Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Oasis Music Festival

Default Re: Mountain Oasis Music Festival

Just looked at some pics of the arena. Wow. It is tiny. How many people does the arena hold?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I'm not sure how much it holds but by Arena standards it's small, I do like the way you can walk between the 2 venues without going outside. There was an open convention area encompassing it but they just seemed to use that for security checks and other things like that.

7.7k, according to exploreasheville.com. The arena is relatively small, but it's never heavily crowded - one of the things I love about this fest.

I was checking out some of the locals bands playing the festival, I am intrigued by Paper Tiger..

And I found this article...

Mountain festival offers ‘oasis’ for electronic music

Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:44 pm | Updated: 11:47 pm, Thu Oct 17, 2013.

Grant Golden, Staff Writer

When it comes to North Carolina, few cities hold a candle to the vibrant mountain town of Asheville. Hailed by many as the “San Francisco of the East,” Asheville is a hub for all things artistic, invigorating and innovative. So what better place to hold the first Mountain Oasis Electronic Music Summit?

Mountain Oasis, a new festival, is set to take place Oct. 25-27 in downtown Asheville, but a few things place this festival head and shoulders above its competitors.

For starters, Mountain Oasis boasts an eclectic lineup of powerhouse acts from various genres. Nine Inch Nails, Bassnectar, Animal Collective and a recently reunited Neutral Milk Hotel will perform at the festival.

Mountain Oasis shows it isn’t limited in scope to electronic music.

AC Entertainment, one of the largest music promotion companies in the nation, will run the festival. Ashley Capps heads AC Entertainment, the company behind Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee and Forecastle, KY. Until last year, the company was also in charge of Asheville’s Moogfest, an electronic festival that paid tribute to the legendary Bob Moog, the inventor of the Moog synthesizer.

“The festival that was known as Moogfest for the past three years was our vision,” Capps said. “We programmed it, produced, marketed it, staffed it and paid for it...everything.”

It was clear that Moogfest was a product of AC Entertainment.

“We were proud of what we had created, wanted to see it continue,” Capps said. “We had to rebrand our festival as Mountain Oasis.”

And the name certainly couldn’t be more aptly titled. Capps has been promoting shows in Asheville since the early ‘90s. For the past decade, Capps has been the talent buyer for The Orange Peel, a popular venue in the mountain town.

“Asheville is an amazingly fun and inspiring town,” Capps says. “[It’s] practically a festival in its own right, and we’re lucky to have it to tap into.”

Capps’ affinity for the city of Asheville is made abundantly clear when we peer into the inner workings of Mountain Oasis. The festival has collaborated with Asheville artists, restaurants, breweries and more to help shine a spotlight on the city’s rich cultural offerings.

In tandem with Asheville Brewing Company, the festival created the Electric Pale Ale, a brew that will be on display at several beer tastings throughout restaurants—just one of the ways that Mountain Oasis connects with the city.

Throughout the weekend there will also be panels that highlight some of the brightest minds in electronic music, interactive music exhibits, art shows and much more.

“We hope to further capture people’s imaginations and inspire them to explore their own creativity,” Capps said. “We hope to inspire music lovers to explore and discover new music as well as see the artists they love.”

Which, quite frankly, is exactly what festivalgoers will be able to do at Mountain Oasis. The festival perfectly tows the line between the hip and the classic. Artists such as Jessie Ware, Disclosure, XXYYXX and Robert DeLong are all swiftly rising acts in the electronic realm and they’ll be performing alongside legends such as Gary Numan.

Mountain Oasis offers five venues, which should make for an interesting combination of performances. It’s not often we see Neutral Milk Hotel bringing its jangly folk rock masterpieces to the same stage. Bassnectar melts faces and drops basses.

“Mountain Oasis is different from many other festivals,” Capps said. “The shows are indoors, and offers us the opportunity to present artists in different environments that offer different experiences.”

For example, Nine Inch Nails will perform in the 7,700 capacity ExploreAsheville.Com Arena, making for the most intimate performance of their worldwide tour.

With such an exhaustive lineup, there are plenty of incredible things to check out at Mountain Oasis. Whether it be a popular house music duo or an iconic anti-folk songwriter, festivalgoers will surely stumble upon plenty of awe-inspiring concert experiences at the festival.

“It’s going to be an unforgettable weekend,” Capps states, “and we want everyone in attendance to have the time of their lives.”

http://www.technicianonline.com/arts...9bb30f31a.html

Didnt organizers say they sold more festival passes in the first couple of hours of sales for MO than they ever sold in total for MoogFest? How much more crowded are the venues going to be this time around?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

What has the weather been like in the past? I am afraid that if I wear a jacket, I will be too warm in the venue but if I don't wear a jacket I will be cold walking from venue-to-venue and waiting for the cab once the fest is done. Just wondering what you guys have done in the past.

Well its better to have a jacket than not.They may have a coat check .
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Perfume Genius @ The Independent 10/21/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

Coat checking at every venue sounds tedious in inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    What has the weather been like in the past? I am afraid that if I wear a jacket, I will be too warm in the venue but if I don't wear a jacket I will be cold walking from venue-to-venue and waiting for the cab once the fest is done. Just wondering what you guys have done in the past.
    Last year I think the highs were in the 50s and the lows were in the 30s. I just wore hoodies and if I got hot in the arena from dancing like at Richie Hawtin I would take it off.

Also I don't remember there being any coat check last year

Bring a coat that isn't expensive/nice and just sit it on the bleachers that are folded up in the arena. A lot of people do it. Two of the other venues have seats so no problem. You can usually find a corner at Orange Peel or AMH to sit your jacket as well if you don't mind doing that. People are decent and the crowds are fairly small at this fest, I've left my stuff laying around past couple years with no problems.

You'll definitely want a coat though. It's going to be cold. Even if you end up having to hold it all night, I think it'll be worth it. The Low Friday is supposed to be 31.

Cool. Thanks guys. Also, do they search backpacks every time you enter a venue? Or are there not really any checks like that? With all the venue hopping it would kinda suck to be held back at searches at every venue. The only multi-venue fests I have ever been to before are Sled Island and POP Montreal, and neither of those really had your typical festival security checks at every venue.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i recall a sedurity check at the main complex but not at the smaller venues. I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I went to the 2011 Moogfest and it was it was cold but not so cold that it was unbearable but yes a jacket is a good idea.

And yes, I only remember security at the big venue and I only had one show get to capacity and had to wait which was Flying Lotus at the Thomas Wolfe auditorium.

I recall when they had that guy Terry Riley play. I was watching him and he was doing some acoustic guitar stuff with his son and some other instruments. It was a very quiet and understated show, these raver girls all decked out in rave girl came running in and when they saw what was happening on the stage they got really quiet and sad and shuffled out.

Another funny moment was this couple fighting via text, I was sitting above them, so I could see the texts, the husband wanted to stay and watch but the wife was so upset that The Drums were so whiny in her words.

I loved the outside stage but it did get super cold at night, so thinking back it probably wasn't such a great idea.

I was patted down at Orange Peel, but not at Asheville Music Hall. I'm not sure about Diana Wortham Theatre.
    Last edited by GooGooMuck; 10-20-2013 at 12:50 PM.

I didn't get patted down at the Orange Peel but maybe it depends on the day, they seemed pretty lax there, there was kid who was laughing for hours in the corner on a chair in a psychotic way so obviously he was super wasted and somebody pointed him out to security and the security guy said, "We'll just let him be, he's not hurting anyone, I'm sure he'll be fine soon."

And yeah, that's what happened, the guy laughed for hours in the corner then came to his sense and left.

anyone who has a state id instead of a DL, be prepared to not drink at the orange peel
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Guys, lets talk about food. Where are the places you must hit? I want some good BBQ. Google maps listed these places as top results in downtown Asheville

Tupelo Honey Cafe
    Bouchon
    Early Girl Eatery
    Table Asheville
    Carmel's Restaurant & Bar
    12 Bones Smokehouse (about a 10 minute drive outside of the downtown core)

Anyone been to any of these places? Any other recommendations google isn't covering?

I went to Bouchon last year and it was awesome. I plan on eating there again on Thursday night. I have heard very good things about Table. Places not on the list that I would consider checking out are
    Curate- fantastic tapas
    Salasa's- awesome Mexican food
    I have also heard really good things about Limones which is a Latin-fusion place
    As far as food at Breweries the menu at Wicked Weed looks awesome so I plan on eating there and of course the Pizza buffet at Asheville Brewing Company.
    Last edited by concertgoer; 10-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.

I went veggiesaurus when i was in asheville so sadly i can't rec any BBQ joints.

Theres a place on Lexington between DWT and OP but i don't recall the name. Gimme a few days and I'll get back to ya.

anyone who wants my phone# PM me.

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like lots of great places to choose from. The menu at Bouchon looked great, so I am glad to hear its good. Will definitely find time to stop there over the weekend. How is the food at the Thirsty Monk? From what I have been told, their beer selection is unreal, so I wouldn't mind grabbing dinner and trying a whole bunch of new beers there one of the nights.

Also, we are all meeting at the Asheville Brewing Co at noon on Friday, right? Im getting my 2 hours worth of Pizza!

Yeah, noon at ABC on Friday sounds good to me !

Food at the Monk is delicious. Will drink/eat there any night.

Just looked at the menu at Early Girl Eatery and it looks awesome. Gonna have to try to do breakfast there on Saturday or Sunday.

Om nom nom. All this food sounds great. I heard there is a music festival or something happening this weekend too. Has anyone looked into that? Worth attending? I don't even know if I will make it to the venues there is so much food/ beer stuff to check out in the city.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Weather.

Thurs. 54/34
    Fri. 43/23
    Sat. 52/32
    Sun. 57/32
    Mon. 59/39

Friday gonna be brrrrr. It's been about 90 here in Phoenix lately.

Im hitting the road tomorrow, cant wait to see you all there! Ive got my 2 year old son coming too, we just got him some earmuffs, so hopefully he likes Claude VonStroke and Purity Ring, lol.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Getting ready to leave! About to pack, get a couple hours of sleep, then head off to the airport. See you guys all Friday at the buffet! Do we need to make reservations or anything? I know I will be there with Paul B + 3 others, we also have faxman +1, concertgoer (+?), heart cooks brain (+?)... anyone else?

I might join you guys if you don't mind. That is, if I don't sleep in.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.