Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Soberchella 2013

Default Re: Soberchella 2013

I stopped drinking on Valentine's Day 1988, because my boyfriend stood me up for a Valentine's date because he was so smashed he passed out at his house. During the next 7 years together (6 of which we lived together) he still drank and got DUIs. When we broke up he spent time in jail for DUI hit and run. He called me up on July 4, 1999, to make amends - probably a court-ordered AA group. I told him to never contact me again, and he never has. Thank My Higher Power. It is amazing how alcoholics affect so many people around them.

Well said, Gaypalm. So tell these douches there's little point to get down on people who are trying to get better.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

agreed. my father drinks and drives like it's his fucking job. can't tell you guys how many phone calls i've had from him at two in the morning telling me he's a failure and he's going to kill himself, quickly followed by a cop jumping on the phone saying, 'your dad will be in (insert city jail here).

He just got popped for his third DUI.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Bitter and sweet story, Bob. Glad you had a chance for some closure.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

You guyz are so cool sharing your stupid and sad stories on the Coachella Forum, it's Coachella. Fucking party.
    Drink beer, smoke weed, drop shrooms, take acid.

ENGAGE IN PEER PRESSURE AND JUDGMENT OF PEOPLE WHO EXPERIENCE THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU

11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

Or not, Apache. Do what makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheRunner View Post
    You guyz are so cool sharing your stupid and sad stories on the Coachella Forum, it's Coachella. Fucking party.
    i plan on doing all of those things but shitting on someone for realizing a fault and trying to correct it is pretty much the definition of being a total fuckwad.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

09-10-11-12-13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    ...you will usually hear House music at a HOUSE (thus the name), Drum and Bass can be played anywhere and requires both a DRUM and a BASS in the song to be apart of the DnB genre, where EDM music stands for European Digital Music and really doesn't need an explanation because everyone knows what that sounds like.
    "No, No, you're not thinking - You're just being Logical" - Neils Bohr

Quote Originally Posted by fredbull View Post
    Excited to join in this year!
    We're really excited to have you!
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan0027 View Post
    It is more than that. I don't think any of the people that participate in the meetings are in danger of drinking. But what has happened over the past years is people staying in touch through out the year, and becoming friends.
    Very well said!

Q: Do AA people feel tempted to get fucked up at Coachella and so they need a meeting to "stay strong?"
    A: It's different for everyone. My first attempt at sobriety (2005) I stayed home from Coachella because I had way too much fun being drunk and high at Coachella 2004, and thought I should say away. Since I relapsed and got sober again in '05 (which probably had nothing to do with Coachella and a whole lot to do with the fact that I wasn't "done" yet), i've come to Coachella every year and have not felt the urge to get fucked up. I don't need to "stay strong," because the 12 steps kind of rearranged my thought process a little bit so I don't have the urge to be self destructive anymore. It's pretty great, actually.

Q: Are the 12 steps some brainwashy shit?
    A: Well, kind of. But in the best way possible. Basically they just teach you to 1) stop trying to control your sobriety, because your best thinking gets you drunk over and over again, historically speaking 2) admit your faults to yourself and someone you trust who's neutral and helpful 3) keep trying to grow spiritually, whatever form that takes for you 4) go help other people out as much as possible.
    Doesn't sound too illuminati, does it? My brain needed that kind of washing.

Q: So you're all into God and Jesus or Buddha or whatever?
    A: Not all of us, not by any means. I'm actually pretty staunchly agnostic. But I pray a lot, just like scientists do a lot of tests about things that they know nothing about. It's free and it makes me feel good.

Q: Does AA just shame you into feeling bad about yourself, forcing you to "surrender" and admit that you are weak?
    A: When I was drinking I was about as shameful as possible. Since I got sober I've grown tons of self respect and dignity. You do the math. Admitting that there are some things I'm good at and some things I'm not so good at? To me that just feels like growing up and getting a little wiser.

Q: So AA people just drink a lot of coffee and smoke cigarettes and bitch about things?
    A: Some do. I don't really hang out with those people. I quit smoking in 07. I drink one cup of coffee a day. I stopped fucking with the energy drinks a long time ago. And bitching about stuff makes me feel kinda gross so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Q: Do people have to do AA if they want to get sober?
    A: No. Not at all. In fact, it's definitely not for everyone.

Q: Do AAs dislike/judge/avoid/talk shit on people who get drunk and high?
    A: I would hope not. Not only would that be hypocritical as fuck, but personally I find my loadie friends to be pretty fun. And I'm glad that AA has put my in a position of neutrality with respect to drugs/drinking so I can enjoy them and laugh at their bullshit without feeling like I have to go out, imitate them, but then take partying way too far to the extent that I fuck up my life.

TL;DR version: omg we love you, we don't care if you get high, we're not doing this offend anyone, live and let live. If you feel like you have to say something obnoxious in this thread to get a laugh / increase your post count / be wacky, then...okay. Rock on. If you just have a bad opinion of AA, that's cool too. I think everyone should be given the dignity of having their own opinions.

Love Joseph, cofounder of the soberchella group, sober since 05, music fan and general average dude
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Can we get a William Hurt/Heal rating in here?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Q: Do AA people feel tempted to get fucked up at Coachella and so they need a meeting to "stay strong?"
    A: It's different for everyone. My first attempt at sobriety (2005) I stayed home from Coachella because I had way too much fun being drunk and high at Coachella 2004, and thought I should say away. Since I relapsed and got sober again in '05 (which probably had nothing to do with Coachella and a whole lot to do with the fact that I wasn't "done" yet), i've come to Coachella every year and have not felt the urge to get fucked up. I don't need to "stay strong," because the 12 steps kind of rearranged my thought process a little bit so I don't have the urge to be self destructive anymore. It's pretty great, actually.

Q: Are the 12 steps some brainwashy shit?
    A: Well, kind of. But in the best way possible. Basically they just teach you to 1) stop trying to control your sobriety, because your best thinking gets you drunk over and over again, historically speaking 2) admit your faults to yourself and someone you trust who's neutral and helpful 3) keep trying to grow spiritually, whatever form that takes for you 4) go help other people out as much as possible.
    Doesn't sound too illuminati, does it? My brain needed that kind of washing.

Q: So you're all into God and Jesus or Buddha or whatever?
    A: Not all of us, not by any means. I'm actually pretty staunchly agnostic. But I pray a lot, just like scientists do a lot of tests about things that they know nothing about. It's free and it makes me feel good.

Q: Does AA just shame you into feeling bad about yourself, forcing you to "surrender" and admit that you are weak?
    A: When I was drinking I was about as shameful as possible. Since I got sober I've grown tons of self respect and dignity. You do the math. Admitting that there are some things I'm good at and some things I'm not so good at? To me that just feels like growing up and getting a little wiser.

Q: So AA people just drink a lot of coffee and smoke cigarettes and bitch about things?
    A: Some do. I don't really hang out with those people. I quit smoking in 07. I drink one cup of coffee a day. I stopped fucking with the energy drinks a long time ago. And bitching about stuff makes me feel kinda gross so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Q: Do people have to do AA if they want to get sober?
    A: No. Not at all. In fact, it's definitely not for everyone.

Q: Do AAs dislike/judge/avoid/talk shit on people who get drunk and high?
    A: I would hope not. Not only would that be hypocritical as fuck, but personally I find my loadie friends to be pretty fun. And I'm glad that AA has put my in a position of neutrality with respect to drugs/drinking so I can enjoy them and laugh at their bullshit without feeling like I have to go out, imitate them, but then take partying way too far to the extent that I fuck up my life.

TL;DR version: omg we love you, we don't care if you get high, we're not doing this offend anyone, live and let live. If you feel like you have to say something obnoxious in this thread to get a laugh / increase your post count / be wacky, then...okay. Rock on. If you just have a bad opinion of AA, that's cool too. I think everyone should be given the dignity of having their own opinions.

Love Joseph, cofounder of the soberchella group, sober since 05, music fan and general average dude
    Awesome Joseph. Thank you for addressing that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I stopped drinking on Valentine's Day 1988, because my boyfriend stood me up for a Valentine's date because he was so smashed he passed out at his house. During the next 7 years together (6 of which we lived together) he still drank and got DUIs. When we broke up he spent time in jail for DUI hit and run. He called me up on July 4, 1999, to make amends - probably a court-ordered AA group. I told him to never contact me again, and he never has. Thank My Higher Power. It is amazing how alcoholics affect so many people around them.
    Thanks for telling us that!
    Oh, and I give you permission to flirt with Kory all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Cool beans!

I just realized in 3 days it will be 25 years since that Valentine's Day. Sheesh - I'm getting old. I hope Ron cr*** never ever leaves this board.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    i plan on doing all of those things but shitting on someone for realizing a fault and trying to correct it is pretty much the definition of being a total fuckwad.
    Yep. Let's criticise those who seek help and support for their shortcomings.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

More power to you!
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Do we all get permission to flirt with Kory all we want? I mean, I love my gf, but flirting with Kory is just so titillating...
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Do we all get permission to flirt with Kory all we want? I mean, I love my gf, but flirting with Kory is just so titillating...
    Oh yes. Flirt away. I won't deprive you of any titillation.

Can't wait to see everyone again. Surprised to see this thread at 2 pages already! Thanks trolls!
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    If you're addicted to something, don't put yourself in a situation where you're going to tempted. Alcoholics aren't required to attend music festivals.
    What the fuck is your problem? Go castrate yourself with a dull butter knife you ignorant, condescending piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheRunner View Post
    Very well said Apache.

Sonny: Man this Yoohoo is good, you know what else is good, smoking dope. I ain't gonna rat you out. You know, puffing the cheeba, go by the see saw smoke a j. You know what I'm talking about?
    Jared: I have a belly button.
    Sonny: You have a belly button, well we all have belly buttons. You know what? We all love Yoohoo, especially Yoohoo with a little rum.
    Jared: What's rum?
    Sonny: You don't know what Rum is?
    Jared: Rumplestilskin?
    Sonny: Rumplestilskin's a good man. So are you guys. Hey, stay clean, stay focused, stay strong. Frankenstein, have fun with your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    What the fuck is your problem? Go castrate yourself with a dull butter knife you ignorant, condescending piece of shit.
    F'real

The 'dont put yourself in that position' argument only works if the person you're presenting it to relapsed and is blaming someone other than themselves.

Perhaps I was being insensitive. I'll try harder not to judge what other people, whom I'll probably never meet, are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Perhaps I was being insensitive. I'll try harder not to judge what other people, whom I'll probably never meet, are doing.
    I think your point was pretty valid. Most addicts I know don't go into grocery stores. Or even have a bank account. Why put themselves in a situation where they might cave to temptation?

11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

^ I love Cara!

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I think your point was pretty valid. Most addicts I know don't go into grocery stores. Or even have a bank account. Why put themselves in a situation where they might cave to temptation?
    I think a music festival where everyone is doing drugs and drinking is a little different than a grocery store.