Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R Kelly

Default R Kelly

Phoenix shut up all the Daft Punk fans (myself included) Friday night with a guest appearance of R Kelly. I was watching the live stream and when the lights went out midway through the set, I thought, this is it, the robots are coming out. Only to be fooled into a mediocre performance by a man notorious for peeing on women. I like R Kelly's music sometimes, but him as a person is disgusting. Overall, Phoenix's move to do that really made me respect them a little more cause I can only assume a large amount of people saw them just for the small chance of seeing DP and were given the shocker of a lifetime. Well played Phoenix, well played.

Default Re: R Kelly

This was about as awesome as Snoops "appearance" at the end of Major Lazer's set. LAME. Phoenix still sucks.

No one was actually there for phoenix, the most annoying crowd of the weekend, the idiots who thought DP were "confirmed"
    I had the worst interaction with another attendee because of the whole DP .
    I'm sorry though....
    That's a whole different thread.

they new exactly what they were doing

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

I never would have respected Phoenix's set if they hadn't brought out a guy who pisses on teen girls. I was pretty impressed. Not even joking this time. Seriously.

I mean it.

Daft Punk has ruined Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Daft Punk has ruined Coachella.
    Seriously this, Nothing can happen at Coachella without people being upset that DP wasnt involved.

I swear this was an actual comment I heard from some idiots camping on Saturday morning:

"Remember in 2011, when we were supposed to get Daft Punk on the main stage but instead they got the Chemical Brothers? Yeah that was really messed up, I mean the Chemical Brothers ended up being okay, but it's like we all paid to see Daft Punk and it never happened, so like wtf? C'mon Coachella, you owe us, they better appear at Phoenix."

I literally wanted to just smack these idiots and kick em off the polo fields.

They should have had Rick Astley come out instead of R Kelly.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I swear this was an actual comment I heard from some idiots camping on Saturday morning:

"Remember in 2011, when we were supposed to get Daft Punk on the main stage but instead they got the Chemical Brothers? Yeah that was really messed up, I mean the Chemical Brothers ended up being okay, but it's like we all paid to see Daft Punk and it never happened, so like wtf? C'mon Coachella, you owe us, they better appear at Phoenix."

I literally wanted to just smack these idiots and kick em off the polo fields.
    I 100% believe this was said, but Jesus Christ on a pony how can people really be this awful?
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by brianjamesvstheworld View Post
    Phoenix shut up all the Daft Punk fans (myself included) Friday night with a guest appearance of R Kelly. I was watching the live stream and when the lights went out midway through the set, I thought, this is it, the robots are coming out. Only to be fooled into a mediocre performance by a man notorious for peeing on women. I like R Kelly's music sometimes, but him as a person is disgusting. Overall, Phoenix's move to do that really made me respect them a little more cause I can only assume a large amount of people saw them just for the small chance of seeing DP and were given the shocker of a lifetime. Well played Phoenix, well played.
    You actually thought Daft Punk was coming out? hahahahahahahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Pretty disgusting in depth interview with Jim DeRogotis about the R Kelly rape charges.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...mac.php?page=1
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Pretty disgusting in depth interview with Jim DeRogotis about the R Kelly rape charges.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...mac.php?page=1
    That's a very disturbing piece. I never knew too much other than he wasn't found guilty of the charges that were plastered across television and the jokes made about him but this is very eye-opening and repulsive.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I was interning at a video production house in Chicago a few years back when all of this was going down and I was given the esteem duty to have to take the pee video and digitize it into our editing systems and then lay it back off to tape. I guess the defense was trying to prove something along the lines that the tape could have been computer generated or something dumb. I didn't ask too many questions and just did what I was asked. But I remember sitting there watching this guy basically abuse this girl. It was uncomfortable to say the least. I'm pretty amazed at how a majority of media publications, TV shows, and people in general just don't seem to give a fuck that this guy is a disgusting piece of shit who should have his cock chopped off and thrown in prison.

R. Kelly Started #AskRKelly on Twitter and Things Didn't Go Too Well

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS...twitter#page/1
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

He was found not guilty in part because the alleged victim denied being the person depicted in the video, and in part because the only witness that tied the alleged victim and R. Kelly together also had her credibility impeached when it was revealed that she stole a $20,000 watch from Kelly and received immunity to testify against him.

That doesn't mean that it didn't happen, or that R. Kelly isn't morally blameworthy. But if the internet would actually go back and read about the trial, there was a pretty plausible way for a jury to find reasonable doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

There were tapes on the street. And I had heard of another video tape with a girl who was part of an ongoing relationship. This is the girl who was in the tape that was in the lawsuit.

Yeah. Coaches, best friend's parents, pastor, half the family, grandmother, aunt -- but the mother and father never testified, the girl never testified. When we wrote our story about the tape, the girl and mother and father took a six-month vacation to the south of France. We'd been to the house several times. We'd rung the doorbell. This was an aluminum-siding, lower-middle-class house on the South Side, with a station wagon which is 13 years old -- you know what I mean? And now they're in the south of France. And one time the dad got a credit as a bass player on an R. Kelly album. He didn't play bass.

The situations are incredibly complicated, and sometimes there is an element of: We're gonna exploit this situation for our favor. That doesn't mean that it's legal or it's right or that girl wasn't harmed. It tore that family apart.
    If this is true, R. Kelly is a sexual predator using his money to dodge the legal system.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Just read through some of these charges and it is mind blowing that the man isn't behind bars. I completely understand that the jury found reasonable doubt and that many people didn't testify but holy hell, this is crazy.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...mac.php?page=4

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    I was interning at a video production house in Chicago a few years back when all of this was going down and I was given the esteem duty to have to take the pee video and digitize it into our editing systems and then lay it back off to tape. I guess the defense was trying to prove something along the lines that the tape could have been computer generated or something dumb. I didn't ask too many questions and just did what I was asked. But I remember sitting there watching this guy basically abuse this girl. It was uncomfortable to say the least. I'm pretty amazed at how a majority of media publications, TV shows, and people in general just don't seem to give a fuck that this guy is a disgusting piece of shit who should have his cock chopped off and thrown in prison.
    I'm not too surprised seeing as they did the same thing with Roman Polanski. Most of Hollywood and the media just turned a blind eye.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

His voice makes me forgive him.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

it is crazy; I've never been really big into R-Kelly and i was just a kid when all the news broke, but I never shook off the fact that he was/is a sexual deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Same here. Most of my knowledge about the whole controversy came from the skit on Chappelle's Show.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm not too surprised seeing as they did the same thing with Roman Polanski. Most of Hollywood and the media just turned a blind eye.
    Yeah the whole Polanski thing never really got the attention it deserved. People should have written books about the case. Documentaries should have been made. At the very least you'd think it would be the subject of hundreds of Dateline-style news programs during the last forty years, but no. Blind eyes: turned.

What about the fact that just about no one in hollywood said a fucking word and still praise this pedo?
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

What about the fact that just about no one in hollywood said a fucking word and still praise this pedo?
    That's not accurate at all. Did you learn about Polanski from sketch comedy shows as well? Between the Manson family butchering his pregnant wife and the statutory rape charges that guy was exposed to a level of media scrutiny that R. Kelly could only dream of. I'm also pretty certain that a few people in Hollywood have spoken publicly on the matter.

I never said that they didn't receive any media scrutiny. My original point was that he was largely treated the same as R Kelly. People talked about it when it surfaced, once it went away people forgot and now for whatever reason R Kelly is popular with the hipster crowd. I guess I meant to say was that people were more than willing to forgive these two and look past what they did, when frankly I consider what they did unforgivable.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I never said that they didn't receive any media scrutiny. My original point was that he was largely treated the same as R Kelly. People talked about it when it surfaced, once it went away people forgot and now for whatever reason R Kelly is popular with the hipster crowd. I guess I meant to say was that people were more than willing to forgive these two and look past what they did, when frankly I consider what they did unforgivable.
    Yes, many people have forgiven Polanski for his crimes including the woman he had sex with as a teenager. It's worth noting that being a fan of someone's art does not necessarily mean that you condone every vile act the artist committed during his or her lifetime. "Either Chinatown is a great film or statutory rape is wrong - you can't have it both ways." I don't think it's that simple.

Pretty good read.

Rethinking R. Kelly: A Fan's Second Thoughts
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...econd-thoughts

old school

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Yeah the whole Polanski thing never really got the attention it deserved. People should have written books about the case. Documentaries should have been made. At the very least you'd think it would be the subject of hundreds of Dateline-style news programs during the last forty years, but no. Blind eyes: turned.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_P...ed_and_Desired
    Documentary.

The teenage Polanski girl did an hour long interview on Larry king in the 90's.