Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Examples of Douche-Chella

Default Re: Examples of Douche-Chella

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    I have stuff I need in my backpack. Like suntan lotion and water.

Hate people that keep hitting people's backpacks when there is plenty of room just because they hate backpacks.
    This! I never, ever go to the front of a set with my bag and people still want to start shit. Some tiny girl kept hitting my backpack even though there was plenty of room. Everytime I turned to looked at her she looked down at the ground or pretended to be REALLY into the set. Funny thing, though, as soon as she saw my bag was full of streamers & confetti & party favors she was all friendly and wanted me to give her some. Stupid bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Yeah, for some reason the people who keep bumping into me or my backpack or grabbing inappropriate places are girls. Go figure.

I do go to the front with my backpack, but then I put it on my feet, out of the way.

I thought the crowd was so much better this year. So many nice people high fiving while walking by and offering to share whatever they had.

Of course there are people who bump you during sets while dancing or pushing through. I've always taken it personally and have gotten annoyed. Then, this year, I realized that if the people who accidentally jump on me while dancing or are trying to find their group were one of MY friends that I knew personally, then it wouldn't have even bothered me. So I told myself that everyone around me...we were all friends. And then it stopped bothering me.

I "fell in love with the sound":
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
    This. I was in the worst line at the Merch tent. People couldn't freaking decide even after being in line for 20 minutes. Ugh.
    What time did you go? I always make it a point to go mid day/early evening. first thing and end of night are always the worst. Although, I do most of my shopping in the boutique nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    What time did you go? I always make it a point to go mid day/early evening. first thing and end of night are always the worst. Although, I do most of my shopping in the boutique nowadays.
    Moneybags
    Me, too.

The holding hands pushing to the front was really bad during The Oh Sees. Just streams and streams of little ducks.

I had a backpack on, smallish hobo kind of one, and I took as much care as possible not to hit anyone with my backpack, to keep it out of the way of foot traffic as much as possible when i set it on the ground to dance, and I wore it on front of me during the more crowded sets so as to have more control over people not bumping into it, or me not bumping it in to them. I am one of those rare backpack people who are aware of myself as well as those around me.

I am mostly used to and can brush off the annoyances that come with this many people in that same place at the same time, but my biggest pet peeve are the people who really dont give 2 shits about the people they bump, or step on, or push past.

Did you just accidetally step on my foot? ok cool, it's crowded here... say sorry, all is forgiven, don't say anything and keep moving cause you've got to get to the sahara bro... You get the fucking curse of death from me straight to you.

Having the tiny girl lead the chain of 50 hipsters through the crowd. She can squeeze through easily cause she has zero percent body fat and is the height of a small child, but by the time it gets to person number 4 and they are getting progressively larger and sweatier... I am gonna want to punch person number 5 thru the end of the chain.
    I know plenty of people at Coachella, but we all had varying tastes in music and wanted to see so much different stuff we had to schedule meeting up with one another at different sets through the day. I have no idea how these large groups follow each other around all day. I actually heard one guy saying to his 10 or so bros, let's discuss this as a group...

Fuck your group bro, I am gonna go see what I want/came here to see and I'll catch you later.

And yes, the fat heads and totem polls, seemed out of control this year, and really ruined a couple sets when they were litterally in the way of my being able to actually see the artists on stage.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Quote Originally Posted by ANDITWASSUMMER View Post
    Last year everyone I ran into was like a smiling blow up bobo. You could just touch them and they'd float away and then right themselves. I do not do many drugs but my guess was that every other person was on Molly and that made for a pleasant day for me.
    Whether you (everyone as a whole) are drug-friendly or not, if you enjoy music festivals, you probably owe a sizable bit of gratitude for the people at the festival on molly.

I thought the crowd was absolutely fantastic this year, and I didn't have one bad encounter all weekend.

Everyone I actually interacted with were really, really cool, generous, and fun to talk to. Lots of folks there for their first, second, or third time who were psyched to just be a part of it. Each year I try to be generous and give away gum, candy, lighters, confetti, bandanas, anything someone needs that I don't; hopefully that helps counteract the retards just a teeny bit. Generally folks were great, but the minority of assholes can really ruin a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Everyone I actually interacted with were really, really cool, generous, and fun to talk to. Lots of folks there for their first, second, or third time who were psyched to just be a part of it. Each year I try to be generous and give away gum, candy, lighters, confetti, bandanas, anything someone needs that I don't; hopefully that helps counteract the retards just a teeny bit. Generally folks were great, but the minority of assholes can really ruin a lot.
    I really loved the crowd too this year. SO glad I brought an extra tent and sleeping bag along with us. The couple next to us flew in with only a rental car and some minimal sleeping supplies. We had everything they needed and it felt great to help. I'll always bring extra camping gear now. Amazing how much that came back around as well. So many good vibes.

I felt like there were fewer bros, but I only went to the Sahara tent once to check out the set up. And the bros I did encounter were nice. My friend joked, "Not as many bros this year. Instead, a lot more hipsters with really big muscles."
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by wompwomp View Post
    I thought the crowd was absolutely fantastic this year, and I didn't have one bad encounter all weekend.
    Hey, just because you're a Canadian doesn't mean you have to act all nice.

Actually, regarding backpacks, people who need to carry that much shit should get a locker. Most of the time half of the stuff in there people rarely need. Sunscreen, wallets, glasses, etc can all fit in a fanny pack. Personally I'm tired of people's backpacks hitting me when they try and get by, especially when it's some tall dude who doesn't even realize he's hitting people's heads with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    Agreed. I think this was the first year what I'm calling the Douche Totem (long pole/stick with something ridiculous on it) was in full effect.

Also, its pretty much the Rule number one of Coachella thermodynamics, no matter where you go in a stage, there will always be some guy directly in front of you with a backpack.

The smoking in the tents/stages, especially before the sets started, was my #1 annoyance.
    I didn't use a "douche totem" but I have to say-I'd rather have people use it instead of tons of idiots aimlessly pushing through the crowd trying to find his friends while talking to them on the phone...."Where are you?!..I am on the right of the sound board!!!"

i'm a backpack guy, but i like to stand toward the back, or against a rail where i can set it down if i have to. of course this does nothing to stop people from plowing into it, but i'm not carrying fragile glassware inside of it so it's not really a big deal.

i did seem to get shoulder checked a little more often this year, not sure what that was all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I noted exactly two instances of behavior that I would categorize as unforgivably douchey.

One was a drunk guy on top of another guy's shoulders before 2 Chainz started yelling "where the titties at?" (surprise, douches at 2 Chainz, this could have been avoided if I wasn't a bit of a 2 Chainz loving douche myself), and when a drunk guy in the campsites was hitting on my black friend by yelling "Shaniqua!" to get her attention.

Other than that, overall, I thought this crowd was far douchier than last year. I thought it was incredibly friendly and open minded. I also noted a substantial decrease of people filming things through their cameras and/or taking an obnoxious amount of photos. Last year I noticed that all weekend, this year I can't consciously remember one person doing it.

Then again, I was in the Sahara for a total of an hour and a half, the overwhelming majority of which was the full Eric Prydz set. The only other time was 15 minutes or so of Benassi before heading to the Sahara/Mojave beer gardens to grab some beers before Franz Ferdinand. So I can't speak on Sahara behavior, but the non-Sahara shows seemed universally friendly, pleasant, and fun.
    Last edited by travelfan; 04-16-2013 at 04:00 PM.

2 more examples of douchey-ness

people walking backwards, seriously folks you are at a crowded fest and do not have eyes in the back of your head, walk forward sir!

Also people so self absorbed in their cell phone that they walk around looking at the screen obvious to the people walking around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolswaglol View Post
    I don't see people on the map. somebody please help. does this mean coachella is canceled?
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_tree View Post
    I'm fairly convinced you can take over the world with zip ties and duct tape.
    Coachella lifer since 2007

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I have always worn backpacks to the fest but generally get very annoyed by people wearing them too. I ALWAYS take it off when i find my spot, and generally if there is any bit of a crowd I take it off and hold it in front of my legs as i walk through to find a spot.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sin View Post
    people walking backwards, seriously folks you are at a crowded fest and do not have eyes in the back of your head, walk forward sir!
    This was a preferred way of travel for me.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

crab-walking is the best
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Somersaults. It keeps things low and well protected.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    Douche Totem
    awesome. hope you dont mind if i borrow that reference
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

i agree the douche factor was lower this year (ignoring douche totems for now) but i still saw a few instances that bugged me

one of them being when i saw some bros before janelle monae giving some kid a hard time. he was alone and he'd been waiting patiently with the rest of us for quite a while. shy but friendly type from what i could tell. a dbag train showed up and parked next to him about 5 mins before the (delayed) start of the set. one of the dbags couldnt sit still, he kept swaying back and forth while talking to his friends as if music was playing and bumping into the kid every time he swayed. i noticed after i saw the kid giving the guy the evil eye behind his back every time it happened. the bros finally took notice and Mr. ADHD started saying shit real loud about "gee i hope everyone here is okay with me dancing! you know cause im going to be dancing alot yo!" and kept bumping into the kid, who kept moving away until he had no room, and the dude just kept bumping into him saying the same shit about how he hopes noone will mind him dancing because he's going to go off. then said bro started talking quietly with his friends. based on the looks they were giving and their body language it was pretty clear they were planning on doing something to this kid when the lights went out. i was waiting for shit to go down so i could step in if necessary but the kid took off right before the set started, noticeably upset.

i've had this shit happen to me before and it is annoying as fuck, so i dont blame him one bit. yes, it is a concert and we all want to dance, but when there is enough space that nobody around you is touching each other and you have such little awareness of your own body that you are constantly pushing someone unknowingly while dancing to music that isn't there, and then YOU get offended when someone is actually bothered by your unnecessary touchy touchy, then fuck you budday

funniest part was the bro was totally putting on the alpha male act, when in actuality the passive-aggressive way he handled the situation made him anything but
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    First-prize for me goes to the gang of shirtless dudes who pissed in a bottle and threw it over the crowd before James Blake. People like that listen to James Blake? Or is that just who the festival draws now? It was pretty shocking to see.
    This would probably be one of the few times I would actually make it a point to find the help of security.