Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Official The Sopranos thread

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: Official The Sopranos thread

Chase himself suggested as much in an interview Tuesday with The Star-Ledger newspaper of New Jersey when he said of his end to the HBO series, "Anyone who wants to watch it, it's all there."
    smug cocksucker

That's bullshit that they didn't film alternate endings.Here's one that leaked(don't know how long it'll stay up,though...)
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Do you want to continue talking about Lizards?

The Six Feet Under ending:

Yeah, those are great. I tried watching an episode on A & E the other night, the one with Ralphie and the horse and it just wasn't the same. Editing sucks and they don't even let the song play through the credits which was one of the highlights of the show. On HBO, you could take a minute to draw it all in whilst listening to the Stones or John Lydon or opera or whatever. The final song always acted as punctuation to what you just watched too since it typically was related to whatever just happened. Anyway, the reruns suck without it.

All cable TV that shows commercials sucks.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I guess life does go on. Don't stop believing kids:

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    It's not a fuck you and it's not a rip off. The last episode is all about the audience. Wait for the analysis. This was well-played.
    OK, sorry to ressurect this thread, but I just finished watching all of the Sopranos last night and want to put my allegiance STRONGLY on the side of breakjaw, mob and Randy (and others) who thought the ending was brilliant (if I'm misrepresenting anyone's opinion let me know).

I don't see how that ending is a "fuck you" to the fans. And I'm sorry for all those people who think it's just laziness not giving a definitive conclusion, but the very nature of a serial drama (which, in my opinion is slowly proving to be one of the most powerful art forms) is that the future is unknowable and nothing really ends or begins.

Also, I don't know if you guys read this or not, but I found it a really impressive bit of analysis. He makes an interpretation that I don't necessarily believe, but the details within the scene that he points out are intriguing and, in my opinion, not all of them can be dismissed as either coincidence or overanalysis.

Anyway, I strongly recommend reading that article. The guy who writes it doesn't pretend that he knows Chase's intentions and he welcomes and admits other readings or the potential for mistakes. It's just a good bit of analysis of the final scene that I thought was just one of the best executed (no pun intended) finales I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Glad to see you on the side of righteousness and classy asses, Greg. I'll read that article now and we'll just see...
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

He never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

I always thought the design they chose for the back wall reflected that as well. Thank you for posting this.

I don't like thinking about Tony too much anymore. It makes me sort of sad. Tony Soprano is the only fictional character I ever really connected with like that as an adult, on like a really personal level, and I know that I wasn't the only one. I also knew that David Chase had only one way he could have ended this show, only one honest way, and so he did. Fade to black. The only way we were let off the hook is that we didn't have to actually see it. It would have just been too heartbreaking. This article is fairly spot on, even though he missed the part about ourosbourous as onion rings, but still, very well done. There has never been a show like this and it will take a long time for anyone to top it, I feel. Easily the most important piece of American art of the last quarter century. Nothing here was ever an accident, nothing ever a coincidence, everything carefully plotted top to bottom, from the first frame of the first episode to the very last. My good friend is watching them all for the first time right now and it is quite interesting to hear her reactions to things, what she picks up on as it all unfolds. Interesting to see her begin her own "Journey" with these characters and it feels really validating now to hear her describe the hope and the joy and the beauty and the sorrow of life, much of it inspired by what she has just viewed on screen. It's sort of glorious really. Anyway.

Here is a picture I took yesterday. Offering it now in memoriam. The beast in me is caged by frail and fragile bonds. Yours too, I would imagine. Long live Tony Soprano.

Last edited by mob roulette; 09-15-2007 at 02:44 PM.

The most important piece of art of the last quarter century is the Simpsons season 2-7.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Hey James - I'm kind of feeling that acutely now that I reached the end last night. I'm not sure I would completely agree with you about The Sopranos on all levels, but Tony Soprano is pretty much the most realized and fully dimensional character I've ever seen. This is why I say the serial drama is proving itself to have a more intense artistic effect (at least when it comes to character) than movies or fiction. Maybe that's heretical, but I don't remember ever feeling personally invested in characters to the degree that I have with Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood and The Wire which are pretty much four of the best pieces of video/movie work I've seen.

In fact, in terms of shows that have made extremely nuanced and accurate portrayals of American life (US) in general, the combination of The Wire, Deadwood, and Sopranos is pretty much the best I've seen. I strongly urge you, if you haven't, to explore Deadwood and The Wire.
    Last edited by Yablonowitz; 09-15-2007 at 02:07 PM.
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Disagree, Randy. Sort of. Comedic yes, dramatic no. No better piece of social satire than the earlier Simpsons, though South Park is getting damn close. No better piece of social commentary than The Sopranos though. And no better meditation on the state of the modern human condition. Stated.

I need to start The Wire soon. Deadwood is very, very good.
    Last edited by mob roulette; 09-15-2007 at 02:13 PM.

I have seen 3 episodes of the Sopranos (where Tony plays Dean Martin from a boat to piss of the guy who won't give him back his deposit, the whole seperation thing, etc). So I guess I can't really talk about the Sopranos with any authority. But I watched the ending and thought it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    Disagree, Randy. Sort of. Comedic yes, dramatic no. No better piece of social satire than the earlier Simpsons, though South Park is getting damn close. No better piece of social commentary than The Sopranos though. And no better meditation on the state of the modern human condition. Stated.

I need to start The Wire soon. Deadwood is very, very good.
    Bah! Satire is the highest form of social commentary. As far as "meditations on the state of the modern human condition" go, well, I'm an art *** and that sentence makes my asshole feel stretched. Please tone that down.

Also, your name is James? Not Mauve?

I miss everybody from the Sopranos. Sunday night is just not the same. I was trying to find a picture of Tippy right now.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

OK,I haven't ever seen Boston Public,admittedly.But this fucker keeps beating the best acting I've ever seen on TV.He even said (James Spader) "I feel like I'm stealing money from the mob..."
    If Denis Leary or Hugh Laurie had won,I'd say OK,Denis Leary was AMAZING on Rescue Me this year and Hugh Laurie is funny as hell,but this fuck?!The networks rigged it.

Yeah, that just wasn't right. I haven't seen Boston Legal either but I know Spader's performance couldn't touch Gandolfini's. Mainly because no one in TV ever has.

FUCK YOU EMMYS.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon