Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Car Camping Really That Bad?

Default Re: Is Car Camping Really That Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by darthlaker View Post
    Coachella vet since 1999 and this will be my first time camping, is car camping really that bad? Are people really that loud they don't care if you sleep or not? I've heard some really bad reviews. I always pass the camp grounds as I enter and say to myself "this looks like it would be fun" but should i take this unpredictable plunge?
    who said camping was bad?

why does this myth of 'camping is horrible' persist despite the numerous stories every year of how great camping was and the fact that every year they've had to expand the campgrounds to accommodate more campers?

are people just assuming camping sucks because it lacks a starbucks and air conditioning?

camping is fine. bring earplugs and a sunny disposition; otherwise FUCK OFF.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Somehow I don't believe you're a Coachella vet if you've never even experienced any of the camp grounds.
    Thisss

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post

why does this myth of 'camping is horrible' persist despite the numerous stories every year of how great camping was and the fact that every year they've had to expand the campgrounds to accommodate more campers?

are people just assuming camping sucks because it lacks a starbucks and air conditioning?

Accommodate more cars*

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    HEY. I want to meet both you this year. Count me in.
    PS. Bringing lots of whiskey.
    Drew, yes, but you must be wearing your Radiohead shirt. I want a picture!!
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

To be honest, car camping isn't really camping at all. It's more like an extended tailgating party.

You can totally expect trap music to be your lullaby this year, last year was cheese house, before that was dubstep and before that everyone was still fresh on that Daft Punk'd shit.

To be honest, car camping isn't really camping at all. It's more like an extended tailgating party.
    Agreed. I am not much of an outdoorsy person, but I love car camping. The only advice I have to anyone trying it for the first time is to make sure you pack some sort of sleep aid and ear plugs. There are quite a few groups that like to party all night, having something to help sleep is a must. It also helps if you usually wake up early because you can get into the showers before all the lines start. If not you can wait until everyone else goes into the fest and get your showers in later.

You can totally expect trap music to be your lullaby this year, last year was cheese house, before that was dubstep and before that everyone was still fresh on that Daft Punk'd shit.
    Hahahah soooo true.... The trap will be better than hearing levels 48 times over the weekend.

You are stuck with the weather, which can be annoying unless you're well prepared. There can be long lines for the food and showers, depending on when you go. Some of the campsites are quite a hike from the entrance. You have no real control over your neighbors; sometimes they are loud or otherwise obnoxious. Some campsites are in high traffic areas and/or by the entertainment which can be convenient but can also be loud and obnoxious. It's often hot meaning you will have to bring and refill a cooler with ice to keep water/beer/food cold. Also you're sleeping on the ground.

But my camping groups have been fantastic, my neighbors haven't been a problem and I LOVE not having to worry about traffic or waiting for the rest of my condo/hotel-mates to be ready to get going in the morning. Same for after the festival; you don't have to meet up with anyone inside, meet up with folks where there are chairs and beer and sandwiches.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I think the sleeping in tents part keeps it in the range of what I'd call camping.

I mean it's not hiking (or canoeing) to the middle of nowhere with your gear on your back but that feels like a rather restrictive definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

this

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I think the sleeping in tents part keeps it in the range of what I'd call camping.

I mean it's not hiking (or canoeing) to the middle of nowhere with your gear on your back but that feels like a rather restrictive definition.
    if there is one tip i could give regarding car camping, it would be to leave your tent at home. just use a canopy and reflective tarps or something similar and you will be more than fine

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

Ya, its Camping lite. I've always enjoyed car camping. I've only used the shuttle once, to get more hooch.

also, try and bring some sort of cooling aid. the guys next to us last year had a campshower and a mister and it saved us

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Accommodate more cars*
    i don't think i've ever seen a single occupant car in the check-in lanes. it's definitely more people overall.

Tent campers wouldn't get put in the awful areas year after year if it weren't for car camping. Everyone would have access to the nice green spots. No? The campground expansion has had more to do with adjusting to the addition of cars, and trying to better accommodate more people each year. It has nothing to do with how good or bad car camping is, but more to do with its forced popularity. People are going to sell out camping every year regardless. Car camping seems like tail gate party meets "Keep those drug addled drunks off the streets" baby sitting tactics. Hauling all my gear to my spot was never a problem for me.

I wish they would go back to tent only camping....
    09-10-11-12-13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    ...you will usually hear House music at a HOUSE (thus the name), Drum and Bass can be played anywhere and requires both a DRUM and a BASS in the song to be apart of the DnB genre, where EDM music stands for European Digital Music and really doesn't need an explanation because everyone knows what that sounds like.
    "No, No, you're not thinking - You're just being Logical" - Neils Bohr

camping is one of my favorite parts about going to festivals!

Quote Originally Posted by fredbull View Post
    No thank you, I hated having to lug all the camping equipment and ice chests from the parking area. Then trying to remember where my car was parked 3 days later after no sleep and some substance abuse was never fun. I love that I can wake up at dawn, throw all my stuff in my car and drive away Monday morning.

Its hot and crowded, but in-and-outs make it more than worthwhile. refill your flask anytime you guys make a pit stop back to the campspot

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post

But there is a Starbucks...or something that bourgely resembles a Starbucks at the camping center.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    But there is a Starbucks...or something that bourgely resembles a Starbucks at the camping center.
    weird, i often see something resembling starbucks in the port-o-potties.

car camping may be rugged dirty and loud but isnt this a music festival?? i doubt people at woodstock were begging to leave so they could run to there hotel rooms and shower!! embrace the festival as it is an amazing experience were you may have to give up some novelties like a mattress and enjoy the people with and around you instead of waiting in line!

If one is not prepped for the heat, it can be pretty miserable. But short of that, it's a fuckin blast!
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Quote Originally Posted by darthlaker View Post
    Coachella vet since 1999 and this will be my first time camping, is car camping really that bad? Are people really that loud they don't care if you sleep or not? I've heard some really bad reviews. I always pass the camp grounds as I enter and say to myself "this looks like it would be fun" but should i take this unpredictable plunge?
    Your anus will hurt at first but you'll be happy that your uncle suggested camping

Quote Originally Posted by fredbull View Post
    Car camping is honestly the worst part about Coachella entirely. It has nothing to do with the actual festival. I'm completely satisfied with my festival experience, to say the least. My camping experience has been tolerable, but 09 was real dreamy with the whole tent city thing going on. Sort of nervous to try car camping this year, actually.

I can't camp, I'm a fucking pussy
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

what would be your list of prep/pack items? First timer, thanks :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vickimints View Post
    For sure, have a canopy over your tents. Otherwise you'll broil in your tent in the daytime.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

I never had trouble falling asleep with car camping. Usually, after being out all day under the sun and having a blast is enough, and I'm a pretty light sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickimints View Post
    First off- this is my first time in 5 years going and not camping. a little sad about it.

My must haves (aside from the obvious tent/canopy/food etc..):
    -BRING A CANOPY. i made the mistake of not doing this my first year camping. It makes an unbelievable difference. walmart has the cheapest ones. so worth it.
    - gatorade powder
    - baby wipes for when you cant be bothered with the shower line
    - ear plugs
    - sleeping mask
    - I usually buy a little spray bottle at Target then just fill it with water and spritz people/myself all morning before we head in. you could prob bring it into the fest too if it's empty but i've never tried
    - glow bracelets are always a big hit with my friends/randoms. I like to buy a lot of cheap ones to hand out. makes people smile! (drugs are bad k?)
    - solar powered phone charger saved my ass last year as well

hope this helps! have fun!