Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bad Karma Thread - Your Worst Coachella Day and The Worst Coachella Sets Ever

Default The Bad Karma Thread - Your Worst Coachella Day and The Worst Coachella Sets Ever

Dig in here, be merciless...

Least Favorite Day Ever - Saturday 2010 - Don't get me wrong, there were some gem sets...Almighty Defenders were a lively and hysterical starter, Gossip was fantastic, Devo was a blast and what one could hear of Dead Weather's set was solid...but daytime flow was decimated by the Volcano, especially loss of Frightened Rabbits and Temper Trap, crowds squeezed me out of Portugal The Man, and every where else I turned it was bad prog (and I like prog) Muse a worse headliner than Jack Johnson in my book...their music so cheesed out can't get past it, then duds like Porcupine Tree, a horrible sets from MGMT and Shooter Jennings, flat, just okay efforts from The Xx, Dirty Projectors, Camera Obscura, Girls, and the massively overrated Band Of Skulls.

My Worst Coachella Sets of All Time (2008 - Present):

1. Sly Stone (2010) - May never be surpassed in the train wreck department, but such a train wreck, almost doesn't deserve worst rating, as it was impossible not to watch.

2. DFA 1979 (2011) - Like the album but live what a dreadful melodically challenged hour to sit through, at a mainstage 6pm slot that should have been given to the vastly superior National.

3. Animal Collective (2010) - They've got some great songs...so do the Doors...Hard to see this band being viewed as anything but the most overrated band of the last decade in another ten years. Or maybe I hated this set so much just because I don't do drugs (my tripping friends seems to like it a lot more than I). But to these sober eyes, I've never witnessed another set where the band seemed more disconnected from the audience...Afterburner made the last half hour interesting for a few minutes, but overall, just such a fucking waste of time, spent with a band that is given way, way too much credit critically...why oh why is Youth Lagoon suddenly moving in this direction.

4. Miguel (2011) - Gotta give Miguel credit, he's rebounded well, but this opening Firday 2011 set was the most unintentionally cheesy Coachella set I've ever seen.

5. Murder City Devils (2009) - Some no-name hardcore punk outfit Tollett popped a boner for after seeing live locally and added to 2009 schedule at last minute. Somehow ended up in the tent and seeing over half the show. Haven't heard of this band since, not the slightest bit surprised.

6. Fleet Foxes (2009) - Possibly the most cowardly showing I've witnessed at the festival. Drowned out by Thievery Corporation on the main, they wilted under the pressure and the size of the crowd and let the crowd choose whether to end on Myknos or Blue Ridge Mountains when they had plenty of time left for both.

7. Givers (2012) - The moment I knew that bright, Pitchfork-hyped, polyglot indie pop of last five years had finally run its course, an all energy, no conceptual clue-type set. Not an ounce of coherent artistic intention on display.

I'd list Passion Pit 2010 - but I bailed within seconds of seeing lead singer try to belch out his falsetto notes the first time...a genuinely disturbing sight. But the story has a happy ending, I ended up watching backup plan Gil Scott Heron, who delivered what remains to this day one of my all-time favorite Coachella Sets.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 03-29-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Default Re: The Bad Karma Thread - Your Worst Coachella Day and The Worst Coachella Sets Ever

Azealia Banks 2012, Weekend 2
    The heat caused several audio problems and she had to stop a few times. 212 and Firestarter were the highlights but I still can't forgive myself for choosing her over Childish Gambino.

Default Re: The Bad Karma Thread - Your Worst Coachella Day and The Worst Coachella Sets Ever

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post

2. DFA 1979 (2011) - Like the album but live what a dreadful melodically challenged hour to sit through, at a mainstage 6pm slot that should have been given to the vastly superior National.

DFA'S set was fucking awesome. I have no fucking idea what the hell you're talking about. Completely bias.
    "And I know that I gotta be above it now
    And I know that I can't let them bring me down
    And I gotta bide my time as a face in the crowd
    And I know that I gotta be above it now"

I love Real Estate on record but they bored the hell out of me last year
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

Uffie 2008, worst set in Coachella history
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

My worst Coachella day was saved by the music. Friday, 2012 - I missed all the boardie meet ups. I was cold and exhausted, and the grey cloudy skies enhanced my emotional and physical turmoil. But Madness saved me. Music heals my soul.

5. Murder City Devils (2009) - Some no-name hardcore punk outfit Tollett popped a boner for after seeing live locally and added to 2009 schedule at last minute. Somehow ended up in the tent and seeing over half the show. Haven't heard of this band since, not the slightest bit surprised.
    Well this was just a dumb entry. The others i'll give you, but this? No.

Quote Originally Posted by geonotgio View Post
    DFA'S set was fucking awesome. I have no fucking idea what the hell you're talking about. Completely bias.
    Agreed!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cee Lo in 2011. That set was embarrassing.

Radiohead in 2012. Weaksauce 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I have a feeling its going to be this year so will hold off on answering.

The first day of... 2010? Whichever day it was where the geniuses at Will Call ran out of wristbands by 11:30am. 2010, in general, was probably my weakest year.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cee Lo in 2011. That set was embarrassing.
    Yeah

Worst day was Sunday 08. Left way early to drive home. I don't care about Roger Waters and after The Streets cancelled I was over it. Just didn't care about seeing anyone that day really.
    Last edited by abbeyroad 04; 03-30-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ
    Yeah, can I get a grande latte mocha double shot no cream 2 splendas and skim?

Gotye was disappointing Weekend 2, 2012 but I also left halfway through.

Friday Weekend 2, 2012 was rough for me but it was mostly due to the heat.

3. Animal Collective (2010) - They've got some great songs...so do the Doors...Hard to see this band being viewed as anything but the most overrated band of the last decade in another ten years. Or maybe I hated this set so much just because I don't do drugs (my tripping friends seems to like it a lot more than I). But to these sober eyes, I've never witnessed another set where the band seemed more disconnected from the audience...Afterburner made the last half hour interesting for a few minutes, but overall, just such a fucking waste of time, spent with a band that is given way, way too much credit critically...why oh why is Youth Lagoon suddenly moving in this direction.

They did not play in 2010. and if you mean 2011. they did not play Afterburner.

The Morning Benders in 2011

some pyramid thing in 2006..

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Radiohead in 2012. Weaksauce 1.
    This. It was super cold and Radiohead waited an hour before playing anything off Bends/OK Computer/Kid A. By the time the were getting to their more well known earlier material it was virtually the encore. Total letdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Radiohead played last year?

jesus, who would read this thread?
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

zombie jesus would read this
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Dig in here, be merciless...

You're a fucking idiot. Nuff said.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Worst set I have ever had to sit through was animal collective in 2010. Had to watch them so we would be as close as possible for arcade fire. So fucking boring.....

Worst day by far has to be a tossup between Friday and Saturday of 2010. Unlike the OP I saw a lot of bands that fucking killed it, that wasn't the problem. The organization of everything was just such a clusterfuck that weekend that it made it challenging to enjoy even with an incredibly strong lineup. It was still good, I'd still rather be there than almost anywhere else, but man there were Problems with a capital P that year. Parking was a mess, getting wristbands was a nightmare, security was a bad joke, everything was massively overcrowded from all the douche hats sneaking in, trash all over the fucking place, etc etc. It was honestly embarrassing coming from a company as experienced at this as Goldenvoice, I'm not sure what the hell happened.

This doesn't have to do with the music, but my experience with a frat while waiting in line to get into the festival.

Bros were shotgunning in line being rowdy and starting chants, which generally doesn't bother me. They may not be my type of people when it comes to social gatherings, but they're there to have fun--who am I to actively condemn them despite my obvious judgements?

I wasn't bothered until one of the bros, sporting a backwards trucker hat and a 1/3 buttoned pink shirt with, of course, the collar up, starting harassing the women in the line to the right of him. Here's a series of things he said:

"Nice tits. What are you? 14. You have nice tits for a 14 year old"
    "Imma rape you tonight"

Luckily, there were a number of people around me who were disgusted and asked him to chime down. He eventually did, but that left a really sour taste in my mouth. I'm very much in the camp of naivete to think that Coachella is a haven for like-minded folk. It was a shocking reminder that dudes like him exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    Worst day by far has to be a tossup between Friday and Saturday of 2010. Unlike the OP I saw a lot of bands that fucking killed it, that wasn't the problem. The organization of everything was just such a clusterfuck that weekend that it made it challenging to enjoy even with an incredibly strong lineup. It was still good, I'd still rather be there than almost anywhere else, but man there were Problems with a capital P that year. Parking was a mess, getting wristbands was a nightmare, security was a bad joke, everything was massively overcrowded from all the douche hats sneaking in, trash all over the fucking place, etc etc. It was honestly embarrassing coming from a company as experienced at this as Goldenvoice, I'm not sure what the hell happened.

The Truth.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

M.I.A. - 2008 - Total meltdown in an insanely overcrowded Sahara. A set that should have been held on the outdoor stage that was burdened by technical problems, too many people on stage, a bizarre barrage of blasting horn samples, and a crazy onstage verbal argument between the singer and her DJ.

MGMT - 2008 - a super packed tent with a very enthusiastic crowd ready to be blown away by the creators of a very exciting record...only to watch one of the most mediocre, energy-deficient sets I have ever seen.

Imogen Heap - 2010 - A very capable and talented singer/songwriter and producer with a very ambitious solo stage set up acting like a chicken with its head cut off as she fumbled with her equipment, started and stopped songs multiple times, and rambled for minutes as she tried to get things to work. One of the most disappointing sets I have ever seen.

Magnetic Man - 2011 - I caught this one while waiting for something else, but WTF. Maybe the music was decent, but super aggro, angry as fuck MC literally screaming at the audience throughout every song was some of the most annoying bullshit I have ever experienced.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I agree with Magnetic Man.

Ill also add OFWGKTA. Waaay late, yelling, uncoordinated, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone