Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: R Kelly

  1. #1

    Default R Kelly

    Phoenix shut up all the Daft Punk fans (myself included) Friday night with a guest appearance of R Kelly. I was watching the live stream and when the lights went out midway through the set, I thought, this is it, the robots are coming out. Only to be fooled into a mediocre performance by a man notorious for peeing on women. I like R Kelly's music sometimes, but him as a person is disgusting. Overall, Phoenix's move to do that really made me respect them a little more cause I can only assume a large amount of people saw them just for the small chance of seeing DP and were given the shocker of a lifetime. Well played Phoenix, well played.

  2. #2
    Member Peter_Tork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dusty record bin
    Posts
    185

    Default Re: R Kelly

    This was about as awesome as Snoops "appearance" at the end of Major Lazer's set. LAME. Phoenix still sucks.

  3. #3

    Default Re: R Kelly

    No one was actually there for phoenix, the most annoying crowd of the weekend, the idiots who thought DP were "confirmed"
    I had the worst interaction with another attendee because of the whole DP .
    I'm sorry though....
    That's a whole different thread.

  4. #4
    Member Y0UNGBL00D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: R Kelly

    they new exactly what they were doing

  5. #5
    Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: R Kelly

    I never would have respected Phoenix's set if they hadn't brought out a guy who pisses on teen girls. I was pretty impressed. Not even joking this time. Seriously.

    I mean it.

  6. #6
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,062

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Daft Punk has ruined Coachella.

  7. #7

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Daft Punk has ruined Coachella.
    Seriously this, Nothing can happen at Coachella without people being upset that DP wasnt involved.

  8. #8
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,062

    Default Re: R Kelly

    I swear this was an actual comment I heard from some idiots camping on Saturday morning:

    "Remember in 2011, when we were supposed to get Daft Punk on the main stage but instead they got the Chemical Brothers? Yeah that was really messed up, I mean the Chemical Brothers ended up being okay, but it's like we all paid to see Daft Punk and it never happened, so like wtf? C'mon Coachella, you owe us, they better appear at Phoenix."

    I literally wanted to just smack these idiots and kick em off the polo fields.

  9. #9
    Member CaseSensitive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: R Kelly

    They should have had Rick Astley come out instead of R Kelly.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,195

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I swear this was an actual comment I heard from some idiots camping on Saturday morning:

    "Remember in 2011, when we were supposed to get Daft Punk on the main stage but instead they got the Chemical Brothers? Yeah that was really messed up, I mean the Chemical Brothers ended up being okay, but it's like we all paid to see Daft Punk and it never happened, so like wtf? C'mon Coachella, you owe us, they better appear at Phoenix."

    I literally wanted to just smack these idiots and kick em off the polo fields.
    I 100% believe this was said, but Jesus Christ on a pony how can people really be this awful?
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

  11. #11
    Member Sensuality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    751

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by brianjamesvstheworld View Post
    Phoenix shut up all the Daft Punk fans (myself included) Friday night with a guest appearance of R Kelly. I was watching the live stream and when the lights went out midway through the set, I thought, this is it, the robots are coming out. Only to be fooled into a mediocre performance by a man notorious for peeing on women. I like R Kelly's music sometimes, but him as a person is disgusting. Overall, Phoenix's move to do that really made me respect them a little more cause I can only assume a large amount of people saw them just for the small chance of seeing DP and were given the shocker of a lifetime. Well played Phoenix, well played.
    You actually thought Daft Punk was coming out? hahahahahahahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

  12. #12
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,284

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Pretty disgusting in depth interview with Jim DeRogotis about the R Kelly rape charges.

    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...mac.php?page=1
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Pretty disgusting in depth interview with Jim DeRogotis about the R Kelly rape charges.

    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...mac.php?page=1
    That's a very disturbing piece. I never knew too much other than he wasn't found guilty of the charges that were plastered across television and the jokes made about him but this is very eye-opening and repulsive.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  14. #14
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,284

    Default Re: R Kelly

    I was interning at a video production house in Chicago a few years back when all of this was going down and I was given the esteem duty to have to take the pee video and digitize it into our editing systems and then lay it back off to tape. I guess the defense was trying to prove something along the lines that the tape could have been computer generated or something dumb. I didn't ask too many questions and just did what I was asked. But I remember sitting there watching this guy basically abuse this girl. It was uncomfortable to say the least. I'm pretty amazed at how a majority of media publications, TV shows, and people in general just don't seem to give a fuck that this guy is a disgusting piece of shit who should have his cock chopped off and thrown in prison.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

  15. #15

    Default Re: R Kelly

    R. Kelly Started #AskRKelly on Twitter and Things Didn't Go Too Well

    http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS...twitter#page/1
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

  16. #16
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,354

    Default Re: R Kelly

    He was found not guilty in part because the alleged victim denied being the person depicted in the video, and in part because the only witness that tied the alleged victim and R. Kelly together also had her credibility impeached when it was revealed that she stole a $20,000 watch from Kelly and received immunity to testify against him.

    That doesn't mean that it didn't happen, or that R. Kelly isn't morally blameworthy. But if the internet would actually go back and read about the trial, there was a pretty plausible way for a jury to find reasonable doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  17. #17
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: R Kelly

    There were tapes on the street. And I had heard of another video tape with a girl who was part of an ongoing relationship. This is the girl who was in the tape that was in the lawsuit.

    Yeah. Coaches, best friend's parents, pastor, half the family, grandmother, aunt -- but the mother and father never testified, the girl never testified. When we wrote our story about the tape, the girl and mother and father took a six-month vacation to the south of France. We'd been to the house several times. We'd rung the doorbell. This was an aluminum-siding, lower-middle-class house on the South Side, with a station wagon which is 13 years old -- you know what I mean? And now they're in the south of France. And one time the dad got a credit as a bass player on an R. Kelly album. He didn't play bass.

    The situations are incredibly complicated, and sometimes there is an element of: We're gonna exploit this situation for our favor. That doesn't mean that it's legal or it's right or that girl wasn't harmed. It tore that family apart.
    If this is true, R. Kelly is a sexual predator using his money to dodge the legal system.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  18. #18
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,284

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Just read through some of these charges and it is mind blowing that the man isn't behind bars. I completely understand that the jury found reasonable doubt and that many people didn't testify but holy hell, this is crazy.

    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...mac.php?page=4
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

  19. #19
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,195

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    I was interning at a video production house in Chicago a few years back when all of this was going down and I was given the esteem duty to have to take the pee video and digitize it into our editing systems and then lay it back off to tape. I guess the defense was trying to prove something along the lines that the tape could have been computer generated or something dumb. I didn't ask too many questions and just did what I was asked. But I remember sitting there watching this guy basically abuse this girl. It was uncomfortable to say the least. I'm pretty amazed at how a majority of media publications, TV shows, and people in general just don't seem to give a fuck that this guy is a disgusting piece of shit who should have his cock chopped off and thrown in prison.
    I'm not too surprised seeing as they did the same thing with Roman Polanski. Most of Hollywood and the media just turned a blind eye.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

  20. #20
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Duluth Minnesota
    Posts
    8,559

    Default Re: R Kelly

    His voice makes me forgive him.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

  21. #21

    Default Re: R Kelly

    it is crazy; I've never been really big into R-Kelly and i was just a kid when all the news broke, but I never shook off the fact that he was/is a sexual deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

  22. #22
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,195

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Same here. Most of my knowledge about the whole controversy came from the skit on Chappelle's Show.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

  23. #23
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,785

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm not too surprised seeing as they did the same thing with Roman Polanski. Most of Hollywood and the media just turned a blind eye.
    Yeah the whole Polanski thing never really got the attention it deserved. People should have written books about the case. Documentaries should have been made. At the very least you'd think it would be the subject of hundreds of Dateline-style news programs during the last forty years, but no. Blind eyes: turned.

  24. #24
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,195

    Default Re: R Kelly

    What about the fact that just about no one in hollywood said a fucking word and still praise this pedo?
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

  25. #25
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,785

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    What about the fact that just about no one in hollywood said a fucking word and still praise this pedo?
    That's not accurate at all. Did you learn about Polanski from sketch comedy shows as well? Between the Manson family butchering his pregnant wife and the statutory rape charges that guy was exposed to a level of media scrutiny that R. Kelly could only dream of. I'm also pretty certain that a few people in Hollywood have spoken publicly on the matter.

  26. #26
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,195

    Default Re: R Kelly

    I never said that they didn't receive any media scrutiny. My original point was that he was largely treated the same as R Kelly. People talked about it when it surfaced, once it went away people forgot and now for whatever reason R Kelly is popular with the hipster crowd. I guess I meant to say was that people were more than willing to forgive these two and look past what they did, when frankly I consider what they did unforgivable.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,731

    Default Re: R Kelly


  28. #28
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,785

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I never said that they didn't receive any media scrutiny. My original point was that he was largely treated the same as R Kelly. People talked about it when it surfaced, once it went away people forgot and now for whatever reason R Kelly is popular with the hipster crowd. I guess I meant to say was that people were more than willing to forgive these two and look past what they did, when frankly I consider what they did unforgivable.
    Yes, many people have forgiven Polanski for his crimes including the woman he had sex with as a teenager. It's worth noting that being a fan of someone's art does not necessarily mean that you condone every vile act the artist committed during his or her lifetime. "Either Chinatown is a great film or statutory rape is wrong - you can't have it both ways." I don't think it's that simple.

  29. #29
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,284

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Pretty good read.

    Rethinking R. Kelly: A Fan's Second Thoughts
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...econd-thoughts
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

  30. #30
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: R Kelly

    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Yeah the whole Polanski thing never really got the attention it deserved. People should have written books about the case. Documentaries should have been made. At the very least you'd think it would be the subject of hundreds of Dateline-style news programs during the last forty years, but no. Blind eyes: turned.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_P...ed_and_Desired
    Documentary.

    The teenage Polanski girl did an hour long interview on Larry king in the 90's.

Similar Threads

  1. R Kelly For 2011
    By Gribbz in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM
  2. NIN Feat. R. Kelly
    By involvelemons in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 07:58 AM
  3. KELLY KAPOWSKI
    By BlackDahlia in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
  4. R. Kelly for 2011
    By bludevil007 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM
  5. R. Kelly - The Zoo
    By bballarl in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 02:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •