Thread: Coachella Power Station and 2013 art in general

Default Coachella Power Station and 2013 art in general

this was one of my favorite art installations this year. the hippo people never failed to draw a crowd and it was almost just as amusing to see people's reactions as it was the hippos. the snail was also very well done and it was pretty sweet to see it moving all over the place, even way over by the outdoor stage. and mirage (the white house thingy) is probably hands down the best shade installation we've ever had.

it feels like a big step in the right direction as the art has been lacking that extra something the past few years imo.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Default Re: Coachella Power Station and 2013 art in general

agreed, the art this year was particularly awesome. even the Trashed bins were all a little more interesting/fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I loved the white house thingy. Starting to live up to the "Arts" portion of the festival. I was kind of disappointed in the t-shirts, they looked real plain, but my friend found really cool stuff at the custom shop. Wish I had time to check it out.

pretty sure that Mirage is my all time favorite Coachella art installation. It was like perfect. Perfect place, perfect dimensions, perfect look.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I thought the arch last year was way cooler than the mirage thing.

Quote Originally Posted by emoassnolan View Post
    I loved the white house thingy. Starting to live up to the "Arts" portion of the festival. I was kind of disappointed in the t-shirts, they looked real plain, but my friend found really cool stuff at the custom shop. Wish I had time to check it out.
    The sleeveless tees at the boutique were really cool this year, I picked up two designs.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    pretty sure that Mirage is my all time favorite Coachella art installation. It was like perfect. Perfect place, perfect dimensions, perfect look.
    Agreed. It was amazing.

I also loved the trash can art. A friend of mine had a submission at B1 on the outdoor theater.. I saw a ton of other good ones too.

Yes, the Mirage art was awesome. It was cool to look up both night and day. The people dancing inside during the headliners was awesome. I also really like the snail. The fact that it moved really slow all day, was so perfect. I did not however understand that charging station and what the hippo costumes were about, kind of reminded me of The New Yorker cartoons.

I just posted this elsewhere, but this was the best art I've ever seen at the festival. Loved the bamboo incline thing because it was great to get a mellow overview of the festival...half heartedly watched Lumineers/Dinosaur Jr. from up here and it was the perfect lazy Sunday afternoon.

The Mirage/Mansion/Getty was perfect, Snail was awesome, the art in the campgrounds was fantastic, the hippos dancing in the power station was hilarious, loved the tesla coils, even the Do Lab looked gorgeous. A great year for the festival grounds.

The Mirage was amazing. I could not get enough of that swimming pool projection. That and the Gateway are my favorites of all time. But everything worked well together this year. The glowing ladybug cars, the mantis, snail... everything was just beautiful. And that big bridge brought a whole new dimension to the festival.
    Last edited by theGold; 04-16-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theGold View Post
    And that big bridge brought a whole new dimension to the festival.
    iswydt...

yea after going to the fest 10 years or so it was cool to actually be slightly above it for once. i saw some drunk dickhead bro on sunday around 2pm trying to rip off pieces of wood from the tunnel part. when i pointed it out to the sleepy oblivious security kid he was like "huh? what?" until i told him he should probably do something about it. makes me mad that someone would ignore the fact that some people put a lot of hard work into creating something unique and keww for our enjoyment. but instead Bro-bro McDbag's way of appreciating it was "yo dawg i think i can pull off some of this wood #YOLO!!!!".
    I'm locking this fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    iswydt...

yea after going to the fest 10 years or so it was cool to actually be slightly above it for once. i saw some drunk dickhead bro on sunday around 2pm trying to rip off pieces of wood from the tunnel part. when i pointed it out to the sleepy oblivious security kid he was like "huh? what?" until i told him he should probably do something about it. makes me mad that someone would ignore the fact that some people put a lot of hard work into creating something unique and keww for our enjoyment. but instead Bro-bro McDbag's way of appreciating it was "yo dawg i think i can pull off some of this wood #YOLO!!!!".

Did I do something there? idswidt...

Saturday night these two bros on the bridge started fist pumping to something they heard in the distance, and instead of walking down the ramp like any civilized human would do, they grabbed onto the metal bars in the middle and jumped off. This guy, who I presume was the designer or part of the build process lost his shit. "Don't you ever come back here again! If I see either of you near here, I will kick your ass!!" He was so pissed. Then later on, some guy threw up on it. The same man went over to help him off, but was clearly frustrated. I felt bad so my sister and I made sure to tell him how much we appreciated the bridge and what a cool spot it was.

People should be thanking Burning Man, not Goldenvoice/Coachella.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

I lost at least 5 hours throughout the three days thanks to the Power Station. I was trippin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    good to know. i'll thank both. takes two to tango and all that
    I'm locking this fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    I wouldn't have experienced any of it if it wasn't for Goldenvoice so I'm fine thanking them. They may create it for BM but the fact that Coachella pays them to use it allows them to create much cooler things knowing they'll be used multiple times...
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY