Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Lollapalooza 2013

Default Re: Lollapalooza 2013

No problems today. Stream is consistent with just a little pixalation at times ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I love skinny brunettes that play guitar cr****

I'm in love again lolz
    Last edited by canexplain; 08-03-2013 at 11:59 AM.

stoked for Local Natives. They were so good at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    stoked for Local Natives. They were so good at Coachella.
    yep cr****

She also played live at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in April 2011.[ cr****

Lollapalooza 2013 Vs. Coachella: Behind the Scenes in Chicago

Mikey Glazer | The Wrap – 6 hours ago

After one day in downtown Chicago, the verdict is in: Lollapalooza is "No-Chella".

Perry Farrell's three-day festival kicked off Friday with headliners Nine Inch Nails and the Killers amidst intermittent drizzle in downtown Chicago's Grant Park. The event will continue through Sunday with a mix of rock and electronic artists including Mumford & Sons, The Postal Service, Knife Party, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, "Harlem Shaker" Baauer, and The Cure.

Highlights from Friday's opening day included the happy-hour set by Imagine Dragons (above, unmarred by a 10-minute power outage during their set), Band of Horses' afternoon performance, and the aforemetioned Killers.

For those bred on Aprils in the 909 at Coachella, there is no mistaking Lolla's central time zone locale. In the heartland, its a different culture.

Demographically, the crowd is overwhelmingly whiter, younger, and more "Footloose." It's less Brooklyn and more Mall of America. Think less moustaches and more bud light "tall-boy" cans.

A surprising demographic outreach is the "Kidzapalooza" stage geared towards the Nickelodeon set, where snowboard legend Shaun White's band "Bad Things" is scheduled to perform Saturday afternoon. Elsewhere, there were several multi-generational family groups and the wafts of weed smoke that envelope Indio are more notable here as the exception rather than the rule.

Excluding the blood relation between WME co-CEO Ari Emanuel and his brother, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (who issued a full page welcome letter in the festival brochure next to the set times) the industry's stamp of approval on this festival is surprisingly more faint.

While Coachella has celebrity free agents, household names that swipe their electronic wristbands as civilian fans, Lolla's grounds are more talent-sterile.

However the urban setting lends a completely different vibe. Instead of driving 45 minutes from Palm Springs or a desert-city house, Lollapalooza's crowd walks into the park from public transportation and other parts in the city.

Remember, this is the same park of President Obama's historic 2008 election night victory speech (with a tearful Oprah Winfrey in 2008) and six Bulls' championship celebrations in the 1990s.

As skyscrapers frame each set and help orient stages, within the sprawling and more spread out grounds than the Empire Polo Fields, other natural markers like roadways, fountains, and city blocks partition the venue instead of ferris wheels. Alcohol can be brought anywhere, removed from the "beer garden" ghettos of Indio.

The analog to the famed electronic shrine of "Sahara Tent" here is an outdoor stage named "Perry's," where Dada Life, Flux Pavilion, and started-in-a-dorm-room-at-Tufts-and-

Within minutes of being at the grounds, the crowd spills out into nearby businesses and hotels. Also, the show ends by 10 p.m., much earlier than in Indio. This all lends to an urban after-party scene and smaller but more concentrated shoulder economy of after parties.

Staying true to its British roots, they brought in U.K. sensation Emeli Sande (left, whose U.S. crossover has been more burpy and bumpy) to headline a packed room.

Her corner is strong. Clive Davis threatened his Grammy party guests this year that they would remember where they first heard the woman who closed the London Olympics, and who somehow got the slight of a 1:00 p.m. tea-time set time on the stage in Chicago.

The Hard Rock scored a more choice position as the only one of 30 festival sponsors to get a permanent full page ad on the homescreen of the official Lollapalooza app every time it opens to view a set time or location.

After finishing filming "Hercules" with Brett Ratner and before starting "The Expendables 3," Kellan Lutz and his brothers scoped the ever-globe-trotting Steve Aoki's set from the stage backstage scene before hitting BMF Media's Hard Rock Hotel concerts with ASOS later in the night. Besides the Coachella-regular Lutz, other Hollywood brands have descended on Chicago.

Samsung, which has had a banner year tying themselves to music is a major presence and one of the bigger hits at the festival. It's not just because of their instant "battery swap" stations that keep people Instagramming.

After a year in which the iPhone-kryptonite has indelibly aligned themselves as the music fairy godmother by slipping brand aficionados from the general public with experiences like Prince at Austin's SXSW in March, Jay-Z's 4th of July "Magna Carta Holy Grail" surprise freebie release announced during the NBA finals, Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar's bi-coastal concerts to launch the Note II, and a huge concert series at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas last summer, they took over the prime real estate in Grant Park for beach-chair seating in a private garden and stage access on the prime "Lake Shore Stage."

Their footprint includes a massive consumer activation village and backstage artist lounge, where I caught Steve Aoki's prolific social media team churning out candid updates in real time.

While Coachella's pre-summer April timing lends itself neatly to investments from fashion retailers looking to influence summer wardrobes, the August timing and smaller freelance celebrity turnout makes Lolla a less popular "buy."

However, several brands that activated at Coachella have planted flags in the 312 this weekend. Gilt City hosts the tight-listed Saturday afternoon party with Fiji Water, and the drink-with-ice Barefoot Refresh wines that made the pool scene at Coachella welcomed Dita Von Teese and Imagine Dragons on Friday. Hennessy, whose strict "Hennessy only" parties continues its track record of courting Hollywood with concerts and parties at Public this weekend.

The afterhours winner is undisputed. Billy Dec's mainstay "The Underground" had late night heat on Friday. In addition to Lutz, Geoff Stults (fresh off of TCA's for his Fox comedy "Enlisted") and the musical face of the NBA, DJ Irie, lit up the renovated space that timed its reopening to the big concert weekend. Brandlink's Greg Link held court at the house table with Dec and photographer Seth Browarnik as talent manager Ryan Daly ushered in a large crew that made it past the ropes on W. Illinois.

The concert continues through Sunday night.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

friend is sending me all sorts of backstage stuff. works for c3. pissed.
    she had ZERO idea of who to see, was just excited to go. asked for me to give her an entire lineup how i would see it if i was there. followed it to a T. even sent me sidestage shots of Ghost B.C. now i KNOW she didnt go to that on her own.

love her to death, but goddamn how do you have such an awesome job and literally not know a single one of the bands on the lineup besides postal service?

Lollapalooza 2013 Friday: NIN, Chance The Rapper, Father John Misty, Jessie Ware, And More

Updated: 08/03/2013 5:26 pm EDT
    Justin Barbin/HuffPost

Lollapalooza 2013 kicked off Friday afternoon in Chicago with only brief rain, hordes of bare bodies and music that ranged from tremendous to truly awful -- in other words, it was a pretty typical Day 1.

The (presumably ticketed) fest-goers who arrived early when gates opened at 11 a.m. were among the first Lolla fans to check out the damn-near impenetrable 8-foot steel fence erected to keep jumpers out of the 2013 fanfare.

Early morning rains had made a mess of the field, so officials were spreading mulch around the soggiest parts of the park and taping off others to avoid and all-out mud mess.

Things proceeded on with relative order until a brief rain shower soaked Grant Park a little after 2 p.m. Despite the downpour, the fields didn't quite devolve into the all-out mudslide like they had in years past. After the 2012 storm evacuation mess, this year Lolla organizers used the festival's official smart phone app to push weather notifications throughout the day -- that is, if you could get cell service in the park.

Though things dried off by the time Chicago's own Smith Westerns were ready to roll, sound setup glitches took a roughly 10 minute bite out of the young band's set. Once the hiccups were sorted out, the Smith Westerns wasted no time cracking out clear, bright guitar notes and melodic indie-pop vocals from the Red Bull Stage. Despite their low-key easy listening vibe, the band sounded even snappier than they did during their Lolla debut two years earlier.

Immediately followed on the Lakeshore Stage Josh Tillman, aka Father John Misty, cracked on the sound bleed from the EDM music blaring from Perry's Stage. Droll yet sincere, Tillman may be one of the few acts who doesn't get invited back for a future show after he dedicated his razor-sharp stage banter to skewering everything that Lollapalooza has come to embody -- including the ridiculous fashion, pricey VIP perks and creator Perry Farrell himself. It would be a shame, though, not to invite an artist of Tillman's talent back; he was easily one of the smartest acts booked this year, and stood out as our favorite of the day.

In between country-folk-themed rock stompers like "I'm Writing A Novel," "I Love You, Honey Bear" and "Only Son Of The Ladiesman" Tillman sucked face with a unicorn and tossed out gems like:

"I heard a girl here say "I hate the rain." Rain makes civilization possible. Civilization enables groupthink -- and groupthink makes it possible for shitty music to be huge...so I love the rain!"

Later, Tillman mocked the festival's sale of the ultra-luxurious "Platinum" VIP pass, rumored to cost $3,600 for the weekend.

"If you bought a Platinum Pass, that entitles you to a song sung directly to you. You also get to shake hands with Imagine Dragons, and dry-hump Lana Del Ray. I'm really looking forward to you eating sushi of me later."

Despite his obvious contempt for Lolla (in a way making his presence all the more absurd -- or hypocritical), Tillman turned in an excellent show. And with all the sincerity he pours into his songs, he thanked to robust audience that showed up to hear him. "Thanks for coming out to this one, I know you have a lot of options," he said before adding with a playful growl, " "It means you have impeccable taste!"

Even if New Order had been half as impressive in their Red Bull Stage set, they could still pull rank for influencing half of the synth and dance-beat heavy performers at Lolla. Singer Bernard Sumner committed the ultimate performance faux-paus by wearing a shirt with his bands name on it as he performed, but many fans probably didn't care once they heard well-loved hits like "Ceremony" and "Blue Monday" blasting from the stage. Older, slightly slower and missing their original bassist Peter Hook, New Order sounded solid, falling into the lukewarm range of many veteran acts who play Lolla: pleasantly nostalgic, enjoyable but lacking in that X-factor thrill that made them champs in their heyday.

In what will go down as one of Lollapalooza's more puzzling programming moves, Chicago's Chance the Rapper was tucked away at BMI -- the smallest stage of the festival. Though logic would suggest a hometown performer whose album has been universally hailed would warrant a bigger stage, Chance and crew made the best of what they had for the 40-minute set. I would have personally liked to have heard more of Chance's songs in full and am probably in the minority among fans at the fest -- everyone went wild for his hyper medley and mashup style that interspersed his songs with popular '90s hip-hop tracks. Hands were in the air nearly the entire set and waved especially hard for "Pusha Man," "Acid Rain" and "Everybody's Someone." The crowd started to depart after an abrupt stop that seemed to signal an early end to Chance's set. Those who left early missed out: Chance started up again, only now he was joined by Twista and Vic Mensa for the excellent "Cocoa Butter Kisses."

Mid-way into the blazing set for Hot Chip, I realize it's a good thing I didn't get there when it started: the British electronic band is simply unstoppable, and I would have been exhausted from from a straight hour of dancing at the end of the day. Like a more spirited and complex version of the stuff that goes on at Perry's Stage, cuts like "Ready For The Floor" were an A+ mix -- enough rock to keep synth from being banal and enough synth to keep rock from being undanceable.

Capping off the end of the day was a very loud Nine Inch Nails. While volume was the first thing that stood out, a mixed reaction from the crowd was second. Trent Reznor and company sounded tight as ever, though looking at the audience revealed a mix of excitement, boredom and was probably a lot of stoned faces. Trent Reznor, massively muscled and sweaty, sounded same as he ever did at NIN's peak, growling through new tracks like "Came Back Haunted" packed against oldies -- including one I left too early to catch: "Closer." Those who ignored the Lolla weather alert and hung out till the very end were rewarded: I hear the band closed out the first day of the fest with the amazing "Hurt," which probably left weary fest-goers elated.

Meanwhile, Joe checked in to some of Jessie Ware's after party action that was -- thankfully -- nothing like the disastrous Death Grips no-show. From HuffPost Chicago Editor Joe Erbentraut:

On the party front, a very chatty Jessie Ware headlined a sold-out official after show at Lincoln Hall +Friday night. Wearing an oversized white jacket over a black leather top, Ware delighted the packed house with an energetic set she admitted was "pretty much identical" to the one she played earlier in the day. "I don't know what you're doing here," she told the fans she recognized from her earlier set.
    Playing pretty much the entirety of her debut album, "Devotion," it was clear the British R&B singer-songwriter would have played deep into the night had she had a deeper catalogue at her fingertips. Standout tracks were "If You're Never Gonna Move," "Wildest Moments" and the set-ending "Running." "You've rejuvenated me!" Ware told the crowd, saying she'd felt tired before the gig started.

Pacific Air opened with an overly earnest set that recalled a Passion Pit-esque vibe but fell short of connecting emotionally with the audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Father John. You gotta love him. He was saying things I say like the VIP statement.. Wish they would have streamed that... cr****

That Cure set was ok....I liked them more at Pantages last year.

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

I only went Sunday.

I was about 10-12 persons back from the center rail for The Cure. They were incredible, played a fantastic set. I got chills during 'Friday I'm in Love' and 'Just Like Heaven'. (BTW, this was my first time seeing them.)

Grizzly Bear were pretty good, though they probably sound better in a small theater or club.

Tegan and Sara were OK, they played a bunch of stuff from the new album but not my favorite song from it (I'm Not Your Hero), also they didn't play any of my favorites that I've seen them play in the past (Walking With a Ghost, The Con, You Wouldn't Like Me).

Angel Haze surprised me - she had good flow. I'll have to check out some of her stuff.

Palma Violets were fine.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

First words from The Orwells (new favorite band): "Coachella 2014!"

Confirmed, ya fuckheads.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

I had a great time at Lolla as usual this year. Stand out sets were

The National
    The Cure
    Hot Chip- preshow
    Vampire Weekend
    New Order
    The Postal Service-aftershow
    Crystal Castles
    Two Door Cinema Club
    Father John Misty
    Palma Violets
    Local Natives
    Foals-aftershow
    St. Lucia
    Jake Bugg

New Order (sans wind storm) were better than at Coachella. Fuck, they proved their legendary status.
    Crystal Castles - thought Alice was really gonna kick it this time (auto asphyxiation anyone?)
    The Postal Service - saw them after that cunt Azealia canceled and luved the show
    The Cure - perfect setlist for Lolla time cuntstraints
    NIN, The National, Wild Nothing, Haim, Disclosure, The Orwells were all sensational
    Lolla gets an A but Coachella crowd is much, much prettier
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

I totally agree about The Cure. The only thing stopping that setlist from being absolutely perfect was the lack of "Push" though

Justin Timberlake headlining 2014.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Looks that way
    That's a big get for Lolla if it happens

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Got a source?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I think he is basing it off of these new tour dates

Jul. 12 Charlotte, NC Time Warner Cable Arena
    Jul. 14 Baltimore, MD Baltimore Arena
    Jul. 16 Albany, NY Times Union Center
    Jul. 18 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun
    Jul. 19 Boston, MA TD Garden
    Jul. 22 Ottawa, ON Canadian Tire Centre
    Jul. 25 Montreal, QC Bell Centre
    Jul. 26 Montreal, QC Bell Centre
    Jul. 28 Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills
    Jul. 30 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center
    Aug. 3 New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena
    Aug. 5 San Antonio, TX AT&T Center
    Aug. 8 Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Garden Arena
    Aug. 11 San Jose, CA SAP Center at San Jose

old school

P4k and COS flowing Timberlake so closely in their news stories is a head scratcher.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

What's the stretch? In 2006 he released a really good pop album. He then took nearly 7 years off of music and finally released another really good pop album early in 2013 followed by a huge tour with Jay-Z. Those shows were a huge success and now he's got his own tour. Just because it's pop doesn't mean it should be neglected.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Looks that way
    That's a big get for Lolla if it happens
    only US Festival. regardless if it's after a massive touring schedule it's a very impressive get for Lolla.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

old school

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    What's the stretch? In 2006 he released a really good pop album. He then took nearly 7 years off of music and finally released another really good pop album early in 2013 followed by a huge tour with Jay-Z. Those shows were a huge success and now he's got his own tour. Just because it's pop doesn't mean it should be neglected.
    It's just odd to me that COS and P4K would focus on him while ignoring other acts, especially when most of their writers and readers are male.

Timberlake got heavily bottled when he played a Toronto festival in 2003.

Maybe he did release an ok pop album 8 years ago but the new album has some horrible production and is in dire need of an editor. I cringed during that entire MVA performance. I'm actually a fan of what he was TRYING to do with the "20" albums but face palmed the execution.

Gaga did Lolla, but her 2007 appearance there made that work. I have trouble seeing her ever doing ACL/Roo/Chella at any point, past or future.

Also, it would be his 4th Chicago show on this tour cycle and 6-7th show within the 300 mile radius. Even RHCP would think that's overkill.

Lol at calling Future Sex Love Sounds just an "ok" pop album. Also C3 isn't booking Lolla just for people who live in Chicago. It's a destination festival and the majority of the people who attend it come from out of state.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Lol at calling Future Sex Love Sounds just an "ok" pop album. Also C3 isn't booking Lolla just for people who live in Chicago. It's a destination festival and the majority of the people who attend it come from out of state.
    You've reinforced 2 of my points.

The "20" albums are a notable step down from the 2006 album and everyone that lives near a decent sized citiy will had had at least 1 chance to see him before on this tour in the months leading up to Lolla.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

sounds like RHCP, the Black Keys, Muse, and a myriad of other Lollapalooza and Coachella headliners.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

old school

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    sounds like RHCP, the Black Keys, Muse, and a myriad of other Lollapalooza and Coachella headliners.
    How many of the above names played a double header in a local arena 6-7 weeks before the festival lineup is released?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    The "20" albums are a notable step down from the 2006 album and everyone that lives near a decent sized citiy will had had at least 1 chance to see him before on this tour in the months leading up to Lolla.
    Woah, woah, hold on Bee. But what if it were a US festival EXCLUSIVE?!?!?!?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Gaga did Lolla, but her 2007 appearance there made that work. I have trouble seeing her ever doing ACL/Roo/Chella at any point, past or future.
    I think you're putting too much stock in Gaga's 2007 appearance having much weight for her headlining. Gaga as Lolla headliner is pretty damned good precedent for Timberlake as Lolla headliner.

Not to mention, Lolla gets a huge casual festival-goer crowd, and a Timberlake-type act is great for pulling in all the dildos that would go for just one big pop crossover act.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

So, looks like Nick Cave and Arctic Monkeys will be playing this as well.