Thread: My Friday Writeup: Avoid the Tasmanian Burger

Default My Friday Writeup: Avoid the Tasmanian Burger

What a weird day. So here goes.

Got in very early, right at 11, met some board members for a rendezvous at the cantina. (even got to meet JustSteve, after 9 coachellas.. he stayed for about 3 minutes).

Was gonna go wander around and check out the art but I heard music coming from the main stage that sounded interesting. Some band I'd never heard of and didn't even bother to research called Skinny Lister. they were fucking amazing. A noon set on the Main stage has never thrilled me like these guys did. Raucous british pub folk music, picture the Pogues without a drummer and with a much, much better looking frontwoman. Sea chanties and all. So glad I caught this, a highlight of the day.

Next up was Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, whose somber beats and dour attitude had the crowd moping and whining. ha ha. These guys are fucking awesome!! 9 japanese guys in white formal jackets rocking the fuck out of ska versions of the theme from the Godfather and Born to Be Wild. jesus what a hoot. Do not miss this set weekend 2 people.

Went to see the Shouting Matches in the Gobi which, well, really did actually suck. they had a 45 minute time slot.. for which they started 25 minutes late. Some sort of technical difficulty? it was hard to tell just what was going on. And then when they finally did start playing they were pretty damned boring. No life to their set at all. Not a good day for Mr Bonny Vare.

then i had a hole in my schedule and went and met up with some board folks in the beer garden. Nice to meet (or see again) everyone. Wandered over to Stars for a bit, quickly got bored. Wandered over to Divine Fits for a bit, they were a little better. But mostly I was waiting for Japandroids in the Gobi. The gobi schedule was backed up because of the Shouting Matches fiasco but how long does it take to set up a band with one guitar and a drum kit? anyway they got started about 10 minutes late, but the sound didn't seem right.. too damned quiet for a band like that. That noise should be engulfing the audience, washing over us like sweet sweet summer rain.. instead it was like putting it on in the car. at moderate volume. It got better later, the sound did, at least. Japandroids themselves were pretty good anyway, though. I had higher hopes after seeing them at FFF last year, but still given the situation they were really good.

then a beer, then Lee Scratch Perry, who I thought was great. Not sure what the complaining in the webcast thread is about. Cool old school reggae sounds from an old master.

then I made what turned out, in retrospect, to be a very poor decision. it was 7 oclock, hadn't eaten a thing since 11, so i headed to the rose garden to refuel. I got a "Tasmanian Burger" which tasted fine. had a beer and rested a bit then went to catch Jello Biafra.

But I was running a few minutes late so I watched Sparks for a while instead. For those who don't know Sparks is an old glam rock band from the early 70s whose sound has morphed over time. What we got Friday was the one guy in a tie on keyboards - just an electric piano - and the other one singing. Campy cabaret tunes for the most part. I stayed for 3 songs and went to see Jello. He had a rocking set, played a couple of DK songs (he may have played others earlier in the set, but all I caught were California Uber Alles and Too Drunk to Fuck). The band rocked and Jello was great, very theatrical, but man he preaches a lot. I'm not one of those "shut up and sing" guys but this went a bit too far.

so then Mirroir Noir and Original Bob and I went to the beer tent, met up with Mr and Mrs algunz, and listened to the YYYs. except. that Tasmanian burger was starting to protest. I wound up having to excuse myself and find a quiet place to lay down. Which didn't work so well either, and by 930 I said fuck it and left. Which means I missed Grinderman and Foals, dammit. Damn it to all hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: My Friday Writeup: Avoid the Tasmanian Burger

cant believe i didnt run into you TomAz....i was at skinny lister, jello, and sparks all had near empy audience...i was the guy with a kid couldnt be missed

here is a pic i snapped of my wife and son with Lorna of skinny lister
    Photo Apr 12, 1 53 27 PM.jpg
    Last edited by footixy; 04-15-2013 at 07:23 PM.

footixy - I saw a kid like that in the arms of his father Friday night. They were fascinated at looking at the giant snail. I almost took a photo, but didn't. Was that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Tom - sorry to hear about the burger. I had that happen with an Asian wrap in 2008 and missed a whole day. Hope you'll be up and running (pun intended) soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    footixy - I saw a kid like that in the arms of his father Friday night. They were fascinated at looking at the giant snail. I almost took a photo, but didn't. Was that you?
    i think so gps! our little guy braved out a good 9hrs there thanks to kvnty givings us a homebase at his "camp butters"

i had a green shirt and maroon shorts on...

damn slug is facinating

Best line of the day: one that I've repeated a few times aleady: Mirroir Noir on the newer, bigger Sahara: "A brighter light to draw the moths."
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Well this explains why I didn't see any faces during Grinderman.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

how was the tasmanian burger itself? price? worth it? fuck myself?

expensive, tasted ok, yes

I don't have a write up, but this is who I saw:

Beardyman
    Japandroids
    Alt-J
    Tommy Trash
    Of Monsters & Men
    Jello Biafra
    YYYs
    Band of Horses
    Blur

I ate fresh fruit. It was delicious.

Also, avoid Rico Taco in the beer garden by the outdoor. Something didn't....sit right.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

The Ruth Chris steak sandwich was great but a little pricey.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

I got an over seasoned one.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

That sounds like a really long day. I usually don't move until around 4.