Thread: Dry Ice

Question Dry Ice

Went last year, spent about $30 on ice. Does anyone know if dry ice is allowed on the camp grounds?
    Also, planning to arrive late Thursday night will they stop letting cars in at some point in the night?

Default Re: Dry Ice

Yes, dry ice is allowed.

Also, I suggest reading the FAQ and camping guide-Don't be that guy who doesn't know what he's doing..

directly from the coachella FAQ page

"Onsite camping opens Thursday, April 11, 2013, at 9:00am and closes on Monday, April 15, 2013 at noon. Early arrival is highly recommended. Cars can check in at 9am on Thursday until 2am, and starting at 9am FRI-Sun (until 11PM). 24 hours for pedestrians."

Dry ice will freeze everything in your ice chest.

Quote Originally Posted by PulpOne View Post
    This is a fact, I was going to mention that you shouldn't use dry ice unless you know what you are doing with it. Otherwise you can expect frozen beer and eggs all weekend long.

Thanks for the heads up... I had heard to put dry ice at the bottom to keep your ice itself cold, and then put your stuff on top of that..

Does "will freeze everything" still hold in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by Krellish View Post
    Thanks for the heads up... I had heard to put dry ice at the bottom to keep your ice itself cold, and then put your stuff on top of that..

Does "will freeze everything" still hold in that case?
    I wouldn't say it will freeze everything, but don't put your beer (or the beer you want to drink right away) on top of the dry ice. Wrap the dry ice in newspaper and just put what you don't want to use right away on top. Just choose wisely.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

create a layer stuff that you wouldn't mind freezing closest to the dry ice.. i.e. Popsicle, bottled water.. then add your other goodies. You tube has some good videos on this.

It will make your fruit taste very nitrous-y. Not bad for you but it doesn't taste great.

Thanks!

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moflo82 View Post
    create a layer stuff that you wouldn't mind freezing closest to the dry ice.. i.e. Popsicle, bottled water.. then add your other goodies. You tube has some good videos on this.
    in addition to this throw corrugated cardboard between the dry ice and your stuff. otherwise your stuff might end up frozed to the dry ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Mostly need it to have cold drinks. Will not be keeping them in the same cooler for extended periods of time.

Dry ice? That doesent even make sense. Ice Is water it's wet. Fucking dumb shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Dry ice? That doesent even make sense. Ice Is water it's wet. Fucking dumb shit.
    You sir, just made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    This better be a joke......

COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Quote Originally Posted by moflo82 View Post
    This is excellent advice. I put 10lbs of dry ice in the bottom of my cooler and then covered it and iced that over and my bottom layer of beer still froze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Can't be more bro than Gotye.

Best way to use dry ice is to have a separate large cooler that you just fill with bags of ice and then put dry ice blocks wrapped in tin foil on top. Open and close this as little as possible and you will have fresh ice all weekend as it melts off in your other cooler. Also a good place to store forzen meat, popsicles, ice cream, etc.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    Best way to use dry ice is to have a separate large cooler that you just fill with bags of ice and then put dry ice blocks wrapped in tin foil on top. Open and close this as little as possible and you will have fresh ice all weekend as it melts off in your other cooler. Also a good place to store forzen meat, popsicles, ice cream, etc.
    This is your best bet. Also, keep water bottles in the dry ice container, then once a water bottle is frozen transfer them to the regular food cooler and use as "ice" that won't end up getting all your food wet. Once the water bottle melts either cycle back into the dry ice or drink the icy cold water.

And to echo other comments, definitely don't put anything that isn't supposed to be frozen, esp fruit, in the dry ice cooler. Even if it is far away from the dry ice to not freeze, your food will definitely get "carbonated"

poop

Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    biggitybooya

How good of a cooler do you need in order to keep the dry ice frozen?

I have one similar to this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-30...Liner/16539568 (soft plastic/cloth insulation with a hard thin plastic liner inside) and was thinking of just packing it half full of dry ice several days before arriving (long drive), do you think the dry ice would keep for more than a day or two, or is the cooler too thin for dry ice?

Related, has anyone tried wrapping their cooler in blankets, etc? How much did that help?

This is what Im using for my dedicated Dry Ice / Ice cooler:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LIFOAM-45-...ooler/16537216