As a songwriter Pandora paid me $16.89* for 1,159,000 play of "Low" last quarter.

Soon you will be hearing from Pandora how they need Congress to change the way royalties are calculated so that they can pay much much less to songwriters and performers. You see webcasting rates are "compulsory" rates. They are set by the government (crazy, right?). Further since they are compulsory royalties songwriters can not "opt out" of a service like Pandora even if they think Pandora doesn't pay them enough. This is already a government mandated subsidy from songwriters to Silicon Valley.

Here's an idea. Why doesn't Pandora get off the couch and get an actual business model instead of asking for a handout from congress and artists? For instance: Right now Pandora plays one minute of commercials an hour on their free service. Play two minutes of commercials and double your revenue! (Sirius XM plays 13 minutes and charges a subscription).

I urge all artists to post their royalty statements and show just how terrible webcasters pay.

* (I only own 40% of the song, the rest of the band owns the other 60% so actually amount paid to songwriters multiply by 2.5)

** to compare Sirius XM paid me $181.00

*** also terrestrial radio US paid me $1,522.00 with Stephanie Lowery.

1044080_10151696140762402_1903986882_n.jpg