Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lollapalooza 2013

Default Re: Lollapalooza 2013

So I will not quote zafo cuz I know most of you have him on ignore, but again zafo stubhub DOES NOT buy tickets so stop saying they wont buy as many next year ya dolt!!!!!

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    That's basically subbing. Considering they played longer than MGMT did on that same side of the park.
    did miike snow sub for radiohead?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    So I will not quote zafo cuz I know most of you have him on ignore, but again zafo stubhub DOES NOT buy tickets so stop saying they wont buy as many next year ya dolt!!!!!
    This is why we have him on ignore. Reasoning with him has the same effect as huffing turpentine.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I don't get the idea that this is a weak year for headliners at festivals, etc., etc.

This is the new reality of: a) the festival circuit having been a thing for close to a decade now (Radiohead can only headline every festival so many times) and, b) the idea of "big" in the music industry being scaled down substantially from what it was ten or twenty years ago, particularly for rock bands.
    Care to agree or disagree...

Yannis Philippakis of Foals has said that he is "bored" with seeing the same bands and artists headline festivals every year, saying they aren't in touch with what is going on in the present day.

Speaking to The Daily Star on the day it was revealed that Foals will headline Latitude this year alongside Bloc Party and Kraftwerk, Philippakis described the small group of bands who repeatedly headline festivals in the UK as a "big problem", saying: "There's a big problem with old bands who always occupy the top slots at festivals. More heritage names reform every year, which only makes it worse. It really limits bands of our generation. We don't get a fair chance to headline, because the slots are reserved for the same old names."

Philippakis went on to say: "You get people in their late 30s going to festivals, in their dungarees with a couple of kids, wanting to relive their adolescence, pretending they're baggy again by watching The Stone Roses. They aren't in touch with what's going on now. I'm bored of seeing some dude from the '90s headline, it means nothing to me."

Foals will headline the third and final day of Latitude Festival, which runs between July 19-21 at Henham Park in Southwold, Suffolk. Bloc Party will headline the Obelisk Main Stage on the Friday, supporting the release of their fourth album '4'. In a coup for the festival, Kraftwerk will headline Saturday while Sunday will see the debut major festival headline set from Foals, who recently released their acclaimed third album 'Holy Fire'.
    http://www.nme.com/news/foals/69302

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I'm inclined to agree with what he's saying, at least to some extent. His point about the Stone Roses is close to the one I was making earlier, if you take that the role the Stone Roses are playing at UK festivals is roughly equivalent to the role currently being played by any number of '90s alt rock war horses for American festivals (though the Stone Roses reunion gigs are far less played out at this point than another round of NIN or RHCP or whatever). I'm not sure that I agree we are in danger of more and more heritage names reforming and sucking up oxygen though. Really, what's left from the '80s and '90s that can reform and headline everywhere that hasn't already? The Talking Heads and the Smiths? The bigger problem are the legacy bands that haven't gone anywhere touring on an infinite loop every four years.

But I also think that festival booking is starting to wise up to the point he is making here: you eventually have to start promoting newer bands to the big leagues, even if by the very nature of current industry standards they will almost definitionally never become as big as the war horses were and are. I think it's encouraging that -- as disparate as my feelings are for each of these acts -- the Kings of Leon, and Arcade Fire, and Mumford, and the Black Keys, and Phoenix have all been elevated over the last few years. Especially because the conventional industry is dying at the same time that touring and festivals are becoming larger baramoters of commercial success for artists. As someone who still supports the idea that it is culturally better than not that we continue to have popular, big tent rock and roll bands, it is important that the festivals themselves don't become a carousel for the same dozen or so legacy acts. It's precisely why I don't get discouraged or disappointed when people say x or y act isn't "big" enough to headline. That mindset reflects an era that doesn't exist any more, and that is probably unhealthy to continue supporting.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I think FOALS should start worrying about music on where they headline. Rock music in the past decades has been so dreadful imo. But maybe if FOALS can actually do something with they;re music, they'll be up there in 10 years headlining

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    did miike snow sub for radiohead?
    Different festivals and setups. Lollapalooza has two different sides of the park. You're basically opening for the headliners if you're playing on the side stage...on that same side of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    I think FOALS should start worrying about music on where they headline. Rock music in the past decades has been so dreadful imo. But maybe if FOALS can actually do something with they;re music, they'll be up there in 10 years headlining
    Except they are headling a festival sooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Different festivals and setups. Lollapalooza has two different sides of the park. You're basically opening for the headliners if you're playing on the side stage...on that same side of the park.
    i've been to lollapalooza, thank you. subs play the same stage before the headliner.

the slot the national played is called... wait for it... the side-stage closer.

regardless, the national will play the main stage before the headliner. on whatever side of the park c3 chooses.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    This is confounding.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

i've been to lollapalooza, thank you. subs play the same stage before the headliner.

regardless, the national will play the main stage before the headliner. on whatever side of the park c3 chooses.

That was a great show

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with what he's saying, at least to some extent. His point about the Stone Roses is close to the one I was making earlier, if you take that the role the Stone Roses are playing at UK festivals is roughly equivalent to the role currently being played by any number of '90s alt rock war horses for American festivals (though the Stone Roses reunion gigs are far less played out at this point than another round of NIN or RHCP or whatever). I'm not sure that I agree we are in danger of more and more heritage names reforming and sucking up oxygen though. Really, what's left from the '80s and '90s that can reform and headline everywhere that hasn't already? The Talking Heads and the Smiths? The bigger problem are the legacy bands that haven't gone anywhere touring on an infinite loop every four years.

But I also think that festival booking is starting to wise up to the point he is making here: you eventually have to start promoting newer bands to the big leagues, even if by the very nature of current industry standards they will almost definitionally never become as big as the war horses were and are. I think it's encouraging that -- as disparate as my feelings are for each of these acts -- the Kings of Leon, and Arcade Fire, and Mumford, and the Black Keys, and Phoenix have all been elevated over the last few years. Especially because the conventional industry is dying at the same time that touring and festivals are becoming larger baramoters of commercial success for artists. As someone who still supports the idea that it is culturally better than not that we continue to have popular, big tent rock and roll bands, it is important that the festivals themselves don't become a carousel for the same dozen or so legacy acts. It's precisely why I don't get discouraged or disappointed when people say x or y act isn't "big" enough to headline. That mindset reflects an era that doesn't exist any more, and that is probably unhealthy to continue supporting.

It also doesn't help when old acts, such as The Rolling Stones, get paid so much for reunion shows and specials that they're going to want to that type of paycheck for a festival as well. But what's the real incentive to book the Rolling Stones when you can sell out two weekends with headliners like The Stone Roses and Phoenix? I mean, outside of GV's alleged dream bookings (Talking Heads, Bowie, The Smiths), I can't see them dumping a ton of money on any of the old headliners going forward, except in rare instances.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by dekelou View Post
    That was a great show
    mr november with matt right in my face was pretty awesome

mr november with matt right in my face was pretty awesome
    I missed their set waiting for Arcade Fire, I was hoping they would've subbed.

Whatever. I saw them (The National) twice later that year.
    Last edited by zircona1; 03-20-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I was there that year and saw all three bands. Whether they're closing that stage or not, they're still subbing. The vast majority of people at that side stage end up seeing the headliner anyway. ACL does the exact same thing..

old school

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    It also doesn't help when old acts, such as The Rolling Stones, get paid so much for reunion shows and specials that they're going to want to that type of paycheck for a festival as well. But what's the real incentive to book the Rolling Stones when you can sell out two weekends with headliners like The Stone Roses and Phoenix? I mean, outside of GV's alleged dream bookings (Talking Heads, Bowie, The Smiths), I can't see them dumping a ton of money on any of the old headliners going forward, except in rare instances.
    I've never heard of the big 4 US festival ever being unable to afford an act they really want. Stones either didn't like the time line/commitment of the festival or they could make more with 2-3 arena shows in that same market.

There's also weird situations like Friday Coachella 2009 having tens of thousands more people than the other 2 days thank to McCartney.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    Are you kidding? Yes. Stubhub is not a person. This much is true. If you don't think GV sells chunks of tickets to various second/third-hand parties, then you're pretty rockingly stupid. I don't feel this is the case. You tell me why large amounts of people would be selling their tickets to a sold out show for under face value. Am I the only one here who didn't sleep through economics? A sell out indicates a very strong demand. Last year was a sell out, and resell tickets dropped below face before the show, with a pretty decent lineup. Why would hundreds/ thousands of people buy tickets with plans on reselling them knowing that a sold out show, even with a pretty good lineup, won't gain them a return on their investment? You're making zero sense. Think like someone who has money, and is intending on making more of it.

Anyway, thanks for not quoting me =) Makes it easier on all of us.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Say scalper gets 100 tickets. The first 50 when everyone scrambles he makes double per ticket. (I've seen 3 day passes sell for triple). The next 25 he breaks even. The last 25 he loses 50$ a ticket. Does scalper still win? Big time
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Which is where the false sell out comes into play. Those people thinking they missed the boat are probably still buying their passes directly from someone involved with FG/GV/AEG/whatever. Way to surpass quota.

I want to engage but really need to refrain in getting pulled into your stupidity

Get ready....any moment now....
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I've never heard of the big 4 US festival ever being unable to afford an act they really want. Stones either didn't like the time line/commitment of the festival or they could make more with 2-3 arena shows in that same market.

There's also weird situations like Friday Coachella 2009 having tens of thousands more people than the other 2 days thank to McCartney.

It's not about whether GV can afford a big name or not. It's more about whether or not they are willing to shell out a big chunk of change to a big name artists when they can sell 75,000 passes without doing so and still produce a quality product.

Also your 2009 example took place when single-day passes were still available.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

They were willing to pay a huge chunk of change for the Stones this year even though a sell out was guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Get ready....any moment now....
    Still waiting for that moment.

Its coming....
    Upcoming Shows:

Is that what she said?

You wish.

I dont know about you, but Id be refreshing if youre interested in going to Lolla for cheap.
    Upcoming Shows:

The $75 souvenir tickets are kept at will call IIRC, yeah? I'd buy them if I could have them mailed home. Have not even thought about going but would look into things if I got $75 passes.

Are we supposed to be refreshing the front page or the ticket page? I've been assuming it will be ticketing page, but don't want to be wrong.