Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To camp or hotel...

Default To camp or hotel...

Hey guys, so I'm a Coachella newbie and I'm trying to decide if i want to camp or just share a hotel room with some people. I'm only thinking a hotel so that I can get some decent sleep and take a shower however camping would be great too since I can party until whenever and don't need to worry about missing my shuttle. What do experienced Coachella folk think?

Default Re: To camp or hotel...

if you arent sure- camp. the hotel thing is only truly amazing if you have a great place to stay and great friends to share it with. I never camp- but if I was unsure I would be deadset on camping.
    Years attended: ...'08...'09...'10...'11...'12...'13!!

I'm putting my vote in for hotel.

I've been to Coachella only the last 2 years and have gone solo to both, this year being my first bringing a friend. I personally hate the idea of living out of a tent like a refugee. When I go on a vacation, I want a degree of luxury. I find the shuttle service to be quick and conveinent, with no real chance you'll miss it. After all, it starts early, runs all day, and ends a half hour or so after all music has stopped. As long as you don't suck at keeping track of time, there should be no issues. As for sleeping... I don't think I would get any sleep in a tent city. My combo of breathing problems (sensitive lungs) and light sleeping would probably leave me a wreck, just like at Bonnaroo. Also, being able to take a shower in your room is hard to beat... I know it makes the experience better for me.

Money is the primary issue obviously, so it really comes down to whether it's worth it to pay 100-150 a night for a room. For me the alternative is having a somewhat miserable experience for something I drop over a grand on after flight and wristband, so my choice is obvious.

The argument for camping is again money, no down time other than entering the gates, and the party atmosphere. I'm a tired old man after walking around all day in the sun, so once it hits around midnight I'm almost always done for the day.

Either way, you'll have a blast. There's a reason I keep coming back.
    Last edited by orangejulius; 02-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

I've only ever camped because I've usually go by myself and I'm not paying for the hotel myself. Camping is fun and it adds to the experience for sure. Not have to worry about shuttle or drive is nice also. But I can imagine going back to a nice warm shower, comfy bed, and an actual toilet has it's advantages also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

If you decide not to camp go ahead and pm me because i have a ticket with a shuttle pass and im willing to trade and pay the difference of the two tickets for your ticket with a camping pass.

You get much better sleep and sanity in a hotel, but you make more friends if you camp. Not having to wait in line (or pay for) hot showers is also a big benefit of a hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

My camping neighbors I've met from the last two years are going to be friends for life. With proper planning and resources, you can make camping just as comfortable and convenient as a hotel.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

I only camped once in 2007, and oh my god, I did not get any sleep on the Thursday night before the festival. People were noisy as FUCK. I think I got a total for 12 hours of sleep the entire weekend.

I had that same experience last week, but in a hotel I had to stay in when I missed a connecting flight. Ear plugs are a necessity.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

CAMP! it sometimes takes several hours to get out of the parking lot & back to your hotel at the end of the night, so either way, you aren't really going to get a full 8 hours of sleep… At least with camping, you can easily just walk back to your site & crash (or continue partying, if you prefer!). It's only for 3-4 nights, and if you can handle Coachella, then there's no reason why you couldn't handle camping. Also, there are showers in camping! Nothing fancy, but they're portable showers that get he job done. It's not like you're out in the wilderness - there's a general store, restaurant, food trucks, showers, electricity, music, art, all kinds of cool stuff... PLUS you always meet cool people! I've camped the last 3 years, and I wouldn't go back to staying in a hotel. Hope that helps )

I've done both and I have to say, camping makes a much richer Coachella experience, less hassle and more enjoyable.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

I like relaxed sunbathing in the morning with camping. And then you can just walk in whenever you feel like it. Never done hotel, but it would seem more inconvenient...not to mention more expensive.

Last year I parked and hotelled, and it did not take me that long to get back to the hotel, and I was in Palm Springs. You still have more than enough time to get a full 8 hours' sleep. And traffic issues are SO MUCH BETTER now with the shuttles.

You can get a nice shower and a full night's sleep pretty much any other time of the year. Why miss out on an experience that only comes twice a year?

I've done both. Camped first year and done house/hotel every year since.

If you are a 20-something who loves to party, doesn't like to sleep in, and isn't hung up on hygiene that I would by all means camp. It is a lot more convenient. No worrying about driving. It's super cheap.
    Advantages of a house are legion - air conditioning, comfortable bed, showers, etc. We've booked a house every year since that has a kitchen so we just load up at the local Safeway on Thursday and cook breakfast every day. The added inconvenience of driving and maybe walking a little further to/from the gate to your car is insignificant compared to the benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Did anyone get stuck on the camping aisle where the shuttle entrance walk to gates were? It looked like a miserable dust bowl for them weekend 1.

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

Under 30 go for the camping. Over 30 and expecting a little more comfort go for a motel/hotel. I drive from Palm Springs and love casually waking and then going out for a great breakfast before heading out for the short trip to the festival. With camping and shuttles, it's so much easier to get to and park.

I'll never deal with the yelling and bad music of camping again after doing it for 2 years. I'm over 30 and I want to be comfortable after a shower in a cool bed at night. I feel so much better in the morning after a day of walking, standing adn jumping around the previous day!
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

Quote Originally Posted by artisticcreator View Post
    Under 30 go for the camping. Over 30 and expecting a little more comfort go for a motel/hotel. I drive from Palm Springs and love casually waking and then going out for a great breakfast before heading out for the short trip to the festival. With camping and shuttles, it's so much easier to get to and park.

I'll never deal with the yelling and bad music of camping again after doing it for 2 years. I'm over 30 and I want to be comfortable after a shower in a cool bed at night. I feel so much better in the morning after a day of walking, standing adn jumping around the previous day!
    Hell, I'm only 26 and I have the same opinion... Maybe I'm too crotchety for my own good.

I stayed in Palm Desert Marriott Villas for 2011 and loved it. It's just really expensive for solo. Last year I stayed at Palm Mountain and the Palm Springs shuttle across the street made the ride effortless. Literally walked down the stairs, crossed the street and I was at the shuttle. The shuttle ride was a little long unfortunately... Once I left the hotel, it was at least an hour combined for the drive over, then walking from the shuttle area to the gate. Made it impossible to see the opening acts.

This year I'm staying at a hotel closer to the airport and driving my rental to the Tennis Garden and taking the shuttle from there. I figure it will be quicker than the long shuttle ride from PS.
    Last edited by orangejulius; 02-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

I haven't stayed at a hotel for Coachella, but I have for some other festivals, like OSL.

As everyone has pointed out there are pros and cons of each choice. For me, I like planning in advance so I can make the actual days there as hassle free as possible. With camping you have to get there on Thursday before 5pm if you want a good camp spot. You also need to have some gear (at least a canopy, sleepign bag, pillow, cooler, etc.). Everything else you can either buy (food, ice-though I recommend brigning some block ice or dry ice, Beer/Alcohol-I recommend the Ralph's shuttle if you didn't bring yours or need additional) or bring with you. After you have your stuff there, you have a lot less to worry about. True, you don't get hot showers as easily, but honestly, with how hot it was Weeekend 2, I preferred cool showers. Hot showers were also not a problem if you went right after the music ended each night or aroudn noon everyday. Plus, shortly after walking around the venue, you are sweaty anyways.

With a hotel, you have a lot less to worry about pre-Coachella, but more to worry about during the day. You can check in on Thursday or Friday (though Thursday is still better). You have to make sure you are ready for shuttle times or deal with traffic/parking. You have to bring all of your stuff and either put in your car or rent a locker. You then usually are at the fair grounds all day, so dont' forget hte sweater, change of clothes, whatever. No returning to the hotel to change or grab dinner (unless you have a large very chunk of time to miss). You also have to spend a lot more on food/drinks at the venue. Not to mention the high cost of the hotel room itself. Yes, you probably do get more sleep in an air conditioned room, but you also miss out on all the partying and activities in the campgrounds. Thursday night in camping was such a huge blast for me.

I'm in my late 20s and I highly recommend camping if you don't mind a few nights without as much sleep. DO bring earplugs for either camping OR hotels because people are rowdy everywhere. Be smart about camping (read through the message boards and read all the tips) and it can be a HIGHLY enjoyable time.

This is my third coachella and I am staying in a hotel again.

I am 38 years old and I need to sleep in order to enjoy the next day.
    Last year, I danced my ass off through Pulp, Rapture and M83 and got so tired that I had to stay seated during Refused.
    Crazy party after midnight? No thanks.
    Plus, as it's a long long way from where I live to coachella, I try to minimize the baggage and checklists.
    So I simply buy the hotel travel package.

If I was 25, I would try camping tho.

>> Here's a quick question for those who hotelled previously.
    Can I park my car at the day parking lot on Thursday in the late afternoon if I feel like going and taking a look around?
    Is it a bad idea cause the road will be already loaded with the campers?
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Something I overheard a couple Coachellas ago..."I'm an adult, I'm not camping."

I'm 39 this year and I say camping all the way. shame on you 30 somethings for playing the "Roger Murtaugh" card. 39 is the new 37!!
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Do both. Adding car camping is $80 for the weekend and worth it to have a home base during the festival and then a sanctuary (hotel and all the amenities) at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I'm 39 this year and I say camping all the way. shame on you 30 somethings for playing the "Roger Murtaugh" card. 39 is the new 37!!
    Yeah, like WTF Scenic? I'm 36, I hoteled it for 10 years, camped in 2011 (missed 2012) but I have no desire to go back to hoteling after my camping experience. Bunch of sissies. Waking up, cracking a beer, taking a nice hot shower, tossing on clothes, and walking over to the farmers market for some green drink and then into the polo fields is awesome. I slept like a baby, made sexy time plenty, and never felt unclean. The shower lines aren't that bad either. Screw whoever said "if you care about hygiene" - that's a load of crap.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

well if you can survive with little sleep i say you do camping, its fun all night long. Hotels have the advantage of sleep and hygiene. Camping you get to go in and out of the festival at your will, walk to the farmers market and just enjoy the area.

Smile Re: To camp or hotel...

ive camped the past 6 years mainly because of lots of issues with exiting way back when and finding reasonable accommodations. it is always challenging to pack up life for 5 days, but well worth it in the long run. i was over 30 when i started attending and knew camping was the only way to make the most of it. i can't wait til this year because this will be the first time to really prepare as i have had major work stuff to do right before the fest. i'm going weekend 2 this year though to do so, but am sure the extra prep time will definitely maximize my enjoyment.

I've camped off site, on site, and stayed at a hotel.

Fuck staying anywhere off festival grounds. the last thing i want to do is sit in my car in a parking lot after every night for 2 hours trying to get out, and even worse is being really excited to enter the fest every day, except you have to sit in a line of cars for up to 2 hours trying to park and get in, and end up missing bands.

Onsite camping allows you to walk to and from within 10 minutes, and allowing you to go back to your campsite as much as you want to eat, sleep, do drugs, whatever. Onsite camping is the way to go.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

How is this even a debate? CAMP. You can go back and forth all day to you campsite to refuel / do whatever. You don't have to sit in the cluster fuck that is trying to leave the show. There are tons of amazing people from all over the world having amazing parties all night long...need I go on? Bring earplugs and an air mattress if you don't want to party but ff you want to stay in a hotel, go to Hawaii or something. CAMP and be social. You wont regret it!!!
    Last edited by themule; 02-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Leaving the parking lot at night is not as bad as it used to be. At least in my experience.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Not having to wait in line (or pay for) hot showers is also a big benefit of a hotel.
    If you don't shower between 8 and 11 in the morning -- when EVERYONE else does -- there's no line. I've never waited in line to shower, and never even saw anyone else showering at the same time I did.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I only camped once in 2007, and oh my god, I did not get any sleep on the Thursday night before the festival. People were noisy as FUCK. I think I got a total for 12 hours of sleep the entire weekend.
    Bring earplugs and Benadryl.

Quote Originally Posted by artisticcreator View Post
    Under 30 go for the camping.
    I'm 40, have money, and wouldn't consider not camping. It's part of the experience. If comfort was a priority, I wouldn't go to a festival.
    Last edited by xmichaelyx; 02-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.