Thread: GoPRO Question…..

Question GoPRO Question…..

I'm bringing my GoPRO this year to get some awesome pictures / footage…
    I have various mounts, but I want one of the GoPoles.. It extends up to 40" to get kind of a birds eye view.
    Problem is, its metal & about 17" when retracted to its smallest size.
    In the past 2 years, I've seen people with them in the crowd, but was wondering if security might hassle me about it.
    Has anyone has experience with bringing one of these in?
    Wondering if its going to be a problem….

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: GoPRO Question…..

Bringing in anything that's on the "no" list is always a crapshoot. Some security guards are more strict than others, and your experience from day to day getting through security will assredly be different. i've had days where they literally just waved me through with no pat-down or bag-check, and then the next day a security guard spend 4 minutes digging through my bag to throw away a granola bar. So, no easy answer.

I would be willing to be that a 17" metal pole is going to be a red flag in most cases though.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Your best bet would be working hard to get it in once and then store it in a locker all day. Or, ya know, worry more about the shows and less about how you are going to show your friends how much fun you had.

probs gonna lose it when i find you and snap that piece of shit over my knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega man View Post
    Anybody know where I can find pics of when Magnetic Man had the crowd sit down. That moment was epic

Sounds like an object that may annoy other festival goers as they try to enjoy themselves.
    Woodstock '94 and '99, Phish Fest '99, Moe. down '00, Gathering of the Vibes '00-'03, Rock the Bells '07, Sunset Strip Music Festival '11
    Coachella W2 2013, Bottle Rock Napa Valley 2013, Outside Lands 2013, Uproar Festival Chula Vista 2013, NIN @ Staples Center 8.11.2013
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014
    Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Bethel Woods 7.5.2014
    The Hudson Project 7.10-7.13.2014
    Motley Crue @ Chula Vista, CA 7.30.2014
    Outside Lands 8.8-8.10.2014
    NIN and Soundgarden @ Chula Vista, CA 8.21.2014

I'm not trying to annoy any festival goers, nor show anyone "how much fun I had" haha - I'm a film editor & just love editing our cool trips together, rather than making a photo album. Hopefully someone who's had experience with mounting their GoPro might see this & have some legitimate advice. But thanks, guys.

The legitimate device is if you try hard enough you will eventually get it through security once. Then keep it in a locker over night so you don't have to go through the process each day.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    The legitimate device is if you try hard enough you will eventually get it through security once. Then keep it in a locker over night so you don't have to go through the process each day.
    Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna try to do... Once I get it in, keep it in. I never thought about getting a locker, but that seems like an awesome idea thanks!

Just shove it in your pants and tell them you're well endowed.

until that thing obstructs one second of anything even near my peripherals and i karate chop it into thirds
    Anybody know where I can find pics of when Magnetic Man had the crowd sit down. That moment was epic

Two words: retractable penis mount.

you wont be aloud with it in because someone got stabbed with one last year. this year they aren't allowing any type of poles or totems.

I see a few people every year who sneak in metal/plastic poles, so it's definitely possible, as mentioned above you just have to find a cool security guard who doesn't search too hard, try to scope it out a bit before you pick a line.

Anyone see the guy with a weird baby doll attached to a poll/wrapped in christmas lights? Odd.

Also, I think a tiny little gopro will be far less invasive then people sitting on each others shoulders and waving flags and stuff around, so you have my approval, as long as you're not that guy standing still in the middle of the crowd, getting upset when people bump into you haha.

Quote Originally Posted by grind View Post
    I see a few people every year who sneak in metal/plastic poles, so it's definitely possible, as mentioned above you just have to find a cool security guard who doesn't search too hard, try to scope it out a bit before you pick a line.

Anyone see the guy with a weird baby doll attached to a poll/wrapped in christmas lights? Odd.

Also, I think a tiny little gopro will be far less invasive then people sitting on each others shoulders and waving flags and stuff around, so you have my approval, as long as you're not that guy standing still in the middle of the crowd, getting upset when people bump into you haha.

haha! I DO remember that guy with the baby wrapped in christmas lights… so random! yeah, I'll just see what I can get in with… I can't decide which to bring… Definitely not going to be anything big & bulky… its a GoPRO for goodness sake… But I am fully aware that I'm going to be bumped into & shimmying my way through crowds, so I'm fully prepared to be in a fantastic mood regardless. IT'S COACHELLAAAA!

we'll see how good of a mood you're in when i stone cold stunner your cute little pole to smithereens

Quote Originally Posted by ELIZA83TH View Post
    haha! I DO remember that guy with the baby wrapped in christmas lights… so random! yeah, I'll just see what I can get in with… I can't decide which to bring… Definitely not going to be anything big & bulky… its a GoPRO for goodness sake… But I am fully aware that I'm going to be bumped into & shimmying my way through crowds, so I'm fully prepared to be in a fantastic mood regardless. IT'S COACHELLAAAA!
    Sounds like you'll be fine Good luck on your ventures!

Why not just GoENJOY the music, instead of fucking annoying the concert goers who are going to have their view obstructed. If you want to take good pics, get a photographers pass. I'm gonna toss water at your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Why not just GoENJOY the music, instead of fucking annoying the concert goers who are going to have their view obstructed. If you want to take good pics, get a photographers pass. I'm gonna toss water at your camera.
    It is waterproof...

Those people that think a GoPro is going to obstruct their view are trippin.

They are tiny, especially the Hero3. Even if it is attached to a pole, you don't have to worry about obstruction.

You can always move one step to your right or left too.
    Last edited by SepaGroove; 02-18-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Those people that think a GoPro is going to obstruct their view are trippin.

They are tiny, especially the Hero3. Even if it is attached to a pole, you don't have to worry about obstruction.

You can always move one step to your right or left too.
    PRECISELY.

I guess it would be ridiculous if the pole was too long though.

the rule is there for good reason. a lot of festivals allow totems, flags, or whatever and it's annoying to a lot of concert goers. some people like to hang in the back and being able to see a clear view of the stage is a terrific experience. it's a rule to improve the overall experience for everyone watching the show and you're being shortsighted when you say things like "well just move". there are a lot of people at coachella and they're just trying to maximize the experience for everyone.

that being said i'm going to set that thing on fire if i see it at japandroids.

Quote Originally Posted by waterandcoffee View Post
    the rule is there for good reason. a lot of festivals allow totems, flags, or whatever and it's annoying to a lot of concert goers. some people like to hang in the back and being able to see a clear view of the stage is a terrific experience. it's a rule to improve the overall experience for everyone watching the show and you're being shortsighted when you say things like "well just move". there are a lot of people at coachella and they're just trying to maximize the experience for everyone.

that being said i'm going to set that thing on fire if i see it at japandroids.
    You're right, flags, totems, etc. do block the stage. But a GoPro attached to a skinny pole doesn't.

The camera itself (small enough to hold in the palm of your hand):

The camera attached to a pole (I've seen them attached to even skinnier/smaller poles than this):

And I will be at Japandroids with my camera (not attached to a pole) and you won't do anything.
    Last edited by SepaGroove; 02-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.

OP...