Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking of heading over from the uk

Arrow thinking of heading over from the uk

k, well im contemplating whether or not to head over from the UK, If i do head over I will prob be heading over by my self as I am a student and most of my mates are broke so any other peeps thinking of going give me a message. sounds like an awesome lineup and to be honest I dont have a clue of where to start from and would hate to end up over there on my lonesome. so if anyone is heading over from the UK or near enough n has a spare space or whatever let me know if not I'm gonna be stuck with reading and maybe Glasto which wouldn't be too bad but wouldn't be hlf as good as catching sum of the best bands in an awesone location. k well am starting to bullshit now but anyways give me a shout

Default Re: thinking of heading over from the uk

Hey mate,

I am originally also from the UK (Scotland) but have been living in Sydney for five years.

I went over to Coachella for the first time last year. I was also by myself as I was in the US for work just before the festival and decided to check it out afterwards.

Back in Vegas for work again this year and have my ticket for Coachella as well.

Don't worry about going solo, especially if you stay at the campsite, as you will meet cool people there to hang out with. I did last year and had a great time. Will be even better this year now that it is three days instead of two, not to mention the cracking line up.

hey dude, im comin from england too. i been trying to price up flights, hotel and ticket and tryinrg to get from a hotel to the coachella site. I wanna stay in Palm Springs, its 25 mins away ffrom the festival site. i just wondered which company u were using for flight, hotel etc

Hey, I'm coming from England. I haven't a clue how I'm gonna do this yet, Hopefully carpooling it there and back. Which airport were you thinking of landing in ? Palm Springs ?

Sheri.

Hey, me and 4 of my mates are flying out from Manchester airport early on the Thursday. We are planning on flying to LA then getting a bus to palm springs and then maybe a cab to Coachella.

Very elaborate I know but I guess that's the only way?!

Feel free to join in!

Sure, I'll help with costs etc. IS it a long ride from the airport to palm springs ? If we can't get a bus I'm sure there'll be many travellers going that way and we could catch a ride.

Thanks for the help, Sheri.

Yeah Im doing Coachella but will still do Glasto its the best festival ive been to

Lurker

hey schneedlepop im lookin at flyin down from manchester what company are you usein

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by alexwalker View Post
    hey dude, im comin from england too. i been trying to price up flights, hotel and ticket and tryinrg to get from a hotel to the coachella site. I wanna stay in Palm Springs, its 25 mins away ffrom the festival site. i just wondered which company u were using for flight, hotel etc
    dude, common misconception as well as LIE, Palm Springs is not 25 minutes away! It was in the 50's when there weren't any traffic lights, but now it's almost an hour with traffic. 45 minutes if you're lucky.
    Portishead in 2007.
    I have attended every year.

Lurker

Just some advice to the UK/foreigners(since I was one)...
    Although your currency is by far the best everything adds up. A cab ride from palm springs(airport or not) will run you around $50-$70 each way. It is well worth it to take the greyhound from LA to the INDIO stop. Once you get off you can get a cheap cab or walk to your hotel/campgrounds. It's a trek though.
    If you stay in Palm Springs and rent a car, the drive to Coachella will take a good 50 minutes. Surface roads suck and most of the drive will be on them.
    Please don't believe the 25 minutes you've been hearing, you will be horribly suprised later and regret you didn't carve enough time out. If you plan on staying for the headliner, you won't get back to your hotel in Palm Springs till about 3:00 AM, if you're lucky. If you have any questions pleas PM me. I used to live in this area and have gone every year.
    Greyhound is $24.50 each way
    Rancho Mirage cab company: (760) 322-2008
    Enterprise is the cheapest rent-a-car, but do search around.
    Portishead in 2007.
    I have attended every year.

gosh you guys are all so helpful, im planning on coming from london with 2 friends, flying into lax and then gonna stay in a hostal for a day (i hear they're quite cheap) and then head to indio on the greyhound, camp it up for the 3 days and then head back! its all very exciting

if anyone wants to add me on msn scouse0163@msn.com go ahead and we can share ideas/worries etc, its quite stressful plannin somethin like this when you live so far away!!

what sort of prices are you lot paying for flights?

just wanna know how i can make them as cheap as possible

Quote Originally Posted by back4more View Post
    Hey mate,

I am originally also from the UK (Scotland) but have been living in Sydney for five years.

I went over to Coachella for the first time last year. I was also by myself as I was in the US for work just before the festival and decided to check it out afterwards.

Back in Vegas for work again this year and have my ticket for Coachella as well.

Don't worry about going solo, especially if you stay at the campsite, as you will meet cool people there to hang out with. I did last year and had a great time. Will be even better this year now that it is three days instead of two, not to mention the cracking line up.
    what kind of work do you do if you don't mind me asking, I would love to live in Australia and travel to vegas for work. sorry this is off topic, just curious

Quote Originally Posted by nabila View Post
    gosh you guys are all so helpful, im planning on coming from london with 2 friends, flying into lax and then gonna stay in a hostal for a day (i hear they're quite cheap) and then head to indio on the greyhound, camp it up for the 3 days and then head back! its all very exciting

if anyone wants to add me on msn scouse0163@msn.com go ahead and we can share ideas/worries etc, its quite stressful plannin somethin like this when you live so far away!!
    book your hostel stay NOW. AND they are usually pretty cheap..mind you it is a dorm like setting and they have a curfew.

http://www.hostelhandbook.com/usa/cala.htm
    "I am just a watery Tart with a sword in her hand."

Flights should be somewhere around the £300 mark, maybe a little bit less, maybe more, see what you can get.

I'm flying over, hopefully making a week/ten days out of it, visiting San Francisco and Las Vegas, just going to the festival alone seems a bit of a waste.

Got my flights for just over £300 with Virgin, but they've gone up to £550 now, as their sale finished. American Airlines are still around the £300 mark.

I've hired a villa about 30 mins from the site, and it holds 8 peeps. Stayed there last year and it's massive - At the moment, there are only 4 of us confirmed. I may have some space, but it depends if my mates get their fingers out of their asses or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETSHIVERBURN View Post
    book your hostel stay NOW. AND they are usually pretty cheap..mind you it is a dorm like setting and they have a curfew.

http://www.hostelhandbook.com/usa/cala.htm
    Excellent thanks alot, gna wait until i get my coachella tix and then ill book straight away.

just realised does ticketmaster.com accpet switch cards? im guessing no...sooo if i get my mum and dad to book ill be ok getting in without their card right cos most of the time they dont check over here?

Hello,

I am a talent scout for adult movies.

Nah, just kidding. I'm a magazine editor. The mag covers the broadcasting industry. There's a big broadcast convention in Vegas every April called NAB (www.nabshow.com) that my work sends me over to cover. Pretty handy that Coachella is on right after it.
    There's one in Amsterdam called IBC in September as well. Went to Reading fetival before that one last year. Reckon it's all going to come ot an end soon though as they are putting a squeeze on the budgets at work so going to make the most of this trip. Going To LA and San Francisco after Vegas and before Coachella.
    A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

Quote Originally Posted by nabila View Post
    Excellent thanks alot, gna wait until i get my coachella tix and then ill book straight away.

just realised does ticketmaster.com accpet switch cards? im guessing no...sooo if i get my mum and dad to book ill be ok getting in without their card right cos most of the time they dont check over here?

Hi Guys

I'm from London (south east) and I'm going to buy 3 day ticket or the last day (if they re available); i want to go there simply because of RATM.

Non one my friends can join me simply because it cost to much/late notice... which mean i will be a loan ranger.

At the moment i don't have a clue what I'll do all i know is that I'll be there for three days and then visit San Fran. I don't know where i want to stay, camp, who i will fly with etc.

so what i'm looking for is some nice friendly people who i can travel and can have a laugh with [drinking and partying ]

thanks in advance

Nizam
    Last edited by smokeMonkey; 01-26-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kajakin View Post
    k, well im contemplating whether or not to head over from the UK, If i do head over I will prob be heading over by my self as I am a student and most of my mates are broke so any other peeps thinking of going give me a message. sounds like an awesome lineup and to be honest I dont have a clue of where to start from and would hate to end up over there on my lonesome. so if anyone is heading over from the UK or near enough n has a spare space or whatever let me know if not I'm gonna be stuck with reading and maybe Glasto which wouldn't be too bad but wouldn't be hlf as good as catching sum of the best bands in an awesone location. k well am starting to bullshit now but anyways give me a shout

mate where are you from? London?

Lurker

I'm also coming from the UK. Got my ticket and camping pass but have no idea about any of the rest of it. Looks like I'll be on my own due to lack of money/time/interest from my friends.

I live in Carlisle so probably heading out from Glasgow or Manchester to LAX then greyhound to Indio. Sounds ok in theory anyway.....

Maybe staying a few days afterwards, renting a car, hitting the road It's all just ideas at the moment.

So, if anyone has any good ideas, advice or want to meet up feel free to email/IM me: silicone_soul at hotmail.com.

Jay
    Last edited by JCz84; 09-03-2007 at 06:21 PM.

I'm pretty sure we can setup a UK camp together, make cups of tea and talk about the weather

Lurker

Yeah that that would be cool

Team UK.
    ...and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now you’ll say, “Wow, we LIVED!"

Hey, my plan has changed now. We are heading to Vegas for two days then going to see RATM on the Sunday. My dad's driving us down and back to our hotel. It's one LONG LONG trip but it'll be worth it!

I wouldn't mind being part of team UK though!

glad to see there are a number of uk heads making the pilgrimage to ths festival! i work festival seasons in the uk, doing about 5 a summer, but i saw this line up and nearly wet myself! im coming with a few mates, as our final student loan cheque lands the day before the festival, and this is obviously the way its ment to be spent!

ive bin checkin out the campin info tho, and this sounds like the most lame set up in the world! no beer in, no drug parifinalia, cocktails in a club house and camp wardens with a noise curfew??? what is all that about?
    someone please tell me that this is just the official line, and that these rules are easily broken, cos we re gonna book these tickets in a couple of hours and dont wanna find ourselves in camp lame usa!

Lurker

ill be going on my own as well(sad life aint it) wondered if anyone else one there own wanted to join forces lol.

Go team UK!

Camping rules do look to be fairly 'adult', but when in Rome...

most of the time 'palm springs' encompasses not only palm springs 'city' (laugh) but also the surrounding areas such as rancho mirage, palm desert etc. If you stay in a house or hotel in palm desert you're only a 30 minute drive from the festival. we did last year and had a cab bring us to the concert and pick us up each day for $50 each way - not bad between 5 people. Although you can drive as easily as you'll sober up by the time you've walked out of the festival and found your car...

Hey!

This is excellent. I really didnt imagine that there would be so many folk going from Britain.

I'm flying in from Glasgow, Scotland and my 2 other friends who I'm coming with are leaving from the midlands - I think.

We've not booked our flights yet though.

I think we're going to fly out on the wednesday and stay in LA for a night to get over the jetlag, then hire a car and drive - although, the greyhound option seems more apealing cos we obviously wont know where we're going.

I'm so excited about this. I think I might strip naked and run down the street.

I mean, a 3 day festival in CA with the best line up I've seen in my life.

Whooooooooooooo Hooooooooooo!!!

x