Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Phoenix's album be done in time?

old school

Default Re: Will Phoenix's album be done in time?

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Bumblebee, to establish how fucking stupid your question is, let's assume for the sake of argument that the answer is "no." No, Phoenix will not be able "to full [sic] entertain the other 60K people there, which is 75% of those who bought passes." So what, then? What is the point of asking the question?

Will people riot? Go home early? Go see what's on the other stages instead? Not buy passes next year?

What, quite literally, is the point of your endless concern trolling about who "deserves" to headline and what the respective audience count was at various headlining sets at Coachella and other festivals over the years?
    I'm curious what album promo Phoenix do before the festival beyond the single.

How Paul plans the schedule for Saturday evening. Add another last minute headliner(yeah right) if Lolla and Bonaroo top liners are a killer poker hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I hope fans at Coachella get more than the single and Vanouver audience shot video in which to judge the set.
    Wait, what? Bands are expected to release live performance videos of songs before playing them on a full tour now?

Phoenix sold out Madison Square Garden almost three years ago (I believe). I generally take that as a sign a band is ready to headline a festival. And having seen them a number of times over the last ten years, they put on a hell of a show (which wasn't the case at first).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    Where were you in 1998? Tool has been one of the biggest bands in the world for the last 15 years.
    Well in 1998 I was ten but even in 06 when 10,000 days came out I only recall The Pot getting any sort of regular radio play. And for the record I never said Tool wasn't one of the biggest bands in the world. All I said was that I thought Wolfgang Amadeus was a bigger success then any Tool album which was already proven wrong and I accept that. My original point I was trying to make before you called me retarded was just because a band is more popular doesn't mean they have a stronger catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Well in 1998 I was ten but even in 06 when 10,000 days came out I only recall The Pot getting any sort of regular radio play. And for the record I never said Tool wasn't one of the biggest bands in the world. All I said was that I thought Wolfgang Amadeus was a bigger success then any Tool album which was already proven wrong and I accept that. My original point I was trying to make before you called me retarded was just because a band is more popular doesn't mean they have a stronger catalog.
    You need give the album Ænima a spin.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by eudaemonia View Post
    The non-pro videos are fun, too (I am guessing this is why they're playing Vancouver first this Spring):

woahhh that would be so nuts

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Yeah I went to the billboard charts to prove that Phoenix is the bigger commercial success, but data doesn't lie.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Well this thread went somewhere else.

I just think a headliner has more of a responsibility to do songs that their casual fans know because of the large audience. That's possibly selfish of me but it's what I'm accustomed to. This isn't The Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Glasshouse performing to die hard fans. This is Phoenix performing to 45,000+ people where almost 20,000 have only heard their last album. But if they heard their last album and this album that would be at least half of the playlist. That's all I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    Yeah I went to the billboard charts to prove that Phoenix is the bigger commercial success, but data doesn't lie.
    Except you're comparing an album band's success during an era when people bought shitloads of CDs with a singles band's success in the mp3 era. It's only one measure of popularity, and a limited one at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Well this thread went somewhere else.

I just think a headliner has more of a responsibility to do songs that their casual fans know because of the large audience. That's possibly selfish of me but it's what I'm accustomed to. This isn't The Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Glasshouse performing to die hard fans. This is Phoenix performing to 45,000+ people where almost 20,000 have only heard their last album. But if they heard their last album and this album that would be at least half of the playlist. That's all I'm saying.
    I'd expect four or five songs from the first three albums (these songs are way more familiar than people realize), five or six songs from Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, and another six songs from the new album. It will be a balanced set.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I'd expect four or five songs from the first three albums (these songs are way more familiar than people realize), five or six songs from Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, and another six songs from the new album. It will be a balanced set.

How do you think the crowd will react to those 6 songs? Not everyone is music nerds like us so I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the audience for them haven't heard the songs before the 2nd weekend. And maybe some during weekend 2 will hear some but still not a big amount.

And I like Phoenix and think they will put on a great show. I just couldn't imagine how hype I would be if Plastic Beach came out after Coachella. I already had 5 different favorite songs by then
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    If Phoenix didn't deserve to headline Saturday night they wouldn't be headlining.

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?
    Because it's a fucking stupid concept that assumes GV is infallible.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    The only thing that matters is Goldenvoice believes they are ready to headline the festival.
    I'm sure there were plenty of dumbfucks using the same line to defend Jack Johnson.

Band/audience/promoters seem to be eyeing a transition to arena/headliner type status.
    I can't think of another "headliner" in Coachella history that would be such a weak draw in Portland that they'd not only be relegated to the 1500 capacity Crystal Ballroom, but it would actually take four days for them to sell out that living room.

Oh wait, I can think of two more. Blur and The Stone Roses.

The three of them combined couldn't sell out the Rose Garden if they played a triple bill, and yet they're "headliners."

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Phoenix sold out Madison Square Garden almost three years ago (I believe). I generally take that as a sign a band is ready to headline a festival.
    Selling out a single show in an arena in a metropolitan area of 20 million people isn't a sign of anything. It's not that difficult. If you're looking for a sign, look for a band that can sell out arenas in Milwaukee, Kansas City, and Raleigh.

I'd expect four or five songs from the first three albums (these songs are way more familiar than people realize)
    Familiar to who? What exactly do you think is preventing "people" from "realizing" how familiar they are?

They're familiar songs that have been around forever, but that casual fans or people who came on board with the last album might not instantly recognize as being Phoenix songs. It's not a revolutionary fucking concept.

They're familiar songs that have been around forever, but that casual fans or people who came on board with the last album might not instantly recognize as being Phoenix songs. It's not a revolutionary fucking concept.
    Not revolutionary, just stupid given that songs off their first three albums never got squat for airplay or had any significant exposure in the US at all.

Or maybe you're anticipating 40,000 people all having that A-HA moment simultaneously Saturday night when they realize that one Phoenix song they heard for 10 seconds on Six Feet Under 10 years ago is so familiar.

mr hand doesn't like phoenix.

numbers numbers numbers jizz

How do you think the crowd will react to those 6 songs? Not everyone is music nerds like us so I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the audience for them haven't heard the songs before the 2nd weekend.
    If the songs are good the crowd will react favorably. If they are bad they will react unfavorably. Kind of like how a listener reacts when listening to a cd for the first time, but with the benefit of Coachella mainstage's soundsystem, light show, and crowd energy.

If an album is great it will be great live, if it is decent it will be good live, if it is bad it will be awful live.

Except you're comparing an album band's success during an era when people bought shitloads of CDs with a singles band's success in the mp3 era. It's only one measure of popularity, and a limited one at that.
    This is completely legitimate. It is very difficult to judge commercial success these days.
    Last edited by thagorillaz; 02-14-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Not revolutionary, just stupid given that songs off their first three albums never got squat for airplay or had any significant exposure in the US at all.

Or maybe you're anticipating 40,000 people all having that A-HA moment simultaneously Saturday night when they realize that one Phoenix song they heard for 10 seconds on Six Feet Under 10 years ago is so familiar.
    Yes, the point I am making is a stupid, maximalist one. Any more strawmen that you'd care to demolish while you work on your cutting edge peanut butter crew comedy?

How do you think the crowd will react to those 6 songs? Not everyone is music nerds like us so I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the audience for them haven't heard the songs before the 2nd weekend. And maybe some during weekend 2 will hear some but still not a big amount.

And I like Phoenix and think they will put on a great show. I just couldn't imagine how hype I would be if Plastic Beach came out after Coachella. I already had 5 different favorite songs by then
    I'd be surprised by six songs from a new album if that album isn't out yet. Their last tour was really heavy on songs from the two most recent albums - ie, maximizing the stuff people would recognize. They don't play much from the first couple albums at all, and I genuinely think they consider what the majority of people will react well to with their setlists.

Or alternatively: I was with a number of Phoenix doubters at their set in 2010. All were converted. I think you'll have a good time.

I've been a Phoenix fan from day one, but I think you're overstating their reach. Nobody's gonna recognize If I Ever Feel Better if they don't know it's a Phoenix song. But they'll still have a good time, because it's an awesome song.

If they just play the exact same setlist as 2010 - we'll all be happy!

You know what else isn't a revolutionary concept? That someone who spent $300+ on a concert ticket would take the time to research the bands they plan to watch perform. It's not that hard. Every douche on my facebook feed seems to be on Spotify.

Plus, if "Long Distance Call" (admittedly one of the bigger non-Wolfgang songs) got this solid a reaction in 2010, we should all be fine with 3 more years under our belt.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Wait, what? Bands are expected to release live performance videos of songs before playing them on a full tour now?

Phoenix sold out Madison Square Garden almost three years ago (I believe). I generally take that as a sign a band is ready to headline a festival.
    The Flaming Lips sold out MSG too, but they won't headline Coachella.

There's a legitimate question of how fans will react to a headliner playing a big chunk of material the audience has never heard. How many fans will search out audience clips on youtube or hope the labum leaks early?

Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    If the songs are good the crowd will react favorably. If they are bad they will react unfavorably. Kind of like how a listener reacts when listening to a cd for the first time, but with the benefit of Coachella mainstage's soundsystem, light show, and crowd energy.
    If an album is great it will be great live, if it is decent it will be good live, if it is bad it will be awful live.
    I saw Beck get BOOED playing material from Odelely for the 2nd ever time at Lollapalooza months before the album came out. I guess the songs were no good. Tons of times I've changed my opinion on an album after first listen. I saw a 2008 Oasis arena gig where they did 5 songs that hadn't leaked yet and the crowd were bored. Must be bad songs and a bad album.

I can't think of another "headliner" in Coachella history that would be such a weak draw in Portland that they'd not only be relegated to the 1500 capacity Crystal Ballroom, but it would actually take four days for them to sell out that living room.

Oh wait, I can think of two more. Blur and The Stone Roses.

The three of them combined couldn't sell out the Rose Garden if they played a triple bill, and yet they're "headliners."
    Massive Attack/Verve did Key Arena circa 1998/99. SR/Blur are both a US exclusive it's also a world exclusive back to back.

What I find interesting about Phoenix is there might be almost a half dozen acts on the lineup that are not top line that could sell about as many tickets in many markets.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Oasis material released 2008 and beyond was terrible.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Facebook:

MONDAY... 7:00 pm GMT... RADIO ONE...ZANE LOWE...WORLD PREMIERE!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensWeep View Post
    You know what else isn't a revolutionary concept? That someone who spent $300+ on a concert ticket would take the time to research the bands they plan to watch perform. It's not that hard. Every douche on my facebook feed seems to be on Spotify.

Plus, if "Long Distance Call" (admittedly one of the bigger non-Wolfgang songs) got this solid a reaction in 2010, we should all be fine with 3 more years under our belt.
    The crowd is rather dead in this video, except the first 5 seconds.

SR/Blur are both a US exclusive it's also a world exclusive back to back.
    Yippeeeeeeeeee! No one else in America gets to experience such exclusive boredom back to back! Imagine all the bragging you can do on FaceTwitterInstaTumblr when you rub that in their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    Oasis material released 2008 and beyond was terrible.
    Don't need the qualifiers. It's all fucking terrible.

Does mrhand like any British bands?
    Let me guess he only likes Radiohead.

old school

The last Strokes gig in Portland was at the 1,400 Roseland Ballroom back in 2006. *

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

This whole thing about fans not being able to handle hearing new songs in a concert by a band they love is incredibly fucking stupid. Do you idiots not go to any concerts? This is not a strange or inconceivable occurrence by any stretch of the imagination.

The casual music fan is actually much more likely to be highly entertained by new songs that they can't sing along with every word to than the diehard music dork is. People will be excited to hear new material. Shut the fuck up.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Does mrhand like any British bands?
    PulpBlurStoneRosesOasis are an indistinguishable pile of laughably terrible bland liquid shit. Unless you were a 13-year old girl when Wonderwall came out, you have no excuse.

The last Strokes gig in Portland was at the 1,400 Roseland Ballroom back in 2006. *
    Had the Strokes headlined in 2006, you might have a fair comparison. It was 5 years later, try again.

I like Phoenix, but the odds of their new album being amazing enough to justify a headlining slot are about 100/1. Hope they prove me wrong, but I'm guessing it'll be a complete waste of the main stage headline slot, just like Friday and Sunday nights already are.