Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Default Re: GIRLS ON HBO appreciation/ discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    I'm a little confused on Jessa's smirk face during her walk. Was Jessa realizing that her friend did the right thing cause Jessa is nuts and was smiling cause she didn't blame her friend for faking her death?
    That's how I felt about it. I also think her comments to her friend about her brownstone and her cool looking husband indicated some jealousy, in realizing she herself is the fucked up one that is struggling with her life choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

was that Richard Ayoade?

I liked the episode, but I didn't really care for Hannah telling that story to Adam at all. At first I expected Adam to call her out on it and that the story that Caronline told would turn out to be not fake at all. I can almost relate to Hannah's lack of emotion a little bit since I also deal with death in a similar way (short of the "oh, I just lost a close friend, so I totes need attention" part of it).

I'm really starting to like Laird.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

"pretend that you're dead, jessa?"
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    Yes! It was so funny/cute/kinda sad when Caroline was done with the Margaret story and says "Laird its fake" and he says "Doesn't mean I still don't feel it" or something similar all while having cry snot dribbling.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

was that Richard Ayoade?

I liked the episode, but I didn't really care for Hannah telling that story to Adam at all. At first I expected Adam to call her out on it and that the story that Caronline told would turn out to be not fake at all. I can almost relate to Hannah's lack of emotion a little bit since I also deal with death in a similar way (short of the "oh, I just lost a close friend, so I totes need attention" part of it).

I wish it was Ayoade, but it was not.

I loved having Richard E Grant for a couple of episodes

"I feel like my bandana collection is my most developed collection. I mean, my array of bandanas is insane.” - Shoshana

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    Yes! It was so funny/cute/kinda sad when Caroline was done with the Margaret story and says "Laird its fake" and he says "Doesn't mean I still don't feel it" or something similar all while having cry snot dribbling.
    and the week before that he was the last person left watching Marnie's train wreck only to ask "what's that from".

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    I wish it was Ayoade, but it was not.
    I thought it was him at first, but then I started second guessing myself. it looked enough like him that I let out a small squee anyways. anyone know who it was?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    And I was pretty disgusted that Hannah tried to manipulate Adam with that story. Classic example of how her character can be so unlikable. The best thing about this one was Caroline.
    You guys are...kind of watching this show like it's Friends or something the way you're mad at the characters and what they do. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with Hannah and her telling the story to Adam - that whole ending to this episode was a very blatant commentary on relationships, and how people in relationships manipulate each other whether it's the right thing to do or not. Often times just to get through a situation, to avoid conflict, etc. That was her way of showing Adam, true or not, that she does experience emotion so that this didn't grow into a bigger deal between them than it needed to.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    You guys are...kind of watching this show like it's Friends or something the way you're mad at the characters and what they do. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with Hannah and her telling the story to Adam - that whole ending to this episode was a very blatant commentary on relationships, and how people in relationships manipulate each other whether it's the right thing to do or not. Often times just to get through a situation, to avoid conflict, etc. That was her way of showing Adam, true or not, that she does experience emotion so that this didn't grow into a bigger deal between them than it needed to.
    I disagree with you, partially. Yes, the whole episode was a comment about relationships and manipulation and things we do to avoid certain situations. But before she launched into the Margaret lie, Hannah talked about how it takes her time to process emotion and that her editor was someone she genuinely liked - and in that moment, to me, that represented the
    true show of emotion that Adam was looking for from her. But when she threw the story in there after the fact it was just.. awful, and felt wrong.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Yeah, I'm kind of with ThatGirl. I love how uncomfortable that ending made me. Whether the story Caroline told was true or not is kind of irrelevant. And even if it was just made up by Caroline and Adam believes it's true, it doesn't seem to matter. You can just tell from his body language that he sees right through Hannah. I also think that Hannah probably wanted to tell that fake story to Adam to gage his reaction. If Adam didn't have an emotional response to the story either, she could tell herself that her initial reaction was perfectly normal. This is going to get interesting.

ScenicWorld, the actor who played Season's husband was Johnathan Fernandez.

I feel like Lena Dunham is telling these stories to get exactly the reactions that we're giving them. I don't try and dissect every detail and figure out some underlying social commentary about relationships and friendships any deeper than can be picked up immediately following a scene or during any other series for that matter. I related to her for the entire episode up until she told that story. manipulation and lying notwithstanding, there are limits to what can and should be done and I felt that using that story to somehow prove to Adam that she had a reason for feeling (or lack thereof) the way that she did was unnecessary. if you ask me, ThatGirl nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    ScenicWorld, the actor who played Season's husband was Johnathan Fernandez.
    ahh, thanks! I hadn't heard of him before this but he's dreamy
    Last edited by scenicworld; 01-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.

i think she wasn't getting the reaction she wanted being honest so she lied

You can just tell from his body language that he sees right through Hannah.
    I saw this too. The next episodes should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i think she wasn't getting the reaction she wanted being honest so she lied
    I didn't even think of this, but it also makes sense.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

I love how uncomfortable that ending made me. Whether the story Caroline told was true or not is kind of irrelevant.
    I find some episodes are classically funny and entertaining in a traditional way, but now and then one comes up like this that leaves you feeling a bit unsettled. I like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I don't know. It read to me more as a comment on just how fucking vacant Hannah is. The only way she can show emotion is by sharing a secondhand lie.

And here we are in Season 3, and I'm sort of tickled by the fact that the only likable characters are Ray and Adam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

if you ask me, ThatGirl nailed it.
    First time ever thought, posted, said, or otherwise conceived.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    And here we are in Season 3, and I'm sort of tickled by the fact that the only likable characters are Ray and Adam.
    My favorite characters are Adam, Ray and Elijah. And Shosh is pretty funny in most episodes.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

(ThatGirl is sitting in a dimly lit room in front of her computer)

ThatGirl: (satisfied) That's a good Girls post.

(Camera pans to ThatGirl clicking onto the tab for Facebook "Which Girls Character Are You?" quiz. Close-up of sweat beading on her forehead)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

What's with the font Malc?

i noticed on hbogo you can watch sundays episode of girls early!

I don't think I get that here. :/

I saw this too, I think I'm going to save it though.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

The two episodes back to back were very good. The funeral episode in general was awesome and has all of the girls moving somewhere, and the sociopathic developments in Hannah are very interesting.

Called Marnie and Ray fucking the second she walked in.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that Marnie and Ray fucked. As for Hannah. Jesus. Total sociopath. I was cringing during that phone call with her father.

Whenever she is with side-boy character, and wearing a skirt, she will fuck them.

I'm not usually a dick about spoilers – especially with this show – but could we at least wait to discuss plot points until the show has aired the way most of us will watch it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

AGREED! Wait until Monday friends! Argh!

Hey first time caller, long time listener......

Just watched an episode (with my wife )wherein the protagonist and her friend and her boyfriend go to pick up another (British-accented) friend from rehab.

Just shoot me now. Or maybe inject me with a lethal tranquilizer.

But seriously, young people don't really talk and behave like this, right?

Hello Caller,

Please turn down your radio.

Thanks.

Yes, this show is meant highlight how terrible young people are and how underdeveloped their decision making skills can be.

Totes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'm not usually a dick about spoilers – especially with this show – but could we at least wait to discuss plot points until the show has aired the way most of us will watch it?
    QFT

That's just common sense. C'mon, guys.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    AGREED! Wait until Monday friends! Argh!
    Sorry, thought the early released episode being mentioned above would be indication to stay out until caught up :/