Thread: Taxi Cabs are nice, but are not the best way to get around, if you play it smart.

Lightbulb Taxi Cabs are nice, but are not the best way to get around, if you play it smart.

I have two years of driving Coachella as a cab driver. You cannot flag cabs off the street anywhere near the Festival. There is one pick up and drop off location for cabs at Coachella. When the concert lets out, it can take up to an hour and half, waiting in the most horrible line that barely moves to get your cab. Yes, you can take a shuttle to your car, but then you have to drive your car possibly buzzed to your hotel.

People are booking their own personal driver to use in their own personal vehicle, that will act as a "Johnny on the Spot" driver, getting you anywhere you need to go safely and no risk of DUI. People without cars, are booking their own personal driver with vehicle. You can easily do this by looking in the transportation section of the Palm Springs Craigslist. Its generally cheaper to have your own driver, than use cabs (when you factor in total cost shared by you and the rest of your friends), and much more efficient than waiting for some yahoo cab driver to come pick you up, or waiting in some fucked up line to get a cab.

This year, I am not a cab driver any longer (thank Christ). However, its just so happens that I have a condo in Indian Wells, which I am renting out for weeks one and two, and will include me as your personal, on demand driver, either in your vehicle or mine.
    Check the add here http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/vac/3726206628.html.

760-774-9498 Dan
    trailrunner54@yahoo.com

Default Re: Taxi Cabs are nice, but are not the best way to get around, if you play it smart.

I've had no problems with catching a cab the weekend of Coachella. Longest wait I have had is 20 minutes.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Default Re: Taxi Cabs are nice, but are not the best way to get around, if you play it smart.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I've had no problems with catching a cab the weekend of Coachella. Longest wait I have had is 20 minutes.
    Good to know. How far have you taken the cab? Do you remember, roughly, how much it costed?

Relatedly, did you ever leave your car at the campgrounds? I wonder what happens if you do.

Check out yellow cab of the desert they just posted their rates for the Festival. I guess they price match but it gives you a good idea of the cost.
    Last edited by WuTangFan; 04-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.