Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213

Thread: Treasure Island Music Festival 2013

Default Re: Treasure Island Music Festival 2013

Saturday GA tickets are sold out!

the time slot allotted to Disclosure was a very poor choice
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Heads up for those planning on taking BART to Civic Center, then taking the shuttle to the festival, BART workers are going on strike at midnight. So taking BART to Civic Center may not be an option come the weekend.

Probably going to end up at Public Works tonight, see y'all there!
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo & Traxman @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Who's ready for Disclosure today?!?!
    7/30- Arcade Fire, Shoreline
    8/10- The Killers, OSL
    8/11- NoNoNo, GAMH
    8/14- Paul McCartney, Candlestick
    8/15- Excision, The Armory
    8/17- Paramore- Concord Pavilion
    8/22- Jack White- Bill Graham
    8/22- Jamie XX, 1015
    8/23- First City Festival, Monterey
    8/24- NIN, Shoreline
    8/30- Offspring, Shoreline
    9/16- Drake, Shoreline
    9/20 & 21- Beyond Wonderland
    9/22 & 23- Katy Perry, SAP Center

Do you guys know the approximate time it takes to get inside the festival if you take the shuttle from Bill Graham? If we want to be inside by say 3 is it safe to get to the shuttles at 2? Thanks in advance.

So I just got a free ticket to run around the fest in a giant santa suit. see you there!

DISCLOSURE!!!
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neverlookback View Post
    Do you guys know the approximate time it takes to get inside the festival if you take the shuttle from Bill Graham? If we want to be inside by say 3 is it safe to get to the shuttles at 2? Thanks in advance.
    I am estimating a little under an hour, including lines at civic center and at the festival entrance. Probably closer to 45 mins really, but allowing more to be safe. The lines for the shuttle usually move pretty quick.

Disclosure were AMAZING!!!! Big ol dance party in the front.
    8/10- The Killers, OSL
    8/11- NoNoNo, GAMH
    8/22- Jamie XX, 1015
    8/24- NIN, Shoreline
    9/16- Drake, Shoreline

Hope everyone had fun yesterday. If anyone is heading back to (West) Oakland tonite, I'm looking to bum a ride please. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCastlesFreak View Post
    Disclosure were AMAZING!!!! Big ol dance party in the front.
    hell yeah Disclosure fucking killed it as always.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

How was the fest? How was Beck?
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

For what you pay, I think this is a really good budget fest. I paid $150 after fees for a 2-day and would have easily paid that much just for yesterday's acts.
    Security was lax, and the shuttle was never an issue as well. Surprisingly efficient.
    Crowd on the second day was better. (*Better in the sense that there were more adults and less underaged girls getting wasted for the first time.) I think Major Lazer and Disclosure drew a lot of that crowd, and the second day was just music.

First day standouts for me would have to be Phantogram, Girrafage (Yuma set please), Disclosure, and AfP. Danny Brown was also good.
    I was an ok fan of both Phantogram and Afp, pedestrian at best really, but came away loving both.

Yesterday was phenomenal, if only for James freaking Blake. I didn't think he could replicate the feeling I had at his set at Coachella this year, but possibly topped that last night. There was a point when he started singing this ballad (don't know name of song, before Limit to Your Love, need help with this btw) and the fog was just rolling in behind him with the sun going down. Everybody around me who had never heard of any of his stuff remarked how amazing of a set it was.
    I was at the rail for Haim, and was really impressed. Those Valley girls, sure know how to slay and shred. They're really also quite likable on top of their musicality.

I'd definitely go again, but with warmer clothing next year.

Also, still need help finding a James Blake setlist. Need to know that song he performed before Limit to Your Love. HELP.

I've only gone three times, but it seems like Saturday is "always" like that, in the sense, that they stack more electronic/EDM oriented acts on that day and attract a younger crowd, perhaps one that is as much interested in going to (any) festival and getting fucked up, as they are interested in the actual acts.

Haim are fucking awful. Their cover of "Oh Well" was just embarrassing. They were actually worse than I imagined they would be. Vomit.

James Blake was his usual...style, grace and bass.

EDIT: I had to leave midway through, but Beck's setlist was a good one (he had some energy Thetans going thankfully). I think he played 1-2 new jams towards the first half that were interesting enough to pique my curiousity for his new album. I was surprised how minimal his stage production ended up being.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 10-21-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Animal Collective played a great set list, only 2-3 songs from the new album and holy shit Purple Bottle was outstanding. What would I want sky, peacebone, and brothersport were reeeeeeal nice.

And HAIM was pretty much garbage. Not even nearly at the funk level I expected, and really not talented enough of a group to make those songs so guitar heavy imo.
    Last edited by cansei de ser sexme; 10-21-2013 at 09:21 AM.

I hope some of you saw STRFKR

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    I hope some of you saw STRFKR
    I'm so sad they weren't on Saturday's lineup (well, and that I couldn't make Sunday).

Despite that, Saturday was pretty fantastic for me. I hadn't been to TI Fest since 2008, and forgot how stunning it becomes during that transition from sunset to sundown. Highlights for me were:

Disclosure (just a full on dance party, and I liked their trippy face cube thing)
    Major Lazer (another full on dance party!)
    Phantogram (I experienced full on chills, unrelated to the weather, from how fantastic this was. There was this awesome moment when the light-up jellyfish brigade came weaving through the crowd, and the songs and lights and good vibes from my friends just all came together in one nugget of perfection.)

AFP, I (sadly) couldn't get into at all. I wanted to love them, but I just wasn't feeling the mood, especially after the Phantogram set.

Other highlights:
    Silent Disco was actually really fun, spontaneous robot dance party while waiting for my friend to go to the bathroom, frozen custard with condensed milk, and gathering around the lotus fire pit after sunset.
    "If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long." -The Libertines

Another great year. All in all, this was my favorite year since LCD.

Robert Delong - better than expected. He looked to be having a blast up there
    Poolside - Good tunes to hang out to, but usually i put this record on when I'm cleaning around the house.
    Disclosure - Had a blast. Enjoyed it more than their Coachella and Glasto sets. But I attribute that more to not being tired like i was on sunday of coachella.
    Holy Ghost - So awesome. Late night Mohave por favor
    AfP - Blew away the one and only Radiohead show I've seen (Coachella 12)

It also seemed like the crowd was less chatty than usual. If I ever have to chose between OSL and TIMF, I'm headed to the island.

Sunday's crowd was infinitely better than Saturday's (and way emptier, it was so much easier to get around, no lines, etc), although I think I enjoyed Saturday more. Holy Ghost! needs a nighttime Mojave slot after that performance. They sounded great. Sunday was freezing cold. James Blake sounded great, Japandroids were having fun, Haim sounds absolutely awful live (huge disappointment for me).

Left early both days...my girlfriend got devastating news via text on Day 1, and we left during Little Dragon. Day 2 my buddy had his entire bag stolen and spent most of the late portion of the night looking for it. So overall the festival did not end great on either day, but I continue to think it's a well run and well curated little festival, and don't share the hate that it gets on this board (although Saturday crowd can be young and frustrating). I actually encountered more douchey "run for the front" pushing on Sunday, especially during Japandroids.

I need to wear 4 jackets next year, it was brutal Saturday night. I loved my 1st Silent Disco experience
    8/10- The Killers, OSL
    8/11- NoNoNo, GAMH
    8/22- Jamie XX, 1015
    8/24- NIN, Shoreline
    9/16- Drake, Shoreline

Had a blast. AFP, Phantogram, Holy Ghost, James Blake, Disclosure, Sleigh Bells (who i've never really given a chance) were amazing.

I went in SUPER excited for HAIM and was surprised how much they sucked. I was right next to the sound board, and I just couldn't believe the lack of quality in their performance. Their sound man was shitty and they need someone to sit them down and teach them how to play a show. Flash in the pan pop band unfortunately.

Oh yeah and people in SF need to learn to pick up their fucking trash. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsisland View Post
    Oh yeah and people in SF need to learn to pick up their fucking trash. What a joke.
    Yeah, that was definitely a bummer. There were more than enough trash cans situated throughout the fest to make it easy.

First TI and I had a blast. But damn it was cold. I was happy with the set up and organization. The stages were definitely loud and there was plenty of space to get a good spot.

I thought Disclosure were much better than what I had seen from the interwebs. Danny Brown was a hoot and I'm glad he took over Tricky's spot. Beck played the best show I had seen of his and really enjoyed how he brought in the Tainted Love, Donna Summer, and Billie Jean covers. It was a great way to end the festival. I wanted more from AC as I felt their set was super short and I really like the new album so I guess I was hoping for more new songs. Sleigh Bells and Phantogram rocked out which was needed at the time.

I was happy to say that the crowd was pretty civilized and not too much sloppiness was seen by our group which was surprising considering it looked like there were a lot of fucked up people. There were definitely less talkers than at OSL which I was very happy about. Overall, I really enjoyed my TI experience but should bring gloves next time.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Thom's banter was funny. "This is my first time playing a show where it feels like we are out at sea."

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    Thom's banter was funny. "This is my first time playing a show where it feels like we are out at sea."
    Followed with something like "I don't plan on repeating it".

Quote Originally Posted by johnsisland View Post
    Yeah, it was fucking embarrassing at Outside Lands.

Quote Originally Posted by harryoliver View Post
    Yeah, it was fucking embarrassing at Outside Lands.
    Whats weird about it is that people are clean at Hardly Strictly and they pick up their own stuff. It must be the youths.