Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: funeral etiquette

Default Re: funeral etiquette

We've all seen your photos and they probably are beautiful. Asking permission was clearly a wise choice. But, to me, it seems that some things are best left stored in our personal memory. I don't need the tangible evidence of the funeral experience.

Unless, it was James Brown.

i hear you. One of the main reasons i don't force the pictures on people (email them unrequested, slip them in a slide show of "best of") is a sensitivity to the different reactions we all have to funerals.

The James Brown funeral picture slide show would be too tempting not to throw in LA Style's "James Brown is Dead".

I have been kicked out of a funeral before. A junior high friend of mine bought a motorcycle and crashed it 2 blocks from the dealership. He was in high school by then. I ran into a couple of close friends from my same school at the funeral. We didn't even know that we both knew him. We started reminiscing about him and how crazy he was. We started laughing and of course we had been smoking before attending. A member of the family came over and asked us to leave. I apologized and explained what had happened but they made us leave anyways.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Similar scenario - A friend of mine died in a diving accident in Mexico. At his funeral, we all (in honor of him) smoked out as we know he would have wished. Boy, giggling at a funeral does not go over well. We didn't get kicked out, but we sure weren't welcome. We felt horrible, until his mom came over to us after and gave us all a tearful hug. Holy shit, I'm crying right now just thinking about it. Rest in Peace - JP

Sorry. I miss my friend as well.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Yea.

It is ironic the first three letters of the word "funeral" spell the word FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    It is Ken. But it makes me think "did the origin of the word 'funeral' come about from the fun that people tend to have during the funeral ceremony?" True, the sadness of the event is the emotion that colors the majority of the experience (for most...i'm sure funerals are attended often by parties who do not feel as fondly for the deceased...i'm talking to you Tony Soprano); but the story telling by those who had true good times with the deceased with each other or by listening to the public oration, make it one of the heartier laughing times. The regular laughter at a gathering for the dead for ancient cultures maybe set off:

Caveman days, let's say England (but, if you know the country of origin for the word, please interject), Ughman is thinking "Wow, Pughnah was killed by a mad teradactel (sp). Another gathering for the death. That is the 5th one this month. Man, this sure is a bummer. When am i gonna die? i wonder if Nugjug and Moomug will show. Haven't seen them since we were them since we went to the big stone rocks at the observatory (where the demons dwell- Spinal Tap) for that Beating on Rocks festival...man that was sooo fun...Pughnah totally ate shit and fell off the top the one in front of Bonham...man that guy can play beats...cry....weird how i'm looking forward to seeing them?...these gatherings tend to be kind of fun at points...i think i should call it something fun. " Add a million years and and e,r,a, and l and viola! "funeral" (to be ripped off later by the Arcade Fire).

irrelevant spillage of the noggin'. ba da bump.
    Last edited by ivankay; 05-23-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Caveman days, let's say England (but, if you know the country of origin for the word, please interject), Ughman is thinking "Wow, Pughnah was killed by a mad teradactel (sp). Another gathering for the death. That is the 5th one this month. Man, this sure is a bummer. When am i gonna die? i wonder if Nugjug and Moomug will show. Haven't seen them since we were them since we went to the big stone rocks at the observatory (where the demons dwell- Spinal Tap) for that Beating on Rocks festival...man that was sooo fun...Pughnah totally ate shit and fell off the top the one in front of Bonham...man that guy can play beats...cry....weird how i'm looking forward to seeing them?...these gatherings tend to be kind of fun at points...i think i should call it something fun. " Add a million years and and e,r,a, and l and viola! "funeral" (to be ripped off later by the Arcade Fire).

irrelevant spillage of the noggin'. ba da bump.
    "The word funeral comes from the Latin funus, which had a variety of meanings, including the corpse and the funerary rites themselves."

Or that.

But i guess deriving "fun" from funeral adds that tinge of apathy...
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

my license plate frame says "put the fun back in funeral"

and i think there is a law that the procession has the right a way and they dont have to stop for stop lights, signs ........at least in california.

SOmetimes, a wake after a funeral has amazing food. The last one I went to had the best bagels and lox imaginable. Has anyone ever gone up to the widow at a funeral and aks "So, you here with anybody?"

SOmetimes, a wake after a funeral has amazing food. The last one I went to had the best bagels and lox imaginable. Has anyone ever gone up to the widow at a funeral and aks "So, you here with anybody?"
    ah Ken....it is appropriate is that your 1067th post is a tacky, tastless joke. Congrats on reaching your name sake's milestone.

That joke was from an Andrew DIce Clay HBO special from 1989. I still think he can be funny, but I prefer Gilbert Gottfried and Bobcat Goldthwaite.