Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Sahara Tent 2007

Red face The Sahara Tent 2007

I've seen a lot of posts about the Sahara Tent being weak this year. I disagree. I would question that a majority of the people that are disappointed have probably never seen these bands.

I won't list all, but I will focus on why this year will be just as important as years past.

DJ Shadow - Awesome. Get ready for Rabbit in Your Headlights by Thom Yorke. He and James Lavelle are the reason this track exists.

Felix Da Housecat - Awesome.

Tiesto - Best DJ in the world isn't enough?

Paul van Dyk - One of the reasons Trance still exists. He will blow you away.

MSTRKFT - Awesome. Should be interesting in the tent.

Richie Hawtin - Canada's best DJ...arguments anyone?

Infected Mushroom - Unless you don't like Psytrance, these guys alone would make it worth the trip. I only hope they don't come on at the same time as Rage. That would be a sin.

Please don't tell me I'm alone!!!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Default Re: The Sahara Tent 2007

Quote Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post

i've seen all these guys and i respectfully disagree. it takes more than being famours or a so cal regular to play coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

DJ Shadow - Awesome. Get ready for Rabbit in Your Headlights by Thom Yorke. He and James Lavelle are the reason this track exists.
    i 100% guarantee that he will not play that track.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Did you see Paul van Dyk's set back in 2004? It was awesome. It was funny how Ferry Corsten played into his set a bit...heh-heh. These guys aren't going to be playing the club sets they play in cities...these will be good sets.

How can none of you mention Infected Mushroom. If you're going to talk about globally accepted and "raved about" techno groups, they are just as big as anyone on this list save PvD and Tiesto.

I've heard a lot of people mention Underworld. If you're going to ask for bands that will never play at Coachella this year, you could mention a lot of bands.

Darren Emerson has stated he will NOT play with Underworld anymore so they aren't worth seeing even if they did come out.

In reference to "Rabbit in Your Headlights" -- he did in Austin, TX/ Los Angeles, CA/ and South Beach, FL...

Those were 1.5 hour+ sets though, so you may be right.

Banned

COACHELLA 2007 SUCKS ASS... I'm sorry to say this, but it the lineup is the worst ever. Nothing exciting (except for RATM). RHCP?... come on.. they headlined a couple of years back, and they sucked back then.

And the Sahara tent will be empty of real fans. All you will see there are a bunch of f'd up kids that don't know the diference between a good house song and a crapy trance track.

I like DJ Shadow on CD. His live show is not necessarily of the same caliber, and I don't know how well it would fit in the Sahara tent.

He had a good set at Coachella a few years ago. Every time I've seen him since he's sucked.

I really don't think Tiesto's the best DJ in the world, whatever various magazines or what-have-you say, and even if he was the best DJ in the world, he's totally overexposed. He spins here like every month. Bored of him.

Paul van Dyk - One of the reasons Trance still exists.
    That's not necessarily a good thing. I'm so sick of 99% of trance. I wish someone would just put a bullet in the damn trance scene.

He will blow you away.
    I've seen him multiple times. Bores me silly every time.

I am looking forward to MSTRKRFT.

Don't know his work all that well.

Infected Mushroom - Unless you don't like Psytrance, these guys alone would make it worth the trip.
    I like Infected Mushroom quite a bit actually, but no, they would not be enough to get me to shell out the big bucks for Coachella tickets.

I only hope they don't come on at the same time as Rage. That would be a sin.
    I really hope someone I love is playing opposite Rage. That way I can see them without all the damn Rage fans that are going to be polluting the polo grounds on Sunday.

I've heard a lot of people mention Underworld. If you're going to ask for bands that will never play at Coachella this year, you could mention a lot of bands.

Darren Emerson has stated he will NOT play with Underworld anymore so they aren't worth seeing even if they did come out.
    I don't know. I saw post-Emerson Underworld at Coachella a few years ago, and it was pretty solid. It was better than Emerson's solo set the day before.
    Last edited by dizfactor; 01-23-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    All you will see there are a bunch of f'd up kids that don't know the diference between a good house song and a crapy trance track.
    is there a difference?

I couldn't help it

I still would love it if Royksopp was added.

i've only seen video of infected mushroom, and i am excited about them. i liked what they were putting out there i guess. i heard bad things about their EDC set though, so hopefully this year will be better.

and perhaps if PVD and tiesto bring something different than their normal club set, i will be impressed. it will take a lot though. i mean hell, oakenfold impressed me last year, so i guess anything's possible!

also, i saw hawtin at nocturnal in 2005 and was really impressed, that should be insane
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 01-23-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: hawtin

I don't know. I saw post-Emerson Underworld at Coachella a few years ago, and it was pretty solid. It was better than Emerson's solo set the day before.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with that statement, Emerson solo isn't nearly as good as Underworld.

All I'm saying is that if you like the Beaucoups Fish album thank Emerson, because he's 90% of the reason that album was so successful.

I'll never complain about people wanting more, I'm just saying this will be a good show.

2004 was my favorite year in the tent so far. 2005 wasn't too shabby either. Junkie XL followed by Armin van Buuren was pure bliss. Anyone remember that?

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i mean hell, oakenfold impressed me last year, so i guess anything's possible!
    That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Oakie in clubs these days = ZzzZzzZzz, but at Coachella last year, was great.

Carl Cox and Daft Punk stole the show last year. I think Daft Punk might have been one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

2004 was my favorite year in the tent so far. 2005 wasn't too shabby either. Junkie XL followed by Armin van Buuren was pure bliss. Anyone remember that?
    I saw parts of both sets, but there were so many better sets in the Sahara than those two that year. Tiga, UNKLE, Miss Kittin, Ben Watt... Swayzak was that year too, right? All so much better than JXL or AVB. Hell, I had more fun at Roni Size.

In any case, even the best Sahara tent sets that year paled in comparison to the best sets elsewhere - DJ Krush, M.I.A., and Matmos. Holy crap were those good sets...

UNKLE is one of my favorite groups. DJ Krush was at SXSW last year (I'm in Austin, TX) and as always it was awesome. Agreed on the music. AVB + JXL was tighhhttt though (except for the 24 theme remixed) -- I hate 24.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    I 200% guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    That's not necessarily a good thing. I'm so sick of 99% of trance. I wish someone would just put a bullet in the damn trance scene.
    agreed!! death to trance

I think the original poster is from the past.

Darren Emerson won't be playing with Underworld likely ever. But they have a new guy who played warm-up for them, Darren Price, and he's made a nice contribution to the group.

Tiesto is the world's most popular DJ, I guess...but if this is a popularity concert where is Shakira and Justin Timberlake and whoever else is being whored out to make a buck on Billboard. I don't see how a Tiesto set can be that valued, especially given it looks like he's getting the headlining (or otherwise, prime) spot.

PvD was fun years ago but I have no idea what he's up to now. If anything, I hope he plays stuff he plays when he's back home and not the floating-on-the-clouds fairy stuff he plays when he's out here.

I do agree with that statement, Emerson solo isn't nearly as good as Underworld.

All I'm saying is that if you like the Beaucoups Fish album thank Emerson, because he's 90% of the reason that album was so successful.
    hahahahahAHHAHAHAHAhahAHhAHhhHAhAhahahHAhahHAHAHHA A

put down the pipe and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by cured View Post
    I think the original poster is from the past.
    Agreed, and the problem with the electronic music scene in southern California is that it's trapped in the past with him.

Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    Agreed, and the problem with the electronic music scene in southern California is that it's trapped in the past with him.
    To a degree...but this lineup is pretty damn good:

erol alkan
    richie hawtin
    pvd
    evil nine
    soulwax (do not miss their show)
    lcd soundsystem (see above)
    justice
    digitalism
    air
    dj shadow

living in NYC, i've seen all these acts and most will blow you away.

Quote Originally Posted by cured View Post
    PvD was fun years ago but I have no idea what he's up to now. If anything, I hope he plays stuff he plays when he's back home and not the floating-on-the-clouds fairy stuff he plays when he's out here.
    I just saw him play here in Denver 3 months ago, and it was good. Headliner at Coachella the year after Daft Punk good? Nope, not even close. I think PvD is a great addition to any festival, but not a headliner, sorry...

Junkie was hellaciously fun. I can't remember why but I think I missed Armin. Probably tried to secure a good spot for NIN.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

The electronica line-up isn't totally weak; but it definitely could be better. There are a few good electronica acts scattered through out all three days, but nothing too solid - at least as a WHOLE. Now if all the good electronica acts were grouped into 1 day, than it would definitely make for a more consistent Sahara tent.

I think everyone who is sincerely complaining is looking for somebody really big like Daft Punk. Or Underworld, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, that sort of thing. Yes, there are a lot of smaller acts this year or even semi-big acts that won't make you say WOW like the performances in the past. But there is STILL going to be some great music that you probably don't get to see all the time. Or that you've never seen. Or that you've never even heard of - but I think that's one of the greatest joys of a festival like this - discovering new talent!

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    You might be 100% wrong. He did a UNKLE megamix at the show I saw in Vegas last Sept. and it included Rabbit in your Headlights. So....

Justice is going to be awesome.

Yeah, I totally think Justice will be the best act in the tent. BTW, Erol Alkan isn't playing.

Talking Re: The Sahara Tent 2007

I've seen a lot of posts about the Sahara Tent being weak this year. I disagree. I would question that a majority of the people that are disappointed have probably never seen these bands.

I won't list all, but I will focus on why this year will be just as important as years past.

Infected Mushroom - Unless you don't like Psytrance, these guys alone would make it worth the trip. I only hope they don't come on at the same time as Rage. That would be a sin.

Please don't tell me I'm alone!!!

I am going to need ear plugs, cause I am going to spend the whole weekend in the Shara tent.
    "my ovaries are bigger than your testicles"

"Procrastination is like masturbation...It feels good until you realize you're screwing yourself"

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I saw JUSTICE and MSTRKRFT at Pukkelpop and they both totally crushed my head in a vice. Soulwax and Faithless will also be ridiculous. Also, i am rolling my BALLS off right now.

Also, i am rolling my BALLS off right now.
    does posting on the message board make you roll harder?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Yes. I actually wasn't rolling until I posted.