Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Perfomance?

Default Re: Worst Perfomance?

New Order was crap. I was really looking forward to them and thought that not only were they lackluster, but they sounded bad too.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

TNGHT needed to be louder but they were spinning well. I thought Moby was the worst thing all the weekend. So let down. You have Grammys, please be better than standard EDM.
    anything could happen

Worst performance by far and away goes to the Coachella sound team. I've been to many many festivals and none can touch Coachella in so many aspects, but once again sound issues were at the top of the complaint list. I don't have the behind the scene information to know where the problems are, but jeeze, figure it out already. I had to leave two shows (Rodrigez & Purity Ring) because they were mixed so poorly. At Rodriquez, I and at least a dozen other people around me turned back to see if the soundboard was unoccupied, only to be shocked to see that the gentlemen seamed completely content with what he was hearing. A big part of the problem is that the stages are to close to each other and that some are underpowered. The Outdoor Stage should be thrown away, and re-conceived from scratch. I think more than half of the 20 some shows I've seen there have had major sound problems.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    The Shouting Matches. Really not even a question for me. This was the worst set I've ever seen at Coachella.

20+ minutes late...but they were onstage the whole fucking time! They sound checked for over 20 minutes. They did not give a fuck, not once did they apologize or explain what was going on to the audience, they acted like they were above performing and giving a shit (maybe because nobody showed up for them?), when they did start they acted like the crowd were the ones in the wrong (you could practically hear the eye rolling in their music), and gave one of the most boring and uninspired performances. We left after 3 songs because we were so mad.

At least 2 Chainz apologized for being late. That was another contender for worst performance in the sense that he was late and it was a sloppy rap performance, and probably the worst crowd I've ever seen at Coachella, but I'll give it to him in that he whipped the crowd into a frenzy and it was some of the craziest crowd energy I've seen inside the Mojave. And at the end of the day, he did apologize and admitted that being late was all his fault.

I actually really loved the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and thought Divine Fits sounded great (but DF for me was one of those chill on the grass with your friends type of performances).
    The Shouting Matches ended up playing a full set, which was rude as **** to the Polica fans (they ended *after* Polica was supposed to start). It turned out to be a very, very good set, and I enjoyed it a lot, but it was still a dick move, and it fucked up the Gobi for the rest of the day.

^Yeah, I enjoyed the Shouting Matches; groovy Vetiver-like music. But still playing a full set after starting 30 minutes late? Fuck you. I'm pretty sure no one actually gives a shit about that band and it seemed everyone there was just waiting for Polica. For them to assume they still get their full set was douchey as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

i didn't really have any expectations for TNGHT, but they were pretty lackluster. they started late, started with two moody sort of ambient-tribal tracks, and then just lurched from one song to the next. i left and watched the rest of infected mushroom who weren't bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

so far it seems like the biggest problem/complaint was the sound team for the festival, specifically during rodriguez. hope they fix that shit by this weekend.

the real questions are:

a) who are the fucking amateurs they have working sound at this major music festival?

b) will the sound issues be better/worse/same/equal-but-different for weekend 2?

if they're worse I'm going to incite a riot against them !!! But really after a week to deal/train with problems if it's worse they're really f'n things up.

Rodriguez and Purity Ring were the worst for me.

It could've been because of the sound bleed from the Do Lab though.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    ^Yeah, I enjoyed the Shouting Matches; groovy Vetiver-like music. But still playing a full set after starting 30 minutes late? Fuck you. I'm pretty sure no one actually gives a shit about that band and it seemed everyone there was just waiting for Polica. For them to assume they still get their full set was douchey as fuck.
    I suspect there were more shouting matches people there than you think - they're a side product of Justin Vernon, AKA Bon Iver, who is pretty widely known to be an excellent musician.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    The Faint fixed their sound after about 3-4 songs and sounded great for the rest of their set.
    Well this is a bummer, because we left after 4 songs due to the sound being shitty. Oh well.

Modest Mouse sucked for a lot of reasons. Bad sound, too much chatter, too many bros.

Diiv was underwhelming. I posted elsewhere that they looked they were rehearsing in a garage. There were also sound issues.

My issues with sound were that they didn't pick up lead guitar for a lot of acts (especially diiv, social d) and too much bass and kick drum. They did get the sound right for Phoenix and vampire weekend and dinosaur jr though.

For me the worst performance was RHCP by far, we were dancing to Dub Fx in the do-lab for the first 45 minutes of RHCP and then decided we would go check them out for at least 2 songs before we headed back to the shuttles. We didn't even make through 1 song they were so goddamned boring

Purity Ring - Sound/boring (love the cd)
    TNGHT - sound/mediocre mixing
    Divine Fits - vocals way off
    Modest Mouse - Drunk/weird

Also I need to defend C2C, that was an absolutely amazing set to start the weekend off in party mode. I have no idea what that other commenter was talking about. Several people in our group had that in their top 5

Quote Originally Posted by 2+2=5 View Post
    Worst performance by far and away goes to the Coachella sound team. I've been to many many festivals and none can touch Coachella in so many aspects, but once again sound issues were at the top of the complaint list. I don't have the behind the scene information to know where the problems are, but jeeze, figure it out already. I had to leave two shows (Rodrigez & Purity Ring) because they were mixed so poorly. At Rodriquez, I and at least a dozen other people around me turned back to see if the soundboard was unoccupied, only to be shocked to see that the gentlemen seamed completely content with what he was hearing. A big part of the problem is that the stages are to close to each other and that some are underpowered. The Outdoor Stage should be thrown away, and re-conceived from scratch. I think more than half of the 20 some shows I've seen there have had major sound problems.
    Amen.

I had been to Bonnaroo before but this was my first Coachella. I couldn't believe:

1. How quickly I could walk in between the stages and tents
    2. How much sound bleed this caused

Obviously, you can't have 1 without 2, so it seems like something Coachella is fine with, but it really hurts some sets (off the top of my head Grimes, Youth Lagoon, the 10 minutes of Sigur Ros I caught before going back to Phoenix).

Would love to see them restructure the Outdoor next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    The Faint fixed their sound after about 3-4 songs and sounded great for the rest of their set.
    They had it fixed by Glass Danse, which is all that mattered - that song took off.
    C2C was great, enjoyed it more because it was something different and because they had some good showmanship for the Sahara (liked the DJ battle-off and getting on the mic for Intergalactic)
    For those complaining about the YYY's, I feel you - it's their new album. I didn't terribly like Under the Earth and Slave b2b, thought that bummed people out who were expecting more old stuff. That being said, they played Rich, so that was good, and Heads Will Roll was worth the wait.
    Worst of the wkd - Modest Mouse and Metric, by far - sound problems galore and both felt flat for most of their sets. Foals was relatively tame as well for their set, but seeing them tonight at El Rey, hope they bring it like they did on their last tour.

Quote Originally Posted by 2+2=5 View Post
    Agreed. Not sure if I'm noticing it more as I get older, but I've been to several Coachellas and it seemed like there were quite a few issues with the sound this year. Kinda disappointing because as far as sound at festivals go, Coachella is normally quite good.

Some bad examples from sets I saw:

Modest Mouse: TURN IT UP. I couldn't even hear the banter in between songs.
    Japandroids: Not sure how you screw this up - its a 2 person punk rock band. The guitar was mixed way too low.
    Beach House: Sound got better as the set progressed, but the guitar was buried under the organ for the first few songs
    Grizzly Bear: Guitars were treble and grating.
    Kurt Vile: Vocals were too low, although that could definitely be attributed to Vile mumbling into the mic.

In contrast, I'll give them credit, I thought the sound was great for Tame Impala, FOALS, Vampire Weekend.

Also, can we please just move that stupid Do-Lab somewhere else? It is a constant sound-bleed problem for sets on the outdoor and gobi tent.

I had a great time this year regardless, so it didn't ruin the festival for me or anything. But sound problems were a disappointment
    Last edited by SunDevil; 04-16-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Also, can we please just move that stupid Do-Lab somewhere else? It is a constant sound-bleed problem for sets on the outdoor and gobi tent.
    FUCK THE DO LAB
    anything could happen

Rodriguez was really struggling up there. Shame that it took so long for him to get this recognition. He had to be assisted on stage and once he started the sound issues made his set even more difficult. I was front row for TNGHT and the volume seemed fine to me. I got mixed feelings from Hot Chip, at times I was really enjoying their set, and at others they seemed bland.
    2013 Wishlist
    OUTKAST, Black Hippy, Ryan Hemsworth, Pleasurekraft, Shlohmo, TNGHT, Action Bronson, Flylo/Captain Murphy, Jamie xx, DJ Funeral, Lone, Cashmere Cat, De La Soul, Chief Keef, Flosstradamus,

Spiritualized was super boring to me. Each song was like 15 minutes long and they just sat there, almost put me to sleep.

The Mohave tent had the worst sound team ever. Just about every act started late because they couldn't do a proper set up.

Modest Mouse dude was HAMMERED. I thought they still sounded alright and I found him entertaining, but Im not really a big Modest Mouse fan so its not like I was left disappointed, also a lot of people around me were booing because of his 10 minutes of ranting about nothing.

Also, sound issues aside, Youth Lagoon lost me. Yeah, I know, I know, he has a unique voice and he's not trying to sound like a classically trained singer - but live it sounded even more whiny/nasal/strained to the point where I literally laughed. And his new stuff just isn't that great live.

Agreed with the sound issues. Almost every stage had some kind of issue with sound over the weekend. Monsters and Men, Lumineers and Purity Ring were the biggest issues for me.

Performance-wise, The Shouting Matches, Grinderman and Oakenfold were the worst I saw.

Every performance before 9pm on the outdoor, gobi, and mojave tents was completely fucking ruined by sound bleed from the do-lab's earthquake inducing bass.

Quote Originally Posted by wompwomp View Post
    Agreed with the sound issues. Almost every stage had some kind of issue with sound over the weekend. Monsters and Men, Lumineers and Purity Ring were the biggest issues for me.

Performance-wise, The Shouting Matches, Grinderman and Oakenfold were the worst I saw.
    Lol I walked past Grinderman and I think there was like 75 people watching the show.

Of Monster and Men, Gaslight Anthem, Portugal the Man, and The Lumineers all would have had great sets if they hadn't been completely ruined by shit sound.

Haha...one of the 75 and I LOVED Grinderman.

Nick Cave is a legend, but Grinderman is certainly an acquired taste.

sound was HORRIBLE for Earl Sweatshirt, and the fact that he used backing vocals the whole show did not help at all. just a weak set. if he didn't have Tyler to use as a crutch everyone would be calling this the worst set of the weekend.

The Shouting Matches just was not what I expected. should have gone to the Pappy & Harriets show (which I had tix for). as for them playing over Policas set, not surprised. they are basically brother/sister bands. Justin Vernon stayed out and helped soundcheck.

the sound at TNGHT was WAY too low. hardly any bass where I was at.

Of Monsters and Men were FAR too quiet as well.

overall the weekend was plagued with sound problems, part of the reason i'm thinking about doing Weekend 2 (or both weekends) next year.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Grinderman may have been my favorite set of the 4 Coachellas I have attended.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

I was probably 15 ft. in front of the sound booth for of monsters and men and they sounded perfect...... i don't know what sound problems you heard....
    09-10-11-12-13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    ...you will usually hear House music at a HOUSE (thus the name), Drum and Bass can be played anywhere and requires both a DRUM and a BASS in the song to be apart of the DnB genre, where EDM music stands for European Digital Music and really doesn't need an explanation because everyone knows what that sounds like.
    "No, No, you're not thinking - You're just being Logical" - Neils Bohr