Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Advice on Starting a Festival

  1. #31
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,004

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Llama why won't you say what town you are talking about? Is it college station? Cuz if you're talking Beaumont you're fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  2. #32
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Make it a really gay festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  3. #33
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,600

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Make it a really gay festival.
    This.

    Perhaps call it Tessa Fest, with lesbians forming a human Tesla Coil.

  4. #34
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cuz if you're talking Beaumont you're fucked.
    Wow, Tom, you're good.



    What size is the mini festival in two weeks?

    Can I assume you're planning this for March 2014? What size are you hoping for that? Several hundred? A thousand?


    In Phoenix Stateside Presents has been doing SxStatesde shows, which are something along the lines of what you may be envisioning. They had 8-10 bands play at existing venues The Rhythm Room or The Sail Inn, adding an outdoor stage to the former (and utilizing the often unused outdoor stage at the latter), often a show before and a show after. Working it through the venue means there's very little extra to do and you get 3 times as many bands to play/attract concert goers.

    It does, however, sound like you're going for an outdoor thing for a thousand or more... in which case yeah, you'll need insurance, security, fences, staff, etc. The people at the venues around you may be able to help you figure this sort of thing out; they'll know what the local laws are, they'll know where to get insurance, etc. Partnering with a venue - even if you don't have that venue as part of the festival (though it could be the late night shows as your outdoor thing may have to end early because of noise ordinances) - will help you pull this off.

    And yeah, don't expect to make profit on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  5. #35
    Member OnlyNonStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    2,423

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival


  6. #36
    Coachella Junkie stinkbutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,155

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    That's a pretty solid lineup
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

  7. #37
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,004

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    Denton is like 5 hours from houston, dickweed.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Llama why won't you say what town you are talking about? Is it college station? Cuz if you're talking Beaumont you're fucked.
    I am talking Beaumont. I seriously have faith I can have something here. We have a pretty kicking little scene. A show with just a local band headlining can have a good 100-300 person crowd on a weekend night. Hope is that I can draw from nearby Louisiana cities (Lake Charles, Sulphur), and maybe Galveston and Houston if I'm lucky.

    It definitely will be hard and won't be a for sure-fire thing, but having lived here for a long time, I have some faith it can work.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Wow, Tom, you're good.



    What size is the mini festival in two weeks?

    Can I assume you're planning this for March 2014? What size are you hoping for that? Several hundred? A thousand?


    In Phoenix Stateside Presents has been doing SxStatesde shows, which are something along the lines of what you may be envisioning. They had 8-10 bands play at existing venues The Rhythm Room or The Sail Inn, adding an outdoor stage to the former (and utilizing the often unused outdoor stage at the latter), often a show before and a show after. Working it through the venue means there's very little extra to do and you get 3 times as many bands to play/attract concert goers.

    It does, however, sound like you're going for an outdoor thing for a thousand or more... in which case yeah, you'll need insurance, security, fences, staff, etc. The people at the venues around you may be able to help you figure this sort of thing out; they'll know what the local laws are, they'll know where to get insurance, etc. Partnering with a venue - even if you don't have that venue as part of the festival (though it could be the late night shows as your outdoor thing may have to end early because of noise ordinances) - will help you pull this off.

    And yeah, don't expect to make profit on this.
    For the first year, I'd be happy with 800-1,500 people. I don't think thats out of the question at all, as long as I keep ticket prices at a reasonable price. I'm pretty sure most of the local bands would be behind this (its a chance to play to much bigger crowds then usual, at much more prime spots then any out of town fest), and if I got the big 5 or so I'm thinking of, I think that could guarantee at least about 500-600 people right there without paying much. I think people are overestimating how big I want this to be. I'd like it to get bigger in the future but I'd be much better off starting small and growing from there. Main reason I am thinking outdoors is because I don't know of a good venue here with that size or bigger that I could actually use. Plus it'd be really cool to get vendors involved (Have a smaller scale festival coming up like I mentioned in this thread, had no problems getting vendors for that). I know of at least one venue owner thats wants to do a SXSW overflow show like this but never has a venue, they tried doing a show in a Warehouse last year and that didn't go down so well (police got involved, I don't know the whole story) so they can't use that again.

    Though there is actually a seldom used venue here that'd be perfect for this, but I'm figuring it'd probably be a pain to get them let me use it. Lots of corporate stuff with it. Could be wrong. I'll probably at least shoot them an inquiry. It'd cut down on cost a whole lot as far as what you mentioned, but at the same time they might charge quite a lot for us to use it so it might not be worth it (because you gotta factor in that in the outdoors venue we get a little extra boost from vendors and concession sales). But besides that venue, there's no venue I could think have that could hold 1,000 or more people here, which is why I'm thinking outdoors.

    I'm friends with the owner of the most popular venue for local shows (which is where those 100-300 person shows happen) and already mentioned the idea to him in passing. He seemed definitely interested (he actually planned to do something similar in the same spot a few years back but it fell through for whatever reason, I think having it around SXSW will help a lot to make this actually happen). Also have another friend that runs another popular venue that I haven't mentioned this to, but I'm pretty certain she'd be down. Plan on getting them together in the next month and giving them my pitch and seeing what they think. They'll definitely know laws better then me. Part of the reason I'm asking around for advice is to have a better pitch for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    Denton is an over 5 hour drive from here, and about 4-5 hours from Houston. 35 Denton is always awesome looking but it doesn't really pull many people from this area.
    Last edited by Llama of Time; 02-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.

  9. #39
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    35 Denton (and SxStateside, even) isn't a substitute or really a competitor but it could be a model. It could be part of your pitch; hey, they are doing this sort of thing on the western approach to Austin; we could do this here in Beaumont on the eastern approach.


    But I don't have any actual practical advice so I will go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  10. #40
    Cult Leader koryp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    3,216

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    35 Denton (and SxStateside, even) isn't a substitute or really a competitor but it could be a model. It could be part of your pitch; hey, they are doing this sort of thing on the western approach to Austin; we could do this here in Beaumont on the eastern approach.


    But I don't have any actual practical advice so I will go away.
    Or geographical, Denton being kinda north of Dallas and all.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

  11. #41
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,306

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    What do you prefer we do here? (a) Actually help - which is just telling you that you appear to be so clueless that by even attempting to do this you are going to yield disastrous results for yourself; or (b) continue flaming you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  12. #42
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,186

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    I marvel at the fact that anyone ever would ask the Coachella Message Board for advice on ANYTHING. I mean, look at us. We're miserable excuses of human beings.

    4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

  13. #43
    old school SepaGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Advice on Starting a Festival

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I marvel at the fact that anyone ever would ask the Coachella Message Board for advice on ANYTHING. I mean, look at us. We're miserable excuses of human beings.
    Speak for yourself...





    Ok fine, I'm a miserable excuse of a human being.

Similar Threads

  1. Starting Your Own Company
    By RotationSlimWang in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 06:56 AM
  2. Starting a Business
    By karecares in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
  3. I'm starting........
    By lowfront in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
  4. Festival Advice
    By timmel_uk in forum Questions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 10:42 PM
  5. Fuck this I'm starting my own festival
    By Rockstarboy37 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •