Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Be The Change You Want To See In Your Festival

whiney pain in butt

Default Re: Be The Change You Want To See In Your Festival

A douche a day keeps the doctor away.

whiney pain in butt

we use to have it all algunz, i was going to braid your lesbian hair. what happen sister? life got you down.... "SFTELK" like all the times, sinsi de locua

Life has got me going in every direction I wasn't prepared for, but you were the last person on my list to care about. Nation, maybe we had our moments, but you're proving my previous mindset truly delusional.

whiney pain in butt

i suppose. i'm mostly bored, but i understand.

we'll always have choir practice.

~nation

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Anyone who attends university for more than five years is stupid, yes. I don't see what any of this has to do with Mr. Stewart though.
    I don't think I even need to write a comeback.
    Yes. Professors are stupid. All of them.
    Troll moar, bruv.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    "Your undergarments have a a tinyurl link to your board posts and it stops sexual partners dead in their passionate pursuit once they see you've made a mean-spirited jab"
    You may as well go commando then, Cara. And, with much respect, I have no doubt that your undergarments, with their mean-spirited jabs mixed in with that shit-stained attitude of yours, would probably net you a lot of coin on the internet.

Bev, you're the only bitch here with the coconuts big enough to insult me. And while I never have any clue about what the fuck you're saying, I love you for it.

4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Louigi, Mario and .... hey why the hell is Zafocane standing in the trash can?
    You filthy racist... I am white with blue eyes though, and I know us white blue eyed folks just ALL LOOK THE FUCKING SAME, DON'T WE KEVIN POLLAK?!

Hey look... it's you, with hair.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    I don't think I even need to write a comeback.
    Yes. Professors are stupid. All of them.
    Troll moar, bruv.
    It's honestly not trolling. If you're a professor at a top-tier school maybe you're worth half a shit, but for the most part the old axiom about those who can't teach is pretty accurate. Being a college professor seems like a great gig but it's also kind of a ditch job. You're giving up on really doing anything personally important and resigning whatever talents or brilliance you had to repetitive bullshit.

If they were so fucking smart they'd be too busy actually making shit to teach shit. The problem with sociology and similar disciplines is that there's nothing you can actually make with it. Nobody cares. It has no end product. You can write books nobody is going to read about shit nobody cares about I guess if you want to call that a life, but anyone who finds themselves somehow satisfied by an existence that is validated only by academia is inherently a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

you're giving up on really doing anything personally important and resigning whatever talents or brilliance you had to repetitive bullshit.
    BUT WHAT IF THAT IS THEIR TALENT

Then they should be teaching a class in Spewing Repetitive Bullshit.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Then they should be teaching a class in Spewing Repetitive Bullshit.
    All classes, in essence, are classes in Spewing Repetitive Bullshit. The first couple years of college are basically classes designed to put a name to thoughts you already have, and reinforce the bullshit we already know. Understanding is impossible to teach, making higher education highly hit or miss. Joe is good at A, but decides he wants B as a career. He takes the correct courses, and goes on to career B, putting A on the backburners as a hobby he'll pick up when he has the time and money to do so. B is a dead end career, like all careers, and all of Joe's talents have been wasted on an unsatisfying life.

College is a breeding grounds for mediocrity. People throw it around like it has weight, but they're basically just slinging shit. If you devote your life to what you love, your life will be too full to harbor regret. Is it any surprise that depression is so high in 2013? No one does what they like anymore. Hell, half of you don't even know what you like. To truly become is nearly impossible. I'll end it there, as I know you'd all rather continue slaving. Just ask yourself who created poverty, and who is now enforcing it. No one likes being poor, but we all live in a system designed to keep us poor. Sounds like good times all around.

The problem with sociology and similar disciplines is that there's nothing you can actually make with it. Nobody cares. It has no end product. You can write books nobody is going to read about shit nobody cares about I guess if you want to call that a life, but anyone who finds themselves somehow satisfied by an existence that is validated only by academia is inherently a failure.
    Things that sociologists make:

-Health care and epidemiological statistics
    -Statistics on the effectiveness of public programs
    -Statistics on crime and other social problems
    -Actual data on institutional challenges, like how soldiers talk about Don't Ask, Don't Tell (which was used in recent legislation), the role of patients in disease activism (thanks Steve Epstein for your work on AIDS which has been used by public health organizations worldwide)
    -Actual data on controversial issues like abortion, the impact of drug laws, the impact of Three Strikes laws, the impact of globalization on developing countries, the list goes on.
    -Concepts that get used in daily conversation: "Framing" concepts or situations (thanks, Goffman). The idea that gender/science/knowledge is socially constructed (thanks, symbolic interactionists, critical gender studies, Thomas Khun's 'The Structure of Scientific Revolutions' aka the most cited scholarly work ever (he was arguably a historian but was thinking sociologically). The concept of a "Bureaucracy" (thanks, Weber). Critiques of capitalism, the pharmaceutical industry, etc. Everyone has these "common sense" opinions, but sociologists either theorized them long before they were common knowledge, or have gotten actual data on them.

Teaching is a small part of the job. Believe it or not, people do actually have to MAKE knowledge. It wasn't just placed on the internet by God.

Also: let's keep in mind that your original comment stated that all sociologists are retards, or something equally witty.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:

"the most cited scholarly work ever." Well, that's just a ridiculous fucking claim. Ridiculous.

If they were so fucking smart they'd be too busy actually making shit to teach shit.
    As I note above, you're wrong.

But.

Since when is the production of things ("making shit") the measure of someone's worth or a measure of their success as a person? Of course: many people have to "make shit" in order for this world to go on. But are you seriously so propelled by mechanisms of production, capital, and market value that you can't see the value in anything else? That you need to act like a child when someone makes a living doing something outside of the realm of production?

You jealous of anyone who makes a living by doing something that doesn't involve making stuff?

Bummer, bebe

Could you at least cite your source about Kuhn being the most cited scholarly source?

Could you at least cite your source about Kuhn being the most cited scholarly source?
    Publishing metrics are hard to come by/contentious, but here's a source saying it's "one of the most cited," although I've read the claim of it being the most cited a few times. Sorry I don't have that shit on tap.

"Thomas Samuel Kuhn (1922–1996) is one of the most influential philosophers of science of the twentieth century, perhaps the most influential. His 1962 book The Structure of Scientific Revolutions is one of the most cited academic books of all time. Kuhn's contribution to the philosophy of science marked not only a break with several key positivist doctrines, but also inaugurated a new style of philosophy of science that brought it closer to the history of science."
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thomas-kuhn/ (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

But again: this drags it back into the silly idea that production = worth.

11,508. Lance Armstrong's production speaks for itself.

Yes, I'm sure that that book no one's ever heard of written by someone known only is sociological circles is cited more than Darwin. That sounds likely. Or are we only interpreting "scholarly" to read "absolutely pointless bullshit that people who contribute nothing but bullshit to society talk about?"

I read Kuhn in both political science and philosophy classes as an undergrad. I can see it being "most cited" or whatever, it's all over the social sciences literature.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Yeah, I mean I'm sure he's more prolific than Descartes. Except nobody's ever fucking heard of him except you losers.

Would either one of you care to explain in a concise fashion exactly what this legendary paper is about?

It's not that the dude's insights were more important than Descartes, etc., it's that he developed a model about the nature of scientific theories and paradigms that was easily adapted to the social sciences at pretty much the exact point that the social science academy began an earnest attempt to treat itself in a formalized "scientific" way.

Oh, so he INVENTED bullshit. Well that is important.

Yes, even being charitable about this, it is a bunch of bullshit about the nature of theories and the philosophy of science.

Kuhn proposed the concept of a "paradigm shift." Again: an insight that became so popular it's now a cliché.
    Rather than science progressing slowly and gradually, Kuhn proposed that science actually follows a series of revolutions. After a revolution, you can't use the language of old science to explain shit anymore. After germ theory was accepted, for example, you couldn't successfully argue that diseases were caused by "miasmas" or whatever.
    It seems common sense now, but Kuhn (arguably) changed the way we think about and design scientific research.

I know that you're an anti-intellectual and everything, but intellectuals designed the Internet we're on, and came up with most of the shit we now take for granted.

Oh, never mind. I'm talking to the guy who said "all science is hogwash" in a thread about medical problems. I should have read this moron's post history before I tried to toss pearls before Nelson Muntz over here.

Also: who the fuck says "hogwash"? Just *typing* it I feel old, white and racist..

Are you young and white?

I was kidding about the citation. My entire academic career was built upon never citing things and writing lengthy end of paper explanations for lack of citations.

I was kidding about the citation. My entire academic career was built upon never citing things and writing lengthy end of paper explanations for lack of citations.
    : )

You can say whatever you want. I see what you write in the "tell us about 2013 releases" thread. You're a keeper.