Thread: RAVES IN THE 80'S-90'S?

Lurker

Default RAVES IN THE 80'S-90'S?

hi there, i'm just asking to you veterans of the golden age of house, trance, techno and so forth. how was the scene then?
    i'm very curious. lately i'm getting into house, especially after hearing daft punk's bbc essential mix. i want to know just
    how awesome/lame/whatever it was. how would you compare it to todays scene?

Default Re: RAVES IN THE 80'S-90'S?

If you're asking for a cultural comparison, then today's scene is shit. It was a completely underground culture where everyone was connected and understood eachother. "Ravers" used to be the outcasts. I remember when everyone in school would make fun of "ravers". Nowadays, 80% of the scene is dubstep loving white trash. All you see is shirtless bro's and tons of baby sluts. PLUR is practically nonexistent. "House" parties in the past actually embodied the art; everyone could actually DANCE. Today, kids just do drugs and shuffle because they think its cool.

From 1989-1999 the underground scene / warehouse parties (never liked the word Rave) was a magical journey of the unknown! The scene was really underground and there were only a few cities in American where it was happening!
    Obviously the scene in Manchester was pooping off in the mid 80's but that didn't mean the US wasn't getting there fair share shortly there after!! Chicago and NYC were the two places that really started the american culture with clubs like the paradise garage in NYC and WareHOUSE parties in Chicago! The word HOUSE came from the parties that peeps were throwing in Chicago....People would go to record stores and ask where can we find that warehouse music which they ultimately labeled HOUSE music!
    The LA / SF scene really started to kick into gear around 1989 and that was my first experience into the underground. You can't even compare those early years to whats happening now! Its so corporate now that the true feeling of dancing in a broken into warehouse until the sun came up is all but gone... Places in LA like flammable liquid, La Casa and string of other places are a distant memory of the most amazing times of my life! instead of hundreds e-tards laying around the dance floor you had hundreds of people dancing there asses off. To sum it up the drug use killed what was once so magical! the 80's -90s were magical the early 2000's were ok until about 2004 when kids started overdosing and the scene pretty much died! Anything after 2004 is just pure horse shit...All in all the scene of yesteryear has no comparison to whats happening today! If you want a small glimpse of years gone past spend time in the dome and Yuma this year!!!
    1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2013

Wow! La Casa is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I was just coming up in the scene around 1997, so I missed a lot of the earlier years. But what I look back on most fondly was the closeness of everybody. Going to FAMILY parties you knew who was going to be there, what DJ's were playing, who to talk to if you needed anything, where the next party was going to be....

Now its just a jumbled mess of drugs and kids not responsible enough or appreciative enough of what they get to experience.

To be 15 again.....
    Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    It's like KoRn and Aidz Needles make a crime to my ears!!

La Casa wow. First rave I ever went to was Shiva's Erotic Banquet there in April '92.
    That was one of the most intense nights of my life. We all felt pretty future.

old school

I lived in the middle of Ohio then. Every weekend it wasn't a question of was there a party but instead which party you wanted to go to. All the friends packed into the car and we caravaned all over. Gas was like. 90cents a gallon then. We were going to parties everywhere in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Akron, Dayton, Cincinnati, Louisville, Philadelphia, Indianapolis and sometimes New Jersey & New York. I think ketamine & meth fucked up the scene ultimately when it was came i to the scene.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Meth fucks up whatever it touches.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Undergrounds in the 90's were so amazing!!! La casa... Holy crap... even the old run down Fox theatre. It was all about calling the number on a flyer, getting directions to some random parking lot, paying some dude for a piece of paper to the party which was probably an hour away from there. You'd probably leave your house at 10pm and wouldn't get to the party until 1am!!! But god... when you got there, it was the best dance party you ever been too!
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

any L.A. old schoolers old enough to remember the Underground Source info line? You had to call that number to find parties.
    I saw Ruth again not too long ago, she now runs the Greasy Weiner food truck, which if I'm not mistaken will be at Coachella this year.

I remember the days of Frankie Bones headlining some cool parties. Good times.

Well this isn't quite 80's or 90's but I believe it captures some of the magic from those eras starting in the 2000's. I still have a hard copy of Ravers Digest acquired in the Masterdome so many moons ago. Scroll to the very bottom and work your way up!

http://www.raversdigest.com/
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

Quote Originally Posted by hippityhip View Post
    Well this isn't quite 80's or 90's but I believe it captures some of the magic from those eras starting in the 2000's. I still have a hard copy of Ravers Digest acquired in the Masterdome so many moons ago. Scroll to the very bottom and work your way up!

http://www.raversdigest.com/
    Nice! Lots of partys I worked at 01-03
    1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2013