Thread: Regina Spektor

Default Re: Regina Spektor

She kind of sounds like a seal.
    Last edited by microcuts; 01-26-2007 at 04:50 PM.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Default Regina Spektor

I just listened to her album, and I gotta say, I was not impressed. I remember her back when she was getting huge on Myspace, all her songs were weird and fun... nothing at all like the mainstream Lilith Fair garbage she's singing now that she's popular. So am I missing something? Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I just listened to her album, and I gotta say, I was not impressed. I remember her back when she was getting huge on Myspace, all her songs were weird and fun... nothing at all like the mainstream Lilith Fair garbage she's singing now that she's popular. So am I missing something? Or not?
    your not, her new album was more mainstream pop as opposed to the quirky stuff on her other albums.

Shes an excellent writer. She can do weird impressive stuff with her voice. Back in 2004 when I seen her with the strokes, I thought she had a song about a lesbian love interest (wishful thininking) and could sorta see up her skirt. Also, she only had a piano and instead of having something modern like a drum machine she would hit her um keyboard case with a stick.... and play piano... AT THE SAME TIME.

All in all, I think she is pretty impressive. Though I am sick of the single song.

her lyrics on her new cd are still far out there. Even with the popish sound, i think its quite a stretch to call it a mainstream pop record.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post
    her lyrics on her new cd are still far out there. Even with the popish sound, i think its quite a stretch to call it a mainstream pop record.
    I see what you mean by that.

True that her new album is not quite up to par...not bad but not like her earlier stuff. It's where I first heard her and became mildly interested. Then I started back at her earlier works and moved up and was much more impressed. She shows she has great control over her voice (ala "Back of a Truck") yet can use her voice as an instrument as she wishes ("vomiting" on the mic as i've read someone say, and yet doing it with creativity and charm in her odd/fun story telling), then instantly switching back to control (even though she never lost it) ala "Music Box". I've seen her live this past year and her voice is just as good as you'd hope. If you're not into the genre then yes, you may find it boring, but she's certainly on my "to see" list

[QUOTE=McFearless;17804]I thought she had a song about a lesbian love interest (wishful thininking) and could sorta see up her skirt.QUOTE]

Haha... sweet.

Muse sucks.

i rather see her than Lilly Allen...blah
    "I am just a watery Tart with a sword in her hand."

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETSHIVERBURN View Post
    i rather see her than Lilly Allen...blah
    Yeah Definetely. haha

Regina Spektor is definetely gonna be one of the weekend's highlights.

Regina is incredible... I HATE anyone who immediately dismisses her because she changed her sound to be a little more accesible. Artists grow, we need to accept that.

I don't know how you can hear Samson and not be in love.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by deersarethenewwolves View Post
    Regina is incredible... I HATE anyone who immediately dismisses her because she changed her sound to be a little more accesible. Artists grow, we need to accept that.
    Artists can also make bad music. I didn't immediately dismiss her album, I gave it a good listen. It's okay, but faaaar from "incredible."

Oh well, I guess I'll just check out other artists for her set

I heard a live concernt on NPR and she reminded me of Nellie McKay (I don't know who came first, but I heard Nellie first, so...yeah). I liked it. I haven't heard the album, though.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

well regina was the nail that sealed the coffin for me on deciding to come to coachella. I really need to check Soviet Kitsh out but her voice is magnificent and her piano skills ar really good. I just wanna see her live act to see how really talented she can be.