Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Atoms for Peace - AMOK

Default Re: Atoms for Peace - AMOK

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Two things:

1) for the Arcade Fire equivalency to work in this scenario, I'd actually have to post the setlists of a Win Butler-led sideproject that plays the same dozen or so songs every night, anyway.

2) no, with the exception of the first night or something unusual happening, I'm not going to post Arcade Fire setlists here.
    1) Win is too cool to start a side project. He's busy jamming with the world's greatest rock n roll band...

2) If I remember correctly, two-night run at MSG I saw had almost identical setlists! Maybe they swapped the order of some songs but yea whatever they keep getting worse with every album since Funeral. I thought they had peaked during their tour with LCD. LCD blew them away that night. At least Win didn't forget to shake hands with James Murphy! Can you spot him

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    so they played atoms for peace twice twice?
    one acoustic, one electric!

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Gotta reserve something to "blow minds" with later on in the tour.
    troll spooks and supre(er), not the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Chipotle’s Playlist Is the Same All Around the World
    7/11/13 at 10:35 AM

Thom Yorke's meandering tenor "wreaks havoc with the steel and concrete of a Chipotle buildout" according to the man who creates the playlists for the chain's 1,400-odd restaurants, which is why burrito bowls and OK Computer will never, ever commingle. One man, Christopher Golub, of the Brooklyn-based Studio Orca, puts together a new package 500 or so tracks every month that is beamed directly to Chipotles across the globe once it's ready. The Orwellian taco twist is that the songs' beats per minute increase during lunch hours, when productivity is high and mastication in general needs to pick up the pace. Chop, chop, people
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

That explains why I feel like I'm in a hurry every time I eat lunch there

2:17 I lost it...

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

wtf is going on here? pretty cool whatever this is.

http://www.soundhalo.com - It's coming. Atoms For Peace at London's Roundhouse - 25th & 26th July 2013. Watch, download & share the whole set or individual tracks.

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

For those looking for Santa Barbara pit tickets
    http://tickets.waste.uk.com/Store/DII-4117-5-.html

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Anyone going to the Santa Barbara show and driving back to LA after? A friend and I need a lift back into LA. Will throw in gas money and some green at the show !

aRGH I AM SO TEMPTED
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Ah damnit. I just checked my bank account.

Atoms for Peace Will Play Arenas, Won't Play 'Creep'
    'We're talking about the logistics of doing some other things,' says Nigel Godrich

Atoms for Peace were done with their 16-song set at Oakland's Fox Theater, but the crowd made it very clear they weren't going anywhere. It was April 14th, 2010, and the newly named group – featuring Thom Yorke, Flea, Nigel Godrich, drummer Joey Waronker and percussionist Mauro Refosco – realized they had a problem. They'd already played every song on Yorke's solo LP The Eraser along with a handful of B-sides and Radiohead tunes, but still the audience kept screaming, even 15 minutes after the band left the stage.

"We didn't know what to do," says Godrich. "So we simply came back and jammed. I mean, we improvised onstage. All those years of getting stoned and playing stupid music with my friends in my bedroom were not lost, because it all came out. It was manifested at that moment."

This was a situation the 42-year-old Godrich never imagined he'd find himself in, especially since the age of 20, when he put down his guitar to work as a record engineer and producer. Engineering work on early 1990s albums by Big Country and Siouxsie and the Banshees led to a life-changing meeting with Radiohead in 1994. He co-produced their EP My Iron Lung that year, and the next year he was brought back to engineer The Bends. He's produced all their albums since, and can fairly be called the group's sixth member.

Godrich's work with Radiohead led to countless opportunities, and in the past 15 years he's produced albums for Beck, R.E.M. and Paul McCartney. By 2007 he was one of the most acclaimed producers on the planet, and returning to his stoned teenage years as a performer was the last thing on his mind.

"At that time, Beck was going on a South American stadium tour opening up for the Police," says Godrich. "He didn't have a keyboard player, and it was really getting down to the wire. He called and said, 'You gotta do it.' Beck is just the greatest sweetheart in the world, and I half-jokingly agreed. I was like, 'Uh, really?' And Beck was like, 'Yeah, you'll be fine.'"

Before he knew it, Godrich found himself in front of 70,000 screaming Police fans at soccer stadiums all across South America. It was a lot more fun than he imagined. "Once you do one of those things once, the spell is instantly broken," he says. "You understand the dynamic, which is really just do enjoy yourself. It didn't really freak me out at all."

Still, the experience seemed like a surreal, one-shot deal, at least until 2009, when Thom Yorke decided to launch his first solo tour to support his LP The Eraser. "He called me up to tell me about the tour and my first reaction was actually, 'Oooh, can I be on it?" says Godrich. "That record was really something we did together, very much the two of us. It was a fun experience, and it would be sad for that to go from something electronic and made inside of a computer to something real without me there. I would feel sad if I wasn't involved. He said, 'Yeah, of course.'"

It didn't take long to flesh out the lineup. "Thom was focused on the percussion side of things," says Godrich. "We had to translate this very, very electronic, very digital, clicky sound into a real performance, into an organic human experience. So basically we knew we needed a good percussion player. Joey Waronker is my best friend and my go-to drummer, so he was definitely on board."

Finding a bassist was equally simple. "Flea had always been a very vocal supporter of The Eraser," says Godrich. "Thom, quite rightly, predicted that since the bass lines were so aggressive that he would be the perfect guy to bring the thing to life. What you wind up with is this bizarre equation of constituent parts that seem very eclectic and maybe won't necessarily work together."

At first, the group was very much Thom Yorke's backing band, even billing themselves as "Thom Yorke????" That's how they were labeled on the 2010 Coachella poster, but by the time they arrived at the festival they were Atoms for Peace. They were also beginning to tinker with original material. "The first couple days of rehearsal were just incredibly positive," says Godrich. "Just magical."

There's a mere nine songs on The Eraser, and even when they played B-sides Yorke was forced to perform Radiohead songs like "Everything in Its Right Place" on the piano to flesh out the set. The impromptu jam in Oakland impressed everybody, and it got Yorke and Godrich thinking the group needed to get into the studio and capture that magic.

"When the tour ended, we all went into a room and knocked around ideas," says Godrich. "In that time, we recorded the skeleton of what became Amok. It wasn't songs as such, but more tracks and bits of music and rhythm. Of course, the rhythm is the thing that everything starts with. Making electronic rhythms and translating them into real things in the air with people spinning their own angles was the beginning of the record."

They could have probably finished the record there and then, but Radiohead and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were both gearing up for new albums and mega world tours. They didn't get a chance to finish the album until late 2012, and it finally hit in February of 2013. A supporting tour would have to wait for the Chilis to get off the road, and Yorke was more than ready for a break after Radiohead's grueling global odyssey.

This time around, Atoms for Peace decided to leave the clubs behind in favor of arenas and festivals. They played Europe in June and July, and an American run begins September 24th in Philadelphia. "This time around we have two albums to draw from," says Godrich. "There were a few factions in the band regarding how to create a set list. There was one school of thought where we'd play The Eraser from beginning to end and then play Amok from beginning to end. But it felt like in order to acknowledge the fact this really is a band and not just two separate projects, it would be nice to have a scale and a pace. We had a couple of dry runs, and since then have pretty much stuck with a set list that only changes a little."

Godrich spends the majority of the show playing keyboards and guitar, carefully avoiding the spotlight. "My dream is to be anonymous, honestly," he says. "I'm the guy behind the green curtain in Oz. Also, we have two great performers right in front of me and the most incredible, kinetic, watchable drummer to my left and a very interesting percussionist on the other side of the stage. So I don't need to stand in front of a bunch of people and flaunt my wares. I just go out and do my part.

"I just played a tour with a little band with Joey called Ultraísta. It was just the three of us onstage, so I had to take on more responsibility. After that, this is easy. Also, this is a huge spectacle with huge lights. It's enough energy to really fill a big space like an arena."

Some fans might come to the shows hoping to hear Radiohead classics, but other than the super obscure 2004 B-side "Paperbag Writer," they are going to be disappointed. "I can't remember where, but there was one show where a guy was yelling all night for 'Creep,'" says Godrich. "Thom went, 'No, I'm not going to play fucking "Creep," you bastards.'"

As of now, the tour wraps November 23rd after a series of shows in Japan. "We are talking about the logistics of doing some other things," says Godrich. "But we have the slightly annoying issue where we're five people doing five different things, so getting everybody free at the same time is a little hard. I know we want to carry on. It's going to come down to what everyone's year is looking like next year."
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-20130916

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Flea should drop out of RHCP.

You can pull nice-but-pricey Terrace seats for HB 10-16 off ticketbastard as of last night

If anyone needs 1 ticket, I have an extra terrace box seat for the Hollywood Bowl show, 10/16. Face value- $100. It's will-call, unfortunately.

I've been waiting for this Hollywood Bowl show, it is almost upon us..
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    This is a muthafucking jam right here. Do you guys even get laid?

AFP on the Daily Show this Wednesday! http://www.thedailyshow.com/guests
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey

Nice!

AFP (played from 9:22pm-11:02pm) was great last night! Stuck Together Pieces was incredible live just as I imagined but my favorite song was Rabbit in your Headlights. That song has been on my bucket list for years and the way Thom sang it worked perfectly Everyone was in a great mood and Thom introduced himself as Jay-Z and Flea as Beyonce haha. Only real mistake was Thom forgetting the lyrics during And it Rained All Night Don't miss James Holden set! Frat boys from Temple were talking and yelling, "turn the knobs!" but those who know his music will definitely enjoy it. He has a drummer with him and played for about 45 minutes

01. Before Your Very Eyes
    02. Default
    03. The Clock
    04. Ingenue
    05. Stuck Together Pieces
    06. Unless
    07. And It Rained All Night
    08. Harrowdown Hill
    09. Dropped
    10. Cymbal Rush
    Encore:
    11. Skip Divided
    12. Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses
    13. Rabbit In Your Headlights
    14. Paperbag Writer
    15. Amok
    Encore2:
    16. Atoms For Peace
    17. Black Swan

ps Brooklyn show is starting at $9 on Stubhub!
    http://www.stubhub.com/atoms-for-pea...-2013-4261463/

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Ah fuck. I want to go to one of these shows.

Thom is getting to the age in which he needs teleprompters methinks.

I caught the Brooklyn show on Friday night and it was pretty stellar. Same setlist as Philly which is a little bit of a bummer, but I wrote all about it here.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

ending with Black Swan is a buzz kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    AFP (played from 9:22pm-11:02pm) was great last night! Stuck Together Pieces was incredible live just as I imagined but my favorite song was Rabbit in your Headlights. That song has been on my bucket list for years and the way Thom sang it worked perfectly Everyone was in a great mood and Thom introduced himself as Jay-Z and Flea as Beyonce haha. Only real mistake was Thom forgetting the lyrics during And it Rained All Night Don't miss James Holden set! Frat boys from Temple were talking and yelling, "turn the knobs!" but those who know his music will definitely enjoy it. He has a drummer with him and played for about 45 minutes
    Interesting, his set at Melt! had some dark and intense moments. He was really animated and aggressive but the crowd feed off of it - even had the Germans jumping around chanting during Unless. Stuck Together Pieces, Unless, Dropped and Amok were my favorites from AMOK

who is opening these shows?
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

James Holden, who is fucking awesome.

He was fucking awesome.

They should close with Harrowdown Hill.

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

They covered Marvin Gaye last night...

10/9/2013
    Pepsi Center WTC, Mexico City, Mexico

Before Your Very Eyes...
    The Clock
    (Thom Yorke song)
    Ingenue
    Stuck Together Pieces
    Unless
    And It Rained All Night
    (Thom Yorke song)
    Harrowdown Hill
    (Thom Yorke song)
    Dropped
    Cymbal Rush
    (Thom Yorke song)

Encore:
    Skip Divided
    (Thom Yorke song)
    Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses
    (Thom Yorke song)
    Rabbit in Your Headlights
    (UNKLE cover)
    Paperbag Writer
    (Radiohead cover)

Amok
    Encore 2:
    Got To Give Up
    (Marvin Gaye cover)
    Atoms for Peace
    (Thom Yorke song)
    Black Swan

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Ticketmaster has some GA tix for Santa Barbara Bowl show up right now.
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey

I'm currently watching their set from the Moody 2 days ago, and I feel I shouldn't really spoil it for myself but I can't turn away. If anyone is going to be at the SB show, I'd be down to meet up for some preshow beers
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio