Thread: Phoenix and the Daft Punk rumor

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Default Re: Phoenix and the Daft Punk rumor

LOL at thinking R Kelly only appeals to hipsters
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyt View Post
    not too build up to the rumours, but isn't it interesting that the coachella website shows that all the finals acts on sunday finish before 12... I found it weird cause all the other nights end around 1, could this be because their might be a final surprise act?
    sunday night curfew is different. city laws. always been that way, if acts go past midnight on Sunday Coachella pays big fines.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    sunday night curfew is different. city laws. always been that way, if acts go past midnight on Sunday Coachella pays big fines.
    "always been that way" is not quite true. it used to be that the curfew was midnight every night. it's only in more recent years that they've extended the friday and saturday curfews beyond midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    "always been that way" is not quite true. it used to be that the curfew was midnight every night. it's only in more recent years that they've extended the friday and saturday curfews beyond midnight.
    It's been that way long enough to make your comment irrelevant to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
    It would be really funny if they showed up for Phoenix's weekend two set
    While I like Adam's attempt this is the funniest thing in this thread. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

ALL THINGS I WANT TO HAPPEN ARE PLAUSIBLE
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    ALL THINGS I WANT TO HAPPEN ARE PLAUSIBLE
    No one cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    It's been that way long enough to make your comment irrelevant to the discussion.
    Sorry that your poor grammar made your statement false and irrelevant to the discussion.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

R Kelly is truly amazing! I'm only conflicted because I don't know weather or not I should leave New Order early next week in hopes of seeing the Pied Piper of R&B with no confirmation he'll be there Weekend 2 as well.

Lurker

I'm actually pretty envious of the weekend 2 people because they don't have to deal with the Daft Punk believers.

An added plus is they get to hear Modest Mouse play Dashboard presumably, wish I could have heard that.
    2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 W1, 2013 W1

Worse yet some cunt and her boyfriend talked about Daft Punk for the whole fucking Sigur Rós set. Up close too. After three songs I politely asked her to be quiet and she looked at me like no one had ever told her to shut up before. The couple continued to muck it up so i moved back. Free of their idiocy, I greatly enjoyed Sigur Ros. After the show three guys came up to me to tell me the bitch kept talking after I left and she somewhat ruined their experience. They thanked me for trying (told her to be quiet) but I felt bad for them.

There's a guy on another board I go to boasting that Daft Punk will be at weekend 2 because skipping the first weekend is "a classic bait and switch".

Why are Daft Punk fans so stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    There's a guy on another board I go to boasting that Daft Punk will be at weekend 2 because skipping the first weekend is "a classic bait and switch".

Why are Daft Punk fans so stupid?
    Do you purposely use fallacious reasoning?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by Radtechnique View Post
    Do you purposely use fallacious reasoning?
    Let me clarify. I also consider myself a "Daft Punk fan". Not everything I present on these boards is a formal logic proof.

However I have never seen the level of stupidity, delusion, and denial for anything than I have seen with Daft Punk. And yes, that includes religion.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyt View Post
    not too build up to the rumours, but isn't it interesting that the coachella website shows that all the finals acts on sunday finish before 12... I found it weird cause all the other nights end around 1, could this be because their might be a final surprise act?
    Every year coachella starts earlier and ends earlier on sundays

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I would feel bad for Phoenix but they sort of did this to themselves when they brought daft punk on stage with them a couple years ago, although I'm sure they never expected it to turn into this.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

i was next to the mojave just before infected mushroom when the daft punk ad came on. the ad + infected mushroom's stage setup had lots of people automatically jumping to conclusions and people started losing their shit and charging into the tent saying all sorts of "ZOMFG DAFT PUNK!!!!!!!1111" type things. after the video they were chanting "DAFT PUNK!" over and over half expecting them to emerge, as if they'd finally show up on the fields again in a surprise mojave set. it was adorable
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

I've seen Phoenix before (2x actually) and they put on an amazing show. I totally feel bad for them, and the fans that were trying to enjoy their set, without being overshadowed by the DP hype.

That being said, I would have lost my shit had I been there when the DP ad/video ran. In 5 years of Coachella, there has never been a video played without a musician somewhere being filmed live. If I see Pharell on a jumbo-tron, my first instinct is to find what stage he's playing on. If he's chillin with Daft Punk, then, well, you've seen what happens.

I'm not going to lie, even though logically I know that they will not be there next weekend, there's a small part of my limbic centered brain rooting for a surprise appearance. However, I have a feeling that once the Violent Femmes are burning up the stage before me, I'm not going to be too concerned with robots.
    --->Living-Silver.com <---

We started a 'PHOENIX!' chant in the middle to counter all the idiots. You'd think they'd have gotten the hint when Pitchfork, NME, etc. published a statement straight from the DP camp saying they wouldn't be playing at all.
    2010 | 2011 | 2012 weekend 2 | 2013 weekend 1 | 2014 weekend 1

loops of funk over hardcore beats

According to idiot logic, a firm denial is a double secret confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by tbgmdhc View Post
    We started a 'PHOENIX!' chant in the middle to counter all the idiots. You'd think they'd have gotten the hint when Pitchfork, NME, etc. published a statement straight from the DP camp saying they wouldn't be playing at all.
    I mean, if they didn't get the hint from a website, chanting always works.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I did appreciate this bit from Ian Cohen's Coachella write-up in Pitchfork:

And yet, unquestionably, the definitive moment of Coachella 2013 involved a band that wasn’t even there. Preceding the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' set, a one minute clip of a new Daft Punk song-- with Pharrell and Niles Rodgers, to boot-- played to rapturous response as rumors circulated they would join their fellow countrymen Phoenix on stage a night later. (They didn't.) Everything about this record’s marketing is expertly timed, especially the window where it’s not so recent to mute interest and it’s not so far that it’s easy to forget why they were so exciting in the first place. While Daft Punk may have co-opted Coachella as a publicity ploy, don’t forget that the rumor-mongering starting right this minute is the best possible PR for Coachella 2014. If Daft Punk is indeed already slotted in as 2014’s headliner, hopefully, Random Access Memories won’t make us look back on our wild anticipation of a year prior and feel like it was ancient history.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

heard more than a couple people saying they were upset about the set.

before the night i was honestly SEMI worried that i'd miss Daft, but the second Sigur Ros went on i looked over at the mainstage ONCE. didn't believe people when they said R. Kelly showed up.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

I'll be honest... I didn't want to buy into all the rumors pre Coachella and I didn't. However once we got there and the video played Friday... all my friends I was with were talking about it Saturday. Everyone was seeing different sources Saturday claiming they would be there and eventually I gave in and believed it. I saw about half of Knife Party's set then wandered over to the main stage and enjoyed the last 30 minutes of Phoenix. I kept believing it was going to happen any moment and was pretty bummed it didn't. By the time I got back to my campsite I was over it and went out to silent disco and enjoyed the rest of the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazzzzzup928 View Post
    Is Xanman really big enough to sub?
    Is Motorave going to bring enough special guests with him?
    Is Nathan Fairchild's set going to be less awesome when I reflect back on it in a few months?
    Is Bumblebee's set going to consist of her just reading coachella facts for 50 mins?
    Is Guedita going to sound more like Karin O or Alice Glass?
    Is MJA going to be the first true EDM headliner?
    So many questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    I saw a girl literally weeping that Daft Punk didn't show up afterwards while walking out of the crowd. Hilarious.
    This is the best story I've heard from Coachella 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

There is absolutely nothing stopping people from thinking that R. Kelly trolling Weekend 1 just means that Daft Punk is only closing out Weekend 2. In fact, it has probably already begun. You will still see people chanting Daft Punk after Phoenix Weekend 2, I guarantee it.

I was so tripping that when R.Kelly came on singing remix to ignition I thought america changed its national anthem to that song, so I stood up straight placing my hand over my heart until it was over... If you saw me then you know why.

One of the teens behind us asked his friends "is that daft punk?" When r kelly came out. Wtf.

Between that, and the fact that i was jammed between a crowd of people that didnt particularly like phoenix, the environment was pretty uninspiring. I thought phoenix killed it though. Bankrupt has grown on me, and i thought the new songs sounded even better live. I also appreciate how they change their songs up a little live. More bands should do that.

Some young girls next to me were sitting down waiting on Phoenix to come on in hopes of catching Daft Punk. Then the Daft Punk ad comes on and they all bolt up from the ground to ultimately be disappointed.

One of the girls screams out "sounds like every other band I've ever fucking heard!" during their first song. Another called a guy getting down next to me a ****** for enjoying the show a couple songs later.

I'm glad Daft Punk didn't show up just to spite those hateful little bitches. Why the fuck do you not just leave if you aren't enjoying a set?

The lead singer climbed the scaffolding in the crowd right next to me which was pretty awesome though, and can't complain about the novelty of seeing R. Kelly either.

Lurker

My friend's dad works for The Desert Sun (The local newspaper) and he does all the Coachellafest coverage, and he told me he heard that Daft Punk had made a hotel reservation in the valley and were expected to be attending the festival, but even he shot down rumors that they were going to be doing anything other than just surveying the event.
    2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 W1, 2013 W1