Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

Default List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

What was great:

• Parking was really easy for us this year. The walk in seemed easier too. We stayed until the end on both Friday and Saturday. On Friday, we easily walked to the car and cruised right out of the parking lot. Only sat in there for maybe 10 minutes. It was a little more taxing to get out Saturday night but it wasn't as bad as I've experienced in the past.
    • I loved the named-by-color paths that told you how to get back to wherever you came from. We were on purple and thought it was funny that the "Purple Path" sign looked like the "Purple Rain" album cover, and that the words "Purple Rain" were playing on loop along the path so people would remember where to go (although we felt bad for the security people that had to listen to that for hours on end. Hope there's no Manchurian Candidate type reaction from them the next time they hear that song on the radio.)
    • Main entrance was the easiest I've ever experienced. We probably waited in line to get in for a weekend total of five minutes.
    • Seperate bathrooms for the men and women. WIN! Cleanest bathrooms I've ever experienced at that festival.
    • Yuma tent. Loved it. To fix--expand it a bit, raise the speakers, and get rid of the couches. I loved the couches, but I suspect the line outside was because too many people were inside sitting around.
    • The Terrace: the shaded area seemed to be bigger this year. Also, it seemed cleaner than in previous years.
    • The lineup: thank you for creating one for music fans rather than one that attracts the worst kinds of crowds. The lack of horrible SHM cheesedick EDM really helped, IMO. I know there were douchebags, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as it's been in the last few years, and I think it's because of the lineup.

To Fix:

• Seriously, enough with the Heiny/New Castle beer options. California is practically the craft beer capital of the country. Bring in some crafts for us beer snobs.
    • A dedicated bike path/bike lot would be much appreciated and used. I'd bike in every day if I could bike in on pavement or at least solid sand rather than that thin beachy sand and not have to dodge walking pedestrians.
    • Some shade over by the Outdoor would be nice.
    • Do Lab: Either get rid of it or move it so the wub wub doesn't bleed into the Gobi. It was really bad this year. I really didn't care to hear the shit that was bleeding into the HTDA set. I think it's time to put it to bed.
    • "Here I Am" sticks: there were just too many. Security gave me shit about my contact lens rewetting drops (unopened) but they let people bring in giant sticks with Nicholas Cage heads glued onto them?
    Last edited by captncrzy; 04-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Default Re: List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

My only genuine frustration was not being able to get into the beer gardens for the Descendents.

Default Re: List your compliments and grievances here for them to fix (or not) for next year.

I understand why they seperated the mens and womens restrooms this year, after the assault at stagecoach it's to be expected. But women ALWAYS use toilet paper, every time we walk in there we use some. So please leave extra toilet paper in the womens port o johns, or at least with the security lady standing there. I can't remember a single time I went into a bathroom where there was toilet paper. Luckily I carry wipes, but not everyone does.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

The clusterf*ck that happened at the entrance on 1PM Friday, wtf was that all about?? Waiting over an hour in 90+ degree heat with no water was not fun. Everyone was agitated and they only opened it up after people started singing protest songs.

I guess the answer was blowing in the wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I feel like the bathroom separation meant cleaner bathrooms for both men and women. At one point Steph said there was a bathroom attendant in the bank by the Gobi, who was going in and cleaning up after every girl came out. And for the guys, we didn’t have to deal with TP left all over the seats that ends up on the floor and ultimately on the bottom of our shoes that I’m assuming girls put around the seat, but for whatever reason don’t drop it in when they’re done.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Man I LOVE the restrooms by the Outdoor Theatre. Those are fucking AWESOME and no one uses them.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    The clusterf*ck that happened at the entrance on 1PM Friday, wtf was that all about?? Waiting over an hour in 90+ degree heat with no water was not fun. Everyone was agitated and they only opened it up after people started singing protest songs.
    this. not sure what happened to cause this, but it certainly wasn't from intense searches.

This was my first Coachella, but I've been to dozens of other festivals large and small. Coachella was easily the most well-run and well-organized experience I've ever had, infrastructure wise.

The good:
    - We got in late on Thursday evening, and though we waited probably two hours to get in, it went as smoothly as could be expected.
    - Camping grounds were easily navigable, amenities were easy to get to. It was pretty easy to get to a clean bathroom whenever needed, which was impressive.
    - The men's/women's bathrooms were a great touch. Quicker for the guys, cleaner/safer for the girls.
    - Staff was all really helpful and courteous.
    - Really never had to deal with long lines, anywhere. Water stations were all moving quickly, bathrooms were quick, food, beer, merchandise, you name it.

The bad:
    - Echoing above, the motherfucking Do Lab. Move it, or turn it down. The sound bleed was horrendous with the Gobi and Mojave.
    - Turn the Gobi up in general.

I agree that the color-coded paths were great. They got me over to the camping shuttles to the store and got to me to Lot 2 when I moved to day parking on Sunday. YAY.

I guess I get why there was separation between men's and women's bathrooms, and appreciated the extra "real" bathrooms with running water.

But, do they really need the same number for both men and women? I had to wait about 20 minutes to get in, while the men had no wait at all.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Man I LOVE the restrooms by the Outdoor Theatre. Those are fucking AWESOME and no one uses them.
    I would walk 10 minutes out of my way just to use these ones.

Compliments:
    • Shuttles remain A+ (and as mentioned in shuttle thread, they reduced the walk at the end of the night)
    • Lots of shade
    • Lots of art
    • Lots of food choices
    • Promotion tents were cool (Fruiterra especially)
    • Combo lockers were A+++ for a group of 7 of us who came and went at different times
    • Stages largely remained on schedule
    • Lots of alternatives to stages (I mean, there were lots of people this year and I feel like they were spread out at all the different stages, domes, beer gardens, art, and other activities)
    • Great Lineup!
    • The monster that is the Sahara is an impressive structure and can hold an impressive amount of people
    • The App this year was pretty cool (although using it of course is going to run down your battery)
    • Announcing through the App that Richie Hawtin was added to Sunday
    • Plenty of water choices
    • Freshers

Improvements:
    • Larger mixed drinks (I'm allergic to beer and the margaritas last about 2 seconds)
    • The walk back to the shuttles could have used a little more watering down to keep the dust down at the end of the night, but then again, there wasn't really room for a water truck along the yellow brick road
    • Noise bleed from Do-Lab
    • Not announcing through the App that Parov Stelar Band was not playing Sunday
    • $6 for a Freshers
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

FIX LOT 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

The good:
    -Parking was easy. Didn't wait more than 5 minutes to get out of the lot
    -Most of the sets started on time
    -The air conditioned sponsor tents were great
    -Short lines for water

The bad:
    -Sound problems for some sets. Main stage sounded harsh from behind the sound board
    -Not enough vegan/organic food choices
    -Could use more interactive art

The ugly:
    -Being forced to leave heading East on 52nd when leaving parking lot is lame when most of the hotels are West of the polo fields. Added an hour to my driving time Sunday night. Once I got past the directed/blocked traffic suddenly there was movement. Does directing traffic make it worse?

What was wrong with Lot 4?

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    What was wrong with Lot 4?
    The-Godforsaken-Thorn-Infested-Horse-Patch-LOT-4
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

TOO MANY ANTS AND BUGS AT CAMP. For the first time ever I came home with a ton of bug bites and everyone I know that camped complained about them.

Otherwise, it was run pretty well this year. Agree about the toilet paper for the women's restrooms -- we need more! Also agree that the colored paths were super helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I never count on having tp in the bathrooms, always bring some wipes with me.

Good:
    -Parking/walking in from Day Parking - very easy this year.
    -Enhanced size at Sahara - was not nearly as crowded as previous years, for the most part (laughed at Baauer's crowd)
    -Great line-up - had my doubts, but was still running around like a madman for most of the festival.
    -IMPROVED CELL RECEPTION - hope everyone else had the same experience as I did, but cell reception (AT&T for me) was vastly improved from prior years - had little to no problem coordinating meet-ups in real time.
    -Huge combo lockers were a lifesaver - group of 8 never needed to meet up to grab our misc. shit we were packing back there.
    -Boutique (not sure if they had this in prior years) - was very neat and had a nice selection of decently unique Coachella art (picked up a poster).

Bad:
    -Sound at Main stage was fairly muffled on Friday - need to fix this next weekend/year.
    -Not more readily announcing Parov Stelar had cancelled - had it not been Sunday night, may not have been such a bummer, but I was furious...guys at the soundboard had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them, so I imagine that is why it wasn't announced.
    -Yuma capacity issues...noted frequently by other posters (although did see Hasselhoff while in line for 2 Bears...of course, he cut the line with the kids who had his head on a "Here I Am" stick. Pretty funny, the Hoff is getting old.
    -Small quibble, but the misters from last year - can we get those back next year (believe they were in-between the 3 far tents)? Those were nice when the heat was going.
    -Too many "Here I Am" sticks....noted above.
    -Do Lab sound...felt like it was louder than other years (while in the tents)...consider pointing the stage/subs towards back Food Garden, wouldn't that alleviate this issue completely? "Laura" during Bat For Lashes set was so blown over by the Do Lab.
    Last edited by summersnow; 04-16-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Mister note

There WERE a lot of ants this year. My younger daughter got bug bites up and down her legs -- she wore flip flops all weekend. However my other daughter and I wore knee high socks and were fine.

ALSO - I had the best cell reception ever this year. It was incredible.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 04-16-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I poop a lot. I have always just had a roll of tp in my bag. Works well if you have hay fever like I do too and need to blow your nose a lot out there.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

In the day time all the bathrooms are not crowded, at night - we ONLY use the ones by the Outdoor stage - which are completely empty. Not another person in sight sometimes.

Everything was super smooth this year. We did day parking and it was SO easy getting in and out of the lot and into the festival we had ZERO line all 3 days getting there between 12:30 and 1 each day.

Bad things - GET RID OF THE DO LAB - or move it over near the Sahara. It's awful.

Suggestions - add some shade tents like the ones near the food areas closer to the outdoor stage and maybe even
    by the big stage.

Cell phone reception was the worst it's ever been for me. (T-mobile) I either got no signal or full 3G, but unable to actually connect or do anything. Text message sent to me at 11:45 received around 4pm. In the past I was able to get some reception away from the stages. Really bad. Then, as soon as we leave the venue, great connection in the parking lot. Do the extra AT&T towers stomp all over the T-Mobile bandwidth? No point in bringing my phone at this point except to tell the time or play angry birds.

Overall, I have to say that top to bottom this was one of the best Coachella's for me! Of course there were a few issues along the way, but there probably always will be. I thought the set up of the Do Lab was awesome this year (sound bleed didn't bother me too much from the other stages when I was there, but I'm sure that's a timing issue as much as anything else). Loved that there were multiple full bars this year as well.

Some of the not so great ...I have a really tough time understanding how a festival that has been going on as long as Coachella has still ends up having camping issues. They closed the group lot down on Thursday for no real apparent reason. I just don't get it. Have an area, at the back of lot 10, that is designated for groups ... and then let them use it!! Or, don't have it and tell everyone it's first come first serve. Don't promise me a group lot and then threaten to cut my wristband when I wait for my group somewhere else!

the Yuma needs line control. It's fine with me if they don't increase the capacity, but it was pointless to even try to wait in that line if it had more than 50 people in it as everyone just cut the line. They need amusement park style line control with ropes or something like that so that there is some sort of order to who gets in.

This "totem" thing has to have a limit of sorts. I didn't mind the ones that were pool noodles that people just decorated, but the huge fucking faces and flags that blocked my view were completely uncalled for. One dude was waving a Canadian flag around at the main stage and he literally got booed into putting it away by everyone near him. There must have been at least a hundred people or more chanting "fuck Canada" at one point.

Pros:

- Excellent line-up

- The Yuma Stage: Finally, a dance stage for people who like actual DJs.

- Best selection of art in YEARS.

- Bathroom mantainence was the best I have ever experienced. Seperation of mens and womens helped.

- Showers. The encouragement by staff to only take five minute showers seemed to keep the lines moving. The longest wait I ever had for showering was maybe 10 minutes at the most.

- Yoga. I'm going to speak for my girlfriend, since it's more her thing, but thank you again for offering this service each morning.

- The repurposed wooden holding stuctures (or whatever you would call them) for the trash bins: great idea, and keeps the cardboard bins from getting airborn during any potential high winds.

Cons:

- Totum/"I am here" sticks. BAN THESE. It's been a slowly building problem, but none of that stuff should be allowed in the festival. Coachella has been great before about not letting this be a problem, unlike other festivals (like Glastonbury), but it has become way to lax on this issue. Goldenvoice/Paul T./Dani/organizers: PLEASE: NO TOTUMS NEXT YEAR OF ANY KIND.

- Security inconsistancy #1: On Saturday, I was not allowed to bring in fresh tangerines in? What am I going to smuggle into a damned tangerine? Other days, we were allowed in with them. Very strange stand taken there by security.

- Security inconsistancy #2: Either let me put my small backpack on the rail step or don't. This happened several times, at both vip rails and the front of stage rails. Yes, like Danny Masterson and other VIPs really care of I put my stuff there.

(I realize it's often difficult to keep all security on the same page, but it's still something that can be improved)

- Terrace noise nexus: I don't know how you improve this, other than maybe moving the Dome to the westside beer garden, but with the sound bleed from that, the Yuma, the Mohave, and the main stage (with some Do Lab thrown in), it becomes this weird area of just scrambled noise. Not a HUGE complaint, but I think it's a little much to have at last the Yuma and the Dome so close to each other. On that note...

- The Do Lab. Seriously, it was too loud and I could hear it at every stage I went to. The Do Lab folks already have their own festival now, so they should either turn it down, move it to the camping (which could be potentionally pretty great), or just don't let them have their set up anymore.

- Major Lazer/2 Chains massive overflows. An underestimation on someone's part, but it really clogged traffic for anyone trying to get out of the east exit of the Terrace.

Other than these cons, I think it has been one of the better times I have ever had out there this year, and was truly a wonderful time, even with the duststorm!
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I understand why they seperated the mens and womens restrooms this year, after the assault at stagecoach it's to be expected. But women ALWAYS use toilet paper, every time we walk in there we use some. So please leave extra toilet paper in the womens port o johns, or at least with the security lady standing there. I can't remember a single time I went into a bathroom where there was toilet paper. Luckily I carry wipes, but not everyone does.
    The separate bathroom areas were awesome, definitely cleaner portos and trailer bathrooms. I actually had the opposite re:tp though, I think I went into one bathroom the whole weekend that didnt have tp... those bathroom atendants were keeping stuff stocked. I kept wanting to tip them.... they have a less pleasant job than the bitches at the food stalls and they get tips. One girl had to bring what they called "the stick" into one of the trailer bathrooms to push some excess stuff down the toilet and she came in rammed that thing clean and we all went about our business. Awesome!
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Grievances:

-Clean the bathrooms more. Ones in the campgrounds were horrible and the ones in the venue weren't much better.

-THE YUMA TENT: Having a capacity on this tent made for extremely long lines and missed acts. They need to figure that out so you dont have to wait 2 hours to get in midday.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

that might have been the fastest ban ever. ahahahahahahah
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    Grievances:

-Clean the bathrooms more. Ones in the campgrounds were horrible and the ones in the venue weren't much better.

-THE YUMA TENT: Having a capacity on this tent made for extremely long lines and missed acts. They need to figure that out so you dont have to wait 2 hours to get in midday.
    Pretty much every tent I have ever seen has a capacity, you know, because it's a tent.