was not fun. Everyone was agitated and they only opened it up after people started singing protest songs.

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    The clusterf*ck that happened at the entrance on 1PM Friday, wtf was that all about?? Waiting over an hour in 90+ degree heat with no water was not fun. Everyone was agitated and they only opened it up after people started singing protest songs.
    this. not sure what happened to cause this, but it certainly wasn't from intense searches.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    this. not sure what happened to cause this, but it certainly wasn't from intense searches.
    [this was referring to the clusterf*ck getting in on Friday]

I got some pretty intense searches both Friday and Saturday, the most invasive I've experienced. One dude literally went through every pocket of my backpack three times, insistent I was sneaking in stuff, and found nothing. Our group had a ton of stuff confiscated - sealed food or water, 5 hour energies, the works. I've never experienced worse security checks than this year.

That said, this was my favorite fest experience in years at Coachella, so yay for that!

Things to fix

1) Get rid of the Do Lab. It's always been a nuisance to either the Outdoor Theater or the Gobi. Put it where the ferris wheel is. Put it in camping. Just get it out of the fields proper.

2) Scheduling. Conflicts happen. I've been going since 1999, and am used to it. However, this year it seemed they were intentional. In the past there at least seemed to be a diversity of styles/eras/fanbases. ie: If hip-hop is on the outdoor, new wave is in a tent, and folk is on teh main stage. This year, it seemed that the idea was to try to break up the crowd as much as possible to accomodate larger numbers. Example : Blur/Grinderman Both are huge exclusives to Coachella, and both are likely to share a similar fanbase. It's been widely documented here, so I don't think I need to illustrate more examples.

3) Crowds. This year seemed a lot more crowded than the past two years. Almost to a point of discomfort at times. Although it could be that the perception of this was also due to poor scheduling. If you put two bands that are going to appeal to the 40+ crowd on at the same time, obviously that's going to bottleneck the stages where the more current/popular acts are playing. Why have two overcrowded stages, and two empty stages? It doens't make sense. Also, having Gobi, Sahara, and Outdoor go dark all at the moment La Roux is starting is going to cause a crowd crush in the Mojave. Staggering the times could have avoided this.

The positives are too numerous to list here, but I think a lot could have been fixed by better programming on behalf of Goldenvoice.

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    2) Scheduling. Conflicts happen. I've been going since 1999, and am used to it. However, this year it seemed they were intentional. In the past there at least seemed to be a diversity of styles/eras/fanbases. ie: If hip-hop is on the outdoor, new wave is in a tent, and folk is on teh main stage. This year, it seemed that the idea was to try to break up the crowd as much as possible to accomodate larger numbers. Example : Blur/Grinderman Both are huge exclusives to Coachella, and both are likely to share a similar fanbase. It's been widely documented here, so I don't think I need to illustrate more examples.

3) Crowds. This year seemed a lot more crowded than the past two years. Almost to a point of discomfort at times.
    These seem contradictory. I loved the scheduling because of the crowd split. Yes, crowds exist. There are 75,000 fucking people out there.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    As a fan of all 4, the entire crowds from HTDA/SR/Blur/Grind could have all been a show at a single stage without any overcrowding.

Quote Originally Posted by crombrenner View Post
    Pros-
    Nick "motherfucking" Cave!! He owned Coachella this year, all four sets were rediculously good. Especially Stagger Lee. Brilliant move GV.
    Best acts I saw all weekend, why did they only get 45 minutes as a subheadliner? 2pm acts got the same set length. My Bloody Valentine got 75 minutes in 2009 in the same slot.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    [this was referring to the clusterf*ck getting in on Friday]

I got some pretty intense searches both Friday and Saturday, the most invasive I've experienced. One dude literally went through every pocket of my backpack three times, insistent I was sneaking in stuff, and found nothing. Our group had a ton of stuff confiscated - sealed food or water, 5 hour energies, the works. I've never experienced worse security checks than this year.

That said, this was my favorite fest experience in years at Coachella, so yay for that!
    I was stuck in this mess too. My friend disappeared for a couple minutes then came back to grab my group. We walked all the way to the right and squeezed behind a fence that was blocking a path to the purple entrance. I was so stoked not to wait in that line. I would of missed beardyman for sure. I had to throw away my 5-hour too, like redbull had a lock down on all the other energy drinks. The general store inside coachella said they were not allowed to sell them.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

Quote Originally Posted by ActionComics View Post
    I was stuck in this mess too. My friend disappeared for a couple minutes then came back to grab my group. We walked all the way to the right and squeezed behind a fence that was blocking a path to the purple entrance. I was so stoked not to wait in that line. I would of missed beardyman for sure. I had to throw away my 5-hour too, like redbull had a lock down on all the other energy drinks. The general store inside coachella said they were not allowed to sell them.
    They've never allowed food or drink. It's nothing new. 5 Hour Energy included.

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    Yeah, I was there too. Waited for freaking ever and they didn't open any new ares for entrances.

I guess the answer was blowing in the wind.

I feel like the bathroom separation meant cleaner bathrooms for both men and women. At one point Steph said there was a bathroom attendant in the bank by the Gobi, who was going in and cleaning up after every girl came out. And for the guys, we didn’t have to deal with TP left all over the seats that ends up on the floor and ultimately on the bottom of our shoes that I’m assuming girls put around the seat, but for whatever reason don’t drop it in when they’re done.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I agree that the color-coded paths were great. They got me over to the camping shuttles to the store and got to me to Lot 2 when I moved to day parking on Sunday. YAY.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I guess I get why there was separation between men's and women's bathrooms, and appreciated the extra "real" bathrooms with running water.

But, do they really need the same number for both men and women? I had to wait about 20 minutes to get in, while the men had no wait at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    I guess I get why there was separation between men's and women's bathrooms, and appreciated the extra "real" bathrooms with running water.

But, do they really need the same number for both men and women? I had to wait about 20 minutes to get in, while the men had no wait at all.
    yeah, that seems like a terrible misfire. in the campgrounds maybe it makes sense - fewer women camp overall than men - but in the venue it should probably be a 60/40 mix.

Man I LOVE the restrooms by the Outdoor Theatre. Those are fucking AWESOME and no one uses them.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Man I LOVE the restrooms by the Outdoor Theatre. Those are fucking AWESOME and no one uses them.
    I would walk 10 minutes out of my way just to use these ones.

These were my favorite by far

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

This was my first Coachella, but I've been to dozens of other festivals large and small. Coachella was easily the most well-run and well-organized experience I've ever had, infrastructure wise.

The good:
    - We got in late on Thursday evening, and though we waited probably two hours to get in, it went as smoothly as could be expected.
    - Camping grounds were easily navigable, amenities were easy to get to. It was pretty easy to get to a clean bathroom whenever needed, which was impressive.
    - The men's/women's bathrooms were a great touch. Quicker for the guys, cleaner/safer for the girls.
    - Staff was all really helpful and courteous.
    - Really never had to deal with long lines, anywhere. Water stations were all moving quickly, bathrooms were quick, food, beer, merchandise, you name it.

The bad:
    - Echoing above, the motherfucking Do Lab. Move it, or turn it down. The sound bleed was horrendous with the Gobi and Mojave.
    - Turn the Gobi up in general.

Compliments:
    • Shuttles remain A+ (and as mentioned in shuttle thread, they reduced the walk at the end of the night)
    • Lots of shade
    • Lots of art
    • Lots of food choices
    • Promotion tents were cool (Fruiterra especially)
    • Combo lockers were A+++ for a group of 7 of us who came and went at different times
    • Stages largely remained on schedule
    • Lots of alternatives to stages (I mean, there were lots of people this year and I feel like they were spread out at all the different stages, domes, beer gardens, art, and other activities)
    • Great Lineup!
    • The monster that is the Sahara is an impressive structure and can hold an impressive amount of people
    • The App this year was pretty cool (although using it of course is going to run down your battery)
    • Announcing through the App that Richie Hawtin was added to Sunday
    • Plenty of water choices
    • Freshers

Improvements:
    • Larger mixed drinks (I'm allergic to beer and the margaritas last about 2 seconds)
    • The walk back to the shuttles could have used a little more watering down to keep the dust down at the end of the night, but then again, there wasn't really room for a water truck along the yellow brick road
    • Noise bleed from Do-Lab
    • Not announcing through the App that Parov Stelar Band was not playing Sunday
    • $6 for a Freshers
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

FIX LOT 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I disagree that separating the bathrooms was a good idea. the lines at most of the restrooms were terrible most of the times I needed them. if the justification was the incident at stagecoach it really doesn't makes sense considering the bathrooms were already segregated there (weren't they?).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    FIX LOT 4.
    this! lot 4 sucked and I arrived early enough not to be stuck in that godforsaken land.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

The good:
    -Parking was easy. Didn't wait more than 5 minutes to get out of the lot
    -Most of the sets started on time
    -The air conditioned sponsor tents were great
    -Short lines for water

The bad:
    -Sound problems for some sets. Main stage sounded harsh from behind the sound board
    -Not enough vegan/organic food choices
    -Could use more interactive art

The ugly:
    -Being forced to leave heading East on 52nd when leaving parking lot is lame when most of the hotels are West of the polo fields. Added an hour to my driving time Sunday night. Once I got past the directed/blocked traffic suddenly there was movement. Does directing traffic make it worse?

What was wrong with Lot 4?

What was wrong with Lot 4?
    The-Godforsaken-Thorn-Infested-Horse-Patch-LOT-4
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

TOO MANY ANTS AND BUGS AT CAMP. For the first time ever I came home with a ton of bug bites and everyone I know that camped complained about them.

Otherwise, it was run pretty well this year. Agree about the toilet paper for the women's restrooms -- we need more! Also agree that the colored paths were super helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I never count on having tp in the bathrooms, always bring some wipes with me.