Thread: Under 18 border crossing

Thumbs down Under 18 border crossing

anyone have any information on crossing the US/Canada border when under 18??? me and my friends are thinking about going to coachella and we need to know if we need someone above 18 to come with us or if we can go by ourselves.

Default Re: Under 18 border crossing

Just drive by customs as fast as you can. You might get shot at but that's all part of the Coachella adventure!
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

^^^ thanks for the suggestion but i think im gonna try the less potentialy lethal way of doing this

Quote Originally Posted by IAMTHEMUSIC View Post
    anyone have any information on crossing the US/Canada border when under 18??? me and my friends are thinking about going to coachella and we need to know if we need someone above 18 to come with us or if we can go by ourselves.
    My underage friend, I think you are best advised to check with the US Department of immigration, as opposed to relying on the opinions here.....the people here have nothing to lose if you get denied entry!

you shouldn't have any problems crossing the border, I used to cross the US/Mexico border all the time when I was under 18

right now ATX (that's Austin, TX for you squares)

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

befroe oyu wouldnt have a problem..... but recently laws have changed.

first of all, anyone underage has to be with someone over 18 and each one of u has to have a written form of permission by ur parents. And now, i believe you need a passport at well. I know that a law jsut passed requring even americna citizens to have a passport if they are comming form a US territory. Check with both countries immigration deparments....US and Canada. Same appliesfor all you people in mexico comming across.
    see kids, Lily Allen is proof, you can go from being a drug dealer in Ibiza, to a musical star, and eventually play at coachella

thanks for the advice. i also need to know if the on-site camping all people need to be 18+ as i have found out that some of my friends that are coming will be 18 by the time the event comes around and we just wanna get a campground on-site if we can. thanks for all the help.

First off, passport. You must have a passport to cross now, so I'd get one of those now because they cost about 100$, and take about 6 weeks to process. As far as being underage, you will have to have signed permission for everyone in your party, and I think you might have to have someone of at least 18 years fo age in your group. I'd just contact the the border patrol though.

right now ATX (that's Austin, TX for you squares)

they say for onsite cmaping u gotta be 18 or older....but i have yet to see them enforce it. I mean as long as you dont like like you're 12 or 13 ...i dont thik they will ask for ur ID
    see kids, Lily Allen is proof, you can go from being a drug dealer in Ibiza, to a musical star, and eventually play at coachella

Quote Originally Posted by maddjester View Post
    they say for onsite cmaping u gotta be 18 or older....but i have yet to see them enforce it. I mean as long as you dont like like you're 12 or 13 ...i dont thik they will ask for ur ID
    they check your ID when they give you the wristband for camping. Once you have the wristband, they don't check your ID and you are sent through a shorter security line. This is opposed to waiting in the longer "check-in" line, which you only do once. And yes, you must be 18 to camp.

i saw them enforce it pretty heavily in 2004

okay cause there will be i think 3 of us 17 and 2 18. is it a thourough id check. like black light style or is it just a quick check? cause we could get some decent fakes if its just a quick look to make sure ur 18.

Hide yourself inside a pinata. I'll crack it open once you get across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMTHEMUSIC View Post
    okay cause there will be i think 3 of us 17 and 2 18. is it a thourough id check. like black light style or is it just a quick check? cause we could get some decent fakes if its just a quick look to make sure ur 18.
    again, their is only one pre-wristband ID check-in.
    Usually, its broad daylight when I arrive early to check in, and even security guards know a 12 year old when they see one ;-)

otherwise, the ID has to be good enough so that a bartender will look at it and be willing to serve you a drink. ( even if you are a dude and ugly )

ya were all at least 17 and have been asked if we want to sit in the bar at almost every restaurant we've gone to in the last like 1.5 years so a good fake will work???
    EDIT
    and ya were all pretty ugly dudes so should we be good with good fakes???
    Last edited by IAMTHEMUSIC; 01-23-2007 at 03:05 PM.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

befroe oyu wouldnt have a problem..... but recently laws have changed.

first of all, anyone underage has to be with someone over 18 and each one of u has to have a written form of permission by ur parents. And now, i believe you need a passport at well. I know that a law jsut passed requring even americna citizens to have a passport if they are comming form a US territory. Check with both countries immigration deparments....US and Canada. Same appliesfor all you people in mexico comming across.
    The Passport law the recently when into effect only applies to air travel to the US from Canada, you still only require photo ID and a birth certificate to cross the border by land.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

This law will be applying to ground by this time next year but for this years Coachella it will not yet be in effect.

Try this...

You might want to seriously consider getting a fake ID if you are under 18. I'm sure someone else here can tell you how and where to get one in the LA area.

Just draw a fake ID, it works.

get your parents to write a letter stating that they are giving you permission to travel to california and include the specific dates you will be traveling. include their contanct information, make sure they sign it and get it notorized (sign it in front of the notory). i have had immigration officials think i was running away from home when traveling without a letter like this.