Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Saturday Writeup: What the fuck is wrong with people?

Default My Saturday Writeup: What the fuck is wrong with people?

Saturday had some really good music and other cool shit but may be my deciding factor as to whether I attend Coachella in the future. Too many people is one thing; too many fucking douchebags makes it a whole lot worse.

Anyway-- first, the music -- it was a very good day, music-wise.

got in early to see Reignwolf and he did not disappoint. Cool distorted bluesy rough guitar and vocals while he stomps on a foot pedal for a bass drum. he can play and he can sing. Loved the Fleetwood Mac cover.

then Guards who were pretty good but I am having a hard time remembering why.

Shovels & Rope were disappointing, or I just wasn't feeling it.

Board member group photo meetup which was fun, always good to see people.

The Evens were pretty dull too, but I got a nice relaxing nap in the Gobi shade.

But then it got real. Dropkick Murphys surprised me, their set was really great. Not a huge fan of theirs but the set made me think I should give them a second chance. and then HOLY FUCKING SHIT they brought out James Fearnly from the Pogues (THE FUCKING POGUES MOTHER FUCKERS) for a couple songs and that was really very awesome really.

The Selecter were really fun.. I had actually forgotten how many good songs they have! Pauline looked and sounded amazing. So glad they were here.

One of the highlights of the day was Violent Femmes. They played the entire first album, in order, front to back, then added "I Held Her In My Arms" and "American Music" and were done. The roar that went up with "Blister In the Sun" was really energizing. Also Gordon was wearing my hat, which just shows how cool he is. The crowd (bigger than I thought it would be) was loving it and singing along and shit. So great. Except the part where jen captncrazy punched me in the arm.

I was gonna go see the Make-Up but I had dinner instead. Fortunately it went down better than Friday's.

Went to Grizzly Bear in the Mojave, which was packed but not quite as bad as 2010.. they had these cool floating lights that sort of looked like glowing jellyfish. that may sound stupid but it really looked fucking cool. They (GB, not the jellyfish lights) sounded really good.

I left to check out Yeasayer but I dunno they seem to be turning into a different band than the one I knew.

Spiritualized were really really really great. god damn that was a fucking great set. I don't know how else to explain it. sorry. Soundbleed really sucked during the quiet parts though.. soundbleed from the god damned do lab as far as i can tell. that's just wrong.

Went to the beer garden and listened to Decendents who were in good form. But more soundbleed issues.. a punk band too quiet while the fucking Postal Service is 'blasting' (if that's what you can call tepid wimpy pop tunes played loud)? no. not right.

I had in a hole in my schedule after that, was gonna wait 2 hours for Sigur Ros, got worried about all this work I had to do this morning (spent 3 hours Sunday morning reviewing client deadline shit, ugh) so I left about 10:30. Sorry to miss Sigur Ros but ..

.. the atmosphere Saturday night was not good. Not at all. Here comes the GET OFF MY LAWN part of my post:

Damn there are a lot of fucking douchebag motherfuckers at Coachella this year. Do you think the concept of "waiting in line" doesn't apply to you? Do you think it's ok for your crew to go barelling through people, pushing people aside, shoving your way into the beer garden through the exit? I swear I must have told 3 or 4 people to go fuck themselves last night, and not in a funny ha ha board posting way either. One guy starts pushing past me in line to get into a beer garden and i moved over so he couldn't get past me and he's like "hey cool it mister" and started swearing at me. Because I wouldn't let him cut in front of me. What the fuck is wrong with these people? Is Coachella at the point where it is attracting crowds of young people (and it was all young people who were being assholes) who do not understand civilized behavior? Who do not understand that everything will work out fine if you just wait your fucking turn?

If I get arrested tonight, it's not my fault.

I was gonna meet Mr and Mrs Algunz in the beer garden for Descendents -- she texted me that they blew it off because "it was too hard to get in". Remember when Coachella wasn't like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: My Saturday Writeup: What the fuck is wrong with people?

Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the Coachella that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me...
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 04-14-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Yeah, you're convincing me not to come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Damn, dude. I hope that there is a minimal amount of douchebags come second weekend. It seems like the people who attend the festival are getting worse every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Seriously though Tom, if you are letting the negativity overcome the enjoyment you get out of the sets, then you are probably right; you and Coachella have diverged. And you know that trend is not reversing. I don't understand the mind- set of seeing the most incredible set of acts over a few days, but instead focussing on people you could easily choose to ignore. There are people here having fun, having the best days of their year. We see idiots, we see rudeness, we see unfortunate situations, but it is what it is. If you choose to let it get to you, that's your problem.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Douchebags don't really bother me, only because I am one.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

That sounds terrible. Have crowds of late-teen early 20 something's always been this way? I don't recall acting like an entitled shithead 10 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Damn there are a lot of fucking douchebag motherfuckers at Coachella this year. Do you think the concept of "waiting in line" doesn't apply to you? Do you think it's ok for your crew to go barelling through people, pushing people aside, shoving your way into the beer garden through the exit? I swear I must have told 3 or 4 people to go fuck themselves last night, and not in a funny ha ha board posting way either. One guy starts pushing past me in line to get into a beer garden and i moved over so he couldn't get past me and he's like "hey cool it mister" and started swearing at me. Because I wouldn't let him cut in front of me. What the fuck is wrong with these people? Is Coachella at the point where it is attracting crowds of young people (and it was all young people who were being assholes) who do not understand civilized behavior? Who do not understand that everything will work out fine if you just wait your fucking turn?
    oof. this reminds me of why I started to lose interest in coachella. very sorry to hear the crowds are so poor. there's no excuse for behavior like that.

liquid-ass.jpg

im bringing in shit spray for the douches

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Yeah, you're convincing me not to come back.
    Same here. Sounds like a nightmare.

Tom. Go Fuck Yourself.

Fwiw Cloud Nothings are simply destroying the Mojave right now

I'm not there this year (only the second time I've missed since '99) and every time I look at a photo posted on the Coachella Facebook page I think, "What happened to the festival I fell in love with?" Appearances may be deceiving, but right now it doesn't look (or sound) like it's populated by people who care much about the music one way or the other.
    Last edited by E_Buzz_Miller; 04-14-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: parenthetical addition for clarification

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I really haven't had any issues with the crowds this year. If anything, the crowds at the all sets I've gone to have been nice....
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 04-14-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Things evolve...
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Seriously though Tom, if you are letting the negativity overcome the enjoyment you get out of the sets, then you are probably right; you and Coachella have diverged. And you know that trend is not reversing. I don't understand the mind- set of seeing the most incredible set of acts over a few days, but instead focussing on people you could easily choose to ignore. There are people here having fun, having the best days of their year. We see idiots, we see rudeness, we see unfortunate situations, but it is what it is. If you choose to let it get to you, that's your problem.
    the ironic thing is, I was thinking yesterday on how aggressive the crowds used to be. I mean the shoving and pushing used to be worse...but the big difference is now, that there are more people on the fields now then in the past 13 years of going. That and I'm getting older and the crowd is getting younger, so the idiots are much more noticeable now than before.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Things devolve...
    Fixed
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Fixed
    Beat me to it.

I swear I must have told 3 or 4 people to go fuck themselves last night, and not in a funny ha ha board posting way either.
    Shit got real.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

And now the Three O'clock ate sounding pretty great too.

clearly the Tasmanian Burger carried over to the next day...

I hate negativity. Go fuck yourself and leave work at home for a weekend. Talk about douchebags. I am gonna have a great time next weekend no matter how many stupid young and obnoxious guys I run into. Fuck them all!

Some things need to be taken care of. This ain't fucking McDonalds kid.

Fwiw Cloud Nothings are simply destroying the Mojave right now
    the how are they up next on the ch3 livestream? confused.

funny, I didn't seem to encounter any of the things TomAZ said. perhaps karma for being such an asshole on the message boards? never that

I was gonna go see the Make-Up but I had dinner instead.
    You piece of shit. I thought you would really end up enjoying them. I can't believe how many people I know missed them, such a fucking underappreciated band.

Disappointing to hear about the crowds, but I guess it makes me feel better about skipping the fest for so many years. With the short set times, overpacked schedule, strain of camping in the desert for several days and all the rest of the downsides, I'm pretty satisfied with getting my fest fix from other sources. Hopefully the Coachella cruise happens again.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Here is Tom happy on Saturday before the encounter with the fuck wads:

I had a much different experience. Overall, I encountered less doucheness than in past years. Some "Bro moments" of course, but that is expected.

Quote Originally Posted by stcee View Post
    funny, I didn't seem to encounter any of the things TomAZ said.
    Quote Originally Posted by stcee View Post
    the worst part of the festival was the asshole security. me and my friend watched 5 meatheads rush a skinny little Asian kid and start beating on him right in front of the merch tables, at the far right side right before the ATMs. security broke it up AND STARTED LAUGHING AND SHAKING HANDS WITH THE MEATHEADS. I don't know if that was some new school Punk'd action we witnessed but to me it just looked like bullies sucking off other bullies. that left a really bad taste in my mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

WHERE THE FUCK WAS THE SNAIL?

I was looking forward to the boardie meetup.

And yeah I also noticed a lot less love and a lot more douchebaggery this year.however it was still my favorite Coachella. Pleasure to meet you, as well, Tom.