Thread: Joshua Tree

Smile Joshua Tree

Just wondering if anyone had camped out at Joshua Tree before? and if so -where is the best place to camp in the park? I'm really liking the looks of Hidden Valley, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or could steer me in a better direction. Thanks!

Default Re: Joshua Tree

Hidden Valley is the best, next best is Jumbo Rocks. Good luck man, its far from the festival... and wayyyy cold/windy up there. I'd recommend researching and trying to find somewhere a little closer and warmer than Joshua Tree.

I lived there for ten years, and while the camping is great, be forewarned that it would be a long drive to and from each day. It's 45 minutes-ish from Yucca Valley, and you can easily tack another 20-25 minutes onto that if you're coming from Hidden Valley, longer if you're camping in Jumbo Rocks. JTNP is not to be missed, but I'd make it a separate trip all its own. You'll be in for a LOOOOOOOONG day if you're driving back and forth to Indio.

I'm was thinking about hitting up Joshua Tree for a night or 2 before the festival. I just have never been there and wanted to check it out this year. I've heard so much about it, and the pics look nice. Us Canucks can take the cold weather! Appriciate the insight fellas - thanks!

Yea its definetly worth seeing.

Lurker

Yah jumbo rocks is a great site, but i mite suggest ryan over jumbo rocks, its much smaller, but id rather be at ryan than with 100 million people at jumbo rocks

Lurker

I'm camping at Black Rock Canyon? Should I cancel? Or are there gonna be a lot of other people.
    -J

what about cottonwood springs site? it seems the closest to indio?

in a cage, and other dark, tight quarters

Joshua Tree isn't all that cold in the spring...maybe gets down the 40's at the most. The thing is, you probably won't be able to find a spot unless you get there a day or 2 early because all the european rock climbers hog it up on the spring weekends. My boyfriend and I tried to stay there one year for coachella, and we could not find a spot in the entire park....we checked the whole thing...and he's a seasoned climber who knows that park well. It is gorgeous though- a must see if youre coming all the way from canada.