Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones at STAPLES CENTER in LA right after Coachella

Default Re: The Rolling Stones at STAPLES CENTER in LA right after Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    And it wouldn't matter anyway if they didn't book any of those. People still freak out and buy festival passes no matter who or what is playing these days. Festival culture has evolved and changed for the worse. Now it's just a thing to do because it's hip.
    Fads end.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Who cares about big headliners? I will take this years model of smaller headliners and a stacked undercard over a top heavy lineup any year.
    As would I, definitely. Not so sure about the unwashed masses, however.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Well cheaper, yes. I dunno about cost effective.

Thinking about this some more it seems quite clear to me that they are going to add Daft Punk at the very last minute; that they've planned it that way all along and the late add will be a huge publicity stunt that will benefit both GV/the Coachella brand and DP. It's been there from the beginning.. the weak Britpop headliners Friday; the rumors that DP was gonna play, that it was a done deal, then all of a sudden 'oops, no, not gonna happen'; and now the new album. It's all so obvious.
    U TROLLIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    Coachella will sell out next year regardless of what happens this year. Radiohead, Tool, Daft Punk, Soulwax, and Pearl Jam all have new works coming out this/next year and people will buy tickets in hope one, two or all are on the lineup.

And it wouldn't matter anyway if they didn't book any of those. People still freak out and buy festival passes no matter who or what is playing these days. Festival culture has evolved and changed for the worse. Now it's just a thing to do because it's hip.
    1) I think only a small percentage of people do the headliner-speculating game to anywhere near the extent it occurs here. Most people aren't connecting the dots between album releases, tour dates, and potential festival appearances.

2) Maybe in some circles festivals are 'hip', but not mine. In my circle festivals are deemed too expensive and full of bands people have never heard of or care about much.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Fads end.
    And yes, this. Which makes me wonder about the long term viability of events like this, after the current boom ends.

doubt GV signs a 17 year deal without feeling confident about their brand and their ability to throw festivals.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

The festival "fad" in America has been going strong since 2002. It's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    U TROLLIN?
    Not at all. I just think there is a very good chance this is going to happen. (I don't have any inside info, it's just logical).

Coachella books DP, but then they start thinking... how can we leverage this to really get a lot of publicity? Really make a big splash in the press? Give people something they'll talk about for years?

Then they realize, Coachella's gonna sell out anyway... think of the shitstorm of excitement that would happen if we announced DP at the very last minute? People would go fucking nuts. Those dirty hippies at Bonnaroo would be totally left in the dust.

By the way this is not wishful thinking.. I think Daft Punk is utter tripe.

wishful thinking or not... i like it.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    The festival "fad" in America has been going strong since 2002. It's not going anywhere.
    Yeah but will it still be held in the same high regard as it is now? With the shrinking available pool of true headliners as discussed in another thread (part of the changing nature of the industry as a whole) will they have to broaden their base significantly? Maybe go in a different direction before bringing it back to "classic" coachella? I think the Foo Fighers are an likely booking at some point in the future despite their slightly bro-rock image.

I remember reading an interview with Paul T right after the two weekend announcement happened and he basically said that he hoped that both weekends just come up short of selling out so that everyone who wanted to go would be able to. So I really don't think he is concerned with instant sellouts in the future.

The festival is going to sell out one way or another. Whether its big headliners, exclusive reunions, presale hype, or late adds. I think the whole thing Tom is trying to get behind is the idea of creating one of a kind (well yes, two of a kind) moments. Its not about getting people to jump at presale for next year, but keeping them on their toes, asking what is Coachella going to do next?

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    U TROLLIN?

1) I think only a small percentage of people do the headliner-speculating game to anywhere near the extent it occurs here. Most people aren't connecting the dots between album releases, tour dates, and potential festival appearances.

2) Maybe in some circles festivals are 'hip', but not mine. In my circle festivals are deemed too expensive and full of bands people have never heard of or care about much.

And yes, this. Which makes me wonder about the long term viability of events like this, after the current boom ends.
    Wrong.

The "large" festivals (Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Coachella, EDC) all three sell out as of late for no goddamn reason.

The smaller fests are starting to catch up (Sasquatch, SF Outsidelands, Treasure Island...)

So wrong, wrong and wrong.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

Fuck The Stones. I don't wanna be smelling Mick's old man leathery brand after shave. Grrr-ose!

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

So when do the NHL playoffs get scheduled? Is this show's date going to be announced like 3 days before? I notice the season goes well into April
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

The undercard is solid every year. I don't see what's wrong with wanting big/rare headliners, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by syrrus101 View Post
    Fuck The Stones. I don't wanna be smelling Mick's old man leathery brand after shave. Grrr-ose!
    the smell of liquid heat washes over the crowd from back stage
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha99 View Post
    Long-time Stones fan here but fuck the Stones. 4 stops in California and 1 in neighboring Nevada? They are cut-throat when it comes to business. It wouldn't surprise me if they used Coachella in negotiations to squeeze every last ticket dollar out of their promoter...
    This... I was thinking the exact same thing. I think we got used, used like a whore's vagina.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    The undercard is solid every year. I don't see what's wrong with wanting big/rare headliners, though.
    This year's undercard seems slightly more stacked than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jck83 View Post
    Heres the million $ question, How do you beat bringing Tupac back from the dead? Its either with Daft Punk or The Rolling Stones or Both. Mark my words. They are about to add a Fall festival date as well, which will cut the demand of the tickets in the spring.
    The fall festival will have nothing to do with Coachella or Coachela type bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha99 View Post
    Long-time Stones fan here but fuck the Stones. 4 stops in California and 1 in neighboring Nevada? They are cut-throat when it comes to business. It wouldn't surprise me if they used Coachella in negotiations to squeeze every last ticket dollar out of their promoter...
    You mean the promoter that happens to be the same company that is a part of Coachella?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...mmer-interview

Charlie Watts talking about how he hates playing festivals...maybe part of the reason for no Coachella:

I don't like playing outdoors, and I certainly don't like festivals. I've always thought they're nothing to do with playing. Playing is what I'm doing at the weekend. That's how I was brought up. But that's me, personally. When you're a band … you do anything and everything. But Glastonbury, it's old hat really. I never liked the hippy thing to start with. It's not what I'd like to do for a weekend, I can tell you. The worst thing playing outdoors is when the wind blows, if you're a drummer, because the cymbals move … it really is hard to play then.

old school

They wanted to commit only 1-2 months in advance, not 3-4 months.

I really curious on the insurance contract for this tour. Arena dates can be shuffled, big payday festivals are a different ballgame.

The points about brand protection are right on. While my group and I are insanely excited for this year, I know a lot of people who are bummed about the lineup and sold their tickets. While I am totally content with a stacked undercard, that is not the opinion of the majority of attendees, especially now that it is two weekends. For most of my friends who are not music nerds but have loved Coachella in the past, they need a couple huge names to justify taking the time off work, paying for the tickets/hotel/campsite, etc.

While I don't think there will be any significant late additions this year, it absolutely would not be a bad idea to add somebody big even though the festival is sold out. I think the general consensus is that this is a weak lineup. While I strongly disagree, this year they decided to both draw back from huge electronic names (good move), and also failed to lock in a gigantic headliner. I think both of those happening in the same year has weakened the "brand" in the general public's eyes, but it's nothing they can't save with a stronger set of headliners next year.

The point is you can't sell out two weekends by just stacking an undercard. GV knows this though, and I bet they are already trying to lock in a huge headliner for next year.

And TomAZ's Daft Punk scenario, if they pulled that off they would absolutely shit on every other festival. It would be a gigantic move. It won't happen, but that alone would solidly cement Coachella above every domestic music festival.

Too bad it won't happen.

No one. NO ONE. Will EVER book Daft Punk as a "surprise"

Anyone who thinks it's plausible is a fucking retard.

There is absolutely no benefit to springing Daft Punk on unsuspecting concert goers. It doesn't matter if they're booked or not people will buy tickets just because of the possibility due to the new album.

I just don't get these idiotic pipe dreams being treated as remotely feasible.

Yeah, as much as I would be like "OMG DAFT PUNK" if they show up by surprise, I would also be disappointed because that would mean next to zero chance of them being on the lineup proper next year, with a full set, and that is what I really want. None of this surprise, show-up-during-Phoenix stuff.

Imagine...
    The set times drop Tuesday morning and the Sunday night Main Stage slot says "9-11pm: ????". The board and the world wet themselves with excitement. Tickets on Ebay, Stubhub and Craigslist spike to $1000. All weekend the grounds buzz with people talking about how into DP they are, that they have like totally listened to them, "since like at least 2007 or whenever it was when Kanye sampled that one song" and that they are like the biggest DP fans ever.

The big moment arrives, the lights come up and...PSY! Horsey-dance bitchesssssss

And that will be the story of how GV trolled the Coachella Message Board and the World.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Can't be more bro than Gotye.

That's a lot of money and work to troll a Message Board first, and then, the world.

Quote Originally Posted by DJroomba View Post
    Imagine...
    The set times drop Tuesday morning and the Sunday night Main Stage slot says "9-11pm: ????". The board and the world wet themselves with excitement. Tickets on Ebay, Stubhub and Craigslist spike to $1000. All weekend the grounds buzz with people talking about how into DP they are, that they have like totally listened to them, "since like at least 2007 or whenever it was when Kanye sampled that one song" and that they are like the biggest DP fans ever.

The big moment arrives, the lights come up and...PSY! Horsey-dance bitchesssssss

And that will be the story of how GV trolled the Coachella Message Board and the World.
    I'd be okay with this. I might literally fall over and roll on the grass over discarded bits of food and junk as I fucking die laughing.

Lurker

It is a slow day at work for me.... man this messing with my head

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    You mean the promoter that happens to be the same company that is a part of Coachella?
    I was under the impression that GoldenVoice, even though it was under the umbrella of AEG, that it was left to its own devices for the most part.

I gather from your comment that is not the case...