Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

You ain't gotta explain to me, buddy--it's that other dumb ho who apparently doesn't understand friendship.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Did you read what I wrote? The fact that Jessa treats her badly isn't confusing. What bothered me is that Hannah hasn't called her out on it. She has had no problem calling out her other friends on their behavior but it's a different dynamic with Jessa.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Yeah, because Jessa is the cool friend. Marnie isn't cool. Shosh isn't cool. Hannah isn't cool. The cool friend gets away with shit because the other friends are lucky they stick around.

Did you ever have a cool friend?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Tell me something: have you ever figured out anything on your own?

Fuck off Randy.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

You should write a fucking TV review column. "I don't understand this part of the show where the gorgeous person gets treated differently."

I was hoping to see more of Adam, Ray and maybe even Dog this episode.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Me too. Hopefully next week we'll see more of the cast.

What a shite random-as-fuck episode. I wonder how long it'll be before we see Jessa again.

8 second sex in a cemetery... foreshadowing for Hanna getting an abortion/miscarriage?

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Wasn't even inside of her. "Leg crease" remember.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Wasn't even inside of her. "Leg crease" remember.
    I just rewatched the sex scene and the scene after and I'm still not sure what you are referring to. Does she say they didn't really have sex later in the episode? EDIT: I kept it going and saw the scene you are referring to.

Either way, lets say I'm right about the scene foreshadowing an abortion storyline, it doesn't have to be this guy's child that Hanna could potentially be preggers with. There are at least 3 guys already this season whose child it could be.
    Last edited by xanman86; 02-26-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I know a lot of girls my age who watch this show, and I've been noticing that it's made them less conservative and more carefree when it comes to casual sex. Makes sense. They probably think, "well those cool girls, in New York, are fucking a bunch of dudes so why shouldn't I?".

It's pretty rad. Though, I bet the rate of STD's among hip 17-20 year olds has risen since the start of this series.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

So... girls your age have been having more casual sex recently, you're somewhere in the age range of 17-20, and you think the reason is a TV show came on the air?

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    So... girls your age have been having more casual sex recently, you're somewhere in the age range of 17-20, and you think the reason is a TV show came on the air?
    Yes. I'm 20. Well all of the girls I know watch this show and they're HUGE fans of it. Most are fascinated by the fact Hannah, Jessa, etc. have so much carefree sex and have talked about how "cool" it is. In turn, I've been noticing them be more comfortable and promiscuous. I'm not saying it's the sole reason why, but I bet the show has something to do with it. I mean, GIRLS has become like a cultural phenomenon... so I imagine it's opening up young girls to their sexuality. They watch it and think, "whoa, I can do that too? It's not some super slutty thing? I mean, those girls are beautiful and they're doing it..." Doesn't seem too farfetched to me.

20 year old girls don't need encouragement to be slutty. The show isn't creating its own reality, it's reflecting an existing reality.

20 year old girls don't need encouragement to be slutty. The show isn't creating its own reality, it's reflecting an existing reality.
    I meant prude 20 year old girls. Ya know, the hot ones that won't sleep around for the fear of being called a slut. Of course most 20 year old girls are down to get fucked, but for the prudes.. this show is showing them it's okay.

Yeah, that's called "what happens to every 19 year old prude."

Most girls in their 20s have lots of partners; I doubt the show has had an influence. But even on the show the characters also face the consequences of being careless - Jessa had the pregnancy scare and Hanna got HPV. It's not depicted as entirely cool to sleep around.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Jessa had the pregnancy scare and Hanna got HPV. It's not depicted as entirely cool to sleep around.
    But Jessa then found out she wasn't pregnant and immediately fucked that one dude. And the HPV got downplayed a lot. "All adventurous girls have it". Definitely depicting it as alright and cool.

Randy is kinda proven right... do you even watch this show?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

so much derp on this page. abortion what? sometimes sex is just sex. and hannah knows she's the only person jessa can count on. and if she told her off, jessa wouldn't stay around. and jessa is like the cool cavalier kid hannah never was. she looks up to jessa and wants to be more like her.

i liked the episode. nice to get some insight into jessa
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Sleeping around is depicted as being cool, this is a fact. Wanna know why that is? Because that's what fucking cool people do in their twenties, you goddamn nerd motherfuckers.

Things that almost definitely happen to you in your twenties if you're remotely attractive, personable, and interesting:

1. Sleep with way too many people for a little while
    2. As a condition of 1, you are present for a few abortions
    3. Also as a condition of 1, you get some bad news from the STD clinic at least once.
    4. Rehab/moving to another state because you can't afford rehab
    5. Get fat for a little while--quickly get your head out of your ass, realize how huge that ass is, and get a different drug habit to lose the weight quickly

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    But Jessa then found out she wasn't pregnant and immediately fucked that one dude. And the HPV got downplayed a lot. "All adventurous girls have it". Definitely depicting it as alright and cool.

Randy is kinda proven right... do you even watch this show?
    In this case I agree with Randy that the show reflects what girls that age are really doing, including some of the negative consequences - even if they are downplayed or made humorous.

Great episode all around and I think the first one (that I recall) split between 3 writers.

Upcoming shows
    Events

Ray's "Pantomime to express emotion is a crutch" line was great and reminded me of how most of you are about language.

Upcoming shows
    Events

THAT'S FUCKING FASCINATING, XAN.

THAT'S FUCKING FASCINATING, XAN.
    You see the episode Randy? What do you want to bring up about it?

Upcoming shows
    Events

THE THREE WRITERS. ASTOUNDING.

I wouldn't say astounding but it is interesting. Season once was almost primarily written by Lena herself with one or two exceptions. I've noticed many more episodes that do not have her name in the writing credits at all this year plus more where she is co-writing it with someone else. I think it shows in the series that it is now being spoken by multiple voices behind the scenes. I am always curious when there are multiple writers like this about what scenes were written by whom.

Upcoming shows
    Events

They have a staff of writers. Generally speaking on shows like this the official Written By credit will be given to whoever had the primary story and then they bring the script to be reviewed by the rest of the staff to see if they have anything to add or punch up. In some circumstances the other writers' contribution may be enough for them to deem it worthy of a writer's credit, but odds are with each episode there are probably a few lines at least that are coming from people other than just the primary writer credit.