Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yeah Yeah Yeahs "MOSQUITO"

Default Re: Yeah Yeah Yeahs "MOSQUITO"

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    Is anyone going to remind him that Interpol and the Strokes are American, who have created their "best work ever" in the past three years? No one?
    Not really the point I was making. From 2000 onwards the majority of bands I listen to have been North American.

The points you are making are blanket generalizations. That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    Not really the point I was making. From 2000 onwards the majority of bands I listen to have been North American.
    Except Biffy Clyro?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Except Biffy Clyro?
    Biffy Clyro are heinous

I'm digging a number of these songs, but yeah staring at that album cover is just weirding me out haha

Worst. Album Cover. Ever.

2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

The Strokes and Interpol are both much much better than the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Yeah there are some album covers that require to be manually changed in your audio player because they're so bad, this is one of those covers.

I agree that Interpol are much better than YYY's and the Strokes. They have only had one average/bad album too(S/T). I stand by this statement, OLTA>Antics(before you talk shit, go back and listen to it, people slept on that album so hard). The Strokes have gotten worse with each album(sigh). YYY's are still a force live, but not like before, album wise they are dropping turds at this point. FUCK MOSQUITO!

If it wasn't for the Strokes then guitar music would have died. Nickelback, Limp Bizkit etc would have made sure of that. A bit of respect is needed I think.
    Nickelback's first major hit was from the same year as The Strokes' debut. Also, every band you mentioned feature prominent guitar.

Just like Nirvana got rid of hair metal, The Strokes got rid of Nu Metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    And yet Nickelback is as popular as ever.
    Not nu metal, but ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Not nu metal, but ok.
    No shit.

Is Subway anyone else's favorite song? Karen's voice... and those train sounds... I've gotta say it rivals Maps and Modern Romance as one of their best slow songs.

Can't wait to see them on Sunday!

Interview/full album stream...

10/3 M.A.N.D.Y. @ ?
    10/4 Liars/The Blood Brothers @ Summerstage
    10/4 KiNK/Atomô/Tin Man @ Output
    10/5 The Blood Brothers @ Warsaw

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Great read from Spin

This was a great show to see after Pavement gig @ Central Park an hour before...

Karen O is onstage at New York's 250-capacity Mercury Lounge, wearing a dress with a red-white-and-blue zig-zag pattern adorned with party streamers, screaming, "It's our time, sweet baby / To BREAK…ON…THROUGH!" with some brunette named Vanessa. TV on the Radio's Kyp Malone is moshing me into a pulp alongside the singer's brother and the floor is so drenched with beer that there isn't a dry shoe in the house. It's September 24, 2010 — exactly 10 years to the day that Yeah Yeah Yeahs played their first-ever gig here, opening for the White Stripes. A few key differences at this special anniversary show: a) Everyone knows the songs; b) There's an after-hang at a West Side strip club; and c) Mary-Kate Olsen attends the party.
    All the Yeah Yeahs Yeahs (and the eloquent Sitek) can tell tales about pushing Zinner's buttons during the recording of Mosquito, but Karen and the guitarist easily agree on which two albums provided them with the most inspiration: Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Anika, the eponymous album from the punk-noir singer and Geoff Barrow of Portishead. "Those two spawned this record, and Nick turned me on to both of them," Karen says. "That just goes to show we are on the same page when we start, and we're on the same page when we end, but something really fucked-up happens in between."

Zinner calls the West record "a masterpiece" (he praises Watch the Throne, too) and says Fantasy and the Anika LP "jumped out as being totally fucking outsider, left-of-the-box music. They didn't sound like anything else that I'd heard." Karen admits that she had been a Kanye hater, "Which makes it even more poignant." She pauses and sings the opening bars of the leadoff track, "Dark Fantasy," from West's album: "Can we get much higher?" Her face is overtaken by serene awe. "It's so soulful, and I love soul," she says. "The vibe lifted me out of the mundane and took me somewhere else, man. And it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's a work of art. It's a record. It was a moment of clarity. His signal was crystal clear and we all got it. One of the last records that made me feel that way was Under Construction by Missy Elliott."

Mosquito doesn't seem like a very immediate album at first — the remote, hazy production and a general mistiness seem to be holding you at arm's length — but it creeps up the back of your spine after a few listens, like the warm ooze of an opiate as it worms its way into your bloodstream. When I make this observation over our dessert of brownies and cookies, Karen O is giddy.

"Yes, yes!" she exclaims, offering me a high-five over our glasses of white wine. "I don't want to come across as some really bad spokesperson, but when I was 14 and I was getting high in a basement with my friends, this is the record that I'd have listened to. I want the kids in the basements with their bong to listen to this."
    http://www.spin.com/articles/yeah-ye...ch-2013?page=0

10/3 M.A.N.D.Y. @ ?
    10/4 Liars/The Blood Brothers @ Summerstage
    10/4 KiNK/Atomô/Tin Man @ Output
    10/5 The Blood Brothers @ Warsaw

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

They have been one of my favorite acts since Fever To Tell, but their last album was a bust for me and this one upon first listen isnt awful but....I seriously doubt Ill see them at Coachella
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.