Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2013 has some aspects of Clusterfuckchella

Cool Coachella 2013 has some aspects of Clusterfuckchella

Maybe these things have been posted elsewhere, but I just have to get these off my mind in case Paul T. is reading this board

Worse than last year:
    1. Total lack of security in the lines to get through security check. People crashed lines, rushing from back of lines to the front. After waiting 45 minutes in the hot sun and not making it very far toward the entrance, the people wouldn't even let the mounted police through. I saw only 2 blue shirted people (not security guards) helping with the multiple lines. Then to everyone's delight, people started chanting and running right through the security check. Security just stepped aside and didn't try stopping people until several hundred (including myself) had run through. What avoidable chaos! They were not prepared for the immense crowds. I'm not sure if it was planned to ease the crush of people, or if it was simply out of control.
    2. It sure felt like it was way oversold. It was hard to walk around without bumping into everyone. The Sahara was so overcrowded, I didn't even try getting close.
    3. The grass was already brown in many areas. What's up with that?
    4. It was way dustier than I ever remember for Day 1. Lots of folks coughing on the bus home.
    5. The people at the help stations were total turds. I asked them questions, like where is this and where is that, and they just said look in the booklet. There was one booth where a guy was in obvious pain and laying on the ground just 3 feet from the booth. I told the the guy in the booth that it looked like the guy needed help, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Better than last year:
    1. Men's vs ladies bathrooms. I suggested this last year after I saw it work very well at Rock the Bells. Several ladies didn't seem to mind being rude and walked right into the men's section anyways.
    2. The giant snail. LOVE IT! The energy factory was fun.
    3. Suprefan's camera lens has enlarged.

The same as last year:
    1. Shuttles were good. Mine got lost on the way there. After 15 minutes, I noticed we were back at the Saguaro, where we started from. So I went to the front of the bus and gave him directions - we were back on track.
    2. The dinosaur that didn't move last year, barely moved this year. They should trash it.
    3. The attendees are nice.

It's too early to judge the music. My favorites were not Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Default Re: Coachella 2013 has some aspects of Clusterfuckchella

security was a piece of shit...yellow jackets....i walked early to the venue being only across the street from it at about 10am...using the "pedestrian walkway" that is on the map wich is the dustiest piece of crap path ever...anyway, we got to the check in and were told by a yellow jacket that the entrance was at madison street for GA ...all others were for VIP ONLY...we went walking all the way to madison only to be told to walk back into the original entrance ....yellow's really seem disorganized, crabby, and power tripping for some weird reason

yes the sahara was WAY OVERCROWDED even with the major upgrade...but it is what it is...as soon as they walk in, they zombie towards it...it was LOUD AS FUCK as well even with my earplugs in...I went to the Mojave afterwards and the poor tent was being drowned in saharas bass...and this was at around 1:00pm

got to see Loads of acts mid-tent due to the packed sahara

the yuma was such a nice touch ...looked like an elegant club and had great artists

Yea this weekend is WAAAY oversold. These crowds remind me of the original clusterfuck crowds but a bit nicer. Also agreed the yellow and blue jackets are all idiots. My wife is on crutches and they couldnt tell us where to get to Ada booths. Don't get me wrong I saw some great sets today but these crowds are making it real tough to have the level of satisfaction Ive come to expect from this festival.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Why did they take all the picnic tables away from the gardens by the ferris wheel? God fobid we are able to sit while eating. Also when did it become so popular to raise sticks with monkey's and other useless shit in the air blocking the view for everyone? Those kind of people deserve a good bitch slap...
    Last edited by Justin170; 04-13-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Damn, those entrance lines sound intense. Another person posted on the board that his friend had been waiting for like an hour and a half to get in. I thought that was just crap, but I guess it was real. Hope they get this stuff figured out by tomorrow, or at least by Weekend 2!

Thanks for the updates guys! Keep 'em coming.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Already had something stolen from me aside from the few beers I left in the cooler. Bye-bye wallet, ID, money for the weekend, and sunglasses. If your girlfriend is missing, she may be in the next tent over getting 'round 6' from this guy she just met. Not sure I'll be back weekend 2... Or tomorrow, for that matter. Something is off this year. Maybe it's just me. Good music, iffy vibes.

zafo you're right " good music, iffy vibes" i still cant get over the poorly run organization between gv and the city of indio....i NEVER complain but the so called "ride a bike, walk, save the earth shit" is something they really need to consider as they advertise the hell out of it....the influx of cars is the main issue they have and their first priority...before I hit the entrance i was feeling as crabby as the jackets

hopefully this wont be the case for the next 2 days...and better yet...lets hope they revise this shit so wk2 goers have a smoother experience

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

After reading this, I think I will be attending wk 2 next year. I know it's not the cool thing to do but you know there's going to be a smaller crowd and problems solved that were an issue during wk 1. Hang in there, Zaf. I hope your wallet turns up, you piece of shit. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

We missed you at the 40+ meetup Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

this is all because i am going and have the worst luck in the world. i should just give my wristbands to a hobo.

Lurker

I have to agree about the security. We literally had to wait an hour and 15 minutes to get through the check point. There were no security people outside of the checkpoint directing people through. Once you got to the checkpoint they started separating the line into male female. I felt this part of the planning for the festival wasn't done very well. Music was great, and people attending the fest were all very nice. I didn't see anyone starting trouble. Met some really awesome people while hanging in the beer gardens. This is my first Coachella and looking forward to day two.

My brother waited almost 2 hours to get in the main entrance yesterday, not to mention some blue shirt nazi thought it was ok to thuroughly grab his balls while searching him, wtf?

And please get more wristband readers at the entrances/exits of the beer gardens! There are giants fucking bottlenecks to get in or out of the beer gardens, even VIP, which defeats the purpose of throwing down the extra cash. I shouldn't have to wait in line for 20 mins just to get in or out of the vip beer garden, or any beer garden for that matter!!

Seems like a lot of your problems could have been alleviated by going to weekend 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

for those that waited upwards of an hour just to get in, at what time did you arrive? and are you camping? does that make a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by Radtechnique View Post
    Seems like a lot of your problems could have been alleviated by going to weekend 2.
    Seems like my problems could be alleviated by GV not overselling this shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    Seems like my problems could be alleviated by GV not overselling this shit show.
    You sound REAL mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

It looks really really really crowded at Baauer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Radtechnique View Post
    Weekend 2 is sold out, too. Will things really be much different?

this is why I decided to go week 2. I'm hoping they fix everything that went wrong on week 1.

I know all the problems won't be solved, but hopefully they'll be a little bit more in the groove by then.

Thanks, thread, for making me feel better about not being able to go this year. 2010 made me never want to attend again, and it sounds like I'm missing a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

While it was still packed today at certain areas, it didnt seem quite as bad as yesterday. Much props to GV for recognizing and fixing a ton of the issues from last night. They stopped making people scan in and out of beer gardens which was HUGE. Please still sell less tickets next year though.
    Last edited by Sexecutioner; 04-14-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Hey..... Just here to tell everyone.... Don't listen to anyone in this thread. I am fucking loving it this year. I think that Saturday of 2013 could be my favorite chella day in all 5 years I've gone. Every set I saw was absolutely unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Thanks, thread, for making me feel better about not being able to go this year. 2010 made me never want to attend again, and it sounds like I'm missing a winner.
    It's not as bad as 2010 Bryan. but god damn there are a lot of douchebags attending this year. It's very much like 2010 in that regard. it's making me not want to come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I caught the dropkick live stream, and not like I didn't expect it but man the crowd was way bro'd out.

Lurker

Sahara looks massive with people on the webcast. Did they expand that tent ? looks like they did..

I thought it looked insanely packed from the webcast and am not surprised to hear it compared to 2010. I skipped 2011 because of that shit show. Last year was fun, but I already planned for this year to be my last, unless they miraculously book the Talking Heads or Bowie in the future. Hope Weekend 2 is better as far as crowds and security go.

things did go a bit smoother day 2...it feels packed but its easy to get around...that is unless you want in or around the sahara (thats pretty much the main clusterfuck)

that is just my opinion though...

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    things did go a bit smoother day 2...it feels packed but its easy to get around...that is unless you want in or around the sahara (thats pretty much the main clusterfuck)

that is just my opinion though...
    glad to hear, 2010 made me skip 2011 2012 was very relaxed, got in pretty quick...skipping this year so its nice to get the low down with how its going for those of us webcasting..... peace

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's not as bad as 2010 Bryan. but god damn there are a lot of douchebags attending this year. It's very much like 2010 in that regard. it's making me not want to come back.
    From the photos I've seen, that seems to be the case. And most of my friends posting photos are people who have no interest in music, so I question their reason for going in the first place. If I'm gonna be in a huge crowd, I'd like it to be like Outside Lands where at least I can talk to everyone about music, and bring my beer outside of the gardens. Spoiled, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

There are a lot more people, but there are a lot more things people can be at and thus there is less open space on the grass. (Lke a lot of grass consuming art for example).

Crowds at actual sets aren't all that bad. Getting on the rail or close to it has been easy to do and the people up front have been less douchey. But then again, douchbags don't bother me too much. The music seems to distract me from that.

Shuttle security line was 10mins Friday at 11:45 and 2 mins on Saturday at 1:40. The main entrance line was 10 mins for us on Fri and 15 mins for us on Sat at those same times.

Also, you don't have the mile long walk around the shuttle queue anymore.