Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL SOBERCHELLA MINUS THE INDOCTRINATION THREAD

Default OFFICIAL SOBERCHELLA MINUS THE INDOCTRINATION THREAD

I'm not a sober person, but having friends and family living under the weight of addiction, I recognize that it's a disease and not simply a matter of willpower.

So, I made this thread to encourage sober people to socialize, meet each other, and arrange their own group for the festival WITHOUT the indoctrinating, religious bullshit that is AA/NA. The Soberchella group should not be your only option for staying sober on the fields. I'm sure some of you got sober without their help or are trying to stay sober without it, and could use a support group that won't spend 3-4 days feeding bullshit into your brain.

As I said, I'm not an addict or a sober person, but it's happened to so many friends and family, and as a kid I watched a close relative get taken advantage of by AA for 5 years before finally taking control of his own sobriety. Big ups to all of you going through the struggle.

Default Re: OFFICIAL SOBERCHELLA MINUS THE INDOCTRINATION THREAD

Shorter version: I have major problems with AA. The Soberchella group is loosely affiliated with the the AA program. Everyone else should agree with my major problems with AA, and accordingly not participate in the Soberchella group, but should instead come up with another sobriety program. I have no solutions or advice to offer on what this other sobriety program should be, and indeed will not participate in it myself.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 04-01-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Shorter version: I have major problems with AA. The Soberchella group is loosely affiliated with the the AA program. Everyone else should agree with my major problems with AA, and accordingly not participate in the Soberchella group, but should instead come up with another sobriety program. I have no solutions or advice to offer on what this other sobriety program should be, and indeed will not participate in it myself.
    Thank you! Very well said.

So, Media Blitz, what solutions do you have to offer people going through a struggle with addiction? I'm just curious seeing as how you are not a sober person.
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner.

With all due respect, unless it is something you have gone through (which it sounds like you have no need to and have no desire to either), you have no right to be criticizing any sobriety program. It's fairly reprehensible to write off a supportive and inclusive group that might be the only way for a former addict to function at an event where many will be openly flaunting the use of virtually every type of addictive substance known to man.

Thanks for providing another platform for spreading our message:

SOBERCHELLA.com
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

By message, you mean your Amway-like pyramid scheme by way of Christianist indoctrination.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

if you get five former addicts who get five former addicts five levels deep, you'll have 3905 addicts.

this makes more sense when it involves money.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

By message, you mean your Amway-like pyramid scheme by way of Christianist indoctrination.
    I think it's all out in the open now. You wouldn't expect me to like, find some way to pay my own way? We've grown accustomed to a certain standard of living. No need to be such a heartless bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    I think it's all out in the open now. You wouldn't expect me to like, find some way to pay my own way? We've grown accustomed to a certain standard of living. No need to be such a heartless bastard.
    You're the heartless bastard here, trying to help people have fun at a music festival while maintaining a lifestyle that won't kill them. For free. How do you even sleep at night you monster?

Maybe you just have retarded relatives. I mean, I doubt the apple fell too far from the tree.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    You're the heartless bastard here, trying to help people have fun at a music festival while maintaining a lifestyle that won't kill them. For free. How do you even sleep at night you monster?
    Sleep number 35

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    I'm not a sober person, but having friends and family living under the weight of addiction, I recognize that it's a disease and not simply a matter of willpower.

So, I made this thread to encourage sober people to socialize, meet each other, and arrange their own group for the festival WITHOUT the indoctrinating, religious bullshit that is AA/NA. The Soberchella group should not be your only option for staying sober on the fields. I'm sure some of you got sober without their help or are trying to stay sober without it, and could use a support group that won't spend 3-4 days feeding bullshit into your brain.

As I said, I'm not an addict or a sober person, but it's happened to so many friends and family, and as a kid I watched a close relative get taken advantage of by AA for 5 years before finally taking control of his own sobriety. Big ups to all of you going through the struggle.

Absolutely pathetic

I'll make the AA Stole My 401K shirts.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Sleep number 35
    You must be pilfering money if you have a Sleep Number Bed.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    You must be pilfering money if you have a Sleep Number Bed.
    And I'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you pesky kids.

His mattress is stuffed with cash and complimentary disposable needles.

Paraphrasing here, but Steve Earle once said something to the effect of "I don't believe in god because I choose to, I believe in god because I have to. It's the only way I can stay sober."

Relevant to AA's "indoctrination"... substance abuse is so destructive, so awful to the person and their loved ones, that we kinda just have to take the imperfect methods of sobriety with their flaws. I don't give a flying fart if they seem like a creepy cult, those programs saved some of my most beloved people.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

iinCharacteristics Associated with Cultic Groups - Revised

Janja Lalich, Ph.D. & Michael D. Langone, Ph.D.

Concerted efforts at influence and control lie at the core of cultic groups, programs, and relationships. Many members, former members, and supporters of cults are not fully aware of the extent to which members may have been manipulated, exploited, even abused. The following list of social-structural, social-psychological, and interpersonal behavioral patterns commonly found in cultic environments may be helpful in assessing a particular group or relationship.
    Compare these patterns to the situation you were in (or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved). This list may help you determine if there is cause for concern. Bear in mind that this list is not meant to be a “cult scale” or a definitive checklist to determine if a specific group is a cult. This is not so much a diagnostic instrument as it is an analytical tool.

* The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.
    ‪* Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.
    ‪* Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).
    ‪* The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).
    ‪* The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).
    ‪* The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.
    ‪* The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).
    ‪* The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).
    ‪* The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.
    ‪* Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.
    ‪* The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.
    ‪* The group is preoccupied with making money.
    ‪* Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.
    ‪* Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.
    ‪* The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.

Yo no tengo tiempo para ti.

But Gunz,

all we gots is time.

One day ...

Potential solution - a person with a few years of sobriety under their belt who is not affiliated with any Jesus freak 12 step program steps up to the plate and forms a meetup group. You can still do the meetings and talk about your experiences, go as a group, etc. just without the involvement of an organization bent on taking advantage of desperate people afflicted with a disease.

Replacing booze or drugs with Jesus isn't sobriety, it's a new addiction.

You're the only one that seems desperate here, MB.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    You're the only one that seems desperate here, MB.
    Hey, I'm going to be having a great time. I'm not an addict. What I hate seeing is addicts being taken advantage of by AA, because I've seen it first hand.

How does aa take advantage of me?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I don't think Kory has ever made it any kind of a secret that he/soberchella uses AA/NA as a means, so if anyone has a problem with that organization they are of course free to organize whatever kind of meet-ups they want, without someone going out of their way to bash somebody else's attempts to help other people.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

We'd never exclude Jesus if he wanted to come to a meeting but honestly I've only ever seen him once or twice. We're pretty ethnically diverse.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Also, I've met Kory in person and not only is he very nice and friendly, but is also extremely handsome.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Also, I've met Kory in person and not only is he very nice and friendly, but is also extremely handsome.
    Only as a result of all this AA loot I'm living on. I takes a lot to keep this body up, it's high milage.