Thread: Most Unexpected/Surprisingly Good Act You've Seen

Default Most Unexpected/Surprisingly Good Act You've Seen

There are always bands that I go to see (especially early on in the afternoon) that I don't really know much about but in 2011 the best act I saw all weekend was the first act I saw (1:00 on Friday). That band was HURTS. They were the highlight of the weekend for me and I would have never known it had I not decided to check them out. What are some of your surprises over the years when it comes to outstanding performances you maybe weren't expecting?

Default Re: Most Unexpected/Surprisingly Good Act You've Seen

Other Lives - I had heard tamer animals and for 12 and loved them. They toured with both Bon Iver & Radiohead so I went to see what they were all about. I was blown away and now they are one of my favorite bands. Perfect way to start the weekend.

The Head and the Heart - I tried listening to them on record and was bored. My friend dragged me to this set and they were incredible. Very more up beat set than I expected. And the violinist belted out one note at the end that rivaled Florence.
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

Front row for Florence & the Machine 2010. This was before they blew up so I'd never heard them beyond a brief mention or 2 on NPR and they fucking slayed. I mean knocked it out of the fucking park, I've seen them 3 or 4 times since and for my money Coachella 2010 was the best performance of theirs I've seen.

Saw the Florence + the Machine set in 2010, and it was great, but not in my top 5 for that year:

Atoms for Peace
    Fever Ray
    Devo
    Girls
    Band of Skulls

Fever Ray was one of the best performances I've ever seen.
    Even though I look it, I'm not a cop.

Coachella 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.2
    SXSW 14
    Lalapalooza 94

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_Garrett View Post
    Other Lives - I had heard tamer animals and for 12 and loved them. They toured with both Bon Iver & Radiohead so I went to see what they were all about. I was blown away and now they are one of my favorite bands. Perfect way to start the weekend.

This. They happened to play the Mohawk in Austin the weekend I was visiting. They are scary good. Probably my favorite "find" of 12.

At Coachella 2010 I got dragged to both Phoenix and Vampire Weekend by the female types. I was incredibly reluctant to see them, but was blown away by both. I plan on seeing both again this year
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCthulhu View Post
    Saw the Florence + the Machine set in 2010, and it was great, but not in my top 5 for that year:

Atoms for Peace
    Fever Ray
    Devo
    Girls
    Band of Skulls

Unfortunately the only one of those I saw that year was Band of Skulls, and they were awesome but I had a better time at F+tM. Probably because I was front row for that and for BoS... not so much.

Frank Turner 2010-SO bummed now that I didn't memorize every song ahead of time and nab a front and center spot for that set. He was amazing and completely off my radar. My friend wanted to see him, so we chilled in the back. Since then, I've seen him in concert two other times-singing along front and center. I may have never found him, if it hadn't been for that set-so I'm thankful for that.

Band of Skulls killed it 2010 too. I loved that crowd!

Hot Chip in 2010. I think I was waiting for Pavement and with the gf who was waiting for MGMT. they were incredible live, so much better than on record. The same with The National. High Violet is a background music style record, but they were really dynamic live (I think 2011). They're like the anti-Interpol, who is one of my favorite bands but both times I've seen them including Coachella 2011 they've been mediocre to boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

BOMBA ESTEREO

Tripping so much acid. Walked right up and couldn't believe what i heard/saw. One of the best sets I've ever seen.

2001 - St. Germain - just unbelievable in the mid afternoon, my first time there, date palms behind the Outdoor Stage, everybody was swinging. It was perfect perfect.
    2002 - Tiesto - I thought djs were stupid at the time, what's the point, right? Took my head clean off and brought me in to EDM.
    2003 - Underworld - absolutely sweaty brilliant performance and I could not walk after it, Timo Maas - stupid, Polyphonic Spree - holy wow what just happened?
    2004 - Mindless Self Indulgence - too far away from Radiohead so after a couple of songs I stumbled upon this band. Never heard of them, punch in the face. Wonderful.
    2005 - Arcade Fire - What just happened there? Whole field took flight.
    2006 - Daft Punk - Whoa. I'm surprised nobody ever talks about that night - it was pretty good.
    2007 - Teddybears - ridiculous show, Rod y Gab - in tears the whole time, Girl Talk - what just happened?, MSTRKRFT - What the fuck?, Justice - WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
    2008 - LKJ - wonderful to see a hero close up, Datarock - way way way good, John Butler Trio early on mainstage - just brilliant, what a treat.
    2009 - Booker T and Drive By Truckers - crying again mid-afternoon, Gui Boratto - just dreamy, Leonard Cohen was almost as good as the Daft Punk experience, seriously.
    2010 - Florence & The Machine - whoa, whoa, WHOA, John Waters - elegantly sick and lovely to listen to, Band of Skulls - they were surprisingly amazing.
    2011 - Green Velvet - shutup, that was SUCH a party, Swell Season - I cry at shows way too much, they were great, !!! - afternoon madness.
    2012 - First Aid Kit - wowee, Azealia Banks - what a banging banging show I had to catch her both weekends.

Regrets:
    Walking away from CAKE on I think the Outdoor stage in 2002 because I thought they had a dumb name. They became one of my favorite bands two weeks later.
    Enduring the set by Audio Bullys at the Sahara leading up to Daft Punk in 2006. I wanted to go over to the Main to see some of Depeche Mode but feared I wouldn't return. Ick.
    Last edited by RickeyinLA; 03-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.

I cant cllaim Florence in 10 because I was already all over Lungs but unknowns that have really impressed over last five.

2008 - Grand Ole Party. Dee Dee from Dum Dun girls previous band. Phenomenal Singer.

2010 - The Love Language - fantastic. Walkmen like set.
    - Kate Miller-Heidke - had never heard Are You Fucking Kidding Me before this set...best laugh Ive ever had on polo grounds.
    - New Pants bizarro high energy Japanese Act

2011 - Black Joe Lewis - Sugarfoot destroyed that day.

2012 - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Hottest female lead Ive ever seen take stage at Coachella and performance of Love Me Kill Me was AWESOME.
    - First Aid Kit - possibly the most charming set Ive seen at Coachella
    - Death Grips - A friend put it best "An Agro thing of Beauty"
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 03-18-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCthulhu View Post

Atoms for Peace
    Fever Ray
    Devo
    Girls
    Band of Skulls

Seconded. That Fever Ray set was nothing short of amazing. I hadn't heard them/her before and had no clue what was in store. Completely blown away. AfP was also my number 1 for 2010 and maybe my favorite concert experience ever. Flo was pretty damn good too. Say what you will about the crowd size and the general clusterfuck that was 2010, but that lineup was killer (even taking into account the bands that were stranded in Europe due to the volcano (e.g., Frightened Rabbit).
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyinLA View Post
    2012 - First Aid Kit - wowee, Azealia Banks - what a banging banging show I had to catch her both weekends.
    First Aid Kit was indeed great last year, but I can't claim them as one of the big surprises since I had already watched some Youtube clips of them performing live so I expected it to be good before I got there.

MODESELEKTOR