Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever actually been stopped because of a "professional" camera?

Default Anyone ever actually been stopped because of a "professional" camera?

used the search, didn't find anything.

my question isn't what constitutes a professional camera; but whether anyone has actually been stopped because they were attempting to bring one in and didn't have a photo/press pass.

i know "it depends on who checks your stuff", but again, i'm just asking more for anecdotes than monday morning quarterback opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Default Re: Anyone ever actually been stopped because of a "professional" camera?

Never happened to me before... but probably cause i don't have a professional camera.

Default Re: Anyone ever actually been stopped because of a "professional" camera?

It haven't been stopped at Coachella before, but I have been at other concerts.

Just play it cool. I throw mine in a bag and wrap it around a towel or bandana or whatever, and keep it at the bottom under water bottle / sunscreen / whatever. I figure the more packed my bag appears, the less likely my camera will be seen / the less likely security will be to want to rummage the bag. That typically works for me.

If you have a safe place to keep your camera nearby (i.e., a car), it's worth trying to sneaking in. Worst comes to worst, you can just take it back to your car and lock it up for the day.

You can only use disposables.

A professional camera has a removable lens. I've had security guards closely look at my unprofessional camera. Last year, the guy checked behind the lens cap for drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    It haven't been stopped at Coachella before, but I have been at other concerts.

Just play it cool. I throw mine in a bag and wrap it around a towel or bandana or whatever, and keep it at the bottom under water bottle / sunscreen / whatever. I figure the more packed my bag appears, the less likely my camera will be seen / the less likely security will be to want to rummage the bag. That typically works for me.

If you have a safe place to keep your camera nearby (i.e., a car), it's worth trying to sneaking in. Worst comes to worst, you can just take it back to your car and lock it up for the day.
    oh i've gotten far worse than a camera in by playing it cool. but yeah, i'll definitely be keeping that attitude of "if worst comes to worst". i'd just love to come home with some nice sharp pics of the festival.

Yes I have seen more than one person with a removable lens sent back.

It's up to u if its worth going back all the way back and waiting in line again
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    You can only use disposables.
    Do they even sell those anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    Do they even sell those anymore?
    yes they do.
    Everyones a Photographer.

Yes, and I bring one with me every year although the pictures rarely come out. I like the click and crank and the mystery of not knowing.

A friend of my got sent back to the car when he brought a SLR. Not digital, but since it used a "removeable lens" he was rejected.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Yes, and I bring one with me every year although the pictures rarely come out. I like the click and crank and the mystery of not knowing.
    There used to be such a skill in picture taking. Now you can immediately see your results and delete to save space if it isn't what you wanted. To edit your photos you would have to cut negatives back in the day. THAT was skill.

You mentioning them made me think about bringing disposable cameras for everyone in my group and collect them at the end of the weekend to upload them all through a photo scanner. Could end up being fun. Anyone done this?

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    A friend of my got sent back to the car when he brought a SLR. Not digital, but since it used a "removeable lens" he was rejected.
    i appreciate the emphatic use of bold.

YAY! I love not knowing how my pictures turned out. It makes it fun for when they are developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by gam3g3ni3 View Post
    There used to be such a skill in picture taking. Now you can immediately see your results and delete to save space if it isn't what you wanted. To edit your photos you would have to cut negatives back in the day. THAT was skill.

You mentioning them made me think about bringing disposable cameras for everyone in my group and collect them at the end of the weekend to upload them all through a photo scanner. Could end up being fun. Anyone done this?
    We did this last year and had some interesting effects from over exposure and cracks in the lens because of the cheap cameras we used. It was fun looking through them and being surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    Happened to me, too (with a Canon A-1), except I didn't have to walk too far to my tent to leave it there.

I had a friend who had to go back to the car because he got caught trying to bring in a D70.

Last year I saw someone with a professional camera at the gate from the campgrounds, luckily for him he was standing in line behind a person with a press pass, asked if he could put his camera in her bag and she got it through for him. Maybe make friends with someone with a press pass at the gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    i appreciate the emphatic use of bold.
    You're welcome, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

In 2010 on Sunday they banned all video cameras of any kind. I thought Maybe Gorillaz were going to do something legendary (Daft Punk style) but nope...
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

just out of curiosity, anyone know the rationale behind this? "welcome to our art and music festival! dont take any good fucking pictures!"

and i dont really mean of the bands either. your shots, no matter how good a camera, wont really be shit unless you get press passes. Never anything close to what you would need to either make profit off of or damage an artist's rep with or whatever they are worried about. im not even a photographer, but i enjoy well-shot images from around the festival in general.
    Last edited by Y0UNGBL00D; 03-31-2013 at 05:18 AM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    just out of curiosity, anyone know the rationale behind this? "welcome to our art and music festival! dont take any good fucking pictures!
    THIS! The most pertinent question asked thus far all year on these boards.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    just out of curiosity, anyone know the rationale behind this? "welcome to our art and music festival! dont take any good fucking pictures!"

and i dont really mean of the bands either. your shots, no matter how good a camera, wont really be shit unless you get press passes. Never anything close to what you would need to either make profit off of or damage an artist's rep with or whatever they are worried about. im not even a photographer, but i enjoy well-shot images from around the festival in general.
    It's just a matter of the major labels being fucking assholes. They can't tolerate anyone making any kind of profit indirectly off of one of their signed acts by selling a photo of fucking The Neighborhood or whoever. I can't imagine music festivals / venues ever care, but they're required to keep "professional" cameras out of area by the labels.

Here's something funny, though. I got some decent shots of Gorillaz at Coachella three years ago with my D5000 that I snuck in. I posted it to Flickr and, lo and behold, EMI posted a couple of my photos to one of their blogs. Which is totally cool with me, I post my photos under creative commons. But it definitely reeks of how they don't even care about their own rules if they have anything to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    It's just a matter of the major labels being fucking assholes. They can't tolerate anyone making any kind of profit indirectly off of one of their signed acts by selling a photo of fucking The Neighborhood or whoever. I can't imagine music festivals / venues ever care, but they're required to keep "professional" cameras out of area by the labels.

Here's something funny, though. I got some decent shots of Gorillaz at Coachella three years ago with my D5000 that I snuck in. I posted it to Flickr and, lo and behold, EMI posted a couple of my photos to one of their blogs. Which is totally cool with me, I post my photos under creative commons. But it definitely reeks of how they don't even care about their own rules if they have anything to gain.
    if the photo is good enough, someone will pay for it.

a girl took this photo with her iphone, slapped it through instagram, and the fucking thing was purchased for worldwide distribution.

having a "professional" camera is not a guarantee that your photos will look "professional" or that you're even a "professional photographer". i understand the reasoning behind the rule (greed, brand control, horseshit) but i think it's asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Mistro View Post
    Last year I saw someone with a professional camera at the gate from the campgrounds, luckily for him he was standing in line behind a person with a press pass, asked if he could put his camera in her bag and she got it through for him. Maybe make friends with someone with a press pass at the gate?
    this is not the worst idea.
    Last edited by Vic Viper; 04-01-2013 at 10:20 AM.

^
    That's a great post. I have taken some amazing pictures at Coachella with a P&S (Canon Elph 1600s), takes great videos also. I would LOVE to bring in my XHA1 or another camera with a 300M+ Zoom and a tripod, I could get some even better shots.

I got my XHA1 into EDC LV '11 via Press Pass friend, they just brought my camera in and gave it to me once I crossed through the line. It's just difficult to carry around a camera when you're also hanging out with friends.

If you do get a decent camera in there, fuck your friends, go try and get the shots. You're carrying all that weight around all day, you might as well get some pictures that could be used professionally if you're going to bring in a "pro" camera.

I've been getting my camcorder in since '07, but now I look at the video specs of my point & shoot digital camera I bought last fall and they're nearly identical to my HD camcorder I've been using since Coachella 2010... Same size sensor. P&S has better zoom. Camcorder has better focus/exposure control. So I'm debating whether to even bother with my camcorder.

I'm tempted to try getting my SLR in, but I think it might be too bulky to carry around for three days.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

One year I brought a dslr camera and was stopped the 2nd day. On the 3rd day I tossed it to my friend over the guys head while he was checking inside my camel back. Still surprised no one saw it lol.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

It all depends on the security guard. Even though I had a press pass, one guy didn't want to let me in with a couple DSLRs, so he had to flag someone else over. Last year on Sunday, the lady barely looked through my bag and didn't check my creds and let me in without questioning anything.

I like the towel idea. Definitely play it cool. Good luck.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    A professional camera has a removable lens.
    While I realize that this is GV's definition of a "professional" camera, only an idiot would agree. Even copying and pasting this sentence made me just a little stupider.

While a case could have been made that this was true 30 years ago, the idea that my Olympus EPL2 (with removable lens) is more "professional" than a Fuji X100 (non-removable lens) is fucking retarded.

GV's must have gotten their knowledge of cameras from the same place they got the idea that Phoenix is headliner material: straight from their assholes.

edit: I forgot to add, I've heard of people with superzoom compact cameras get turned back by retarded security guards. Like everything else at Coachella, if one guard turns you away, just go wait in the next line. They don't get paid for consistency.
    Last edited by xmichaelyx; 04-04-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Everyone I asked that had one last year was camping. The campers seemed to get everything in through security.