Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 111213141516

Thread: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Default Re: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Don't read it as if I everyone doesn't agree that Hannah is completely destructive and obnoxious. I'm just going by what Ivy said about Adam's inconsistent reactions to Hannah and that storyline. He wants to see her be better than the shitshow she is so he takes her jogging, he celebrates her successes. We see Hannah wanting to reciprocate with someone she loves. Lena plays a mess with all her other relationships, but we see that she's honest in this one. It is sexist- but also very real, because some of us know both sides of that story. Maybe some of us lived it at that age, or watched our friends live it.

It took me until this late to actually like this show- because they're all kind of terrible, but I mean, that's the show right? Watching bullshit behavior from fucking Girls who just go off emotion. It's a commentary on how each one deals with all the shit one comes across in their 20s. Marni is only funny to me because of how Elijah talks about her. But if Shoshanna wasn't a character I wouldn't watch. That girl is cray.

The show is deliberately, mockingly sexist.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    Don't read it as if I everyone doesn't agree that Hannah is completely destructive and obnoxious. I'm just going by what Ivy said about Adam's inconsistent reactions to Hannah and that storyline. He wants to see her be better than the shitshow she is so he takes her jogging, he celebrates her successes. We see Hannah wanting to reciprocate with someone she loves. Lena plays a mess with all her other relationships, but we see that she's honest in this one. It is sexist- but also very real, because some of us know both sides of that story. Maybe some of us lived it at that age, or watched our friends live it.

It took me until this late to actually like this show- because they're all kind of terrible, but I mean, that's the show right? Watching bullshit behavior from fucking Girls who just go off emotion. It's a commentary on how each one deals with all the shit one comes across in their 20s. Marni is only funny to me because of how Elijah talks about her. But if Shoshanna wasn't a character I wouldn't watch. That girl is cray.
    HOW IN THE FUCK ARE YOU INTERPRETING WHAT HANNAH IS DOING AS "HONESTLY SUPPORTING" ADAM? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

You know what's awesome? Is that this thread is proof that Lena's depiction of young women is not even remotely off base. They are--for the most part--insanely delusional creatures who cannot perceive the emotional dichotomy of how relationships should work in the slightest and skew everything towards a demented pro-feminine perspective that values emotional bullshit over logic and fairness.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i am not buying into hannah's bullshit. i think adam has any number of reasons not to be with her. i think he's using his work as a cop out or he is too much of a child to not figure out how to do work at home while living with someone else. he did essentially call her a plaything and basically said her existence is too distracting. i lived with someone for three years and found plenty of ways to do the private things i needed to do by setting boundaries and without being distracted by the mere sight of my love and without an entire second bedroom with a door. again, maybe i am forgetting all the ways hannah was purposefully interrupting his work, but i am waiting for someone not on my ignore list to prove me wrong. he should leave because she is selfish, insecure, and annoying in general. by making it about his work it comes off as hypocritical and weak.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 03-20-2014 at 05:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Well put. Although oddly when I think about it, it's mostly the women who get the shit treatment in Lena's rendition. Adam, Ray (despite his faults), and Charlie were all portrayed as being more or less goodish people and frequently put in the position of wisdom with regards to their dynamic interacting with their female counterparts. It's a story about young girls who don't know who they are yet and not so young men who are a bit more worldly and the conflicts that arise as a result. Intriguing. Frankly, the show is kind of sexist.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post

How do all of you not realize that every single fucking character in this show is written to be an unbearable piece of shit except for very rare moments when they demonstrate glitters of humanistic reality that even they don't recognize?

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Preview of the season finale scheduled for Sunday!
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Am I weird because I thought some of the things Adam said sounded like compliments that Hannah just couldn't understand? Like the whole "distraction" and "plaything" I see that as a good thing, when you're with that person shouldn't that be person be a distraction because you love spending time with them and goofing off? Joking together and what not. I know there have been many many times when my boyfriend needs to do work and I come over anyways and he gets jack shit done. So if he does have something important to do we know to stay apart so he can handle it. I think Adam has a closer grasp to the reality of a healthy relationship, knowing when you need your space and asking for it. If the other person is too insecure to handle the request then that should be a sign of future problems.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Holy shit, look at that--a woman with a brain. Thank you, euphonic.

I loved everything about the finale. So thrilled to see where Caroline ended up... "There's definitely a vagina taking shape.." HA! Shoshana's scene with Ray at Intermission and Hannah and Adam's scenes broke my heart. Marnie and Clementine in the washroom was amazing. But my favorite moment was Elijah trying to sneak his way into the cast photographs near the end. Fucking hilarious. It makes me sad to know we have to wait for months for the start of next season.

This show is very good at season finales.
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

labia forming

i cannot believe hannah went backstage before adam's show to talk about the master's thing. i would have been so pissed, just like adam.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This show is very good at season finales.
    Loved it.

You can totally see Jenny Biggs is pregnant in the cast photos part where she kisses Adam on the cheek. She just had the little Biggs so I hope she comes back next year as a recurring character.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Season 4 is in production.

Mustache > No Mustache on that man.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -