Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Lollapalooza 2013

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: Lollapalooza 2013

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    wait, people actually like the Lollapalooza lineup? are you joking me?
    people like the cure and NIN, gooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I like the lineup , but if coachella dropped this there would be outrage over the edm. Still not better than coachella .

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Between this top line and Bonnaroo (plus the ACL and OSL rumors), really makes Coachella 2013 headliners a head scratcher. Can't think of anything else other than they had the Stones locked up and it fell apart.
    ugh, i know! if only coachella hadn't had all of these bands as headliners years ago they could've headlined this year!
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    people like the cure and NIN, gooner.
    exactly, and thats it? Ill most likely try for single day NIN tix
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    exactly, and thats it? Ill most likely try for single day NIN tix
    i mean, all mid tier acts are recycle to fuck. i don't think lolla got any that i wished were at coachella, but since a headliner is likely the only act you'll see after dark at Lolla, it's more important there than at coachella.

I'll bebuying a single day for the cure and catching NIN's arena tour or whatever.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    I like the lineup , but if coachella dropped this there would be outrage over the edm. Still not better than coachella .
    I don't think it's even a valid comparison. The two festivals are aiming for different audiences. Coachella can afford to book more bands simply because the tickets are $115 more for 3 day passes, or $150 more if you got Lolla early birds. That's a mid-sized festival ticket alone.

Lolla no longer seems to be trying to compete in the EDM side because there are now 5 damn EDM festivals in Chicago area alone. I'm sick and tired of having EDM forced on me with every festival ticket, so it's nice to see C3 try something different.

Coachella has now typicaly developed into the better rounded festival with more rare and international acts. I have to spend a hell of a lot to go too, but I find it's worth it.

Lollapalooza is great for planning to mitigate conflicts at Coachella, as 2 weekends at Chella is a rich bastard's folly. The Cure and NIN alone are better headliners for me than Blur/Stone Roses, (both get Phoenix, and I don't give two shits about RHCP or MumSons) but Coachella always seems to win overall with it's very well balanced upper, mid, lower tiers. Lolla has a weak middle, respectable lower and nice upper.

My take: Apples to Oranges.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Put your must sees up against each other. Lolla is really superior to Coachella still? Sad
    Honestly, I'd still love Coachella if Blur and Stone Roses had headlined separate nights. It's more that Phoenix, the Stone Roses, and Blur are superbly weak headliners when comparing the headliners of other festivals. I'd rather see NIN/ The Cure/ RHCP headlining, though they've all previously headlined. Unless you get x number of great bands emerging each year, it will be impossible to have a festival year after year without repeats from previous years, without having headliners that weren't headlining other fests the year previous, without totally pissing a lot of people off.

In other words, I'm happy with the Coachella lineup. Completely satisfied, even if I talk shit about it. I feel that I have the right to talk shit about anything I love. It's not to hurt the fest, but to push a perspective that all the ass kissers and the haters can't touch on.

Do I think other fests have outdone Coachella on headliners this year? That would be a very strong yes. Let's see where we're at with this topic in a year though. Give it the test of time.

To me prices a of these city fests are not cheaper because I camp at coachella where as I have to buy expensive hotels in cities. I know it's not equal playing grounds , but the cost is the same to me.

I really like lolla though its definitely better than osl

People need to stop with the constant comparisons of Coachella, Lolla and Roo. All three are very different festivals and they delivered quality lineups this year.

It's not apples to oranges that would be comparing stagecoach to coachella . At least a sixty percent lineup overlap between these fests . All are expensive and it's perfectly normal to compare things.

I really like lolla though its definitely better than osl
    What the fuck are you saying here? OSL hasn't announced its line-up yet? Unless you are just talking about in general.

I'm partial to OSL but probably because I'm a local and I like how they schedule things. Plus the food and wine is probably the best out of any festival. And its not 100 degrees like Lolla. Lolla has more edm though.
    Last edited by Vasoline Groove; 03-28-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    What the fuck are you saying here?
    Between the two city fests lolla has it figured out . Both are exactly the same with city after shows and everything . Lolla is much better organized .

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Lolla has also been around like 20 more years than OSL...
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    People need to stop with the constant comparisons of Coachella, Lolla and Roo. All three are very different festivals and they delivered quality lineups this year.
    I think a lot of people become loyal to one festival and feel hurt when people crap on theirs. I agree with you 100%. I would be happy to go to any fest this year. It's a hell of a year to be a festival fan.

Some people just like needless conflict...

I'm partial to OSL but probably because I'm a local and I like how they schedule things. Plus the food and wine is probably the best out of any festival.
    This interests me greatly. One of my favorite developments over the past few years at Lolla has been the available bottles of wine. I'm really tired of beer at festivals and find a cool bottle of Pinot Grigio is the perfect compliment to a hot day. Refreshing, and one I've drank it, I fill the sport bottle up with water. Oh my god... I'm going to be drinking Pinot Noir and watching the Cure. This will be the best thing EVER.
    Last edited by orangejulius; 03-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

Between the two city fests lolla has it figured out . Both are exactly the same with city after shows and everything . Lolla is much better organized .
    Sure, but Nathan has a good point as well.

I feel like Lolla is more of a pop festival than OSL. OSL would not have Gaga headline and Lolla would not have Neil Young headline.

And I'm not crapping on Lolla. I think they do a good job as well.

Pumped that I got the $75 secret sale tickets. Makes this lineup that much sweeter!

Sure, but Nathan has a good point as well.

I feel like Lolla is more of a pop festival than OSL. OSL would not have Gaga headline and Lolla would not have Neil Young headline.

nathans point only goes back to 2005. That's when C3 took over lollapalooza. it's not like it's remotely similar to the touring lolla.

Quote Originally Posted by fistacuffs View Post
    Pumped that I got the $75 secret sale tickets. Makes this lineup that much sweeter!
    Damn you...

I'm still sore after missing out on it. I got up to change a hard drive on a server for 5 minutes and missed it. I camped out the damn thing all day! I've never once snagged the souvenir tickets...
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Lolla has also been around like 20 more years than OSL...
    This.

I think OSL will have a better lineup than Lolla this year. (Obviously tastes will vary.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

I'd rather have Gaga than Young. :P

I wouldn't call Lolla a 'pop' festival, but they do book 'alternative' (for the 90's acts) and "indie" (for the 00's acts) that are very mainstream. It fits their demographic.

I had a great time at Lolla when I went 4 years ago, and I'm thinking about going back... not that excited about most of the lineup but there are a bunch of acts I wouldn't mind seeing, and the Cure and NIN in the same fest sounds delightful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejulius View Post
    Damn you...

I'm still sore after missing out on it. I got up to change a hard drive on a server for 5 minutes and missed it. I camped out the damn thing all day! I've never once snagged the souvenir tickets...
    i got up to have a cigarette :/

nathans point only goes back to 2005. That's when C3 took over lollapalooza. it's not like it's remotely similar to the touring lolla.
    This reminds me of 2004-what could have been an awesome Lolla tour I was so pissed when they cancelled it due to poor ticket sales...

Morrissey, PJ Harvey, Sonic Youth, The Killers, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, The Von Bondies, The String Cheese Incident, Modest Mouse, Le Tigre, Gomez, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Danger Mouse, The Polyphonic Spree, Broken Social Scene, The Datsuns, Bumblebeez 81, The Secret Machines, Brayndead Freakshow, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Elbow, Wheat, The Coup, Wolf Eyes, The Dresden Dolls

8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    This reminds me of 2004-what could have been an awesome Lolla tour I was so pissed when they cancelled it due to poor ticket sales...

Morrissey, PJ Harvey, Sonic Youth, The Killers, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, The Von Bondies, The String Cheese Incident, Modest Mouse, Le Tigre, Gomez, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Danger Mouse, The Polyphonic Spree, Broken Social Scene, The Datsuns, Bumblebeez 81, The Secret Machines, Brayndead Freakshow, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Elbow, Wheat, The Coup, Wolf Eyes, The Dresden Dolls
    yeah, i was really into that lineup and hoping to go myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I'd rather have Gaga than Young. :P

I wouldn't call Lolla a 'pop' festival, but they do book 'alternative' (for the 90's acts) and "indie" (for the 00's acts) that are very mainstream. It fits their demographic.

I had a great time at Lolla when I went 4 years ago, and I'm thinking about going back... not that excited about most of the lineup but there are a bunch of acts I wouldn't mind seeing, and the Cure and NIN in the same fest sounds delightful to me.
    Im not calling it a pop festival, just more pop that OSL which has a more hippie/crunchy thing going on.

I've been saying that I want to get back to Lolla as well, but with it being a week before OSL and having some overlap it just doesn't ever seem like its going to work.

I was pissed when they cancelled that 2004 Lolla. It was like the fourth time I wanted to see PJ Harvey and got denied due to circumstances. I had pit tickets for the 2003 version and had Nick Oliveri screaming at me front and center:

2003 edition:

Main Stage: Jane's Addiction, Audioslave, Incubus, Queens of the Stone Age (7/5-8/13), A Perfect Circle (8/15-8/23), Jurassic 5, The Donnas, Rooney

Side Stage: Steve-O, Burning Brides, Cave In, Kings of Leon, Hierosonic, 30 Seconds to Mars, The Music, The Mooney Suzuki, Fingertight, MC Supernatural, boysetsfire, Billy Talent, Campfire Girls, Mondo Generator, Shihad (As Pacifier), Sleepy Eddie, ColdSnap, Hot Action Cop, Swizzle Tree, Mr. North, The Distillers, Golden Buddhas

Quote Originally Posted by orangejulius View Post
    I think a lot of people become loyal to one festival and feel hurt when people crap on theirs. I agree with you 100%. I would be happy to go to any fest this year. It's a hell of a year to be a festival fan.

Some people just like needless conflict...
    Seriously I picked the best year to do all three of those festivals!

yeah, i was really into that lineup and hoping to go myself.
    I had tickets for the pine knob shows :/

old school

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    NIN and Cure after shows are all I can think about right now. shit.
    How many Cure shows can they play in a weekend?

Somehow I don't see Robert playing for a couple of hours at the festival and then playing an after party too. But hopefully the Cure gets a nice long set time. A 2.5 hour set is not unusual for them at a festival if they're given the time on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post

My first time seeing this and my only question is how the hell did this line up not sell tickets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?