Thread: Solar Equipment

Question Solar Equipment

Hello, I just had a quick question. I had emailed the coachella customer service but never received a reply back so hopefully someone can help me out here. I have a bunch of solar equipment that I really want to be able to bring with me to Weekend One. I have a campsite so I will be camping from Thursday to Monday and it would be awesome if I could have my solar equipment with me. I mainly would like to bring my solar generator, two solar panels, and some solar lighting. I know it said no generators, but my generator doesn't make any sound, has no emissions and would be really handy to have. Can someone please tell me if I should even bother bringing this stuff??

Default Re: Solar Equipment

you won't have any trouble getting this into camp. there are a lot of people with solar setups, some of them are quite elaborate! I just use 2 of the Goal Zero Escape 30 breifcase panels in tandem to charge 2 Goal Zero Escape 150 powerpacks, so my set up pretty simple.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Thank you!! I have the Goal Zero Yeti Solar Generator so I was just concerned because of its size and because it is a "generator" but if you are bringing in the Escape 150's I hopefully won't have a problem. (:

you're welcome! you'll totally be fine. the generator rule is more about the noise and the exhaust from traditional generators and the verbiage should probably be changed.

That yeti system is great! I would love to have one, but since I'm really just charging powerpacks, cell phones and running basic lighting it was a bit overkill.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

So it sounds like you haven't had any problems with theft or vandalism of your panels. Do you pack them away before you go into the fest or are you able to keep them out the entire time?

I have a bicycle lock and lock them to the rims of my car. I also camp with a rather large group and there's almost always someone at camp or soon to be at camp. plus I always have good relationships with my camp neighbors and we help each other out. that's why I like the Goal Zero stuff. it's easier to secure than DIY panels since they have handles to secure too.

sure, if someone has a hacksaw and 20 minutes, they can take off with my panels, but it only takes 5 seconds to smash my window and take them from my car so I figure having them out in the open -- and secured -- is actually safer than keeping them locked up and wasting all the sunlight.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014