Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Indie103.1 vs KROQ at Coachella

Default Indie103.1 vs KROQ at Coachella

Sooo Indie 103.1, the only station in L.A. with real integrity, the only station that actually plays the bands from Coachella, and is barred from being within 200 feet of Coachella. What kind of Bull Shit is this KROQ? Goldenvoice needs to step it up and partner with a legitimate station.

KROQ Sucks Balls
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Indie103.1 vs KROQ at Coachella

enlighten those of us, who are not from California. I thought KROQ was an ok station. Hell, the couple times I have been to California I heard excellent things on their station. Better then any thing I had in Las Vegas or my current home of Denver. I heard Arcade Fire for the first time on KROQ so it can't be that bad. But then again I am not from California so I could be wrong. Also, I barely listen to radio anymore unless it's NPR.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Kroq plays Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Linkin Park, Sick Puppies, Chevelle they now play the new Good Charlette, My Chemical Romance (all though 1 out of 4 songs usually is something really good

Indie plays Arcade Fire, The Shins, Muse, NIN. Iggy Pop, Ratatat, Interpol, The Rapture, Kings of Leon and almost all the coachella bands

Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    enlighten those of us, who are not from California. I thought KROQ was an ok station. Hell, the couple times I have been to California I heard excellent things on their station. Better then any thing I had in Las Vegas or my current home of Denver. I heard Arcade Fire for the first time on KROQ so it can't be that bad. But then again I am not from California so I could be wrong. Also, I barely listen to radio anymore unless it's NPR.
    Indie 103.1 in Los Angeles plays a great range of Indie/Punk/New Wave/Goth/Rock... i.e. David Bowie, Iggy Pop, The Clash, Gang Of Four,The Damned, Interpol, Bauhaus, The Cult, The Hellacopters, Arcade Fire, The Sword, Nick Cave, The Ramones, Madness, The Weirdos, X, Black Flag, Devo, etc.

They were playing Editors, TV On The Radio , Peter Bjorn & John, Amy Winehouse, Silversun Pickups and other great bands, 4-6 months before KROQ knew what the hell was going on.
    3 steps from the bar... 2 steps from the floor... one step from the grave... and I'm havin' one more!

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet artie View Post
    Indie 103.1 in Los Angeles plays a great range of Indie/Punk/New Wave/Goth/Rock... i.e. David Bowie, Iggy Pop, The Clash, Gang Of Four,The Damned, Interpol, Bauhaus, The Cult, The Hellacopters, Arcade Fire, The Sword, Nick Cave, The Ramones, Madness, The Weirdos, X, Black Flag, Devo, etc.

They were playing Editors, TV On The Radio , Peter Bjorn & John, Amy Winehouse, Silversun Pickups and other great bands, 4-6 months before KROQ knew what the hell was going on.
    Hai! Domo!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    Kroq plays Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Linkin Park, Sick Puppies, Chevelle they now play the new Good Charlette, My Chemical Romance (all though 1 out of 4 songs usually is something really good

Indie plays Arcade Fire, The Shins, Muse, NIN. Iggy Pop, Ratatat, Interpol, The Rapture, Kings of Leon and almost all the coachella bands
    what brycerosen said.

KROQ was listenable 20 years ago, but now it's just a steaming pile of corporate radio kangaroo poo pretending to be something else.

To put in simple terms, Indie plays most of what KROQ is to afraid to play. KROQ has become more of the "poppy" sound in rock over the past few years. Both stations do share a small pool of artists but for the most part they differ because KROQ has more mainstream acts.

KROQ lost me when they started playing Guns n Roses and Metallica..... Kevin and Bean are still funny, Rodney plays good music, but the rest of the station is just plain shite.

Rodney should go to indie, kroq only plays him for like an hour sundays at midnight

Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

i bet both those Cali stations kick the Phoenix stations' asses...i live in PHX and had upgrade to satellite to get good indie stations.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Hai! Domo!
    "Hai Domo"

Uhhhhh... QUE??!!
    3 steps from the bar... 2 steps from the floor... one step from the grave... and I'm havin' one more!

Banned

i listen to sirius only. get so much diversity on the satellite. normal radio is horrbile.. sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    i listen to sirius only. get so much diversity on the satellite. normal radio is horrbile.. sorry...
    ALL radio EXCEPT Indie 103.1!

Quote Originally Posted by sweet artie View Post
    ALL radio EXCEPT Indie 103.1!
    word

Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Rodney should go to indie, kroq only plays him for like an hour sundays at midnight
    I grew up in SoCal and since the early '80s Rodney on the ROQ has always been in that timeslot.I think he likes it by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Do you want to continue talking about Lizards?

Yea man, fucking KROQ is shite, I never listen to it unless I have to. Indie 1031 owns the hell out of them. Overall show quality, they got all the genres covered, and covered damn well. Smash mix with Paul V, Crystal Method Community service, Passport Approved, TK, and of course, good ol' Steve Jones (The Sex Pistols) with the Jukebox.

Indie would make a great switch over station sponsor for next year GV! :P

As said earlier, Indie is putting out the latest new local/indie stuff way before k-roq (if they even play it at all).

And they're the damn station sponsor, and the only bands kroq has ever played from this year's Coachella lineup are:

Interpol
    Arctic Monkeys
    Sonic Youth (They don't play them like they use to..)
    Circa Survive
    Silversun Pikcups (about a year after Indie was already playing stuff from their EP Pikul)
    RHCP
    Arcade Fire (rarely)
    Kings of Leon
    RATM
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Damien Rice....

Maybe PB&J & The Kooks, not sure these days... too much kroq makes meh ears bleed =(

They use to be pretty chill back in the day, but they have gotten so mainstreamed out and repetitive.....

Loveline is funny when your cruising in the car high though lol >_<

P.S., Props to 89.9 KCRW!

there is one problem...i'm guessing indie is poor compared to kroq. if indie was a sponsor then tickets would probably cost more, which means a lot more bitching on this here board. in '04 indie flew a plane over the festival with a banner that read something like "shhh, you didn't see us here--Indie103.1". i thought that was pretty funny.

Yea it is true, Kroq has the $$$ (CBS owns them I think?). Indie is a fairly new station, Dec 2003 in fact. But they have gotten up in the ranks pretty quick, and have a lot of good co-sponsors on board.

Though, I have no idea how much money is needed from certain sponsors to make the tickets more affordable so...

I'm guess it is a lot. By look at Festivals like Lollapalooza and their crazy mass media shit everywhere, it is no wonder tickets are so much cheaper.

i live in tulsa and listen to indie 103.1 online every day at work. a friend of my moved out to l.a. and turned me on to the station. tulsa has a station that tries to play "alternative" music, but just can't seem to get away from the nickelbackhindersaliva bands. it appears that they sound like what everyone is saying kroq sounds like.
    Last edited by dioscorides; 04-05-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    2005 2006 2007 2008 2010 2013(w1)
    last.fm | instagram

kcrw> indie 103.1 >kroq

indie 103.1

im sad. i dont get 103.1 where im at. only kroq.

vinylmartyr

KROQ has better shows than Indie. I can spin the same records in my room. I can just listen to a spork mix or something.
    Last edited by vinylmartyr; 04-05-2007 at 10:14 AM.

vinylmartyr

I would not depend on either to turn me on to new music.

It does not get worse than that douche bag "Stryker", the other day I was tuning the stations and all of a sudden I heard TVOTR's "wolf like me" on KROQ and Stryker referred to them as a "brand new up and coming band" with their "brand new single", he said "I've never heard of them before, they are pretty rocking, everybody go check them out at the Fonda!"...completely shameless
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

seriously....why are you guys still listening to regular radio? get sirius or xm

vinylmartyr

Yeah the DJ's suck at both stations. Just listen to Bryan or Andrews shows. Or even that OMG WTF BBQ. He played a bunch of cool prog stuff the other day.

vinylmartyr

I only listen to NPR. I don't listen to music on the radio unless i'm in someones car.

Sooo Indie 103.1, the only station in L.A. with real integrity, the only station that actually plays the bands from Coachella, and is barred from being within 200 feet of Coachella. What kind of Bull Shit is this KROQ? Goldenvoice needs to step it up and partner with a legitimate station.

KROQ Sucks Balls
    Are you kidding? I don't like KROQ any more than you do, but you're fooling yourself if you think that Indie 103.1 is "the only station in L.A. with real integrity." Indie was great when it was first on air -- very few commercials, interesting DJs, interesting music. But slowly and surely, it is making its way towards the middle. With the addition of promotional tie-ins (can you say Helio, don't call it a phone?) and incessantly obnoxious radio commercials (I'm sure Jonsey really shops at Toyota of Huntington Beach or whatever), Indie is slowly selling its soul to big business.

Indie isn't bad when you consider all the Clear Channel crap out there, but there are also better stations in LA. KCRW and KXLU come to mind, but I'm sure there are others as well.

vinylmartyr

Goldenvoice needs to step it up and partner with a legitimate station.
    Oh and KROQ is not a sponsor of Coachella. I don't know what you mean by partner.

vinylmartyr

Coachella is advertised everywhere.