Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Default Re: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

"You look like someone Robert Mapplethorpe would photograph" is now my favorite pick-up line ever.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Elijah cracked me up this episode. And Patti Lupone was hilarious too. Marnie is unbelievably pathetic, and she'll surely start an affair with this Desi guy. I actually felt pretty impressed with Ray for standing up to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

After last weekend's drunken breakdown, this week's ep was a fizzy, effervescent break from the heavy stuff--one of the funniest eps I can remember. I mean, so many ridiculous moments:

Marnie's painfully awkward unreciprocated hug with Booth's former assistant.

Patti LuPone having no problem lying about having osteoporosis or owning a fake French Bulldog named Pippin.

Patti LuPone telling Hannah that Adam is going to start fucking everyone in the cast. (Something which her real life former bf, Kevin Kline, did to her!)

Hannah telling her co-worker: "I'm sorry, but Patti LuPone just really fucked with my head."

Shosh saying: "Are you afraid Adam's gong to leave you for, like, Sutton Foster or someone?"

Adam's new friend's former role as a gay, disabled hockey player on One Tree Hill.

The enjoyment of watching Broadway star Andrew Rannels' character's desperate attempt to get in with Adam and admitting that the closest he's gotten to Broadway is "a handjob from a guy in Pippin."

Or what about Andrew Rannells' character advising Adam to make sure he hangs out at a certain bar where he "saw Tyne Daly get really drunk and fall down a flight of stairs."

Or, when he's rebuffed by Adam,saying "Well, don't come crying to me when Kristin Chenoweth passes out because you forgot to feed her."

Too much good stuff.

That was all my favorite Elijah stuff too. They write for him so perfectly.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    "You look like someone Robert Mapplethorpe would photograph" is now my favorite pick-up line ever.
    HI JEWFACE

great episode. so happy to see patti! am i the only one who is confused as to why adam acts? it seems so out of place.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post

am i the only one who is confused as to why adam acts? it seems so out of place.
    I think the struggling actor bit suits him well. Maybe because the show is set in NYC, it makes sense for at least one character to fill that slot.

I think the acting story arc fits Adam's character well. He is obviously someone who enjoys activities that require a lot of focus, ambition, and willingness to challenge ones' self. He's also clearly not a desk job type of guy and seems to have a sort of 'why not?' attitude.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Hannah telling her co-worker: "I'm sorry, but Patti LuPone just really fucked with my head."
    this was hilarious. and who the hell shows their coworker their paycheck? Then going out and blowing money on a new dress is so Hannah.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Well, her and her coworker are on the same team so it's not as if Hannah's making more than her. Also every early 20-something year old I know, myself included, showed whoever the fuck was around them the first time they got a paycheck that was in any way substantial. That was an authentic moment.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

"This is way more than my rent"
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Well, her and her coworker are on the same team so it's not as if Hannah's making more than her. Also every early 20-something year old I know, myself included, showed whoever the fuck was around them the first time they got a paycheck that was in any way substantial. That was an authentic moment.
    agreed, I forgot how many people do show each other their paycheck, especially as a 20-something. I don't agree with your first sentence though. One of the reasons people jump from job to job is that you'll make more starting somewhere else than sticking around the same place and getting a 3% (or less) raise per year. Hannah could have easily been making more than a person doing the same job as her simply by being hired later.

When she showed her the paycheck the first thing I thought is that the coworker was going to be mad that Hannah made more than her.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

....but the show established that the writers in Hannah's group have been there for as long as they have (Jessica William's for 10 years) because of the stability and the paycheck that it offers in the field of professional writing.

and that's fine that they are content with their jobs and like it for the stability and good pay, but that doesn't stop their boss from bringing in a new person at $5K (or whatever) higher.

For example, let's say a guy is hired at $15 an hour. He is happy at $15/hr for a year, even happier when he gets a $1/hr raise to $16 during his performance review. But for whatever economic reason, the company is now offering $17/hr to start, that means a new coworker makes $1/hr more with no experience in the dept. That sort of thing usually pisses people off, even if they were content before.

I've not seen instances where people working for different amounts of time, but doing the same work, have exactly the same pay. Not saying it can't happen, just that I've not been exposed to that.

it really was a small blip (to me) on an otherwise fantastic episode. I misread where the scene was going, but good for Hannah. Can't believe how fast the season has passed, only 2 episodes left.

Not in the world of professional writing Hannah's occupying, I don't think. But anyway.

And Adam moving into acting isn't an awkward transition at all within the context of these people's lives. I mean, it is quite blatantly the plot device that will allow for the tension of testing the relationship between Hannah and Adam that needs to happen.
    Last edited by guedita; 02-26-2014 at 11:01 AM.

I've worked as a staff writer and free-lancer for various publications and while free-lance fees are sometimes standard, full-time salaries can vary a lot. In my experience, the longer you stay in one full-time writing job, the more underpaid you become...

i agree it's a blatant plot device. i just don't see the actor thing aligning with his personality.

Ivy, Adam is an actor. It's time to accept it.

FINE

Loved this episode. The mom and aunts fighting was great. And what Grandma said said about marriage was awesome. "What is she going to do with a diamond ring?" "Wear it on her fuuuuucking finger." Ha.

I hope we get more of Hanna's aunts in the future, they were great. It's always nice to see more actors from The Wire on subsequent HBO shows (Deirdre Lovejoy). It's looking more likely to me that the season will end with Adam and Hanna breaking up. Also, with death being a running theme this season, I wonder if they will kill off a major character.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

i am still waiting for a marnie and shosh fight.

^^ waiting on that as well. This may be premature, and I am probably wrong, but I feel like the show is nearing the end of the season already? and they haven't addressed some major things that I would like to see develop and unfold. Such as Shosh killing Marnie.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

"Don't only text me 'car crash'"

9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    ^^ waiting on that as well. This may be premature, and I am probably wrong, but I feel like the show is nearing the end of the season already? and they haven't addressed some major things that I would like to see develop and unfold. Such as Shosh killing Marnie.
    And did they ever find Caroline?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    And did they ever find Caroline?
    More things we may not know about. The season finale is on the 23rd so we have 3 more episodes.. not sure if that's enough air time to address issues.. or if this season is more like a set up season, or a pre-game, and we resolve most stuff next season.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

i don't quite care so much about caroline, though she was an entertaining character. i hope they find a way to keep adam in the show if him and hannah break-up. and i agree with chris that the best line of sunday's episode was "don't only text me 'car crash'" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i hope they find a way to keep adam in the show if him and hannah break-up.
    they have to. he is the best character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Yeah, I kind of like that this season is all over the map and doesn't follow a typical episodic path, and I'll hope to see some of the unresolved issues resurface next season, or maybe they can address a couple in the next 3 shows. But I can't imagine them getting rid of Adam for any reason, anytime soon. They kept him around the last time he and Hannah broke up. He's just too interesting a character.

If they do cut him out of the show, it could very well be because this show has made Adam Driver fucking huge and he's got much more lucrative options now. I don't see him going anywhere though. Everyone loves him.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare