Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So How About that Moby dj set?

Default So How About that Moby dj set?

Jesus Chris oh lord. My mind has never been fucked so hard by music. Definitely not what anyone expected I'm sure.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Default Re: So How About that Moby dj set?

I don't care for dudes' output nowadays (but omg how I love "Bring Back My Happiness" - HAPPY HARDCORE 4EVAR!!!111), but his big secret is that he is a naaaaaasty DJ.

And what about "Thousand", for the end? My mind hasn't been blown like that since I saw Aphex Twin at Coachella.

Thank you based Moby.

Really? He mainly just played fairly popular electro-breaks and electro-house songs from 2010-2011 or even older. With all the crazy new music in breaks and house that's coming out nowadays I found this pretty stale. This track never really gets old. It was the highlight of his set for me.

Setlist was very similar to this:
    http://www.1001tracklists.com/trackl...013-03-03.html
    Not very interesting in 2013 IMO, but I guess it was a nice throwback to the good old electro days.

i liked the set overall . but the constant build ups just ruined it ... goddamn do those same fucking buildups get stale quick.. how about just lowering the volume the dropping it not doing a drum/snare roll every 5 minutes ..

I posted this in another thread, but what bender is saying is what I thought Moby was about. I'm really surprised that board members are showing love for his set, as I thought he mostly played generic and sometimes cheesy house and electro. Is he really a must-see?

You guys are crazy, by far the best Sahara act of the weekend. First DJ I've ever seen stand on his equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Jesus Chris oh lord. My mind has never been fucked so hard by music. Definitely not what anyone expected I'm sure.
    Lol, welcome to cheese house. Moby played the same dj set as he did in '10, '11, and '12. I guess it does sound great when compared to the hipster wet dream of boring pop rock that was everywhere else over the weekend.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Lol, welcome to cheese house. Moby played the same dj set as he did in '10, '11, and '12. I guess it does sound great when compared to the hipster wet dream of boring pop rock that was everywhere else over the weekend.
    Right?!? Nobody can seem to give me a clear answer about why Moby was so good, and what differentiated his set from any other hard electro set from the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    You guys are crazy, by far the best Sahara act of the weekend. First DJ I've ever seen stand on his equipment.
    I like the cut of your jib.

Look, not all of us can be so fucking hep to know that he played nothing but {genre} {subgenre} {subsubgenre} throughout his set. All I know is that I got down with my old ass, loved the fucking visuals, and was enthralled to hear "Thousand" on such a huge soundsystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero23 View Post
    Right?!? Nobody can seem to give me a clear answer about why Moby was so good, and what differentiated his set from any other hard electro set from the weekend.

It was funky, the visuals were outstanding, Moby did stupid grandstanding that somehow felt appropriate, and he ended his set with "Thousand".

Fine if that doesn't appeal for you, but don't shit on those of us who loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by stcee View Post
    It was funky, the visuals were outstanding, Moby did stupid grandstanding that somehow felt appropriate, and he ended his set with "Thousand".

Fine if that doesn't appeal for you, but don't shit on those of us who loved it.
    I wasn't there, I am going weekend 2. It's just really strange to me to hear such good thinks about a set like this, especially since this board is notoriously brutal against acts that are anything close to "generic" or "cheese house."

I wasn't there, I am going weekend 2. It's just really strange to me to hear such good thinks about a set like this, especially since this board is notoriously brutal against acts that are anything close to "generic" or "cheese house."
    Well fuck this board. I'm 40 and I loved that shit.

I'm in my late 20's, have been listening to electronica music for 15 years, spent tons of time in the Yuma listening to Hawtin, Voorn etc and I had an absolute blast at the Moby set, including dancing so hard that I had two people next to me ask me if I was rolling (I wasn't). No matter how refined people's tastes are, everyone has a guilty pleasure or two.
    Last edited by Vortex; 04-15-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    I'm in my late 20's, have been listening to electronica music for 15 years, spent tons of time in the Yuma listening to Hawtin, Voorn etc and I had an absolute blast at the Moby set. No matter how refined people's tastes are, everyone has a guilty pleasure or two.
    Sounds good to me, looks like I'll be checking him out then!

i thought moby threw down lol. surprised to see mixed reviews

he definitely did throw down. although i left early to wait for richie hawtin's no show. though from what i did see, he played a lot of stuff that was familiar. still rocked for my first moby experience.

Checked it out and was surprised by how good it was. I was expecting cheese and heard none. I regret leaving early for Janelle Monae who was very late.
    If I was doing W2 I'd stay for all of Moby.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    i saw him do that....in the year 2000 opening for Bush. nothing new. fun to watch though. guiness record for BPM, i think.

im starting to realize that one of the reasons i am being drawn to try out some of these EDM sets is because the people that are all about it rave about them (sorry ) so much. really? moby fucked you mind? did he? think of those questions in louis CKs voice.

it was just a good time - hard to really convey that in zeros and ones

Going w2 so I watched him on the live feed and he looked like he was on a GOOD one!

Yeah, because a lot of people on this board are prentious fuck nuts
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

A bunch of us watched him on the live feed and I don't think one person didn't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    kvnty offered me 2 fists for one companion parking pass

left this after 20 minutes of relentlessly generic electro. really disappointing after SMD tore the doors off Mojave.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I'm going to ask this again with a little modification:

For all of you who loved Moby's DJ set (which I walked by and didn't stay because I had different acts to see), have you ever seen him DJ before? And if you have, was it in the last 5 years (since 2008, let's say)?

I've seen him DJ about 4 or 5 times at various fests/raves around the country...it's always been fun but nothing that unbelievable. The first time I saw the set I'd say it was really mind-blowing, but this was in 2008 when I had mediocre taste in edm; if I saw the same set today I doubt I'd find it special.

Oh and every time I've seen him he's played Thousand and gotten on the table/speakers. Soooooo... good to know he's still doing that. 5 years later... It sounds like he's been doing it since 2000?!

Safe to say, I'm happy with decision in skipping Moby. The Sahara looked cool though.
    Last edited by ods..; 04-15-2013 at 07:04 PM.

IF YOU FUCKS WANTED DUBSTEPORWHATEVERTHEFUCKELSEGENREMOBYHASNEVERBEEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SEEN MOBY!
    Just trying to get a word in.

Quote Originally Posted by stcee View Post

Is this your first time on this forum? It doesn't matter what your opinion is, people will shit on you. It's just a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Is this your first time on this forum? It doesn't matter what your opinion is, people will shit on you. It's just a fact.
    Oh no I've been here plenty of times. In fact, I've hurt the feelings of cunts like RotationSlimWang and capncrzy that they decided to fuck with my personal life. But fuck them, I paid for my tickets and I bought a shitload of merch so they can both blow me if they think they're gonna keep me from posting.

Hi, Wes.

His set was good, but it was nothing that I haven't heard or seen from him already. It wasn't face melting, but it certainly wasn't horrible.
    Last edited by algunz; 04-16-2013 at 08:32 AM.

It was fine and I'm glad I got to see him for about 30 minutes, but it wasn't anything too remarkable. I was happy he drew such a huge crowd -- would be great if that was parlayed into a repeat appearance on the lineup next year, but with his live band, opening for Depeche Mode or Daft Punk.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I like the Coachella package they sent out this year. we now all have a snail.....cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    In 12 more years, that snail will be nice and ready for you to fuck it.