Page 1 of 14 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Perfomance?

Default Worst Perfomance?

So for all you weekend 1 people, which bands/groups were you most disappointed with this year? Could be for any number of reasons. Maybe they sucked live. Spent too much time talking. Whatever reason.

For example I personally think that a band needs to be active and energetic instead of apathetic, miserable, lethargic zombies mindlessly playing the songs they played at every other venue they've been to that year. Like I want to see a show, not just you stand there with the look of a dead fish. It ruins the show for me if it's obvious they'd rather not even be playing. So I'm hoping that the sets I visit on weekend 2 are better than this.

But anyways, I'd just like to hear what sets you were most disapppointed with and why. Maybe I'll know what to skip myself in that case.

Default Re: Worst Perfomance?

I don't know about this year (haven't been there yet), but two years Cee-Lo showed up 30 minutes late for a 45 minute set. It was a disaster. No costumes, no Muppets. He just sweated in his white tee and sang his two biggest hits. Granted... he sounded fantastic... but I had been anticipating that show so badly! He can be such a showman when he puts his mind to it, but his unprofessionalism left me with a seriously bitter taste in my ear.
    --->Living-Silver.com <---

lmao least he was only 30 minutes late. Read on yahoo about how Rihanna was like 3 hours late to meet with a school full of kids after they worked their ass off to win a contest for her to make an appearance there. That and she didn't apologize either lmao.

I didn't see any bad sets, but there were quite a few that were fucked up by sound issues and sound bleed. Grimes, JEFF the Brotherhood, James Blake, TNGHT, Rodriguez and Japandroids** were all ruined by sound problems.

**I would have hated Japandroids even if the sound was good.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

The Shouting Matches also had mic problems and started late (but finished later). Left to catch Beardyman but came back and caught the last song. It sounded really good.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 04-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    JEFF the Brotherhood
    Aw hell naw

I would have hated Japandroids even if the sound was good.
    AW HELL NAW (agreed about the sound but what the fuck, there are like five or six other places to go, do that instead of dissing)

lol that sounds like a bad set then. I can't really blame the sound problems on the performers though. Of Monsters and Men had some sound problems at Acoustic Xmas but they were AMAZING otherwise. I can't wait to see them without all the stupid radio feedback bleeding into the speakers somehow...was weird...we were hearing the security radio frequencies being broadcast through the sound system...crowd started to get upset.

I love both Japandroids albums, but they really have not figured out the whole live performance thing yet. They have great energetic songs that could craft a huge set, but they talk too much between every song. They kill their own momentum. (Note, I didn't go to the festival, but have seen them a few times prior.)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I don't remember any sound problems during Grimes. I about halfway back in the center - maybe a little closer than mid tent, and thought she sounded perfect. All the GOBI sets were affected by sound bleed issues. I was on/near the rail for Spiritualized and the sound was crazy distorted. I moved back to mid-tent and it was 100x better. Also, I think Beach House sounded atonal/sharp, definitely not at all like their record, but that just could have been where I was sitting. I think the most disappointing had to be Rodriguez.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

I was at Beardyman and Polica for a bit but wasn't feeling either of them so I left both acts after three songs. I also reluctantly went to Dog Blood for the second half of their act because a number of my friends were there and they were god awful.
    Last edited by rasooli; 04-15-2013 at 10:11 PM.

TNGHT was highly disappointing. Was expecting a much better show from Hud Mo and Lunice. But getting to see that Daft Punk track on le screen made it worth going.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Quote Originally Posted by stcee View Post
    Aw hell naw

AW HELL NAW (agreed about the sound but what the fuck, there are like five or six other places to go, do that instead of dissing)
    I LOVE JEFF the Brotherhood, their set wasn't completely ruined but the bad sound was very distracting. I know I'm in the minority with Japandroids, but I just can't stand them /opinion. I left and saw Alt-J who I also hate and they were surprisingly fantastic.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I love both Japandroids albums, but they really have not figured out the whole live performance thing yet. They have great energetic songs that could craft a huge set, but they talk too much between every song. They kill their own momentum. (Note, I didn't go to the festival, but have seen them a few times prior.)
    They kept complaining about mic levels and after the drummer got up and went over to the sound guy to complain right up to him in front of everyone, their vocals went down the next song (Young Hearts Spark Fire). I had to leave after that, it was too painful.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    I don't remember any sound problems during Grimes. I about halfway back in the center - maybe a little closer than mid tent, and thought she sounded perfect. All the GOBI sets were affected by sound bleed issues. I was on/near the rail for Spiritualized and the sound was crazy distorted. I moved back to mid-tent and it was 100x better. Also, I think Beach House sounded atonal/sharp, definitely not at all like their record, but that just could have been where I was sitting. I think the most disappointing had to be Rodriguez.
    Grimes was ruined because I couldn't get a decent spot in the tent and the Do-Lab sound bleed was overwhelming. I'm sure she played a great set for the people who could hear it.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

I LOVE JEFF the Brotherhood, their set wasn't completely ruined but the bad sound was very distracting.

I really don't know what you mean. I was underneath the shady tent by the food court and that shit was fucking thick as a brick.

I was standing at the sound board and it was really muddy.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

XX blew major chunks

Rodriguez.

Rodriguez was pretty disappointing.

For me, the worst has to go to C2C. I was unfortunate enough to be in the Sahara beer garden during that set. Good god, that was terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

New order and Rodriguez were underwhelming. Stars was just distractingly mediocre
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

It's a bummer to hear that there were so many sound issues with so many artists. I'm going weekend 2; I hope GV (or whomever) figures something out by then. I realize there are a lot of variables involved, but people come from all over the world for this festival, and anticipate it for so long. It would be pretty disappointing to experience half a dozen bands have serious sound problems. How frustrating for both fans and artists.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    For me, the worst has to go to C2C. I was unfortunate enough to be in the Sahara beer garden during that set. Good god, that was terrible.
    Please, do explain.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    TNGHT was highly disappointing. Was expecting a much better show from Hud Mo and Lunice. But getting to see that Daft Punk track on le screen made it worth going.
    yep sound was shit. i liked the tracks they chose, but i couldn't enjoy myself cause it wasn't loud enough. it was one of my most anticipated sets of the weekend too

Grimes was ruined because I couldn't get a decent spot in the tent and the Do-Lab sound bleed was overwhelming. I'm sure she played a great set for the people who could hear it.
    This
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Quote Originally Posted by stcee View Post
    Please, do explain.
    It was bland, boring, & a bit too full of screechy effects. Granted, they were in the Sahara tent so maybe they were pandering to their crowd? I don't know. I dig the notion of four turntablists doing their thing live, but I just really, really didn't dig the tracks they played and couldn't get into it. Seemed uninspired. Every so often they would drop a really great break, and then bury it beneath a pile of shit while the lights went crazy and everyone fistpumped. Just wasn't my speed. Hat's off to you if you found that remotely enjoyable; you're a better man than I.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

I was pretty close during Grimes and she sounded amazing.

Dead Can Dance had some issues with the wind and it really fucked up their flow.

I think Metric had sound issues because it didn't sound so great, and they've been amazing when I've seen them before

Guedita threw herself at me but damn that was awful. The lastgreatman came in to finish her off but he fell asleep. Both combined taste more like vinegar than your average douche.

Aesop Rock was by far the worst act I saw, I was really looking forward to his set and dig some of his songs, but it was just terrible maybe i just didn't listen to enough of his catalog? I don't know, But it sounded pretty shitty

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Rodriguez.
    I think this was easy to see coming. All hype for the hipsters and the hipsters really dont like.

Nice to see them actually able to admit it for once though.

Purity Ring had the worst sound bleed of the weekend. The worst set was definitely Sparks. That set had no business on any stage in those fields.