Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Sasquatch v Coachella

  1. #1
    Member lostatlimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    170

    Default Sasquatch v Coachella

    I was completely on board with the Coachella 2013 being all about the undercard and a step away from the bad EDM and reliance on headliners, but now that I'm looking at the Sasquatch lineup that arguement doesn't hold. There's maybe 5 solid acts at Coachella that Sasquatch didn't also land or just had last year.

    So, regional and population biases aside... what does Coachella have over Sasquatch this year?
    https://soundcloud.com/longaisles

    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, Broken Bells, Jagwar Ma, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Caravan Palace, The Glitch Mob, Woodkid
    Saturday: MGMT, Fatboy Slim, CHVRCHES, Washed Out, Future Islands, DARKSIDE, Banks, Bear Hands, Galantis, Warpaint, Mogwai, Nas, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Little Dragon, Chance the Rapper, STRFKR, Aluna George, Flight Facilities, J Roddy Walston

  2. #2
    old school concertgoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,441

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    I was completely on board with the Coachella 2013 being all about the undercard and a step away from the bad EDM and reliance on headliners, but now that I'm looking at the Sasquatch lineup that arguement doesn't hold. There's maybe 5 solid acts at Coachella that Sasquatch didn't also land or just had last year.

    So, regional and population biases aside... what does Coachella have over Sasquatch this year?
    Cant tell if serious....

  3. #3
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    I was completely on board with the Coachella 2013 being all about the undercard and a step away from the bad EDM and reliance on headliners, but now that I'm looking at the Sasquatch lineup that arguement doesn't hold. There's maybe 5 solid acts at Coachella that Sasquatch didn't also land or just had last year.

    So, regional and population biases aside... what does Coachella have over Sasquatch this year?
    Coachella has about 150 acts that Sasquatch does not. I laughed at the announcement last night.

  4. #4
    Member footixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The "NO"
    Posts
    1,701

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    So, regional and population biases aside... what does Coachella have over Sasquatch this year?
    Date Shakes Fool...you go to a festival for location location location....

    Last edited by footixy; 02-05-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    Papi Piratón!

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,450

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Date Shakes Fool...

    Truthe has been applied to this conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  6. #6
    Member skavenbrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dana Point, CA
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    I was completely on board with the Coachella 2013 being all about the undercard and a step away from the bad EDM and reliance on headliners, but now that I'm looking at the Sasquatch lineup that arguement doesn't hold. There's maybe 5 solid acts at Coachella that Sasquatch didn't also land or just had last year.

    So, regional and population biases aside... what does Coachella have over Sasquatch this year?
    I can't tell if you're coming or going... is this a negative comment or a positive one? It seems to be both... please clairfy, my interest is peaked.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    only reason to choose sasquatch is Death Grips

  8. #8

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Doesn't really seem like they can rely on their headliners either. Not that their bad, but it wouldn't make me choose Sasquatch over Coachella.

  9. #9
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,577

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    what does Coachella have over Sasquatch this year?
    You're a complete idiot if you can't figure that out on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,439

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Blur, Bat for Lashes, the live debut of How to Destroy Angels, Nick Cave, Grinderman, Lou Reed, Sparks, Stone Roses, New Order, Violent Femmes, Jurassic 5, dead can dance, Rodriguez, Janelle Monae, Wu Tang Clan, Puscifer for starters
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go

  11. #11

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    I saw it today. It's very poor compared.

  12. #12
    Lurker 11WIZARD11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LONG BEACH
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    They got mumford to headline... Suckersss

  13. #13
    Member wompwomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    If you think the lineups are equal (I don't think Sasquatch compares to Coachella, but that's just my opinion), the only thing Sasquatch has over Coachella is the venue. The Gorge is one of the most incredible places to see a show.

    Other than that, it's not even close. Coachella is much better organized, the sound is infinitely better, more stages (and the acts are not spread out over 4 days, which is too long in my opinion), much better food (the food at Sasquatch is atrocious), better atmosphere (I find Sasquatch to be a lot more chill than Coachella), better weather, proximity to the campground (expect about an hour trek to and from your campsite at Sasquatch), etc. etc.

  14. #14
    Member orangejulius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Blur, Bat for Lashes, the live debut of How to Destroy Angels, Nick Cave, Grinderman, Lou Reed, Sparks, Stone Roses, New Order, Violent Femmes, Jurassic 5, dead can dance, Rodriguez, Janelle Monae, Wu Tang Clan, Puscifer for starters
    Basically my view. The undercard is remarkably similar with a few differences. I was near to going to Sasquatch this year, but that lineup makes me feel better about deciding on Coachella this year. Really no contest.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

  15. #15

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Having been to both festivals, Coachella is better than Sasquatch in pretty much every way. The Gorge is pretty, but IMO the amphitheater is a shitty festival venue bc it completely divides the audience energy between those in the pit and those on the hill. The flat grass surface of the Polo Fields creates a oneness that is essential to the Coachella experience. I hated the no ins-and-outs policy for campers at Sasquatch; not sure if it's the same at Coachy or not.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    they are two completely different festivals with two completely different motives. if you cant understand that then you cant be helped.

  17. #17
    Member Lemonpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The DP
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Do they have Dogblood? Hell no! We have Dogblood !
    The Replacements --> The Knife --> Outkast

  18. #18
    Member lostatlimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    It isn't a negative or positive comment, just a question. The general consensus is that Coachella 2013 is about the undercard acts and I'm wondering if they can really compete that way long term when lil brother Sasquatch is increasingly landing most of the same acts. They aren't the same lineup, but they're pretty close.

    I would miss Purity Ring, Janelle Monae and a few others, but my point is - shouldn't Coachella's lineup be considerably bigger and better? It shouldn't even be close! I guess there's probably a big gap for fans of Nick Cave and Brit Rock, but beyond that you have a few reunions that could easily be train wrecks and... yeah.

    I've been to both and they are both amazing in their own ways. The Gorge is a sight to behold at sunset and the vibe is a little more hippy and less bro-y (or at least more of the bros are Canadian and less obnoxious). Both offer a very different experience - I won't argue that, but that lineup is the closest its ever been.
    Last edited by lostatlimbo; 02-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    https://soundcloud.com/longaisles

    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, Broken Bells, Jagwar Ma, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Caravan Palace, The Glitch Mob, Woodkid
    Saturday: MGMT, Fatboy Slim, CHVRCHES, Washed Out, Future Islands, DARKSIDE, Banks, Bear Hands, Galantis, Warpaint, Mogwai, Nas, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Little Dragon, Chance the Rapper, STRFKR, Aluna George, Flight Facilities, J Roddy Walston

  19. #19
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,577

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Jesus God. Sell your ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  20. #20
    Member lostatlimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by wompwomp View Post
    If you think the lineups are equal (I don't think Sasquatch compares to Coachella, but that's just my opinion), the only thing Sasquatch has over Coachella is the venue. The Gorge is one of the most incredible places to see a show.

    Other than that, it's not even close. Coachella is much better organized, the sound is infinitely better, more stages (and the acts are not spread out over 4 days, which is too long in my opinion), much better food (the food at Sasquatch is atrocious), better atmosphere (I find Sasquatch to be a lot more chill than Coachella), better weather, proximity to the campground (expect about an hour trek to and from your campsite at Sasquatch), etc. etc.
    I guess a lot of this is preference. I would prefer 4 days for better opportunities to see everyone (Coachella conflicts are going to be maddening this year), I like the chilled out vibe at Sasquatch to the "be seen and spot celebrities" vibe at Coachella, and I like the warm days and brisk nights of the Gorge over the 105 sweltering all day long at Coachella. The food is awful at Sasquatch though - no argument there. And you're probably right about sound/management.

    I don't want it to seem as if I dislike Coachella. I had an amazing time last year and I'm very, very excited to return (though I hope the heat is more manageable this year - it really got to me by Sunday last time). Maybe I just need to go to both this time.
    https://soundcloud.com/longaisles

    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, Broken Bells, Jagwar Ma, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Caravan Palace, The Glitch Mob, Woodkid
    Saturday: MGMT, Fatboy Slim, CHVRCHES, Washed Out, Future Islands, DARKSIDE, Banks, Bear Hands, Galantis, Warpaint, Mogwai, Nas, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Little Dragon, Chance the Rapper, STRFKR, Aluna George, Flight Facilities, J Roddy Walston

  21. #21
    Member itsgonrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    I really wanted to do both this year but with the similar yet underwhelming Sasquatch lineup, I'll keep my monies this year....
    last.fm
    2011,2012
    Friday: Yuck Kendrick Lamar Other Lives The Black Angels Frank Ocean M83 The Rapture Explosions in the Sky Amon Tobin
    Saturday: Radiohead Bon Iver Miike Snow Flying Lotus SBTRKT A$AP Rocky Azealia Banks We Were Promised Jetpacks Keep Shelly in Athens
    Sunday: At The Drive-In Dr. Dre & Snoop The Weeknd Justice Modeselektor Santigold Nero Thundercat Metronomy Wild Beasts Real Estate

    *subject to change

  22. #22
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,056

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    It isn't a negative or positive comment, just a question. The general consensus is that Coachella 2013 is about the undercard acts and I'm wondering if they can really compete that way long term when lil brother Sasquatch is increasingly landing most of the same acts. They aren't the same lineup, but they're pretty close.

    I would miss Purity Ring, Janelle Monae and a few others, but my point is - shouldn't Coachella's lineup be considerably bigger and better? It shouldn't even be close! I guess there's probably a big gap for fans of Nick Cave and Brit Rock, but beyond that you have a few reunions that could easily be train wrecks and... yeah.

    I've been to both and they are both amazing in their own ways. The Gorge is a sight to behold at sunset and the vibe is a little more hippy and less bro-y (or at least more of the bros are Canadian and less obnoxious). Both offer a very different experience - I won't argue that, but that lineup is the closest its ever been.
    MSG us when your testicles descend
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    I was gonna start this thread but then I saw 2 of the same one. My 2 cents are that they are remarkably similar, they got some stuff coach should have got, but coach is the better fest because it is the better fest
    DRUGS ON KIDS

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Seattle 1992
    Posts
    787

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    It seems like the Sasquatch lineup gets weaker and weaker every year in my opinion. I had planned before both lineup announcements to do both Coachella and Sasquatch this year. I'm just doing Coachella or Primavera Sound instead.

  25. #25
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    8,741

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    so is this the new thing now? make a thread comparing lineups to every fucking festival on the planet?
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans


    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

  26. #26
    Member Pea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,303

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    I was gonna start this thread but then I saw 2 of the same one. My 2 cents are that they are remarkably similar, they got some stuff coach should have got, but coach is the better fest because it is the better fest
    HOLY SHIT GET THE FUCK OFF THE INTERNET IF YOU'RE GOING TO TYPE LIKE A TWELVE YEAR OLD

  27. #27
    Member Sensuality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    749

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Sasquatch is just a smaller, more indie-rock focused festival that caters to the Northwest hipsters who are too cool and too broke to travel to Coachella and actually get their money's worth at a real festie.

    To be honest though, the Gorge is quite a nice venue though. They have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

  28. #28
    old school kvnty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    @swim2birds
    Posts
    3,048

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    um, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

  29. #29

    Default Re: Sasquatch v Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Blur, Bat for Lashes, the live debut of How to Destroy Angels, Nick Cave, Grinderman, Lou Reed, Sparks, Stone Roses, New Order, Violent Femmes, Jurassic 5, dead can dance, Rodriguez, Janelle Monae, Wu Tang Clan, Puscifer for starters
    phoenix, band of horses, metric, two door cinema club, moby, eric fucking prydz, simian mobile disco, james blake, the stone roses, franz ferdinand, yeasayer, bassnectar, richie hawtin, dinosaur jr. that right there is better than all of sasquatchs lineup

Similar Threads

  1. Coachella vs Sasquatch
    By moham1989 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 11:39 PM
  2. Coachella vs. Sasquatch vs. Bonnaroo
    By kananilove in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 11:25 PM
  3. Sasquatch vs Coachella
    By OCMusicJunkie in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM
  4. Sasquatch >> Coachella Line Up for 1/2 the price
    By Verbal138 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •