Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Default Re: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I didn't find the plot line believable and the progression of their intimacy seemed forced. I may have found it better if it had been played out over a few episodes, instead of all crammed into 1/2 hour. I'm also frustrated that there are so many loose ends that aren't being addressed a natural way, and several seemingly key storylines revolving around other characters ( major and minor ) that are being neglected, and I'm hoping they won't get brushed under the rug.
    Again, the quickness of the intimacy is not suprising to me of a 24 year old, and the half hour format plays well to that. I really think it's one of the most beautiful scenes of the series when she's lying down on his leg and realizes that she could actually have intimacy like that, on a real level, rather than a relationship that is without that. And, in the end when she does those adult things like bring in the newspaper, and take out the trash, but then walks away because maybe she's not quite ready for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyliediscope View Post
    I think that this might be a turning point in Hannah. Or, at least a small change. It took a tryst with a "successful" and kind man to make her realize that she doesn't just want to skid by in life. I think that was a huge awakening for her!
    I hope it's a turning point for her too! But there is so much going on elsewhere in the show that I want to see progression on. I'm hopeful for next week. And I doubt we'll see Josh (ua) ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Again, the quickness of the intimacy is not suprising to me of a 24 year old, and the half hour format plays well to that. I really think it's one of the most beautiful scenes of the series when she's lying down on his leg and realizes that she could actually have intimacy like that, on a real level, rather than a relationship that is without that. And, in the end when she does those adult things like bring in the newspaper, and take out the trash, but then walks away because maybe she's not quite ready for that.
    Interesting interpretation- I found her taking out the trash almost a symbol of the situation coming full circle; she was at the end of the fantasy and back where she started before they met. I did appreciate her monologue about what she really wanted out of life and why she felt she hadn't found it yet. But when she left, with only what she had on when she came, unchanged, and heading home in her short shorts - it was weird - almost like it never happened.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

the last episode redeemed this season for me
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I'm finally caught up and the last 2 episodes were great in an I-needed-a-good-cry kind of way. I'd always had a soft spot for Thomas-John (mostly because of my crush on Chris O'Dowd), but never thought that he and Jessa were right for each other - even though up until 2 episodes ago, it seemed to be working better than expected. That break up scene was pretty rough, but it was necessary. Jessa and Hannah's moment in the tub was quite a moment and I was a sobbing mess up until Hannah totally defused the tension with the snot rocket comment, haha.

Shoshana and Ray are just wonderful. I love her naivety and it seems to be a perfect match for Ray's awkwardness too. the subway scene was just perfect! I can't wait to see how that story progresses, but knowing Lena, she'll rip my heart on it and then have sex with it.

I think Hannah did have a little bit of a revelation by wanting to be happy, but knowing her it was just another flash in the pan.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Of course you didn't.
    I didn't think that because only a complete asshole would think that.

ASSHOLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Maybe you need to watch it again since it was clearly over your head.

Can I just say that Season 2 Episode 4 was the best episode?

I was crying my ass off during that last scene. When Hannah is singing 'Wonderwall' in the bathtub, then Jess gets in the tub too and lets out all her tears. It was beautiful. :'(
    2010 / 2011 / 2012 (Wkd 1) / 2013*

http://www.last.fm/user/bea_afraid

I'm not sure if this was posted in one of the 14 threads that we've been discussing Girls in, but Lena Dunham is on the cover of Rolling Stone this month. I just got my copy in the mail, but haven't had a chance to read it. I thumbed through it a bit, and it looks like a good article so I'm looking forward to reading it soon. also, short hair works for her!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...s-all-20130213
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by morticia__ View Post
    Can I just say that Season 2 Episode 4 was the best episode?

I was crying my ass off during that last scene. When Hannah is singing 'Wonderwall' in the bathtub, then Jess gets in the tub too and lets out all her tears. It was beautiful. :'(
    it was fun going through a rewatch last night. the show takes on a completely different meaning the second time around, especially with Adam!
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I'm not sure if this was posted in one of the 14 threads that we've been discussing Girls in, but Lena Dunham is on the cover of Rolling Stone this month. I just got my copy in the mail, but haven't had a chance to read it. I thumbed through it a bit, and it looks like a good article so I'm looking forward to reading it soon. also, short hair works for her!!
    I agree it suits her far better than her season 1 and 2 hair. I read she was dying to cut it by the time she finished filming. I haven't seen the mag yet but I think I saw the cover photo on tv. She's adorable.

I wonder how that will work for Hannah though. I guess it depends on how the rest of the season progresses and if Hannah matures a bit more, but I just can't imagine frumpy Hannah like that.
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I wonder how that will work for Hannah though. I guess it depends on how the rest of the season progresses and if Hannah matures a bit more, but I just can't imagine frumpy Hannah like that.
    Interesting that you mention that because the RS article talks about how Lena makes all of these intricate acting choices, which when they all come together, make her look and seem physically awkward, even ugly at times, when in reality she's gorgeous (I think and others within the article think) and graceful in real life. There's a funny moment in the article when some fan can't stop telling Lena that she looks "so much fatter on TV" and she's like "I don't know what to say to that."

So maybe the short hair that totally works for her now will be transformed into something that fits Hannah's character once new footage is filmed.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i have to say, i find lena herself to be kind of annoying. the show is funny, but this season really shines on how horrible pretty much all of these girls, except shoshana, are to people. and i think some of that stems from lena herself being kinda well-off and coming from the entitlement generation; especially after seeing some of the quotes from her book.

i still like what she's doing, but i have to admit the girl just kinda irritates me.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I don't have HBO but I want to see the pilot or an episode or something. help
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

once you watch the pilot you'll want to keep on watching. it's kind of like driving passed an accident on the road.
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I don't have HBO but I want to see the pilot or an episode or something. help
    I uploaded all of the eps for a friend a few months ago. I'll upload this season so far tonight:

http://youtu.be/cHncjRw4J3Q
    http://youtu.be/zDWRjNB0vdU
    http://youtu.be/Rto12Lo-PuA
    http://youtu.be/qXXJCJcAikM
    http://youtu.be/bAbOWd9YN7s
    http://youtu.be/Le-PZ--bEtw
    http://youtu.be/UGcgYJ8KZeM
    http://youtu.be/4uAlANGlvqw
    http://youtu.be/Wpphp87j6dI
    http://youtu.be/bp8ofCSc0Bo

Somebody needs to clue you guys in to the fact that interesting characters are flawed people
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

You are stating the obvious. I like all the characters but they all do things that I hate. I still root for them and like them despite their flaws, and still enjoy watching the show -even if the storylines irritate me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    I uploaded all of the eps for a friend a few months ago. I'll upload this season so far tonight:
    Thank you so much! You're a doll.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

You are stating the obvious. I like all the characters but they all do things that I hate. I still root for them and like them despite their flaws, and still enjoy watching the show -even if the storylines irritate me.
    It's not about whether or not you like them. She is writing a story about characters who she is clearly both appreciating but mostly deriding. The show makes fun of its characters. To give Lena shit because she wrote her vain, immature, stupid characters making vain, immature, stupid decisions is something that dumb people do.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    It's not about whether or not you like them. She is writing a story about characters who she is clearly both appreciating but mostly deriding. The show makes fun of its characters. To give Lena shit because she wrote her vain, immature, stupid characters making vain, immature, stupid decisions is something that dumb people do.
    Noone is criticizing Lena or her writing for what the character's choices are. I didn't like that several key aspects of past episodes were going unaddressed in new episodes. Two separate issues.

So your beef is that the most recent episode didn't address all the massively pressing and fascinating dilemmas the characters face like... finding a new roommate? Dumb person.

So your beef is that the most recent episode didn't address all the massively pressing and fascinating dilemmas the characters face like... finding a new roommate? Dumb person.
    Go back and watch from the start of the season and maybe you'll clue in eventually to what I was referring to. And maybe someday, if you could make points that seem sensible and reasonable, you won't feel so compelled to punctuate them with insults. It would make you sound a lot more credible, and less ignorant.

I've watched every episode four times. You understand DICK about story craft.

Really? I was able to understand the episodes on my first viewing. It didn't require 4.

Actually you failed to understand the last episode completely.

That's amusing considering your prior commentary in this thread about that episode. Let's do this - maybe you could provide your own plot synopsis on the next episode just to set the record straight?

Sure, except that what you did wasn't a plot synopsis. It was a pathetic attempt at insight and commentary that completely missed the point of the art. So do you want a plot synopsis or do you want commentary, 'cause they're not the same thing.

Sure, except that what you did wasn't a plot synopsis. It was a pathetic attempt at insight and commentary that completely missed the point of the art. So do you want a plot synopsis or do you want commentary, 'cause they're not the same thing.
    I didn't say what I did was a plot synopsis. But if you provided one, it would demonstrate you had a basic grasp and understanding of the content. You stated earlier in this thread that you thought it was about Hanna wanting to sleep with an older guy and that it was just a pretty story, which is a clear indicator you didn't get it AT ALL. So a plot synopsis on the upcoming show would be a good start.